Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 01:39 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Read this: ND's new No. 2 QB gets rave reviews

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/h...a35712ace.html

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Iím sorry that Iím about to be a gloomy Gus here. But doesnít this smell of BKís MO already. First off, I truly donít know much about this kid and I hope he does great things. On that note, I can see it already. A another three star slow white qb, who studies game film hard, smart, can read defenses, has average arm strength, and beats out the more talented 5 star kids coming in for the next two years. That being Buchner(sp), thus having the more talented kid transferring.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I’m sorry that I’m about to be a gloomy Gus here. But doesn’t this smell of BK’s MO already. First off, I truly don’t know much about this kid and I hope he does great things. On that note, I can see it already. A another three star slow white qb, who studies game film hard, smart, can read defenses, has average arm strength, and beats out the more talented 5 star kids coming in for the next two years. That being Buchner(sp), thus having the more talented kid transferring.
I’m genuinely surprised that so many people believe BK is happy to play the slow white QB rather than a more highly rated recruit.
BK is a fool if he is not playing the QB he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. The QB that possesses the best combination of arm strength, accuracy, quickness, understanding of the offense, being able to read defenses, mental makeup, health, and social circumstances is the QB that should be playing any particular week. Not one person who posts on DD can possibly evaluate all of these issues from week to week. It’s easy to see arm strength and quickness and recruiting ratings, but all of that other stuff is very important.
BK is foolish if he’s playing anyone less than the guy he thinks gives ND the chance to win. I don’t think he’s a fool. He may not be the coach that will take ND to the promised land, but I don’t believe for a minute that he’s playing anything less than the QB he thinks is most likely to win that week.
If Jurcovec couldn’t beat Book, that’s on Jurco.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:22 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant

Tebow that can throw the ball, but can't start at ND... mmm ok

This article quotes opinions of high school coaches etc hyping him up.. All big time college football players look amazing when they're playing against fellow high school competition.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Iím genuinely surprised that so many people believe BK is happy to play the slow white QB rather than a more highly rated recruit.
BK is a fool if he is not playing the QB he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. The QB that possesses the best combination of arm strength, accuracy, quickness, understanding of the offense, being able to read defenses, mental makeup, health, and social circumstances is the QB that should be playing any particular week. Not one person who posts on DD can possibly evaluate all of these issues from week to week. Itís easy to see arm strength and quickness and recruiting ratings, but all of that other stuff is very important.
BK is foolish if heís playing anyone less than the guy he thinks gives ND the chance to win. I donít think heís a fool. He may not be the coach that will take ND to the promised land, but I donít believe for a minute that heís playing anything less than the QB he thinks is most likely to win that week.
If Jurcovec couldnít beat Book, thatís on Jurco.
Rather than getting into skin color or how fast a dude can run, the truth is that BK favors experience over raw talent. When there has been a "competition" BK tend to gravitate toward the guy that has a better grasp of the offense (again, basically ignoring raw talent).

In his mind, he is absolutely picking the guy he thinks gives him the better chance to win "now" and is not thinking about 5 games down the road (let alone next season).

I don't really fault him for this, as it is pretty clear he is in a no win situation....but it is frustrating as heck (he's going to pick experience, experience only comes with playing, can't play without experience...).
Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGuy View Post
Rather than getting into skin color or how fast a dude can run, the truth is that BK favors experience over raw talent. When there has been a "competition" BK tend to gravitate toward the guy that has a better grasp of the offense (again, basically ignoring raw talent).

In his mind, he is absolutely picking the guy he thinks gives him the better chance to win "now" and is not thinking about 5 games down the road (let alone next season).

I don't really fault him for this, as it is pretty clear he is in a no win situation....but it is frustrating as heck (he's going to pick experience, experience only comes with playing, can't play without experience...).
The question is whether his refusal to look forward is our fault. Are we such a-holes that we wonít afford him a loss to invest in the future...?
Old 01-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

By the way I am white.
But my point should had been similar to what you said. And I shouldnít had regulated it only to qbís either. Look no further than Rees, Cam McDaniel, Joe Schmidt, Chris Finke as examples of BK looking at moxie or whatever rather than pure superior talent at that position.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
The question is whether his refusal to look forward is our fault. Are we such a-holes that we wonít afford him a loss to invest in the future...?
Excellent point and Iíve thought about this. But after 10 years and no championships and far and few between any major wins, he lost his chance to ďexperimentĒ with me.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
I honestly think that is a large percentage of the reasoning. He knows he has to win now so he sticks with the guy that he feels is most prepared today to win a game.

The other part (which is 100% BK) is that Kelly doesn't seem capable of giving the backup "meaningful" reps. He tends to only play his backup QB for the last few minutes of blow outs (basically victory formation time) or when ND is getting their doors blown off (and playing the opponents 2nd and 3rd stringers). Kelly could do a lot more here so that the experience gap is smaller and he can start to use talent and potential in making QB decisions.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
By the way I am white.
But my point should had been similar to what you said. And I shouldnít had regulated it only to qbís either. Look no further than Rees, Cam McDaniel, Joe Schmidt, Chris Finke as examples of BK looking at moxie or whatever rather than pure superior talent at that position.
I wasn't really calling you out or anything. I was just trying to highlight that Kelly favors experience over everything else. Even when he tried to replace Rees, the second there was speed bump, Rees was called in to save the day.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I honestly think that is a large percentage of the reasoning. He knows he has to win now so he sticks with the guy that he feels is most prepared today to win a game.

The other part (which is 100% BK) is that Kelly doesn't seem capable of giving the backup "meaningful" reps. He tends to only play his backup QB for the last few minutes of blow outs (basically victory formation time) or when ND is getting their doors blown off (and playing the opponents 2nd and 3rd stringers). Kelly could do a lot more here so that the experience gap is smaller and he can start to use talent and potential in making QB decisions.
Kelly also seems to keep his starting OL in almost the entire game of every game. I am a big believer in giving backups some snaps in real game situations.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Folks remember that Jurkovec took like 15 sacks in a glorified scrimmage, right? Iím bummed heís leaving, but this is way more about his inability to overcome Book than it is about whoever his backup is.

And his inability to supplant Book is partially on Kelly/Rees/Long, but itís also on the fact that it is hard to evaluate QBs. I think I read that, including Jurkovec, 4 of the top 6 dual threat QBs from his class have transferred. Thereís a great article on the Athletic that speaks to why so many QBs transfer, and itís largely because unlike many other positions, thereís only one.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Domer Domain Junior

ND is in a good position with the QB's coming in and on the roster.

Buchner is the real deal. He will get his chance and we'll see what happens.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
ND is in a good position with the QB's coming in and on the roster.

Buchner is the real deal. He will get his chance and we'll see what happens.
Oh how I remember ND fan's saying Jurk is the real deal. That is until BK get's a hold of them and instantly they become unreal deals. Can't wait till the "next real deal" comes.

Insanity- Doing the same thing over expecting different result
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Oh how I remember ND fan's saying Jurk is the real deal. That is until BK get's a hold of them and instantly they become unreal deals. Can't wait till the "next real deal" comes.

Insanity- Doing the same thing over expecting different result
It wasn't just us saying Phil was the real deal, IT WAS BRIAN KELLY!

ďI know everybody knows about him but Phil Jurkovec, for example, right? He didn't get into a lot of national competition. I think he's the best quarterback in the country. He's somebody that, you know, I could put up against any quarterback that I've ever seen, you know. That's one.Ē

https://www.onefootdown.com/2017/12/...-phil-jurkovec
Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
By the way I am white.
This is moronic. Rees only started bc Golson got himself suspended. McDaniel didnít take away PT from anyone who mattered, Schmidt was the only one who could understand Van Gorderís Defense. Finke is really the only one you can make that case for and I think he benefitted more from having experience than ďmoxieĒ.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
Folks remember that Jurkovec took like 15 sacks in a glorified scrimmage, right? Iím bummed heís leaving, but this is way more about his inability to overcome Book than it is about whoever his backup is.

And his inability to supplant Book is partially on Kelly/Rees/Long, but itís also on the fact that it is hard to evaluate QBs. I think I read that, including Jurkovec, 4 of the top 6 dual threat QBs from his class have transferred. Thereís a great article on the Athletic that speaks to why so many QBs transfer, and itís largely because unlike many other positions, thereís only one.
They remember, but choose to ignore it bc they love to b1tch.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
This is moronic. Rees only started bc Golson got himself suspended. McDaniel didnít take away PT from anyone who mattered, Schmidt was the only one who could understand Van Gorderís Defense. Finke is really the only one you can make that case for and I think he benefitted more from having experience than ďmoxieĒ.
McDaniel led a team in carries with Folston, Bryant, Carlisle and GAIII also on the team. He had more than double the carries of the next closest guy. Schmidt shouldnít have been the starter coming off his injury.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
McDaniel led a team in carries with Folston, Bryant, Carlisle and GAIII also on the team. He had more than double the carries of the next closest guy. Schmidt shouldnít have been the starter coming off his injury.
Carlisle was moved to WR, Folston was coming off a major injury, Bryant wasnít putting in the work. Schmidt only started bc he knew the Defense, otherwise he shouldíve never seen the field.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I like Clark's arm, think he may surprise some people around here.

MICHIGAN SUCKS BALLS CLUB
Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
By the way I am white.
From my personal experience playing sports growing up there is a lot to be said about an athlete that has that mental toughness or moxie. They may not be the best athlete as far as speed, size , strength but I believe that mental toughness can make them a better player.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Thunder View Post
I like Clark's arm, think he may surprise some people around here.
Oh no you didnít!
You posted something positive about a three star recruit quarterback.
Youíre not supposed to do that here when thereís a Ďreal dealí four star quarterback on the roster or in the pipeline.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Kelly also seems to keep his starting OL in almost the entire game of every game. I am a big believer in giving backups some snaps in real game situations.
In Kelly's defense, do you recall when Kelly put in Wimbush when we were destroying Pitt, and Wimbush single-handedly let them back in the game...? I wonder if he's gun shy from that experience. Wimbush was not good...
Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Well, what is he supposed to say?

"You know, he's a real $h!+ tank. I'd rather sign 3 Bruge Heggies than another one his palooka-level QBs. He has a b00b for an arm, runs like a dump truck with a flat tire, and he's damb as a bag of hammers. If he has to play, we're fkt."
Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I think the future at QB here is going to be Drew Pyne,,,,I think he as much as Book gave the push to phil to move on....Pyne will most likely start as a redshirt frosh season after this and another 20 pounds.....Clark will be the back up next year though....but Pyne is a good one and will rise to the top quickly.

aloha