Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:30 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,390
Default Wide Open Offense





probably the least well kept secret on the board is I'd like Tommy Rees to go back to a more wide open offense

You might say Wait! you wanted a run first identity last year.

I say, Yes I did! But I was basing that desire in the fact that Tony Jones Jr, and Cole Kmet were two of our main weapons.

If our main weapons in 2020 are. Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Chris Tyree, Jordan Johnson Jafar Armstrong, Keys etc. I want the offense to let them make plays in space. Thoughts?
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 01-21-2020, 04:17 AM
stdntDrvr stdntDrvr is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 1,325
Default

Put the QB under center and run the ball downhill vs from the spread.

Not a fan of BKís offense. Itís too predictable and the RBís never have a chance unless the OL is paying lights out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2020, 05:33 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,390
Default

we definitely went under center some in the bowl game and I do like it, but, I want Tyree to get touches that don't result in defensive line or linebacker tackles. So if he catches it in the the flat he's more likely to be tackled by a safety or a corner.

So my offense would be based upon using the RB in the passing game ALOT
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:52 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,234
Default

Kevin Austin, Chris Tryee, Jordan Johnson, Braden Lenzy all have serious playmaking ability. If the 2020 team can great a consistent ground game (think they will), the offense will be bigtime. Playmakers everywhere. Need to shore up te, but talent is there. Great post as usual Faith!
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever;

probably the least well kept secret on the board is I'd like Tommy Rees to go back to a more [B
wide open offense[/b]

You might say Wait! you wanted a run first identity last year.

I say, Yes I did! But I was basing that desire in the fact that Tony Jones Jr, and Cole Kmet were two of our main weapons.

If our main weapons in 2020 are. Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Chris Tyree, Jordan Johnson Jafar Armstrong, Keys etc. I want the offense to let them make plays in space. Thoughts?

Yes Faith itís funny how after one season you changed so dramatically. Last year I wanted to be more wide open and get the ball in the hands of our true playmakers in space; Kmet, Claypool, Lenzy, Keyes or Armstrong ( before his injury). And you wanted the double TE run attack last year. Now you have finally seen the light. We have lost several weapons but I think like you pointed out their replacements will be even better; Austin, Johnson, Tyree. True they will lack experience but as the season progresses they hopefully will mature into a force. My fear is Without a strong running game though we are putting more pressure on Book to be ďconsistentlyĒ accurate and for the OL to give him protection....and we saw how that turns out the last couple of years against the teams that have top end talent.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Yes Faith it’s funny how after one season you changed so dramatically. Last year I wanted to be more wide open and get the ball in the hands of our true playmakers in space; Kmet, Claypool, Lenzy, Keyes or Armstrong ( before his injury). And you wanted the double TE run attack last year. Now you have finally seen the light. We have lost several weapons but I think like you pointed out their replacements will be even better; Austin, Johnson, Tyree. True they will lack experience but as the season progresses they hopefully will mature into a force. My fear is Without a strong running game though we are putting more pressure on Book to be “consistently” accurate and for the OL to give him protection....and we saw how that turns out the last couple of years against the teams that have top end talent.
The key is to me we need more 1st downs and 3rd down conversions

we were in the middle of the nation 65-70 range. Ohio State led the nation in first downs LSU was 2nd we were 70

I'd rather it start with a 6 yard pass and run it twice than 2 2 yard runs and then pass against pass defense on 3rd and 6.

Like Cory said, we need explosives too. the nations best teams can score in 3 plays. I know there is a place for long drives but against great teams long drives get cut off, big plays win.

I finally see some of the 2015 offensive potential back. now we have a defensive scheme that won't give it back at soon as we get it like BVG did in 2015
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:15 AM
AZDomer's Avatar
AZDomer AZDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 333
Default

Does anybody else feel that Tommy Rees is gonna be the next big thing in coaching ? Even when he played for us, you could sense his understanding of the offense and that it would translate perfectly into coaching. I am very excited about what he is gonna do for us. He has a Head Coach who believes he can be great, believed and got him to achieve levels above his capabilities as a player. Skys the limit for Coach Rees.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 AM
AZDomer's Avatar
AZDomer AZDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post




probably the least well kept secret on the board is I'd like Tommy Rees to go back to a more wide open offense

You might say Wait! you wanted a run first identity last year.

I say, Yes I did! But I was basing that desire in the fact that Tony Jones Jr, and Cole Kmet were two of our main weapons.

If our main weapons in 2020 are. Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Chris Tyree, Jordan Johnson Jafar Armstrong, Keys etc. I want the offense to let them make plays in space. Thoughts?
Absolutely right !!! We have players that can create mismatches before ball possession, then can create big plays without blocking help (this is important too me), then the most important, elite top end speed in their positions. We always had players who can run well behind blockers, but would be chased down after 20+ yards. Now we have players that can: A) beat their defender off the line, can create distance from that defender with their respective skill sets B) have the elite ability to house every time they touch the ball.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,890
Default

Iíd be thrilled if we developed an offensive identity. Felt for years that we SHOULD be a tough team to plan for because it seems we have no plan...

We still rack up wins but I couldnít tell you what we are.

Perhaps itís just me? I used to be able to tell you every player on the two deep, now Iíd be hard pressed to name a receiver who doesnít come from Canada on our roster...
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:31 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Iíd be thrilled if we developed an offensive identity. Felt for years that we SHOULD be a tough team to plan for because it seems we have no plan...

We still rack up wins but I couldnít tell you what we are.

Perhaps itís just me? I used to be able to tell you every player on the two deep, now Iíd be hard pressed to name a receiver who doesnít come from Canada on our roster...
Totally agree.

I can't stand when Kelly says after a game, "Team X did this, so we couldn't do Y".

I understand there is game planning in football and you try to attack an opponents weakness, but there is also something to be said for being so good at something that the other team can't stop it.

Navy runs the option. Everyone knows it. Rarely do teams with equal talent stop it.

No, ND shouldn't run the option, but they should dictate to the defense what their offense will be doing, not the other way around.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:43 PM
OKCIrish99's Avatar
OKCIrish99 OKCIrish99 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDomer View Post
Does anybody else feel that Tommy Rees is gonna be the next big thing in coaching ? Even when he played for us, you could sense his understanding of the offense and that it would translate perfectly into coaching. I am very excited about what he is gonna do for us. He has a Head Coach who believes he can be great, believed and got him to achieve levels above his capabilities as a player. Skys the limit for Coach Rees.
I think, minimally, he will have us running better and more consistently. This will open up the passing game more and help with time of possession. That is the one thing that was pleasantly noticeable about his play calling v ISU. His promotion to me is somewhat surprising, but I am cautiously optimistic. Long's departure was abrupt but sounded justified when all the details came in.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Totally agree.

I can't stand when Kelly says after a game, "Team X did this, so we couldn't do Y".

I understand there is game planning in football and you try to attack an opponents weakness, but there is also something to be said for being so good at something that the other team can't stop it.

Navy runs the option. Everyone knows it. Rarely do teams with equal talent stop it.

No, ND shouldn't run the option, but they should dictate to the defense what their offense will be doing, not the other way around.
We havenít had an offensive weapon that people feared to face since...Bettis? Derrick Mayes? Floyd?
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
We havenít had an offensive weapon that people feared to face since...Bettis? Derrick Mayes? Floyd?
I think Fuller. But the fact thatís the only one doesnít change your point.

People will argue Adams, but that was moreso Nelson and McGlinchey than Adams.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDomer View Post
Does anybody else feel that Tommy Rees is gonna be the next big thing in coaching ? Even when he played for us, you could sense his understanding of the offense and that it would translate perfectly into coaching. I am very excited about what he is gonna do for us. He has a Head Coach who believes he can be great, believed and got him to achieve levels above his capabilities as a player. Skys the limit for Coach Rees.
Yes I agree. I think the offense coaches are going to work well together also. Lance Taylor is going to be a big help not only in the run game but the pass also. BK always preached that Recruits had to fit into the culture at ND. Now I think BK finally realizes that the coaches have to fit in too. Football is a team sport and that includes having the coaches work as a team and not just be on his staff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Yes I agree. I think the offense coaches are going to work well together also. Lance Taylor is going to be a big help not only in the run game but the pass also. BK always preached that Recruits had to fit into the culture at ND. Now I think BK finally realizes that the coaches have to fit in too. Football is a team sport and that includes having the coaches work as a team and not just be on his staff.
I hope that BK did not just realize that he needed to have "coaches work as a team".

Not sure that Taylor being Run Game Coordinator will really change his impact given that he was one of 5 offensive coaches who should already have been giving input but perhaps it will
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 AM
AZDomer's Avatar
AZDomer AZDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 333
Default

Open Question: Do we really want to have any 1 identity ?
Say we are pass heavy, say Coach Rees (wow still weird), im sure i have an old comment about him being an incompetent butthole, only to retract my comments almost a decade later from the Tulsa game. I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN TOMMY NOW !!! Anyways, say Tommy is putting together an efficient passing gameplan, do we want that identity Of this or That ? Im just curious to yalls responses.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:40 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDomer View Post
Open Question: Do we really want to have any 1 identity ?
Say we are pass heavy, say Coach Rees (wow still weird), im sure i have an old comment about him being an incompetent butthole, only to retract my comments almost a decade later from the Tulsa game. I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN TOMMY NOW !!! Anyways, say Tommy is putting together an efficient passing gameplan, do we want that identity Of this or That ? Im just curious to yalls responses.
Clearly you adjust a little based on your opponent, but I think the best offenses know what they are and make you stop it.

LSU was an amazing pass offense this year. They played three teams ranked in the top 10 of pass defense, Georgia, Alabama and Clemson. They didn't stop being a pass team because of that. They thought their best was better than the other teams best and in all three cases it was.

I think Kelly coaches scared sometimes and doesn't let his talent out talent the other team. He thinks he has to scheme his way to victory, rather than just let his better players be the better players.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:29 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Clearly you adjust a little based on your opponent, but I think the best offenses know what they are and make you stop it.

LSU was an amazing pass offense this year. They played three teams ranked in the top 10 of pass defense, Georgia, Alabama and Clemson. They didn't stop being a pass team because of that. They thought their best was better than the other teams best and in all three cases it was.

I think Kelly coaches scared sometimes and doesn't let his talent out talent the other team. He thinks he has to scheme his way to victory, rather than just let his better players be the better players.
This attitude hurts him when defenses know that if they present a certain look, the ND QB will change the play as a result. The defenses show one look, get ND to change their play, and then adjust to a different look designed to stop what ND changed into.

Kelly thinks one move ahead while the defense is thinking two or three moves ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Domer Dude Domer Dude is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,699
Default

Lenzy + Keys + Tyree = find the weak leak in the defensive backfield

Last edited by Domer Dude; 01-23-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-23-2020, 03:44 PM
DREWGOOSE's Avatar
DREWGOOSE DREWGOOSE is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marshall, Mi
Posts: 1,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Totally agree.

I can't stand when Kelly says after a game, "Team X did this, so we couldn't do Y".

I understand there is game planning in football and you try to attack an opponents weakness, but there is also something to be said for being so good at something that the other team can't stop it.

Navy runs the option. Everyone knows it. Rarely do teams with equal talent stop it.

No, ND shouldn't run the option, but they should dictate to the defense what their offense will be doing, not the other way around.
Reminds me of some Holtz's practices. He would tell the defense what the offense was going to run and still expect the offense to execute play. We should be able to do that often with any opponent.

ND shouldn't run the option? maybe not, but remembering what Tony Rice did....Dam that was fun to watch
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-23-2020, 03:49 PM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
I hope that BK did not just realize that he needed to have "coaches work as a team".

Not sure that Taylor being Run Game Coordinator will really change his impact given that he was one of 5 offensive coaches who should already have been giving input but perhaps it will
I think Longís personality was stifling the creativity of the younger coaches on his staff (just my thought I have no proof). Now with him gone Tommy will be more receptive to the other offensive coaches ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-25-2020, 03:27 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,390
Default

Let me also be clear that I am not just saying spread out to pass


I am saying Spread out to run as well



Most basic one that RichRod and Chip Kelly made famous.


to simple zone gives with light boxes
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 AM
AlabamaDuck AlabamaDuck is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Posts: 1,983
Default Offense

Rees will run Kelly`s offense and if he listens to Kelly and I`m sure he will, he might be able to keep the job.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:39 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,390
Default

This was Kelly's offense too..


Run by: Their new offensive coordinator Tommy Rees

I don't expect to be like this, but wider splits, some sideline to sideline, yes indeed
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Last Updated: February 26, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.