Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Tom Rees Interviews for Oregon OC Position

Per reports

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

He needs to go to a lower division first.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:43 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

A trick to convince Kelly to hire him?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:48 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
A trick to convince Kelly to hire him?
Or a trick by Kelly to attempt to get all us fans thinking we’ll he was wanted by Oregon so I guess he’s good enough for us as an OC.

Last edited by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN; 01-12-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Domer Domain All American

Were people not happy with his play calling in the bowl game? I donít think he set the world on fire but I think he proved more than capable.

Sure, we could do much better but Iím sure we could do much worse. I bet heís getting attention based on what heís gotten out of Book the last two years. You guys really think this is all smoke and mirrors?
Old 01-12-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Per reports
Wow. this suggests to me that Kelly is considering clearing the QB coach position for the new offensive coordinator, could be wrong, but actions usually means something

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 01-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think it just means that Rees is highly thought of around college football. I know people dislike him because he wasn’t a great QB at ND or for whatever reason, but he is really respected as a coach and a young football mind.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think it just means that Rees is highly thought of around college football. I know people dislike him because he wasnít a great QB at ND or for whatever reason, but he is really respected as a coach and a young football mind.
Agree with this. Also probably good practice/experience to interview.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:08 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Were people not happy with his play calling in the bowl game? I donít think he set the world on fire but I think he proved more than capable.

Sure, we could do much better but Iím sure we could do much worse. I bet heís getting attention based on what heís gotten out of Book the last two years. You guys really think this is all smoke and mirrors?
I rewatched the bowl game and was not impressed. So many plays went for negative yards. The only time they scored was huge chunk plays and you can't count on that with good defenses.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:17 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Why canít people be happy for him or accept that he might have a lot of respect by people in the college football community? Iím sure Oregon wouldnít be wasting their own time if he wasnít desirable...
Old 01-12-2020, 03:44 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Why canít people be happy for him or accept that he might have a lot of respect by people in the college football community? Iím sure Oregon wouldnít be wasting their own time if he wasnít desirable...
I'm happy for him. I just don't want him to be OC here. It's a complicated role that requires a lot of experience to make adjustments with the flow of the game and reactions of the defense.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

What is the basis for all the claims about how widely regarded he is?

Outside of us, and apparently Oregon, has anyone heard of Rees as a coach?

I donít hear a lot about him in the media.

Iím not saying heís not well known, but I donít know anything to lead me to that conclusion.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Iím not saying heís not well known, but I donít know anything to lead me to that conclusion.
It gets brought up pretty frequently in podcasts from Irish Illustrated and The Athletic.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I look at Kellen Moore of the Dallas Cowboys.
Former backup QB in the league.
Supposed offensive guru.
Never been a coordinator in the league until the Cowboys installed him this year.
While the Cowboys has good numbers on offense, the majority of their numbers came while playing catch up in the second halves of games. Moore was not a good schemer or in-game play caller. The Cowboys are loaded with talent but had a dismal miserable season. Super Bowl expectations but not even in the playoffs. Having watched a number of their games I was absolutely baffled by their offense and why they called the plays they did.
Thatís what I think will happen if Rees is made OC at ND this year. Let him go somewhere else as OC. Learn that role at Washington State or Baylor.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

He also interviewed for the Northwestern OC job. So thatís at least two Power 5 OC interviews, not including ND. I think that, plus the fact that heís only 27 years old, says a lot about him. Now, he didnít get the NW job and may not get the Oregon job (or ND job), but getting actual interviews is a big deal. I doubt many in the national media know who he is as a coach, but I know he highly respected in the ND media, who have said that he is highly regarded among those at Notre Dame (obviously).

I get that his experience is limited - graduate assistant at ND, assistant for the Chargers for 1 year, and QB coach at ND, but he seems to be on a trajectory where he will be an OC at a P5 job before he turns 30, and then who knows after that.

I think many ND fans have a hard time separating Rees the player versus Rees the coach. A lot of people did not like him when he was QB (hate is probably not too strong of a word) for various reasons. Not saying youíre one of those guys because I think your questions are fair, but I think a lot of the criticisms toward Rees as the next possible OC at ND are related. I agree with those who donít think he should be named because he doesnít have the experience and ND is a Top 10 football program right now who should be able to land a proven coordinator (Moorehead, Monken), but I think a lot of people just donít like the possibility of Tommy Rees as OC because they didnít like Tommy Rees the player.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Thank you for that info, Fifth and TNeun. I’m simply not as plugged into the ND podcasts and sources, so I only know about him from his playing days. I have no negativity about him from his playing, because the best coaches weren’t always the best players.

That said I tend to fall into the group that says our O.C. should have O.C. experience beyond temping after the previous OC’s departure.

We have Clark Lea his first DC job, I think, but he knew the defense scheme we’d just transitioned into. I don’t want that to be a habit for coordinators.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
He also interviewed for the Northwestern OC job. So thatís at least two Power 5 OC interviews, not including ND. I think that, plus the fact that heís only 27 years old, says a lot about him. Now, he didnít get the NW job and may not get the Oregon job (or ND job), but getting actual interviews is a big deal. I doubt many in the national media know who he is as a coach, but I know he highly respected in the ND media, who have said that he is highly regarded among those at Notre Dame (obviously).

I get that his experience is limited - graduate assistant at ND, assistant for the Chargers for 1 year, and QB coach at ND, but he seems to be on a trajectory where he will be an OC at a P5 job before he turns 30, and then who knows after that.

I think many ND fans have a hard time separating Rees the player versus Rees the coach. A lot of people did not like him when he was QB (hate is probably not too strong of a word) for various reasons. Not saying youíre one of those guys because I think your questions are fair, but I think a lot of the criticisms toward Rees as the next possible OC at ND are related. I agree with those who donít think he should be named because he doesnít have the experience and ND is a Top 10 football program right now who should be able to land a proven coordinator (Moorehead, Monken), but I think a lot of people just donít like the possibility of Tommy Rees as OC because they didnít like Tommy Rees the player.
I personally hope he accepts the "Coordinator in waiting" job the same way Clarke Lea did and if in fact they bring in a Moorehead or whoever after Moorehead or whoever serves his 2 years or less and becomes a head coach Tommy is ready. I don't want to lose Rees personally.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

My issue with him as an OC is that he doesnít have any experience outside of the ND system. Offenses need fresh new ideas, and all he knows as both a player and coach is the Kelly system.

Bringing him in wonít innovate the offense at all and he offense needs some innovation.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:23 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I think it just means that Rees is highly thought of around college football. I know people dislike him because he wasn’t a great QB at ND or for whatever reason, but he is really respected as a coach and a young football mind.
Lots of great coordinators, college and pro, were never top-flight atheles in college. Tell me one 5-star who went on to a career as an OC? Most of the great OC's just love the game and have the mind to be creative play-callers.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Lots of great coordinators, college and pro, were never top-flight atheles in college. Tell me one 5-star who went on to a career as an OC? Most of the great OC's just love the game and have the mind to be creative play-callers.
Major Applewhite?
Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
My issue with him as an OC is that he doesnít have any experience outside of the ND system. Offenses need fresh new ideas, and all he knows as both a player and coach is the Kelly system.

Bringing him in wonít innovate the offense at all and he offense needs some innovation.
I agree with that, that's why I'd like a big name ala Elko to get it going. Tommy can continue it like Lea has IMO

Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Well Northwestern and Oregon are two power 5 schools that have interviewed him for OC positions. Fitzgerald is no idiot either.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
Or a trick by Kelly to attempt to get all us fans thinking weíll he was wanted by Oregon so I guess heís good enough for us as an OC.
Thatís stupid. Take off the tinfoil hat Alex Jones.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Hey now, we all know that the alien overlords will soon rule us all /s
Old 01-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
It was sarcasm......