Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Odds are Book will be fine

After giving that opening game some time to percolate....and watching some other games. I think its MOST likely Ian simply had a sketchy outing.

First game
Noisy Away Venue
Unfamiliar defensive scheme
Rust
multiple receivers gone and injured

There are a HOST of pretty legitimate excuses for an unexpected Sub Par performance by Ian.....Kelly seemed to stress Ians PSYCHOLOGY , feeling he was trying too hard to make plays causing a bit of a backfire for Ian.

I don't know about that assessment but I am willing to see the plethora of excuses as enough to paint that game as an ANOMALY of panic and inaccuracy.

Ian did play better in the later part of the game.

Overall THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE THAT WOULD SET BACK IANs PLAY...….some kind of 2nd year Kelly jinx with QBs ,,,I simply don't but that as a sound theory worth much.

So I expect a GREAT game from Ian against a weak new mexico...and I expect as the season goes by we will forget about opening day blues.

Ian showed too many positive traits over too many games last season for them to evaporate....we will see the quick release and consistent accuracy again this coming game and as the season goes on.

Does that mean we can beat Georgia? NO!----but that's not just on Book as a team we are a STEP BEHIND Georgia at MANY POSITIONS not simply QB RB AND WR

But beyond that Georgia game i expect a good season overall from Ian Book

aloha's

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Have you looked at his completion rate since Northwestern. The pattern is not promising. He will light up UNM and struggle against Georgia is my prediction. He gets happy feet.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I’d have him not be able to run the whole game against New Mexico to force him to look through progressions before tucking and running. Either find a receiver or throw it away. I want him to run, but he needs to learn to go through progressions and make a decision. New Mexico is a good game to practice that.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

He turned into a one-read then run QB. Not sure what happened. He has regressed as many others have noted. For us to be good, he needs to be great. We dont have a lot of gamebreakers on offense, especially after the injuries.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackson'sDred15 View Post
He turned into a one-read then run QB. Not sure what happened. He has regressed as many others have noted. For us to be good, he needs to be great. We dont have a lot of gamebreakers on offense, especially after the injuries.
I agree with this but I am giving him another game to see if he can figure it out.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Have you looked at his completion rate since Northwestern. The pattern is not promising. He will light up UNM and struggle against Georgia is my prediction. He gets happy feet.
98% of the QB's in NCAA football will light up UNM and struggle @Georgia. Not giving him an excuse but he's not elite and we should not expect him to be. I do however expect him to have a very nice season and we lose 1 or two games besides Georgia.

MICHIGAN SUCKS BALLS CLUB
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think Book will be fine being who he is, but I don't expect him to make gret strides over last year. He looked like guy who had worn a red shirt for 8 months. It's different when you know you'll get hit. I expect him to play a lot against NM to get even more exposure to live football.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:56 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Cool

The pressures of being a starting QB at Notre Dame for an entire year-plus compared to the pressures of being a backup QB--sandwiched between an experienced starter with great athleticism and a young PA high school legend--probably widely differ.

Hope he eventually learns to manage that difference and get some of that care-free Favre back. You almost have to be a complete sociopath to play QB at ND with Kelly as the coach, imo. No emotion. Just cold, black, dark, eyes. Every emotional upswing and Kelly-inspired lead zeppelin, simply rolls off Ian's back as he flip-tosses his majestic 'stache and proceeds to shotgun a warm can of Jolt.

Let's hope the defenses Book lines up against--from here on out--need a bigger boat I honestly forgot where I was going with this DO NOT TELL ME HE SHAVED HIS STACHE LET US PRAY. -DJ

Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
The pressures of being a starting QB at Notre Dame for an entire year-plus compared to the pressures of being a backup QB--sandwiched between an experienced starter with great athleticism and a young PA high school legend--probably widely differ.

Hope he eventually learns to manage that difference and get some of that care-free Favre back. You almost have to be a complete sociopath to play QB at ND with Kelly as the coach, imo. No emotion. Just cold, black, dark, eyes. Every emotional upswing and Kelly-inspired lead zeppelin, simply rolls off Ian's back as he flip-tosses his majestic 'stache and proceeds to shotgun a warm can of Jolt.

Let's hope the defenses Book lines up against--from here on out--need a bigger boat I honestly forgot where I was going with this DO NOT TELL ME HE SHAVED HIS STACHE LET US PRAY. -DJ

I think that’s just it. You don’t have to be a sociopath with no emotion under Kelly to succeed. I think you need the exact opposite. I think you need that Brett Farve slingers mentality. I had a coach just like this in high school baseball. Great coach but beat you down where all the players played scared. Not this guy. Exact opposite and we butted heads for three years. Guess who he trusted the most when the game was on the line. You got it...this guy. Loose and free and trusting yourself is the only way to play. Confidence helps. As I said in the chat, Kelly was indeed right at the end of the game.l when talking about Book. I could tell exactly what he was saying. “Book needs to trust in himself, not try to do too much every play. Trust in his abilities and so on.” This to me is the first time I could actually see Kelly changing his coaching right in front of me. I loved it when he got in his face on the sidelines. It was brief. It was to tell him to play his game. That’s all Book needs to do. Go out there and fling it and he’ll be fine.
Frankly, I would like for Kelly and Long to get him confidence by rolling him out on the run. Have a few play tricks up your sleeve to have him having fun. Double reverse with him catching a touchdown. Book is a guy who would thrive off this.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I think that’s just it. You don’t have to be a sociopath with no emotion under Kelly to succeed. I think you need the exact opposite. I think you need that Brett Farve slingers mentality. I had a coach just like this in high school baseball. Great coach but beat you down where all the players played scared. Not this guy. Exact opposite and we butted heads for three years. Guess who he trusted the most when the game was on the line. You got it...this guy. Loose and free and trusting yourself is the only way to play. Confidence helps. As I said in the chat, Kelly was indeed right at the end of the game.l when talking about Book. I could tell exactly what he was saying. “Book needs to trust in himself, not try to do too much every play. Trust in his abilities and so on.” This to me is the first time I could actually see Kelly changing his coaching right in front of me. I loved it when he got in his face on the sidelines. It was brief. It was to tell him to play his game. That’s all Book needs to do. Go out there and fling it and he’ll be fine.
Frankly, I would like for Kelly and Long to get him confidence by rolling him out on the run. Have a few play tricks up your sleeve to have him having fun. Double reverse with him catching a touchdown. Book is a guy who would thrive off this.
I was thinking more along the lines of a disassociative disorder. Or the ability to not be affected by emotion--to remove yourself from it. Rees had the demeanor to not let Kelly get in his head all the time and it was natural for him. Hoping Ian can resort to this. Otherwise, his wild flinging will be off due to "trying to do to much", which simply means he knows Kelly's high expectations regardless of his calmer approach. It eventually comes out during gametime. He can't hold it inside forever. lol. And personally, I like Kelly. He's brought ND back a couple notches. But I'm just being honest. Instead of playing like you're scared of your coach, I would love to get back to the days of playing FOR your coach. Even Holtz, who would yell and pull facemarks, had his players fighting for him for most of his tenure.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Domer Domain All American

I recently obtained a degree in sports psychology. Books problems are in his head. Lol

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think that depends on what your definition of "fine" is. Is Book good enough to win a lot of games at ND? Sure, but so was Brandon Wimbush/Everett Golson/Tommy Rees. Is Book good enough to beat Georgia/Clemson/Alabama? With this system and coaching staff, I'm not sure he is, and that isn't all on him.