Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default ND Loses to UNC

Notre Dame actually played fairly well at UNC, leading 36-33 going into the half. But with about 5 minutes left in the game, UNC went on an 8-0 run and took control.

ND still really struggled shooting the three, going 10-28, but they actually shot fairly well early in the game to stay in it and take the lead.

It was a good game honestly. There were a bunch of lead changes and it never felt like a blowout, even at the end when ND was down by 10. ND's lack of a bench really hurt them tonight. It was a great game in the second half, but you could tell ND just had no legs with about 5 minutes left.

It's a young team, obviously. They'll be lucky to go .500 in ACC play.

John Mooney played really well - 16 points and 19 rebounds - just wish he would have taken more threes.

TJ Gibbs played awful. Again. He finished with 5 points, going 1-9 FG and 1-5 3PT. ND cannot win if he doesn't play well. I know he was sick, but he is shooting 36.3% from the floor and 37.0% from three for the season. Just not good enough with such a young team.

Hubb started hot, making 3 of his first 4 threes, but then he missed 5 of his last 6. Still, he had 18 points and kept ND in the game.

Harvey played well and shot over 50%, finishing with 15 points.

Still waiting on Nate Laszewski to start making shots. All I heard about him as a recruit was that he could shoot lights out. He was 1-5 from three today, after going 0-7 on Saturday against BC. He's only a freshman, but he's going to need to pick it up for ND to win some ACC games.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Gibbs just doesn't look right this year. His shot selection has been terrible and he seems to be forcing it.

I hope he gets it figured out soon.

I think Laz will figure it out. I've seen a few games where he can't miss and then these last two...

Kinds of sucks that we are wasting this unbelievable year that Mooney is posting. Wish we were a year ahead with this group.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Domer Domain Junior

This is one of the youngest teams I have ever seen Brey field...Definitely a learning curve year. I was actually impressed by their overall play last night. I will say, based on my first impressions of Mooney when I saw him, if you would have told me he would be their leader....most consistent player on the team, I would have said no freakin' way.....Well, IMO he is....Props to him for obviously putting the work in. Definitely a lot of work to be done..Gibbs is coming off the flu, but needs to be more consistent. Hubbs needs to drive more and develop that confidence. Durahm needs to continue to be a force when he is in, and IMO, play as much as his stamina will let him. I believe Harvey needs to be the leader of this team. I think he has the potential to be a great player..
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrb View Post
This is one of the youngest teams I have ever seen Brey field...Definitely a learning curve year. I was actually impressed by their overall play last night. I will say, based on my first impressions of Mooney when I saw him, if you would have told me he would be their leader....most consistent player on the team, I would have said no freakin' way.....Well, IMO he is....Props to him for obviously putting the work in. Definitely a lot of work to be done..Gibbs is coming off the flu, but needs to be more consistent. Hubbs needs to drive more and develop that confidence. Durahm needs to continue to be a force when he is in, and IMO, play as much as his stamina will let him. I believe Harvey needs to be the leader of this team. I think he has the potential to be a great player..
Agree with a lot of this. They need to learn how to finish games together. They will, and when they do they will take a big step forward. Along with this they lack a strong go to guy at the end of games. I think Harvey is going to be that guy. He is starting to knock down 3's and that is going to be huge to him developing as a star.

When Gibbs and Hubb play within the flow of the offense they are great. When they don't these two struggle. More consistency with this will also yield big returns for the team as a whole.

I noticed that a lot of shots that Laszewski is missing, he is on running into them or off the dribble. Right now the formula to getting him back on track is getting it to him when he is set and square. The one he his last night he was set and it looked much more natural.

Durham needs to play more. I'm not buying it's a stamina issue. This is what Brey does. He falls in love with guys and doesn't want to bring them off the floor. He gravitates to shooters. Which is fine, but Durham brings something to the floor no one else can. I know he is coming off an injury, but he needs to see the floor more than 13 min.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Agree with a lot of this. They need to learn how to finish games together. They will, and when they do they will take a big step forward. Along with this they lack a strong go to guy at the end of games. I think Harvey is going to be that guy. He is starting to knock down 3's and that is going to be huge to him developing as a star.

When Gibbs and Hubb play within the flow of the offense they are great. When they don't these two struggle. More consistency with this will also yield big returns for the team as a whole.

I noticed that a lot of shots that Laszewski is missing, he is on running into them or off the dribble. Right now the formula to getting him back on track is getting it to him when he is set and square. The one he his last night he was set and it looked much more natural.

Durham needs to play more. I'm not buying it's a stamina issue. This is what Brey does. He falls in love with guys and doesn't want to bring them off the floor. He gravitates to shooters. Which is fine, but Durham brings something to the floor no one else can. I know he is coming off an injury, but he needs to see the floor more than 13 min.

Ya, that is actually what I meant...He NEEDS to play as much as his stamina will allow him...totally agree that it is just Brey not playing him right now....Durham has issues....slow feet...leaves his feet to quickly...but he definitely brings things to the table that others can't, and isn't going to get better by the amount of time Brey is letting him play!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
I agree with this. I have season tickets and have watched a lot of games. Instead of developing the team's offense for the future with Durham having a prime role, Brey's strategy is to pass the ball on the perimeter to burn time and then have one of his shooter's try to create something. They never run the break and Durham never even flashes in the middle. It's awful basketball to watch, which is why the arena is half full.