Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Who makes up your sports fan DNA?

Started thinking about who made up my sports fan DNA and thought it would be cool to hear who has shaped you into the fan you are today...

Growing up, Roger Clemens was everything to me...he was confident and dominant. Reading about his dominance at the '83 CWS started it for me... The two 20k games were epic and seven Cy Young's didn't hurt either...

Spike Owen epitomized what a ball player should be...always smiling...reliable as all get out...he played the game right...

Jim Burt was a fireplug...with an ill-fitting jersey and that cool neck roll, I wanted to be Jim Burt in high school...then he set the unofficial record for Super Bowl kisses and I wanted to be a dad as awesome as him...

Chris Zorich...when that article came out in Sports Illustrated, I probably read it a hundred times. As I too came from a single parent home, he was an instant role model for determination...

Jerome Bettis - no words need to be said about what he meant to the Irish program. He brought it on every play...his efforts in the Snow Bowl and the thrashing he gave the Gators put him on a pretty high pedestal for me...

Brooks Kieschnick - I used to follow Longhorns baseball in the pages of Baseball America in the early days before the internet exploded. I never saw him throw a pitch until much later, but I loved reading about his pitching and batting prowess and collected every baseball card I could find (including the ultra rare Taco Bell Longhorns set that took me ten years to track down). i even had a custom made Longhorns Kieschnick jersey made when I was younger...

Paul Gascoigne - it started with the tears against Germany in '88 and continued on to the greatest goal I ever saw against Scotland in Euro '96...
I wish he'd be able to stay off the drink...

Two I should add as they had an impact on my love of sports:

Bob Costas - no one calls a game like Bob does...I was so glad to hear that he was doing baseball again...

W.P. Kinsella - famous for writing "Shoeless Joe" which was adapted into Field Of Dreams. But more epic is his short story "The Thrill Of The Grass" about a strike season in baseball and fans take it upon themselves to remove the articifical turf from the local team's stadium and replace it with real grass... here's a small sampling of a true word wizard...

http://share.ehs.uen.org/system/file..._the_Grass.pdf

So who or what makes up your sports fan DNA today?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Straight shot of Lou Holtz.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Wink

Pretty easy really. Being from South Bend and so close to Chicago.

Ryne Sandberg - was my hero. Played the game like it was supposed to be played. I grew up playing second base just because of him. He Moved to second when really Sandberg should had stayed at third. But he still had incredible range. Held the scoreless error streak until Jose Lind stole it away. Batted second when, really, Don Zimmer screwed up. Should had batted the sweet swinging contact hitter of Mark Grace second and the more powerful Sandberg third. But I digress.

Michael Jordan - Do I need to really go on. Who didn't want to be like Mike?
Larry Bird - because I'm white and can drain the three. Didn't take no **** from anyone.

Jerry Rice - prototypical workaholic. Showed that if you worked hard that dreams can come true. Mississippi Valley State grad who was considered to slow. But he showed them all wrong.

Lou Holtz - loved his demeanor. Reminded me of my dad. My way or get slapped upside the head. I bought a Holtz mask from Martins Supermarket when I was kid. Thanks paper route.

Ultimate Warrior and Rowdy Piper - not a shot out because they just passed away, but I wanted to be as ripped as Warrior but I'm just as insane as Piper whenever I played anybody in anything. I'm batshit crazy when I want to be.

ive always like he blue-collar type players.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Domer Domain All American

I can pretty much point to someone from each sport:

Mark Prior: I know his career was cut short due to injuries, but I was just beginning to follow professional baseball hardcore when he had his breakout season in 2003. He was/is my childhood favorite player.

Dwayne Wade: Followed his college career at Marquette and never really followed the NBA until he was drafted. He was such a joy to watch on the court before the knee injuries did him in and he's an excellent human being from all reports.

Devin Hester: Was there anyone really more fun to watch than Hester during his tenure with the Bears? Everytime he touched the ball my eyes were glued to the screen.

Brady Quinn/Golden Tate/Manti Te'o: Quinn I grew up on and is one of ND football's greats, Tate had that swagger (and still does), and Te'o is just the consummate human being in my book. It's too bad the whole fake gf thing will haunt his career.

Patrick Kane: This one is sorta on hold for obvious reasons, but I've always been one for flare and the dramatic and he has provided that for hockey fans. Currently, he's my favorite athlete of all-time, but that could change here soon.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Domer Domain Junior

As far as guys grew up with and watched, most were wrestlers from my hometown or from the the U of Iowa. Guys like Royce Alger(hometown), the Brands Brothers, Barry Davis, the Banach brothers, and probably a few I am missing. Love Coach Gable, the intensity and competitiveness that man has for the sport of wrestling is unmatched while he wrestled and coached. Gable is such a very nice and down to earth guy too always making himself available to fans. These guys were available for me to see as a kid since we have no close pro sports teams.

Baseball, I am a Cards fan. I really liked the 80's Whitey Herzog teams and my favorite players were Ozzie Smith and Willie Magee.

For football, Lou and the Irish were it for me. Players who I really liked were the Rocket, Bettis, Bryant Young, and Zorro. As far as the NFL I was a Ditka fan, intense is something I dig in coaches. Montana, Walter Peyton, Singletary, and Barry Sanders were a few I liked.

As I've gotten older and learned more about players who came before I was born, my list could expand greatly. But I'll just stick with the ones who got me started in my youth.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM

John Kruk - Traded his # for $10 and 2 cases of beer
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

The Ultimate Warrior.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Most prominent player for me: Barry Sanders, IMO, the best to play the game!

Others:
Football:
Allen Pinkett, Autry Denson, Jerome Bettis

Baseball:
Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry

Basketball:
LaPhonso Ellis, Larry Bird

WWF:
Jimmy "SuperFly" Snuka

More recently for lacrosse:
Matt Kavanagh, Jordan Wolf, Lyle Thompson, Rob Pannell.....smaller, quicker players that bring it!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:31 PM

Muhammad Ali: The OG of smack talkers. Showed that you can get into the head of your opponent enough for an advantage in winning even if they may really be able to beat you. He made it look fun.

Larry Bird: Had many of the same qualities. Was a consummate team player. Made everyone around him better and tenacious with his will to win. Also a notorious smack talker that could back it up. Class act all the way in how he handled the Isiah Thomas comments and Magic's 1st retirement.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!

Last edited by VCDomer; 08-27-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Reggie Miller for me his games against the Knicks and his antics with Spike Lee where the best. I pretty much stopped caring about the Pacers after he retired. That and the malice in the palace really turned me off.
Peyton Manning got me really interested in football, I was just a casual Colts fan until they drafted him.