Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Mickens To Be Named New CB Coach

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

No ideal who this guy is. But Iím sure this is going to ruffle some feathers.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Brief Bio

Played CB at Cincinnati from 2005-2008, earning Second-Team All-American and First Team All Big East honors as a junior in 2007, and Second-Team All Big East Honors in 2005-2006, 2008. He started 46 of a possible 47 games (less games due to a knee injury his senior season) and is Cincinnati's all-time leader in INTs.

He was drafted in the 7th Round of the NFL Draft by Dallas. He went from Dallas to Tampa Bay to Cincinnati in his only year in the NFL, then played one year in the CFL. It sounds like his knee injury really derailed his career.

He was a defensive assistant at Cincinnati in 2011 and then Indiana State in 2012. He then coached CBs at Idaho (2013), Bowling Green (2014-2017), and then Cincinnati (2017-2019).

The year before he arrived at Cincinnati, the Bearcats finished 113th in passing efficiency defense. In 2018, they finished 13th, and in 2019, they finished 15th. They were T9 in INTs in 2019.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

First reaction is:

Sweet another Kelly guy, whatís new.

Second look says the stats suggest he can coach alright.

Iíll give him 6 games.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Great hire
Old 02-14-2020, 01:55 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Great hire
Agree. Cincy was a very good defensive team in the secondary last 2 years. Think he will be a good recruiter also. Good ft for ND and think Kelly did well with this hire. He now has Mickens, who he coached at UC, and Rees, who he coached at ND, on his staff.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:14 AM
Domer Domain All American

This is a good hire. Happy.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM

While Mickens played for coach Kelly, this isnít really want anyone should consider a Kelly hire. Heís been a coach or analyst since 2011 and never with Kelly. He did an outstanding job at every stop - always having great secondary production and is viewed as a really good recruiter as well.

Also, one little quick tidbit: All coaches hire guys they are familiar with. I hear the same crap with every team I follow in professional sports too. This isnít some Kelly specific thing, and thatís what bugs me most about the fanbase when this happens. Itís a common hiring practice lol.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Good point. The distinction, I believe, is when a coach ignores multiple failures when hiring someone with whom he has a history. When Kelly chose Van Gorder, a good portion of Van Gorder's CV seemed questionable.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Also, based on what i have seen from Cincy fans is that he is an above average recruiter.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
While Mickens played for coach Kelly, this isnít really want anyone should consider a Kelly hire. Heís been a coach or analyst since 2011 and never with Kelly. He did an outstanding job at every stop - always having great secondary production and is viewed as a really good recruiter as well.

Also, one little quick tidbit: All coaches hire guys they are familiar with. I hear the same crap with every team I follow in professional sports too. This isnít some Kelly specific thing, and thatís what bugs me most about the fanbase when this happens. Itís a common hiring practice lol.
It's not just football. Networking / getting jobs through connections is part of pretty much every business.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
It's not just football. Networking / getting jobs through connections is part of pretty much every business.
Exactly. That was honestly my biggest point, was just using football as an example.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreIrishDad View Post
Good point. The distinction, I believe, is when a coach ignores multiple failures when hiring someone with whom he has a history. When Kelly chose Van Gorder, a good portion of Van Gorder's CV seemed questionable.
And thatís fair. Not every hire is gonna work out - and coaches can learn from past mistakes as well.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

This is a really good hire. He might be an ex Kelly player, but the mfíer can coach
Old 02-16-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
This is a really good hire. He might be an ex Kelly player, but the mfíer can coach
Yeah. Staffs getting younger as BK gets older, this is really smart because older coaches constantly wonder if the age gap between them and the players is too large.

He's another one of these up and coming guys that will bring energy to the staff, like Rees will on offense

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Yeah. Staffs getting younger as BK gets older, this is really smart because older coaches constantly wonder if the age gap between them and the players is too large.

He's another one of these up and coming guys that will bring energy to the staff, like Rees will on offense
Not to be Debbie Downer but I am fairly sure that similar things were said about Chip Long.

Kelly's hit rate on his previous coordinator hires prior to Rees has not great. Elko and Lea were good hires. BVG and Long both had to be let go in the middle of their third season. Sanford was probably somewhere in the middle.

It also appears that Lyght and Denson did not completely live up to expectations while the jury is still out on Quinn.

Hopefully, Mickens will be a good hire but it is too early to know for sure.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Not to be Debbie Downer but I am fairly sure that similar things were said about Chip Long.

Kelly's hit rate on his previous coordinator hires prior to Rees has not great. Elko and Lea were good hires. BVG and Long both had to be let go in the middle of their third season. Sanford was probably somewhere in the middle.

It also appears that Lyght and Denson did not completely live up to expectations while the jury is still out on Quinn.

Elko Lea Diaco were pretty great hires as DC. BVG was terrible. 3 out of 4

Denbrock was pretty good. Long was good. Just didnt get along with staff. His results were good though.

On coaches, Lyght was a very good coach on the field. Just not a great recruiter. Same with Denson with Denson being a worse recruiter

Taylor looks to be a great hire so far.

I expect Mickens to be very good
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:

We can say that with all hires. Long was good for awhile, never great. BVG had the fist pump moment. Its hard to know, I hoping Kelly is coming in with an identity.. I.E. we're a running team with a varied 4-2-5 defense. With me I'd spread it out and run it this year, and get it to playmakers in space.

It seemed like the ND player legends were not known as recruiters. Need recruiters at DB and RB, Mickens and TAYLOR i Think thats solved with these two. this year and last year. 5 star rb's make plays and we need them. Kyle Hamilton makes plays and WE NEED him and more. Its recruiting now, period.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 02-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
We can say that with all hires. Long was good for awhile, never great. BVG had the fist pump moment. Its hard to know, I hoping Kelly is coming in with an identity.. I.E. we're a running team with a varied 4-2-5 defense. With me I'd spread it out and run it this year, and get it to playmakers in space.

It seemed like the ND player legends were not known as recruiters. Need recruiters at DB and RB, Mickens and TAYLOR i Think thats solved with these two. this year and last year. 5 star rb's make plays and we need them. Kyle Hamilton makes plays and WE NEED him and more. Its recruiting now, period.
I agree. College football is hugely dependent on recruiting. I am glad that Kelly finally appears to publicly acknowledge you need to recruit at a high level if you want to compete for a NC.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:21 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

Heís not as ego driven as Long.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Heís not as ego driven as Long.
Sounds as if you are familiar with both coaches?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:35 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Anyone pretending they know whether this is a great hire or a terrible hire is lying to themselves in my opinion. Who knows how good of a coach a guy whose only experience is at Bowling Green and Cincinnati? I'm just happy he's a young guy.

Quote:
He’s not as ego driven as Long.
What a strange statement to make.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:30 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Sounds as if you are familiar with both coaches?
Yeah, Iím familiar with their reputation. I live in Cincy (Mickens), read the article on Long from the Athletic
Old 02-18-2020, 03:31 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
Anyone pretending they know whether this is a great hire or a terrible hire is lying to themselves in my opinion. Who knows how good of a coach a guy whose only experience is at Bowling Green and Cincinnati? I'm just happy he's a young guy.

What a strange statement to make.
I know his reputation from his time in Cincy, so itís not that strange.