Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Peterson Resigns!?

Crazy. No health issues. Needed to recharge his batteries I guess. Let the rumor mill spin.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Domer Domain All American

He wanted to choose his successor. Bobby Knight did a similar thing at Texas Tech. This way he got the choice and gets to be an adviser. If next year went bad the whole staff. This way his staff gets a new start and at least 3 more years. Very creative an selfless way to fall on the sword so to speak.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 PM

Addazio gone too. You knew that was coming based on the comments Flutie was making during our game.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Yeah, the rumors will fly, but those who know Petersen say he's not an LA kind of guy (since the big rumor will be USC.)

Most think this is pretty much as it seems, which is that the grind has taken a toll on him and he really feels the need to step away from the sidelines for a while.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNorm View Post
Yeah, the rumors will fly, but those who know Petersen say he's not an LA kind of guy (since the big rumor will be USC.)

Most think this is pretty much as it seems, which is that the grind has taken a toll on him and he really feels the need to step away from the sidelines for a while.
He interviewed for the USC job that Cutty Sark ultimately got. I don't remember if he was formally offered the job or not. Didn't UCLA also take run at him?

He likes forests, snow and more of a college town vibe. No way he comes here assuming USC is even interested.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamshaBua View Post
He interviewed for the USC job that Cutty Sark ultimately got. I don't remember if he was formally offered the job or not. Didn't UCLA also take run at him?

He likes forests, snow and more of a college town vibe. No way he comes here assuming USC is even interested.
Yeah, I don't think they actually did formally offer him the job back then. Maybe he, and they, came away knowing it wasn't meant for him.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Iíll start the rumor and say he takes a year off, Brian Kelly retires after next year, and we get Peterson lol. Honestly he is a great , high character coach. If he recharged his batteries and comes back, any team would be lucky to have him.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

I think he has a special needs child as well which obviously plays an important role in his coaching destinations.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangordersmustache View Post
Iíll start the rumor and say he takes a year off, Brian Kelly retires after next year, and we get Peterson lol. Honestly he is a great , high character coach. If he recharged his batteries and comes back, any team would be lucky to have him.
If hes having anxiety and stress issues, this probably isn't the right place for him
Old 12-05-2019, 12:04 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
If hes having anxiety and stress issues, this probably isn't the right place for him
Hell no. I still say given the limited recruiting resources and expectations, ND is the most stressful (not necessarily difficult) job in the sport.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Hell no. I still say given the limited recruiting resources and expectations, ND is the most stressful (not necessarily difficult) job in the sport.
Limited recruiting resources....? Where do yíall come up with this sh!t??
Old 12-05-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Limited recruiting resources....? Where do y’all come up with this sh!t??
I usually dont agree with elder but there are some limiting issues at nd. Not as many as most people would have you believe but they do require kids to go to class and dont do the online thing, they dont have sports specific dorms, also they are behind the other elite schools when it comes to training tables, sports science and recovery and private airfare for assistants which are all pretty standard at the top schools.

Now mind you nd has more resources then 98% of schools but they do have a couple areas they lack in and that need work
Old 12-05-2019, 01:20 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Limited recruiting resources....? Where do yíall come up with this sh!t??
Not being able to recruit kids who are poor students. Thatís a lot of the top 200 recruits.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:22 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
I usually dont agree with elder but there are some limiting issues at nd. Not as many as most people would have you believe but they do require kids to go to class and dont do the online thing, they dont have sports specific dorms, also they are behind the other elite schools when it comes to training tables, sports science and recovery and private airfare for assistants which are all pretty standard at the top schools.

Now mind you nd has more resources then 98% of schools but they do have a couple areas they lack in and that need work
Itís more sad that kids canít or donít want to meet these requirements. I think most of us could meet the academic qualifications to get into ND as football players. It only takes some effort if youíre of avg intelligence, but a lot of kids simply have no desire to do the work.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

Maybe Iím wrong, but wasnít the training table the first thing Weis added? They just got a new practice field among other things. This isnít 1989 anymore.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Maybe Iím wrong, but wasnít the training table the first thing Weis added? They just got a new practice field among other things. This isnít 1989 anymore.
They still eat in the common area with carts bringing the food in from what Sampson has reported. Yes weis brought in the training table but a lot of advancements have been made in the last 13 years that nd hasnt kept up with. They finally got a practice field last year, that's something Kelly has been asking for for years but they do still lack in those other areas.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
They still eat in the common area with carts bringing the food in from what Sampson has reported. Yes weis brought in the training table but a lot of advancements have been made in the last 13 years that nd hasnt kept up with. They finally got a practice field last year, that's something Kelly has been asking for for years but they do still lack in those other areas.
They did have an indoor practice field before (Loftus). It just wasn't the size of the new one and did not have a jumbotron. That said, it was large enough to do everything except maybe practice the kicking game since punts could hit the ceiling.

It was a good thing they had the new facility with its speaker system this year so they could prepare for crowd noise at places like Georgia and practice silent snaps to avoid false starts.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I have memories of jogging in Loftus in winter. Not my best memories
Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
They did have an indoor practice field before (Loftus). It just wasn't the size of the new one and did not have a jumbotron. That said, it was large enough to do everything except maybe practice the kicking game since punts could hit the ceiling.

It was a good thing they had the new facility with its speaker system this year so they could prepare for crowd noise at places like Georgia and practice silent snaps to avoid false starts.
They also shared that facility with other sports which is unheard of in this day and age. Look guys you can hate kelly and still accept that nd is behind in some areas compared to other schools, that's not being pro or anti kelly it's just factual