Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Thatís shocking...... to nobody.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Look at Orgeron hiring Brady and the wonders it did for LSU. Elko and Lea did the same for us, as did Mike Sanford in 2015.

Kelly is back to his old self, I wonít be shocked if we take a step back next season.
Brady? He gone. Going to the Panthers to be Rhule's OC. Maybe Orgeron would have interviewed Ress but Kelly beat him to the punch, haha!
Old 01-15-2020, 12:55 AM
Domer Domain All American

I was being Faithful but not realistic over the last two weeks.. back when i was thinking analytically

Here's the poll:

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54481

40 votes

10 yes I like it
12 yes I don't like it
15- no i'm glad
3- no he should get a shot

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 01-15-2020, 01:08 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Keep it in the family and a real feel good story if it works out.

Thereís enough buzz about him that he surely knows his a$$ from his elbow...

Iím all in on Tommy! Letís get to work!
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog 816 View Post
I’m fine with this. I think this is the exact opposite of easy and lazy, this is really ballsy IMO. If this backfires Kelly looks like an idiot and he throws away a team that has a chance to be really successful next season. If it works ND is going to be very, very good. Also from everything that’s out there they did try to get Moorehead. The other positive of this is that the players wanted Rees as OC, so as of right now I’m fine with this hire.
I see both sides, I think it's incredibly risky because if Rees bombs then kelly looks terrible but I see the argument that it just shows how comfortable kelly is too. He knows hes not going anywhere, if they didnt fire him after 4-8 he knows how much rope he has. Hiring and retaining Quinn and then promoting an oc with zero play call experience and limited recruiting experience makes me wonder if you really want to be elite or you are just riding into the sunset knowing that the program is healthy enough to win 10 games per year over your last 4 years

Last edited by goirish83; 01-15-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:30 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Old 01-15-2020, 02:42 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Eh, I'm not crazy about the hire, BUT let's see what he can do. I believe more than one of us thought he'd make a pretty decent coach. At least he understands the culture and pressure of playing at Notre Dame VERY recently. He might just surprise us all. Worse case scenario: CBK makes the play calls when things get rough in game.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp160 View Post
Worse case scenario: CBK makes the play calls when things get rough in game.
That's the concern, remember the NC state game in the hurricane?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
That's the concern, remember the NC state game in the hurricane?
That is a legit concern.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:19 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
They've also given ND Mike Elko, Clark Lea, Chip Long, Del Alexander, Terry Joseph, and Lance Taylor.

I have no idea if Rees is a good or bad hire. I would have preferred Joe Moorehead because I think a proven play caller is what the 2020 offense needs to be elite, which is absolutely essential to compete for the Playoffs. But I don't completely hate the move either. The players love him and it helps with offensive continuity, much like Lea's promotion before 2018 helped continuity on defense. Hopefully it works out.
I agree. I would have liked some new established coordinator like Moorehead. But probably to get that to happen there have to be major changes with our offense and offensive coaching staff. I wouldnít have liked that because I really like Lance and Tommy.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:26 AM
Domer Domain Junior

It is what it is. The writing has been on the wall that Rees was going to get promoted. I won't pretend to know how this will go. I will predict that nothing negative will come back on BK as usual, and if it works or at least maintains the current status quo of 10ish wins a season he will be lauded as keeping the program fresh with young coaches and producing winning seasons. Coldest seat in college.

Desperately want and need a new/proven OL coach more IMO.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:49 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp160 View Post
Eh, I'm not crazy about the hire, BUT let's see what he can do. I believe more than one of us thought he'd make a pretty decent coach. At least he understands the culture and pressure of playing at Notre Dame VERY recently. He might just surprise us all. Worse case scenario: CBK makes the play calls when things get rough in game.
Thatís not an easy thing to do mid game. Itís such a cliched analogy but itís so true, itís like a chess game. And itís a lot harder to take over half way through a game than it is going from the start.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 AM
Domer Domain Junior

This is like pooping in a deep toilet. It splashes alright but in the end it is just uncomfortable.

In all seriousness this is a bold move, it is either the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning. If Rees craps the bed I think it will be the end for BK.

For the record I think it is a terrible hire, either we think too much of ND or BK thinks too little of ND.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:06 AM
Administrator

We all saw this coming. I will say Tommy should have never been the starting QB at ND but he was the best ND had at the time and he did a pretty good job IMO

I just hope that translates to calling good plays and helping in the development of the offense. Letís just hope !

Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Wasn't his father OC somewhere, maybe the pro's?
Old 01-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The result of this will be:

1. Oregon will win the PAC 12 and be in the CFB playoffs next year.
2. ND will look basically the same as years past on offense because this will just be Rees running BKís offense.
3. We will lose our two toughest games next year to Whisky and Clemson and look inept in doing so.
4. Because of the rest of the soft schedule ND will go 10-2.
5. We will get a prestigious invite to the Depends Menís Undergarment Protection Bowl and play another 5 loss team.
6. ND will finish ranked 13 in the year end poll with several people complaining we should be ranked higher.
7. Elder and Golson5 (who I still think may actually be the same person) will brag about how ND is a perennial ďTop 13Ē program year in and year out and that ND is lucky to have BK as coach and that we could never do any better than him.

I think I covered most of it......
Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
The result of this will be:

1. Oregon will win the PAC 12 and be in the CFB playoffs next year.
2. ND will look basically the same as years past on offense because this will just be Rees running BK’s offense.
3. We will lose our two toughest games next year to Whisky and Clemson and look inept in doing so.
4. Because of the rest of the soft schedule ND will go 10-2.
5. We will get a prestigious invite to the Depends Men’s Undergarment Protection Bowl and play another 5 loss team.
6. ND will finish ranked 13 in the year end poll with several people complaining we should be ranked higher.
7. Elder and Golson5 (who I still think may actually be the same person) will brag about how ND is a perennial “Top 13” program year in and year out and that ND is lucky to have BK as coach and that we could never do any better than him.

I think I covered most of it......
8. Kelly gets a 5 year extension and we are stuck in purgatory .
Old 01-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
8. Kelly gets a 5 year extension and we are stuck in purgatory .
I knew I forgot something!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:03 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
Wasn't his father OC somewhere, maybe the pro's?
I think he was a scout
Old 01-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Great opportunity for Rees. Hope he takes full advantage of it. Forget the naysayers and the people making the most noise. He's a smart kid, relates well with the players and other coaches, and has the best understanding of Kelly's offense outside of Kelly. Just hope he remembers to run the ball when it's raining!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Can anyone name any other major school that has hired an OC with absolutely no experience at being an OC? This is an honest question. I canít think of any perennial top team doing this in the past couple of decades. I could be totally wrong and maybe there is an example of a team doing this and being successful but I canít think of 1. Hopefully Rees is successful but man it just seems ridiculous that school with the prestige and endowment of ND would settle for an OC with absolutely no experience being an OC.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfanatic78 View Post
Can anyone name any other major school that has hired an OC with absolutely no experience at being an OC? This is an honest question. I canít think of any perennial top team doing this in the past couple of decades. I could be totally wrong and maybe there is an example of a team doing this and being successful but I canít think of 1. Hopefully Rees is successful but man it just seems ridiculous that school with the prestige and endowment of ND would settle for an OC with absolutely no experience being an OC.
Joe Brady LSU's, I believe he hadn't been a oc before.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Joe Brady LSU's, I believe he hadn't been a oc before.
He wasnít their OC this season. He was the WRs coach and pass game coordinator. The OC and QB coach was https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ensminger this guy.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfanatic78 View Post
Can anyone name any other major school that has hired an OC with absolutely no experience at being an OC? This is an honest question. I can’t think of any perennial top team doing this in the past couple of decades. I could be totally wrong and maybe there is an example of a team doing this and being successful but I can’t think of 1. Hopefully Rees is successful but man it just seems ridiculous that school with the prestige and endowment of ND would settle for an OC with absolutely no experience being an OC.
Clemson in 2015 when they hired Jeff Scott and Tony Elliot to be co-OCs. That was the first year Clemson played Alabama in the National Championship (lost 45-40).

Jeff Scott was the WR coach for Clemson from 2008 to 2014 before he was named co-OC with Tony Elliot. Tony Elliot was the RB coach for Clemson from 2011 to 2014. Neither had prior OC experience. Prior to Clemson, Scott only coached for one year as the WR coach at Presbyterian. Elliot had a few more years experience before Clemson as the RB coach at Furman (2008-2010) and South Carolina State (2006-2007).

Edit:

Florida in 2005 when Urban took over. He made Dan Mullen his OC. He had no prior experience. He was Urban's QB coach at Utah (2003-2004) and Bowling Green (2001-2002) and a graduate assistant at ND before that. Florida went 9-3 in 2005 then won the National Championship in 2006.

Penn State in 2018 when Ricky Rahne was named OC. Prior to that, he was the TE coach (2016-2017) and QB coach (2014-2015), the QB coach at Vandy (2011-2013), and RB and TE coach (not at the same time) at Kansas State (2007-2010).

Stanford in 2018 when Tavita Pritchard was named OC. He was the QB/RB coach from 2014 to 2017, the RB coach in 2013, and a grad assistant/defensive assistant from 2010 to 2012, all at Stanford.

Last edited by tneun89; 01-15-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I'm in the minority here but think this can work out for us in recruiting and offensive success. Rees has been groomed for coaching and brings a connection on the players level that Kelly can not. I hope he is a mad dog out to make a legacy. Go get em' Tommy Gun, your time is now.

If he succeeds, the NFL will be calling for him in a few seasons.

MICHIGAN SUCKS BALLS CLUB