Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Domer Domain All American

Default Playoff Expansion

I always wanted an 8 team playoff with 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids. Expansion talk has heated up and I think itís going to continue throughout the offseason. Sure, 4 teams makes for great conversations and keeps every game Uber important. However, I think we might see a controversy this year with Alabama.

Letís assume Clemson, Ohio State and LSU make the playoff. If itís Bama vs Oregon they can use the common opponent argument. Iím not sure how OU or Utahís schedule stacks up vs Bamaís, but the eye test tells me Bama is better. Iím not sure what criteria they are using (deserving or eye test) but if two one loss champs get left out for Bama with their schedule there will be outrage.

This can all be nullified if Georgia beats LSU in the Conference title and they both make it thereby knocking Bama out.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-13-2019, 12:32 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I always wanted an 8 team playoff with 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids. Expansion talk has heated up and I think itís going to continue throughout the offseason. Sure, 4 teams makes for great conversations and keeps every game Uber important. However, I think we might see a controversy this year with Alabama.

Letís assume Clemson, Ohio State and LSU make the playoff. If itís Bama vs Oregon they can use the common opponent argument. Iím not sure how OU or Utahís schedule stacks up vs Bamaís, but the eye test tells me Bama is better. Iím not sure what criteria they are using (deserving or eye test) but if two one loss champs get left out for Bama with their schedule there will be outrage.

This can all be nullified if Georgia beats LSU in the Conference title and they both make it thereby knocking Bama out.
I prefer 4 but if they go to 8, I dont want 5 conf champs. I want the top 8 teams. I dont care where they are from
Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
I prefer 4 but if they go to 8, I dont want 5 conf champs. I want the top 8 teams. I dont care where they are from
I agree with this. The top 8 teams should go regardless of conference.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:06 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I disagree with sending the top 8 teams. Then it will just be 3 or 4 SEC teams every year because of bias. They can fight for one of the at large berths.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
I do agree but generally each conference will likely have a team in the top 8. Keep in mind most of this talk has been sparked by the 13th data point being so valuable but not being enough to push the needle for a few teams in the past.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:10 AM

Conference champs must include all D-1 Conferences. It’s bullsh*t to reserve spots for the “power five” when they play in a division with other conferences. All conferences have to get a bid, plus a couple of at large or else the system is worthless. Completely and utterly worthless like the current system...
Old 11-13-2019, 01:21 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Conference champs must include all D-1 Conferences. Itís bullsh*t to reserve spots for the ďpower fiveĒ when they play in a division with other conferences. All conferences have to get a bid, plus a couple of at large or else the system is worthless. Completely and utterly worthless like the current system...
5 Power Five teams
5 Group of Five teams
2 At large

Does the 12th ranked team really need to be invited to the CFP?
Old 11-13-2019, 01:24 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I would let the Power Five conferences get an auto invite for the top ranked team in each conference, not the conference winner.

Most years, the conference winner will be the top ranked team.

This is to protect a team like Northwestern from winning their division and conference championship but losing three non conference games and still making the CFP.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

If they use the 5 power conferences, that makes winning the conference more important. Which I like but hurts ND. But using 3 wild card bids means you need to play top teams and win. Which would benefit ND. Which I also like.

Iím for the top 5 and three wild card births.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Conference champs must include all D-1 Conferences. Itís bullsh*t to reserve spots for the ďpower fiveĒ when they play in a division with other conferences. All conferences have to get a bid, plus a couple of at large or else the system is worthless. Completely and utterly worthless like the current system...
They dont deserve to be in. No need to include them. Whatever the number it should be the best teams
Old 11-13-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
5 Power Five teams
5 Group of Five teams
2 At large

Does the 12th ranked team really need to be invited to the CFP?
I honestly think we should cut the regular season back down to 10 games, have the individual conference championship games (including Group of 5) as an automatic bid (11th game), and expand the playoff to 16 teams (10 automatic bids and 6 at-large). A few notes:

- You can't have more than two representatives per conference, in the playoffs
- 10 Games will be broken out as such:
- First 3 games are OOC, kind of like the inter-conference tournaments of college basketball to determine the respective strengths of each conference for ranking (the polls still matter)
- 5 Division games
- 2 Cross-division games

This way, the two finalists will have played a total of 15 games, just like in 2018 (I think adding more games to the slate is detrimental to college kids). If the season were to end right now (and with a bit of guessing of who will win their conference), it would look like this:

#1 LSU (SEC Champ) vs #79 Miami (OH) (MAC Champ)
#3 Clemson (AAC Champ) vs #25 App St. (Sun Belt Champ)
#6 Oregon (Pac 12 Champ) vs #19 SMU (AAC Champ)
#8 Minnesota (At-large) vs #16 Notre Dame
#13 Baylor (Big 12 Champ) vs #10 Oklahoma
#17 Cincinnati (At-large) vs #7 Utah (At-large)
#21 Boise St. (MWC Champ) vs #4 Georgia (At-large)
#47 FAU (Conf USA Champ) vs #2 OSU (Big 10 Champ)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I honestly think we should cut the regular season back down to 10 games, have the individual conference championship games (including Group of 5) as an automatic bid (11th game), and expand the playoff to 16 teams (10 automatic bids and 6 at-large). A few notes:

- You can't have more than two representatives per conference, in the playoffs
- 10 Games will be broken out as such:
- First 3 games are OOC, kind of like the inter-conference tournaments of college basketball to determine the respective strengths of each conference for ranking (the polls still matter)
- 5 Division games
- 2 Cross-division games

This way, the two finalists will have played a total of 15 games, just like in 2018 (I think adding more games to the slate is detrimental to college kids). If the season were to end right now (and with a bit of guessing of who will win their conference), it would look like this:

#1 LSU (SEC Champ) vs #79 Miami (OH) (MAC Champ)
#3 Clemson (AAC Champ) vs #25 App St. (Sun Belt Champ)
#6 Oregon (Pac 12 Champ) vs #19 SMU (AAC Champ)
#8 Minnesota (At-large) vs #16 Notre Dame
#13 Baylor (Big 12 Champ) vs #10 Oklahoma
#17 Cincinnati (At-large) vs #7 Utah (At-large)
#21 Boise St. (MWC Champ) vs #4 Georgia (At-large)
#47 FAU (Conf USA Champ) vs #2 OSU (Big 10 Champ)
Yikes. Please God no