Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Domer Domain All American

Default USC 2019 Film Study

Are you ready for some strange formations? The Air Raid offense of USC has you covered

This is the challenge of the Notre Dame schedule. Coast to Coast and defending everything from triple option to Air Raid

Lets start with this beauty:

Challenges

1. BYU is giving 12 yard cushion to the field and rolled up and doubled to the boundary

2. its a 5 man box. numbers are ok to run especially to the field

3. QB Slovis reminds me of Book, Will be accurate,

4. receivers are very high quality

You were right if you said it was a run up the middle, the light box was too tempting

Defense:

Advantages:

1. We have Tony Jones and Jahmir Smith, those linebackers don't look like they will like tacklng them. We might have Jafar Armstrong too.

2. We look to have the power advantage. Balis has made us into one fit team.

My game plan:

Defense

1. yards are ok, points are not.
2. Slovis will hold the ball to try to go deep, Go get him Captains Okwara and Kareem. Cause frustration, havoc and turnovers.

Offense:

1. Use your power, 4 yard rushes early likely become longer later

2. Be patient if they drop 8.

3. If they man-up let it fly.

This is a game we should win. Its an out of the ordinary offense so it may take a quarter or so to get the best defenses out there

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USC 19 offense.jpg (105.2 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg USC 19 Defense.jpg (106.8 KB, 148 views)

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 10-08-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I think this game will be more of a challenge then we are letting on. USC always plays us tough. I think a bye week only helps them too. They just came off of a tough stretch of hard fought games. They will battle tested. They also have athletes at the skill positions which Crawford would had came in handy to defend. But I like Bracy and Hamilton and think they add another element to this defense. I also love Owusu and the fact hes now able to stay on the field for most snaps. Still, make no mistake, this game will be tough and ND better come in ready for a fight.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I really think this going to play out just like last years game against SC. Notre Dame will give up yardage through the air while preventing the big play and forcing SC to settle for FGs. Notre Dame will win by 10-14 points.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I think this game will be more of a challenge then we are letting on. USC always plays us tough. I think a bye week only helps them too. They just came off of a tough stretch of hard fought games. They will battle tested. They also have athletes at the skill positions which Crawford would had came in handy to defend. But I like Bracy and Hamilton and think they add another element to this defense. I also love Owusu and the fact hes now able to stay on the field for most snaps. Still, make no mistake, this game will be tough and ND better come in ready for a fight.
I to do. with this offense its really one of the first games besides UGA that Julian Love would have really come in handy. Don't get me wrong NFL caliber corners are helpful every game, but we really saw the difference against Clemson.

That said if I'm Lee I'm putting alot of my strategic resources defending the pass. If they run they run but if I'm Lee I'm confident that I can stop their run with less numbers. Obviously if they bring Stepp in hes a run giveaway they either run him or max protect for a deep shot.

So don't be shocked to give up a few inside runs early.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog 816 View Post
I really think this going to play out just like last years game against SC. Notre Dame will give up yardage through the air while preventing the big play and forcing SC to settle for FGs. Notre Dame will win by 10-14 points.
I also agree. I don't want to see the corners pressed up until they get 40 yards or less away from the goal line.

Reason being I never want multiple one play touchdown "drives" like BVG used to help give up by putting his corners in press 80 yards from the goalline.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

3 up front, 2 linebackers, with 6 dbs. Give up 3-4 rush yds up the middle, eliminate mesh and crossing routes and drop safeties. Its what WA does to WSU every year.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
3 up front, 2 linebackers, with 6 dbs. Give up 3-4 rush yds up the middle, eliminate mesh and crossing routes and drop safeties. It’s what WA does to WSU every year.
Yup a 3 down dime package (the very definition of rush 3, drop 8 ) sounds very reasonable, well said.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM

how is USCs OL? USC WRs have the advantage against NDs DB so getting pressure on the QB all game long will be a must. if ND can get pressure with just the front four then that gives ND a huge advantage specially with USC having a freshman QB.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Yup a 3 down dime package (the very definition of rush 3, drop 8 ) sounds very reasonable, well said.
Wouldn't dropping 8 be a fifty cent piece package?

Nickel = 5
Dime = 6
Quarter = 7?
50 Cents = 8?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

Nickel = 5
Dime = 6
Quarter = 7?
50 Cents = 8?
Almost 100% sure that it depends on dbs, so 5 is nickel ect. I believe WA uses quarters with WSU 5 dbs with a hybrid dB/lb nickel back
Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
how is USCs OL? USC WRs have the advantage against NDs DB so getting pressure on the QB all game long will be a must. if ND can get pressure with just the front four then that gives ND a huge advantage specially with USC having a freshman QB.
Honestly haven't seen much of them this year myself. Although I did see quite a bit of the Utah game and was thinking that our secondary should give their WRs MUCH more to deal with than the Utes.....those DB's looked pretty awful, which was surprising.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

Nickel = 5
Dime = 6
Quarter = 7?
50 Cents = 8?

The dime refers to the number of DB's being subbed for LB

so standard set is 4 DB's whether its 4-3-4 or 3-4-4(2 Corners 2 safeties)

substitute 1 DB for 1 LB= 5 DB's where they get the name nickel

substitute 2 DB's for 2 LB's= 6 DB's= 2 nickels= dime

Substitute 3 DB's for 3 LB's= 7 DBs, named quarter

when I was referring to the drop 8 i was referring to DB's + LB's so in JDokes formation it was 3-2-6 so 2+6= 8 , just like in a 3-4-4 4 +4= 8 but its a very different drop 8 that usually becomes a 4 or 5 man rush

Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Kelly is his presser praised their OL as athletic, fits their scheme(Air Raid) he said

Kelly likes their tackles. Prister praises their whole left side as well.

here's a nice write up by Tim Prister

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...eFightingIrish

Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
if ND can get pressure with just the front four then that gives ND a huge advantage specially with USC having a freshman QB.
That, or we make him look like the second coming of Christ and he gets Heisman mentions...
Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I've watched a couple SC games. Their starting RB is good, will hit you, and doesn't go down easy. We can't solely focus on passing because they can run if they want to.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
I've watched a couple SC games. Their starting RB is good, will hit you, and doesn't go down easy. We can't solely focus on passing because they can run if they want to.
that worries me. I see USC spreading ND out with their WRs and then gashing ND up the middle with the running game.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

I think our defense will force quick slants/screens/pitches and sideline throws to the WR's. I know they have explosive weapons at the WR position but they haven't played a defense of the same caliber of ND's and will not have all day to chuck it deep.

With these quick throws, I can see some off-target (maybe behind the WRs/RBs) balls leading to tipped and deflected balls and hopefully a pick-6 or an interception or two. USC will probably connect on a couple of medium passes and maybe a deep jump ball or two, but I just don't see their inexperienced QB having the time to consistently get the protection he needs to heave it downfield.

As an aside, If any of this ends up coming true, I will do the Fireball dance. I'm just guessing here like the rest of you. The one thing I can say without a doubt though is our defense will be the best defense USC sees all year. I would even call it an elite defense--but I don't want to hex it.

Oh, and here's a quick highlight of my Rockets beating BYU. USC really hasn't played anyone like ND yet so it's hard to gauge them.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
I think our defense will force quick slants/screens/pitches and sideline throws to the WR's. I know they have explosive weapons at the WR position but they haven't played a defense of the same caliber of ND's and will not have all day to chuck it deep.

With these quick throws, I can see some off-target (maybe behind the WRs/RBs) balls leading to tipped and deflected balls and hopefully a pick-6 or an interception or two. USC will probably connect on a couple of medium passes and maybe a deep jump ball or two, but I just don't see their inexperienced QB having the time to consistently get the protection he needs to heave it downfield.

As an aside, If any of this ends up coming true, I will do the Fireball dance. I'm just guessing here like the rest of you. The one thing I can say without a doubt though is our defense will be the best defense USC sees all year. I would even call it an elite defense--but I don't want to hex it.

Oh, and here's a quick highlight of my Rockets beating BYU. USC really hasn't played anyone like ND yet so it's hard to gauge them.

yeah, USC looks a step or so below us from a strength and conditioning perspective which would suggest normally a fairly convincing win, unless we turn it over and make mistakes.
'
I just always give the opponent credit because I listen to the press conference and BK gives them credit but we should win no doubt

Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
that worries me. I see USC spreading ND out with their WRs and then gashing ND up the middle with the running game.
USC is 79th is yards per carry. That formula would work vs everyone if it would work vs ND.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Domer Domain Junior

If Im USC I hope I can throw quick release passes and stay out of 3rd and long. If not, Slovis is going to be punched in the mouth like hes never experienced in his short Qb life. Hes in for a rude awakening.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
If Im USC I hope I can throw quick release passes and stay out of 3rd and long. If not, Slovis is going to be punched in the mouth like hes never experienced in his short Qb life. Hes in for a rude awakening.
Well said. Also, I hate USC. That is all.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:49 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
This!! I just want to point out 2 things from last year. (1) To minimize pass rush, I expect USC to throw quick outs, like last year. Don't scream when ND corners play off and give up high percentage of completions for few yards, even if they add up to first downs. Doesn't work so much when you get into red zone and have shorter field. This is trade-off form of giving up big plays, which these USC receivers can make. Lea will adjust drop a lineman into short passing lane, and ND will get stops. (2) we have to keep receivers from getting downfield. While they were good plays stripping the ball, you can't count on USC receivers fumbling after making catches like last year.

Go Irish! Beat USCum!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

SC has been able to get yards and long drives at times this year. Their problem has been in the red zone at times. Especially against UW - I think they failed to score 4 times when inside the 10.

I think we need to get pressure on the frosh QB and he will make mistakes. Offensively we need long sustained drives. Their D will wear down in the second half. Cold weather and wind will hurt them as well. I expect a hard fought tight game thru mid 3rd qtr and we end up winning by 13-17 points.

Will be at the game cheering them on. Go Irish!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Closing thought

If I ever advocate for a rush 3 drop 8 defense again remind me how long of a night we're in for. As Kelly said we played the game "Short a gap" all night meaning if the running read it correctly he would gain yards every play.

USC played the same way after Claypool made that 1 on 1 catch down the sideline.

2 deep safeties gave us fair numbers to run and ND and USC ran wild between the 20's

Plays like Lenzy's reverse and Doerers FGs truly made the difference.

I was worried about this game and am real happy its in the win column.