Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default Jurk Transferring

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/no...ransfer-portal

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Saw this coming but it still stings. It will sting even more if Jurkovec goes somewhere else and stars. I hope the kid the best as I think he is making the right decision for him.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I don't get this. If he transfers now, he has to sit out a year, learn a whole new system, etc. If he stays, he is one Book injury away from being the starter in 2020, and he has a great chance to be the starter in 2021-2022.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I don't get this. If he transfers now, he has to sit out a year, learn a whole new system, etc. If he stays, he is one Book injury away from being the starter in 2020, and he has a great chance to be the starter in 2021-2022.
BK is his coach, that is enough of a reason to transfer. Good luck Jurk.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

I don't see this as a problem, personally. He simply wants more playing time and he isn't getting it unless Book gets hurt. Good programs have QB defections. Look at Blake Barnett, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts...okay, maybe some of these aren't very comparable to Phil but you get my drift. lol.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Not as bad of a meltdown as I thought...I know, it's early.

I was really hoping Jurk would be "The Guy"...I saw him a few times in high school and he was just amazing....size, speed, solid arm.

Hopefully, this is just something that happened over break and he comes back to campus soon and decides to stay....maybe.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Would have loved to see him get his shot but it makes sense for him. Hope he does well elsewhere and Kelly isnít kicking himself in the future.

Will be interesting to see how Clark and Pyne do in the spring. Still three good QBs (based on rankings) on the roster. The team should be fine.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

BK isnít an idiot... thereís a reason this kid isnít the starter.

Sad to see him go because I wanted him to be the man. Guess he did, too...
Old 01-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
This X 1000. It doesnít make a whole lot of sense at this point of his career. But I completely understand and I donít fault the kid. Even when we were up big, BK didnít give him much mop up duty. Usually, it was late in the fourth when there wasnít much to do but hand off. He probably sees Georgia, Alabama, LSU and a ton more of openings happening and is hoping to latch on somewhere else. Good luck kid. I was rooting for you!
Old 01-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Finally an elite QB with a brain....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
BK isnít an idiot... thereís a reason this kid isnít the starter.

Sad to see him go because I wanted him to be the man. Guess he did, too...
He's not an idiot. He just doesnt know how to develop QBs. If this guy was at any other upper echelon school, hed be vying for the starting position.

But, alas, Book is returning and literally everyone knows what that means, regardless of off season performance.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

This is extremely disappointing. I believe Jurkovek can be an outstanding qb. God forbid BK changes his offense to fit the talents of his qb.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Domer Domain All American

I wish phil well but im not surprised to see him leave. it'll be interesting to see how he develops at his future landing spot but ever since last years spring game I had my doubt about him. the backup QB spot should be fine if book goes down with an injury, clark looks like he can be a quality backup with another year under his belt.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
This is extremely disappointing. I believe Jurkovek can be an outstanding qb. God forbid BK changes his offense to fit the talents of his qb.
Oh he will be....just not for the Irish.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Book should not have been invited back. We know his ceiling. All he has left to go is downward.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
Book should not have been invited back. We know his ceiling. All he has left to go is downward.
book is 23-3 as a starter and is the best qb on the roster of course he should be invited back.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
That's ridiculous. Ian will never be mistaken for an elite QB, but he's plenty capable of leading us to 10 or more wins again next season.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Oh he will be....just not for the Irish.
Not from what hes shown. He cant throw.

Crist, Zaire, Golson, Wimbush all left and went elsewhere and all performed worse than they did at ND
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Book starts in 2020.

Buchner starts in 2021 as the best QB Kelly has ever landed.

This isnt a huge deal.

I think Clark actuallu looked better than Phil
Old 01-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Not from what hes shown. He cant throw.

Crist, Zaire, Golson, Wimbush all left and went elsewhere and all performed worse than they did at ND
One of the most coveted qbs from the 2018 class with offers that included Bama, Clemson, and OSU "cant throw"? Guess youre getting your assessment from the BK camp...lol

The QBs who transferred out of ND failed because BK can't develop a QB to save his life...
Old 01-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Agree 100 percent with you. This is a lose-lose situation for him. Thought he was a true Domer but I guess not. Probably looked over his shoulder and saw the kids in the 2021 class coming in and figured, if not next year when? But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?
this is just the way it is now. kids commit to programs not because they are fans but because they see possible playing time and getting developed for the NFL, very few commit to a school now because they were fans growing up.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?
I have zero problem with his decision. I came out of HS as an all-state infielder and went to Ball State to play. Writing was all over the wall that I probably wouldn't get my chance at meaningful time, and the only goal I had in my young life at the time was to be a starter in Div. 1 baseball, and I transferred to a place where that would happen.

I've always been an extremely loyal person, and I didn't think twice about the fact that I had to do what I had to to give myself the best chance to chase down a dream. This has nothing to do w/his generation. A guy with such a glowing HS career like he had owes it to himself to go out and grab his opportunity. If he doesn't think it's at ND, he'd be a fool not to take his shot elsewhere.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 PM

The only qb who transferred that I think would have succeeded at ND was Gunner Kiel. He would have made such a difference on the 2013-2015 teams.

Now I’m pretty confident Jurk isn’t on his level but we have no idea due to the limited sample size. If I remember correctly, Blake Barnett was more hyped than Jurk and how did his career turn out? I don’t think qbs who transfer generally end up being very good.

Between Clarke, Pyne and Buchner we’ll be fine.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I donít think qbs who transfer generally end up being very good.
I believe that the last three Heisman trophy winners all transferred