Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Kelly contract extension in the works

Just saw, maybe this is old news, that they are working on an extension through the 2023 season. Swarbrick wants it done, just working on the details. He wants to make sure Kelly retires from Notre Dame.

How about a clause if he doesn't make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021 everything is void?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Kelly could retire any time Jack...maybe at the end of this contract without another extension.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Kelly could retire any time Jack...maybe at the end of this contract without another extension.
Yeah, Kelly is a fine coach, but you'd think he's won 4 titles at ND the way he gets to call his own retirement date without question.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Domer Domain All American

Just saw this in my news feed...

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ion-142335918/
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Wait to see what happens this yr before extending his contract. How Rees performs is giant reflection on him. If it works out, then offer the extension. If it doesnít, force Kellyís hand. I wouldnít fire him, but I wouldnít beg him to stay either.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Wait to see what happens this yr before extending his contract. How Rees performs is giant reflection on him. If it works out, then offer the extension. If it doesnít, force Kellyís hand. I wouldnít fire him, but I wouldnít beg him to stay either.
I agree, simply because at this stage of his life, I highly doubt Kelly will bolt for the NFL or another college job or hold ND hostage over it to get an extension.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:35 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
That wont happen, kelly has jack in his pocket and can pretty much do as he pleases at this point. I'm sure within a few weeks kelly will get the 2/3 extension hes looking for
Old 01-18-2020, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant

I can't wait for Echo and Frankus to comment on this..
Old 01-18-2020, 02:37 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTennant View Post
I can't wait for Echo and Frankus to comment on this..
I still maintain that he will leave, whether it be because an NFL team is dumb enough to hire him.... or he gets canned by an AD with balls who wants to field an intimidating team....

But I will say that nothing about this decision is surprising....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 01-18-2020, 05:06 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Yeah, Kelly is a fine coach, but you'd think he's won 4 titles at ND the way he gets to call his own retirement date without question.
No one has was 4 titles other than Saban in this era. 33-6 is going to get a solid deal not matter what. Right or wrong.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I don't think anything Kelly has ever done has been extraordinary. We've been blessed with an easier than expected schedule and losing to any team with a pulse. All with mediocre recruiting and questionable coaching hires.

I'm of the opinion Jack doesn't care about the football tradition of ND and he's easily manipulated by Kelly.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:58 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
I don't think anything Kelly has ever done has been extraordinary. We've been blessed with an easier than expected schedule and losing to any team with a pulse. All with mediocre recruiting and questionable coaching hires.

I'm of the opinion Jack doesn't care about the football tradition of ND and he's easily manipulated by Kelly.
The tradition of winning a title in 1988 over 30 years ago? BK went to a NC game and a playoff. I personally am tired of rebuilding 8-5 seasons. I’m good with the way things are right now.

Last edited by Jim2Dokes; 01-18-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
The tradition of winning a title in 1988 over 30 years ago? BK went to a NC game and a playoff. I personally am tired of rebuilding 8-5 seasons. I’m good with the way things are right now.
Completely agree. People still act like BK only wins 8 games a year. ND has had 2 undefeated seasons since 1988. BK is responsible for both of them. He got ND it’s first legitimate shot at a title in almost 20 years in 2012. 33-6 in the last three seasons. Will he win a National Title at ND? Probably not. But he’s gotten ND really close twice. If he can get recruiting classes to go from #12 to #7, that’d make a big difference.

Also, I’ll never understand when people say ND doesn’t care about winning. Why wouldn’t they? If it’s all about bringing in money, wouldn’t a winner bring in even more revenue? They just did a $400 million stadium renovation. They’ve improved practice and workout facilities, instituted training table, invested in recovery, etc. All under BK’s watch. Of course they want to win. BK has a huge ego - he wins a title and he gets a statue right next to Rockne, Leahy,Ara, etc. ND was in a bad place 10 years ago where nobody wanted the job. ND is now a Top 10 program. They need to win a big game. But there’s a lot to like about where the program stands right now.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Money talks.
In college football, winning brings in money.
Look at every university that has one good year. Donations flow in and things get built.
The Crossroads stadium upgrade took place after and because of NDís playing in the championship game against Alabama.
I live near TCU. The university has massively upgraded every building and built more because Gary Patterson has created a winning tradition. Crazy upgrades.
Swarbrick is no fool. Kelly is no fool. They get extensions, bonuses, and raises with winning seasons.
Winning matters. The administration has created a unique blend of academic recognition and athletic prowess. ND is not in Stanfordís league regarding the mixture for sports overall, but has been separating itself from Stanford in football.

Kelly might not win a championship but I think he can.
Bringing in a new coach to replace a guy who has won 10, 12, and 11 games over the last three years is just nuts in my opinion. Crazy talk.
I understand the dissatisfaction of ND not winning championships. But that doesnít mean theyíre not trying.
Winning brings in money. Swarbrick and Kelly understand that.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Money talks.
In college football, winning brings in money.
Look at every university that has one good year. Donations flow in and things get built.
The Crossroads stadium upgrade took place after and because of NDís playing in the championship game against Alabama.
I live near TCU. The university has massively upgraded every building and built more because Gary Patterson has created a winning tradition. Crazy upgrades.
Swarbrick is no fool. Kelly is no fool. They get extensions, bonuses, and raises with winning seasons.
Winning matters. The administration has created a unique blend of academic recognition and athletic prowess. ND is not in Stanfordís league regarding the mixture for sports overall, but has been separating itself from Stanford in football.

Kelly might not win a championship but I think he can.
Bringing in a new coach to replace a guy who has won 10, 12, and 11 games over the last three years is just nuts in my opinion. Crazy talk.
I understand the dissatisfaction of ND not winning championships. But that doesnít mean theyíre not trying.
Winning brings in money. Swarbrick and Kelly understand that.
I don't think anyone is saying Kelly should be fired. Clearly he is doing a pretty good job.

My issue is that Swarbrick makes it seem as though Kelly can stay as long as he wants and Kelly will decide when he wants to retire. I don't think he's done well enough to warrant that type of attitude.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Completely agree. People still act like BK only wins 8 games a year. ND has had 2 undefeated seasons since 1988. BK is responsible for both of them. He got ND itís first legitimate shot at a title in almost 20 years in 2012. 33-6 in the last three seasons. Will he win a National Title at ND? Probably not. But heís gotten ND really close twice. If he can get recruiting classes to go from #12 to #7, thatíd make a big difference.

Also, Iíll never understand when people say ND doesnít care about winning. Why wouldnít they? If itís all about bringing in money, wouldnít a winner bring in even more revenue? They just did a $400 million stadium renovation. Theyíve improved practice and workout facilities, instituted training table, invested in recovery, etc. All under BKís watch. Of course they want to win. BK has a huge ego - he wins a title and he gets a statue right next to Rockne, Leahy,Ara, etc. ND was in a bad place 10 years ago where nobody wanted the job. ND is now a Top 10 program. They need to win a big game. But thereís a lot to like about where the program stands right now.
Itís easier to back to their position with no facts when they forcefully instill that narrative.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
I agree, simply because at this stage of his life, I highly doubt Kelly will bolt for the NFL or another college job or hold ND hostage over it to get an extension.
Look at whatís going with Bieline (sp) for the Cavs. He had a great thing going at Michigan and left to take his first nba job in his 60s, and itís total disaster. Kelly would be out of his mind if he bolted to the NFL, assuming he got an offer.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Look at whatís going with Bieline (sp) for the Cavs. He had a great thing going at Michigan and left to take his first nba job in his 60s, and itís total disaster. Kelly would be out of his mind if he bolted to the NFL, assuming he got an offer.
He thinks he's better than he is, so heading to the NFL wouldn't shock me...
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 01-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
He thinks he's better than he is, so heading to the NFL wouldn't shock me...
Again, you might dislike him, but heís not dumb.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think heís publicly said that he doesnít want to be at ND beyond 2022 or 2023 - canít remember the year. But basically, this will be his last extension and he will probably leave before itís up. Heíll probably want to coach the 2021 class for two or three years and then heíll retire.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I think heís publicly said that he doesnít want to be at ND beyond 2022 or 2023 - canít remember the year. But basically, this will be his last extension and he will probably leave before itís up. Heíll probably want to coach the 2021 class for two or three years and then heíll retire.
Yeah, I canít imagine anyone that age with no background in the NFL even wanting an NFL HC job. I say it all the time, bc itís true, they work 90-100 HRs per week. Thatís a rough lifestyle if youíre not used to it. You see older guys like Fangio in Denver, but he was a DC for years, heís used to the grind.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Why do you say he will probably leave before his extension is up?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:13 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Why do you say he will probably leave before his extension is up?
Because I think - complete speculation on my part - he will get a 5-year extension but heíll leave sooner than that. I donít think he needs to finish out the contract - Iím sure there will be an opt-out clause or something. Again, purely speculation.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:14 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Again, you might dislike him, but heís not dumb.
Yeah...nothing he has done would indicate that..
Old 01-19-2020, 03:24 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Yes I heard him say that he would be very happy to coach at ND for 3 more years then retire. So I assume after this extension to 2023 he is going to retire.