Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default This is unacceptable

Having heard this more than once through out the years makes me believe the following article is true.

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting...a6b1f2a3d.html

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Domer Domain All American

I was stunned when I read this, that two of NDs biggest recruiting targets where never contacted by BK....WHAT! when it came to the top players on NDs board I thought it was all hands on deck. what does that tell a top recruit when the HC doesn't even try to contact you.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

How many potentials do you think BK should recruit?

How many high schoolers should he assist with when they visit campus?

Would appreciate your numerical insight
Old 01-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post

Well since he makes upwards of 5 million a year he should stay in contact with all the big targets at minimum. It really is not asking to much. I am sure ND will pay for his overage charges on his mobile plan if charges are accrued.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Domer Domain Junior

This is not a defense of BK by any means. But was this really the reason these two didn't come to ND? Because Coach didn't give them enough attention and beg them to come here? This is recurring theme among many recruits for as long as I can remember, not just at ND. Everyone wants to be wined and dined differently while being the belle at the ball. I completely understand why many coaches hate this part of the job and the hoops one has to go through for it. Is it really much different than a recruit who will select a school based on how easy their life will be outside football while on campus, or which school pays off their family with booster money, etc? Additionally, should a recruit pick a school based on the HC who may or may not be there the entirety of the college experience?

Do I think BK and staff can do a better job at recruiting? Absolutely. Product on the field is job one, winning and recruiting go hand in hand. We still haven't one the big games, but consistently winning with top 10ish finishes the past three seasons may be helping. Yes I think BK should pick up the phone and touch base with a recruit now and then, it can help yet doesn't need to go extreme levels for all involved.

The part in the article saying the staff only offers kids after other programs do seems a bit off to me. There have certainly been kids our staff has located and were high on waaay before anyone else discovered them, Hamilton of the top of my head.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 PM

I dont take the words of egotistical high school kids all that seriously... That could just mean Washington kissed his *** more than Notre Dame.

I know this is confirmation bias for you, but taking the words of high school kids at face value???
Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 PM

It just very well could be a situation where the kid wasn't viewed as a "fit".
Old 01-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Domer Domain Junior

You know I'm starting to wonder if Kelly's comments during the bowl about recruiting and trying to get top 5 were just damage control ahead of this article.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
You know I'm starting to wonder if Kelly's comments during the bowl about recruiting and trying to get top 5 were just damage control ahead of this article.
Maybe.......
Old 01-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizz View Post

Kelly should at least recruit any Top 100 prospects at a minimum

From the article:

Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network, named eight head coaches who take the recruiting lead on their coaching staffs when pursuing the nation’s top players: LSU’s Ed Orgeron, Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, Georgia’s Kirby Smart, Alabama’s Nick Saban, Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley, Oregon’s Mario Cristobal and Day.

Six of those eight programs comprise the top six recruiting classes nationally in 2020. All eight rank higher than Notre Dame.

Kelly gets Top 15 classes because he puts in Top 15 effort not Top 5 effort
Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Here's Latahn Ransom's interview after his official visit. He talks about how much he fit in with the players, the assistant coach recruiting him and the defensive coordinator, he talks about how much ND is like his High School, he talks about how much he likes that he won't be segregated from the student body. It's obvious he's a good kid from a good school who is very interested in ND. When he chooses another school, he says, “With coach Kelly, he never texted me. He didn’t text my mom, my dad. So I didn’t feel like we had a relationship for me to actually want to go there.” I don't think that a highly recruited player, who wants a relationship with the Head Coach that he's going to be playing for, is an unreasonable idea. Hell, Kelly could use a phone, with his name, being controlled by a recruiting staff member saying, "How are you doing" and keeping in general contact with him with him, his mom and dad via text. This is simple recruiting 101. Strange.

Last edited by Frankus; 01-03-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Here's Latahn Ransom's interview after his official visit. He talks about how much he fit in with the players, the assistant coach recruiting him and the defensive coordinator, he talks about how much ND is like his High School, he talks about how much he likes that he won't be segregated from the student body. It's obvious he's a good kid from a good school who is very interested in ND. When he chooses another school, he says, “With coach Kelly, he never texted me. He didn’t text my mom, my dad. So I didn’t feel like we had a relationship for me to actually want to go there.” I don't think that a highly recruited player, who wants a relationship with the Head Coach that he's going to be playing for, is an unreasonable idea. Hell, Kelly could use a phone, with his name, being controlled by a recruiting staff member saying, "How are you doing" and keeping in general contact with him with him, his mom and dad via text. This is simple recruiting 101. Strange.
Interesting that he did not mention Kelly in his interview:

"I had a great conversation with coach Clark Lea and coach Terry Joseph, and really enjoyed my talk with them. I really like the game plan coach Lea and coach Joseph have for me."

Reinforces the lack of effort that Brian Kelly puts into recruiting...
Old 01-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Having heard this more than once through out the years makes me believe the following article is true.

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting...a6b1f2a3d.html
....yes it must be true I heard it more then once....and he probably was a perfect fit....so let’s ignore him and he’ll want us more....back to Nintendo
Old 01-04-2020, 02:15 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
I dont take the words of egotistical high school kids all that seriously... That could just mean Washington kissed his *** more than Notre Dame.

I know this is confirmation bias for you, but taking the words of high school kids at face value???
Agree. There's two sides to every story.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:57 AM

We all know that the head coach has the responsibility for the 2 losses on our 11-2 record.

This is article written to stir people and it does its job very well. I can't however reach much of a conclusion based on two case studies.

We know that college football you get more of these articles about coaches.

In the NFL more of these articles are about players.

I will pay more attention to how these players turn out though.

Thanks for sharing!

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 01-04-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:33 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

On Ransom " Ransom came to ND twice including a june official....Kelly had forged a better relationship with him after visiting his HS in Tucson.....Kelly was not as involved as R Day who contacted him nearly twice a week AFTER HE PLEDGED!!! "

I mean come on,,,, this guy was all ohio state and sounds like despite the spin was recruited aggressively all the way to the end.

McMllian is another story his quotes make him sound very unhappy with ND ignoring not only him but his entire family ,,,,

It just seems hard to draw sweeping conclusions from what is essentially a few quotes from a single recruit.

maybe we could get a bit better results if Kelly took the lead similar to the coaches Luginbill mentioned ,,,,but that's not set in granite....im sure Kelly will have to defend his recruiting style after this ,, and ill wait to see what he says

aloha
Old 01-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Whether you believe these two kids or not, no one can deny the fact that coaches at some of the top programs undoubtedly outwork BK. You never hear issues with Dabo, Saban, Meyer, (now Day), Cristobal, Riley, etc and their lack of effort on the recruiting trail. In fact it is the exact opposite. They are all heavily involved.

This has been an issue , or rumored to be an issue with BK for years. Where there is smoke there is usually fire. Add this to BK’s own words of him now finally realizing ND can be a top 5 recruiting school and I think there is no doubt he has underperformed when it comes to recruiting.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Kelly

Kelly has strict guidelines and even though he might not have offered, I would bet that his grades and personal history has been checked out.
If there are players that Kelly can`t recruit, most schools can.

Duck
Old 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Notre Dame sells....the more ND appears to be the villain the better ..... Reporters know this and even 17 year olds know this. You want attention just mention BK wasn’t stroking you the right way. Sure BK has his own way/style of conducting business, that’s life. Not everyone is going to like it.....and some might even want to exploit it to get attention.....oh no
Old 01-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
On Ransom " Ransom came to ND twice including a june official....Kelly had forged a better relationship with him after visiting his HS in Tucson.....Kelly was not as involved as R Day who contacted him nearly twice a week AFTER HE PLEDGED!!! "

I mean come on,,,, this guy was all ohio state and sounds like despite the spin was recruited aggressively all the way to the end.

McMllian is another story his quotes make him sound very unhappy with ND ignoring not only him but his entire family ,,,,

It just seems hard to draw sweeping conclusions from what is essentially a few quotes from a single recruit.

maybe we could get a bit better results if Kelly took the lead similar to the coaches Luginbill mentioned ,,,,but that's not set in granite....im sure Kelly will have to defend his recruiting style after this ,, and ill wait to see what he says

aloha

Especially after the whole (Hafley) incident. Day was calling me three times per day, making sure I was staying with Ohio State. After that incident, I heard from coach (Terry) Joseph.

“But I never heard from Brian Kelly.”

Again, I believe that Brian Kelly gets Top 15 classes because he puts in Top 15 effort not Top 5 effort.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Especially after the whole (Hafley) incident. Day was calling me three times per day, making sure I was staying with Ohio State. After that incident, I heard from coach (Terry) Joseph.

“But I never heard from Brian Kelly.”
Maybe it's because I'm not a highly sought after 18 year old football player anymore, but:

1. I'd find someone calling me 3 times a day to see if I'm still committed pretty weird. If I said I was at 10 AM, I probably still am at 4 PM.

2. If I'm the type of player that needs to be called 3 times a day to show how important I am, I'm probably also the type that transfers the moment life gets hard and I don't start as a freshman.

I was recruited out of high school, to nowhere near this level, but low level D1 and D2 and if a coach called me 3 times a day I'd have probably freaked out and chosen somewhere else.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Maybe it's because I'm not a highly sought after 18 year old football player anymore, but:

1. I'd find someone calling me 3 times a day to see if I'm still committed pretty weird. If I said I was at 10 AM, I probably still am at 4 PM.

2. If I'm the type of player that needs to be called 3 times a day to show how important I am, I'm probably also the type that transfers the moment life gets hard and I don't start as a freshman.

I was recruited out of high school, to nowhere near this level, but low level D1 and D2 and if a coach called me 3 times a day I'd have probably freaked out and chosen somewhere else.
Pretty sure that the 3 times a day was during the few days between the Halfey announcement and Signing Day.

Regardless, Kelly did not make one call or send one text to him during that time. I guess he had more important things to do than to reach out to a potential Top 100 recruit who might have been wavering.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 PM

I can speak to some of what these kids are expressing. I was getting recruited by 5 schools in grade 12. All 5 schools offered but 4 of them contacted me about once a month. The other schools coach was texting me about two times a week.

There was something about the attention given and priority they made me that swayed me to sign there. Think about any type of relationship, you want to be shown your wanted and you want to feel wanted.

There’s no question BK needs to pick it up in recruiting. He recruits well for need and we get some diamonds: Bracy, JOK, MTA, Ade, Book. However, if you look at the consistent playoff teams we are severely lacking in top end talent. We know we can get it because we saw him recruit well in 13 and Weis got top end talent consistently.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:13 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
This is not a defense of BK by any means. But was this really the reason these two didn't come to ND? Because Coach didn't give them enough attention and beg them to come here? This is recurring theme among many recruits for as long as I can remember, not just at ND. Everyone wants to be wined and dined differently while being the belle at the ball. I completely understand why many coaches hate this part of the job and the hoops one has to go through for it. Is it really much different than a recruit who will select a school based on how easy their life will be outside football while on campus, or which school pays off their family with booster money, etc? Additionally, should a recruit pick a school based on the HC who may or may not be there the entirety of the college experience?

Do I think BK and staff can do a better job at recruiting? Absolutely. Product on the field is job one, winning and recruiting go hand in hand. We still haven't one the big games, but consistently winning with top 10ish finishes the past three seasons may be helping. Yes I think BK should pick up the phone and touch base with a recruit now and then, it can help yet doesn't need to go extreme levels for all involved.

The part in the article saying the staff only offers kids after other programs do seems a bit off to me. There have certainly been kids our staff has located and were high on waaay before anyone else discovered them, Hamilton of the top of my head.
People want to feel wanted. They're thinking, how much does ND really want me if the head coach can't even be bothered to communicate with me.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
People want to feel wanted. They're thinking, how much does ND really want me if the head coach can't even be bothered to communicate with me.
There is a difference between "wanting to feel wanted" and wanting all the attention all the time.

Corysold made a great post. Maybe these kids were getting contacted by ND/Kelly 3 times a week, while these coaches are contacting them 3 times a day... I just dont really take what a high school kid says at face value when they are kings of their respective schools and are use to getting all the attention.