Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 415
Default Men's Basketball shooting woes continue

The hoops team is 12 for 49 from 3 in their 2 exhibition games. This is a carryover from last year. Maybe these young kids just can't shoot. Hopefully it gets better.

On a positive note the overall offense looked better. They did a better job of spacing and moving the ball around to get an open shot. They just missed often.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 PM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,782
Default

I am somewhat worried about the shooting as well. Obviously, the hope is that guys like Las and Hubb find their groove from behind the arc and you obviously have Mooney as well. Whatever Gibbs provides is gravy, because my confidence in him has dropped off considerably.

The positives is this team feels way more talented defensively than last year, especially with Rex and Carmody back in the mix. They should do a good job containing most of their opponents.

I am also not expecting most of these sophomores, specifically, to need to be lights out every game for the team to be solid. If Las, Goodwin and Hubb can each have days where they play very well that will help.

With all that said, next year should be year they really get back into a legitimate threat in the ACC. The 2018 class will be juniors. Ryan will be eligible and Durham and Dickinson (hopefully) will be forces on both sides of the court in the post.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2019, 01:57 AM
BrianKellyTheMan BrianKellyTheMan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW OHIO
Posts: 2,168
Default

Update the sophomores still suck and Breys time at ND is slipping fast.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 AM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 415
Default

I want to be positive about this team, but they just can't shoot. It really is just that simple, and it makes them not fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM
BrianKellyTheMan BrianKellyTheMan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW OHIO
Posts: 2,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
I want to be positive about this team, but they just can't shoot. It really is just that simple, and it makes them not fun to watch.
All 4 sophomores were top 100. Itís hard to believe they canít shoot. Makes me wonder if the coaching is the reason.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM
irishrush irishrush is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rochester, NY area
Posts: 959
Default

It is really hard to watch them play. There is no good ball movement. I believe Carmondy had a serious knee injury, so this will make for an even longer season.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 AM
BrianKellyTheMan BrianKellyTheMan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW OHIO
Posts: 2,168
Default

Update the sophomores still suck and not sure who sucks at ranking these guys.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2019, 04:12 AM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
Update the sophomores still suck and not sure who sucks at ranking these guys.
And as I said in the other thread this year and last years teams are the most unathletic teams I have seen in the Brey era. I wish people would stop looking through their rose colored glasses and face reality.....we stink.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Frankus Frankus is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
And as I said in the other thread this year and last years teams are the most unathletic teams I have seen in the Brey era. I wish people would stop looking through their rose colored glasses and face reality.....we stink.
I would like to see a lineup of Laz, Durham, Mooney, Rex and Gibbs in a low post offense and a zone defense. Durham and Mooney are both good passers and Laz would benefit by getting closer shots. Hubb and Goodwin are both terrible shooters, yet they shoot from the rafters like they think they're Larry Bird. I'd bring them off the bench, but discipline their shot selection. Hubb also needs a lot of work on learning how to finish off the fast break. That's where I'd emphasize his growth, not shooting more 3 point shots.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 PM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I would like to see a lineup of Laz, Durham, Mooney, Rex and Gibbs in a low post offense and a zone defense. Durham and Mooney are both good passers and Laz would benefit by getting closer shots. Hubb and Goodwin are both terrible shooters, yet they shoot from the rafters like they think they're Larry Bird. I'd bring them off the bench, but discipline their shot selection. Hubb also needs a lot of work on learning how to finish off the fast break. That's where I'd emphasize his growth, not shooting more 3 point shots.
Thanks for thinking positive. I am Sorry for being so negative I am usually not like that. I had higher hopes for this years team....at least NIT hopes. But watching them get beat by BC in front of a half empty arena just really got to me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Frankus Frankus is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Thanks for thinking positive. I am Sorry for being so negative I am usually not like that. I had higher hopes for this years team....at least NIT hopes. But watching them get beat by BC in front of a half empty arena just really got to me.
I hear ya. My family and I have had season tickets since 1968. I was really hoping that Brey would capitalize on the run he had with Grant, Connaughton, Bonzie , Auguste and Farrell but he's taken a giant leap backwards talent wise. I doubt if he'll change the offense, but they can't shoot and there's no scorer other than Mooney. Lazsewski was rated #51 in the nation, but he's way too slow to play on the perimeter. When he was in the game, BC went right at him and by him and scored at will, which is why he didn't play much. He needs to play inside in a zone, but I suspect nothing is going to change and it's going to be another long year. The talent, particularly a lack of quickness, is way down.

Last edited by Frankus; Yesterday at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Last Updated: December 10, 2019

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.