Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Clemson-FSU postponed - Could be huge for ND

If Clemson doesn't make this game up, Miami would finish ahead of them, based on winning % and go to the ACC title game instead of Clemson.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
If Clemson doesn't make this game up, Miami would finish ahead of them, based on winning % and go to the ACC title game instead of Clemson.
I was wondering the same thing when I noticed the headline a moment ago. Thank you for the update. What a crazy year. Very interesting though. Irish just need to keep winning.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
I didn’t realize . I wonder how the ACC feels about that. I wouldn’t think they would want ND winning the conference title. But on the other hand if they knew Clemson would still get into the CFC they could say two of the four teams came from the ACC.

By the way the ACC title is scheduled for December 19 in Charlotte NC

Last edited by ND_JACK; 11-21-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:53 PM

Clemson would still get in the playoff, ironically, that could work out better for them. They’d probably beat ND in the rematch, but ND still beat them up pretty good in the first game. They don’t have to worry about that now.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
really? even though Clemson would be undefeated with a blowout win vs Miami, that Miami would get into the ACC championship game over Clemson.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Clemson would still get in the playoff, ironically, that could work out better for them.
How would they still get in if the FSU game is not made up and Miami has a higher winning percentage as Corysold alluded to?
Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
really? even though Clemson would be undefeated with a blowout win vs Miami, that Miami would get into the ACC championship game over Clemson.
Clemson lost to ND. They are 6-1 in conference same as Miami. If they both end up with 1 loss, but Miami has more wins, Miami would go to the conference title game.

But I also see that Miami’s last game is scheduled for Dec 19th, dame day as the title game. Also FSU and Clemson both have two open weeks at end of year to reschedule.

So it might not matter, but another cancellation for Clemson and it could get interesting.

With all the games getting cancelled, it’d probably be better if ND-UNC got cancelled.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:05 PM

FSU and Clemson both have byes on 12/12 a week prior to the ACC title game. More than likely will be made up then. If anything, Clemson will now not get a bye prior to the ACC title game. Still significant.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Clemson lost to ND. They are 6-1 in conference same as Miami. If they both end up with 1 loss, but Miami has more wins, Miami would go to the conference title game.

But I also see that Miami’s last game is scheduled for Dec 19th, dame day as the title game. Also FSU and Clemson both have two open weeks at end of year to reschedule.

So it might not matter, but another cancellation for Clemson and it could get interesting.

With all the games getting cancelled, it’d probably be better if ND-UNC got cancelled.
My point was the Committee is going to put Clemson in as long as they don’t lose another game. Even if they don’t play in the ACC Title game, they’re one of the four best teams.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 PM

Sounds like the game could’ve been played, but FSU chickened out. My god, their fall from grace in the last few yrs is stunning.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Clemson would still get in the playoff, ironically, that could work out better for them. They’d probably beat ND in the rematch, but ND still beat them up pretty good in the first game. They don’t have to worry about that now.
I only read this yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...state-football

Clemson is referenced.. a LOT. I'm not a tin foil hat guy but It does smell fishy. Like they know the implications here of not playing and how it could completely fcuk Clemson over who have stolen their thunder in the ACC..
Old 11-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko View Post
I only read this yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...state-football

Clemson is referenced.. a LOT. I'm not a tin foil hat guy but It does smell fishy. Like they know the implications here of not playing and how it could completely fcuk Clemson over who have stolen their thunder in the ACC..
Gives you a good idea how far FSU has fallen.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:55 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
FSU and Clemson both have byes on 12/12 a week prior to the ACC title game. More than likely will be made up then. If anything, Clemson will now not get a bye prior to the ACC title game. Still significant.
This was my thought when I saw the postponement. I thought it was good for ND because then they would not have 2 weeks to prepare for us. I wish we had already played Wake Forest so that we had 2 weeks. At least, now it will be more equitable.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I am not sure that this is the case.

Per the ACC guidelines https://theacc.com/sports/2020/9/23/FB_0923200510.aspx

I believe that Clemson will go ahead of Miami as long as both have 1 loss. (assuming that they both have played enough ACC games to qualify per the policy)

Quote:
in the event there is an unequal total number of conference games played among teams tied in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over win-percentage.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:19 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Yep, my thoughts exactly. Thus development may not be a blessing to ND. Clemson was pretty ticked off about the late decision to cancel vs Free Shoes U
Old 11-22-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
I am not sure that this is the case.

Per the ACC guidelines https://theacc.com/sports/2020/9/23/FB_0923200510.aspx

I believe that Clemson will go ahead of Miami as long as both have 1 loss. (assuming that they both have played enough ACC games to qualify per the policy)
I say we screw the Wake Forest game then... no point playing a likely meaningless game a week before the ACC championship.