Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default ND Team Covid results

Interesting - It seems like we had a slightly better system for bringing kids in. Luckily, we are in decent shape relative to some of the other programs we have heard from. 1 positive and 4 in isolation.

https://twitter.com/NDFootballPR/sta...371045889?s=20

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-25-2020, 04:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I'm curious how this will affect teams as the season goes on. Every team is going to have positive tests, so is it better for the team for them all to get it sooner so your whole oline doesn't get it before a big game? Or is missing all this practice and conditioning leading up to the season going to be a huge detriment to teams like Clemson, where 1/3 of there team seemingly has it?

I'm happy ND kids have been socially distancing and not hitting the bars like the Clemson kids, but I'm curious how all schools and their teams will deal with this as the season progresses.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
I'm curious how this will affect teams as the season goes on. Every team is going to have positive tests, so is it better for the team for them all to get it sooner so your whole oline doesn't get it before a big game? Or is missing all this practice and conditioning leading up to the season going to be a huge detriment to teams like Clemson, where 1/3 of there team seemingly has it?

I'm happy ND kids have been socially distancing and not hitting the bars like the Clemson kids, but I'm curious how all schools and their teams will deal with this as the season progresses.
Assuming that there are no complications health-wise and assuming that they will eventually be exposed to the virus, I would think that it is better for players to catch Covid in the pre-season rather than in-season, especially if they then need to be quarantined for 14 days if positive.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Assuming that there are no complications health-wise and assuming that they will eventually be exposed to the virus, I would think that it is better for players to catch Covid in the pre-season rather than in-season, especially if they then need to be quarantined for 14 days if positive.
My son caught the virus back in March and subsequently tested positive for anti-bodies. However he was advised to continue to follow safety measures as the risk of re-infection returns after approx. 6 months. So even if you catch it now, with the length of the season and high number of players and staff, it's entirely plausible a second wave will affect the program in some manner.
While ND should be lauded for the protocols they've put in place, they can't control what their opponents implement so whether early or late, it will remain at issue unless a vaccine can be developed and made available in season.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

ND's overall plan for opening the campus and testing was featured on NBC Nightly News Saturday night.
That being said, ND has only had 1 player with a positive test while Clemson is up to 37!!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
ND's overall plan for opening the campus and testing was featured on NBC Nightly News Saturday night.
That being said, ND has only had 1 player with a positive test while Clemson is up to 37!!
While it not known if people can get Covid-19 twice, I am guessing that Clemson has at least partial immunity for over 1/3 of their team before formal practices start while almost 100% of ND's squad is still vulnerable.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
While it not known if people can get Covid-19 twice, I am guessing that Clemson has at least partial immunity for over 1/3 of their team before formal practices start while almost 100% of ND's squad is still vulnerable.
It is almost better to get it now then during the season. Those guys will be passing it onto our guys during games. All hands on deck is going to be huge this season.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
My son caught the virus back in March and subsequently tested positive for anti-bodies. However he was advised to continue to follow safety measures as the risk of re-infection returns after approx. 6 months. So even if you catch it now, with the length of the season and high number of players and staff, it's entirely plausible a second wave will affect the program in some manner.
And herein lies the problem with the vaccines being developed. In some ways it's a separate topic, but there is some relevance to this thread.
Numerous reports have indicated people who were infected once became infected a second time. Antibodies often seem to disappear after 8 - 12 weeks.
If the vaccines show people develop antibodies to the vaccine, great! That's what is supposed to happen. But, how long will those antibodies be present? If you lose the antibodies and become susceptible to the disease after 3 months, is that really an effective vaccine?

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...tibodies-67650
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Domer Domain All American

They arenít sure if you truly get infected a second time... The predominant thought among the doctors is that it was still in the system and they never truly got over it, but inaccurate tests reported they got over it. But, the jury is still out, so I guess weíll see...
Old 06-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I love the enthusiasm and the effort.
I just donít see how they can play football this season.
The NBA at least has a tiny chance of Ďbubblingí their multi-million dollar players for two months.
No way you can keep college kids from getting the virus. No matter how many precautions schools take, kids will be kids.
Each school and each state will have their own policies.
Parents of all students will have their say.
Politics will get in the way.
Maybe, maybe teams will play a game or two.
Canít see them getting to ten games or to a playoff.

This thing will linger into next summer.

Maybe Iím just crazy. Definitely could be that.
And Iíve been saying for two years that 2020 was going to be NDís year. Sigh.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I love the enthusiasm and the effort.
I just donít see how they can play football this season.
The NBA at least has a tiny chance of Ďbubblingí their multi-million dollar players for two months.
No way you can keep college kids from getting the virus. No matter how many precautions schools take, kids will be kids.
Each school and each state will have their own policies.
Parents of all students will have their say.
Politics will get in the way.
Maybe, maybe teams will play a game or two.
Canít see them getting to ten games or to a playoff.

This thing will linger into next summer.

Maybe Iím just crazy. Definitely could be that.
Unfortunately, I think you're correct Kelly.

Statistically, there is a very real probability of a few players around the country experiencing severe symptoms or worse. What will be the reaction if any of the 'headline' players falls seriously ill from this?

Sure hope they find an effective vaccine(s) soon!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Unfortunately, if 2020 season does not happen, the small window to even hope for a NC in the near future gets even tinier given that its looking likely that BK will have three straight years of #15 to #20 recruiting classes.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

This is stupid, this virus is nbd for kids this age. This is just politics since s**tty people want to cancel anything thatís of any entertainment this year. Theyíre playing fín womenís soccer right now and while nobody can tell if thereís a restriction on fans or this is just normal attendance, if they can play soccer, then they can play football
Old 07-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Actually, would it surprise anyone if there was an intentional attempt to cancel the MLB, NBA, CFB, and NFL just so weíre forced to watch womenís soccer and the WNBA? Seems like a 2020 type of move
Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Actually, would it surprise anyone if there was an intentional attempt to cancel the MLB, NBA, CFB, and NFL just so weíre forced to watch womenís soccer and the WNBA? Seems like a 2020 type of move
I think there will be a movement by the higher-paid athletes in all of the leagues to not play this year as their seasons get closer and closer.
The lower-paid athletes will want to play so they get paid. The athletes making $4 million and more a year, I suspect, will say they donít want to risk future contracts. Especially players whose contracts expire this year.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Yes it would surprise anyone that isnít a complete and total broken brained moron.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:22 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Yes it would surprise anyone that isnít a complete and total broken brained moron.
Iím surprised by how blatant the set up has become. We currently have womenís soccer being played, no talks of anyone in the WNBA opting out. However, every day someone from the MLB or NBA decides not to play.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:00 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
This is stupid, this virus is nbd for kids this age. This is just politics since s**tty people want to cancel anything that’s of any entertainment this year. They’re playing f’n women’s soccer right now and while nobody can tell if there’s a restriction on fans or this is just normal attendance, if they can play soccer, then they can play football
Women's soccer fans can easily get 6 feet apart from one another in a stadium....and WNBA players don't make enough money to opt out. Pro male players opting out erodes chances of success for a pro team, which equals bigtime dollars in revenue.

On a side note, players who "opt out" should be dropped from rosters and payroll immediately. They're paid to perform. If you wanna make a statement, use your pro millions to go back to school and begin a new career where your employer, beholden to stakeholders, pretends to be ok with political/personal agendas affecting what you're paid to do.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose

Last edited by echo88; 07-06-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
ND tested football players on July 1 - all tested negative. They've conducted 252 tests, with only one positive.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:56 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackson'sDred15 View Post
It is almost better to get it now then during the season. Those guys will be passing it onto our guys during games. All hands on deck is going to be huge this season.
This is a controversial topic but true.

If the season starts as planned, I could see us having a string of positive tests and needing to sit 20-30 guys one week.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:09 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackson'sDred15 View Post
If they already had it, then they wont be passing it on to our players as it's only contagious for 15 days. The players who have tested positive are the safest players to be around.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Tom Hanks says maybe not.