Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Great post Big.

I feel like ND basically recruits just the same as Clemson, minus the 2-3 5* kids each cycle. Even closer now that ND has been getting more talent along the DL.

Do you think that is a fair comparison and a good goal for ND? I know they are never going to be Ohio St., Georgia or Alabama, but Clemson is doing just fine with what they have and ND seems similar in a lot of respects.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Great post Big.

I feel like ND basically recruits just the same as Clemson, minus the 2-3 5* kids each cycle. Even closer now that ND has been getting more talent along the DL.

Do you think that is a fair comparison and a good goal for ND? I know they are never going to be Ohio St., Georgia or Alabama, but Clemson is doing just fine with what they have and ND seems similar in a lot of respects.
Clemson is on the verge of having one of the great recruiting classes of all time
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Clemson is on the verge of having one of the great recruiting classes of all time
This year, I was more referring to the run up to their titles and the prior 5-7 years.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Domer Domain All American

No one has higher rated recruiting class with the same amount of commits or less. ND doing a great job!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Great post Big.

Yes, they do seem to be on a similar path. Just less room for error. This is essentially what I mean between creating a program vs having a football team
Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 PM

Elston wearing an ND jersey with McGregor's number on it at his lacrosse game tonight...

Old 05-10-2019, 04:29 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Elston wearing an ND jersey with McGregor's number on it at his lacrosse game tonight...

Is the sense we are close with Michigan and its a toss up? Michigan insiders are awfully confident
Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Who is next?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Is the sense we are close with Michigan and its a toss up? Michigan insiders are awfully confident
I would say that is a fair assessment.

Quote:
Who is next?
Not sure. Could be McGregor if he chooses ND. No timetable. Could be Tyree or maybe Carmody depending how high on the OL list he is. I'd bet something happens in the next week or two though as far as a commit.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
I would say that is a fair assessment.

Not sure. Could be McGregor if he chooses ND. No timetable. Could be Tyree or maybe Carmody depending how high on the OL list he is. I'd bet something happens in the next week or two though as far as a commit.
Didn't Redding also move his decision date up? I'm not sure when that is supposed to take place and how we still stand vs FSU with him.

I think Tyree and McGregor have June visits coming up. Tyree's is his OV. We probably want his decision to be after he gets to campus.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
Didn't Redding also move his decision date up? I'm not sure when that is supposed to take place and how we still stand vs FSU with him.

I think Tyree and McGregor have June visits coming up. Tyree's is his OV. We probably want his decision to be after he gets to campus.
Several timelines are shifting around. I've recently seen some people reporting early commitments from players that weren't even close to that timeline originally. We will have to take it as it comes.

As of now, players that ND is after that are expected to commit this summer (off the top of my head):

Tyree, Trayanum, McClain, Edwards, Redding III, Carmody, Zinter, Atteberry, McGregor, Melton, Rogers, J. Thompson, Jenkins.

Additionally, I've seen that these players may announce as well: Coleman, Phillips III, Pouncey, Bartleson, C. Thompson, Simon, Ransom

I feel confident that Trayanum, Omerie, and Murphy can be removed from the board.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-11-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 PM

The Opening in the SF/Oakland area this weekend. Botelho, Buchner, Ransom, Gilman, Lenzy, and McMillan should all be participating.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:47 AM

Rylie Mills will EE at ND. Could definitely see early playing time.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post

From all indications, it seems as though Tyree will commit later on this month before the OV, but it isn't considered bad for ND.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Rylie Mills will EE at ND. Could definitely see early playing time.
What other commits are enrolling early?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
What other commits are enrolling early?
So far just Pyne and Ehrensberger confirmed.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
So far just Pyne and Ehrensberger confirmed.
Thanks. Hoping we can match or exceed the 10 from this year
Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Hoping we can match or exceed the 10 from this year
Just FYI I also track the EE on the first page of this thread by marking their verbal with a ^
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 AM

Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Is Henning even interested in us at all. Seems like we're an afterthought to him. Looks like Michigan right now. Can't wait to beat them in their house
Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Is Henning even interested in us at all. Seems like we're an afterthought to him. Looks like Michigan right now. Can't wait to beat them in their house
Your guess would be as good as most. Long way to go I think. Give me McMillan and Watts to go with Johnson. Roman Wilson may be a guy to watch for ND interest in the same role of Henning. He was excellent this weekend at the Opening in Oakland. From Hawaii and teammate of Jordan Botelho. More below.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-13-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
- Jalen McMillan, a four-star wideout from Fresno (Calif.) San Joaquin Memorial, cut his list of schools to Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Washington and USC. The plan is to officially visit all four schools in the summer and there is a possibility that he could make a decision as early as September.

- Antioch (Calif.) cornerback Dejuan Butler is set to take his first official visit this spring when he goes down to UCLA next weekend for an official visit. Butler, who was among the top five performers on defense, is also working to schedule an official visit with California while also having Notre Dame come through to watch him work out next week.

- Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis four-star linebacker Jordan Botelho, who earned his invite to The Opening Finals with another stellar camp performance, committed to Notre Dame following his official visit earlier this spring and just drew a trip from assistant coach Brian Polian last week. Botelho said he doesn't think he'll take any other officials during the process, but has continued to hear from several other suitors since announcing for the Fighting Irish.

Quote:
ALPHA DOG

Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis wide out Roman Wilson was our overall top performer for not only how he performed in the drills and one on ones but more so how he tested. Wilson had the top Rating of the day with a 124.59 score that included the days fastest 40 time at 4.37. He also jumped 39" in the vertical, had a 3.96 shuttle and then won the fastest man competition as well.

We liked Wilson in the position drills and one on ones as well where he routinely used his speed to get behind a corner and caught the ball very consistently. He wasn't just a straight line guy, he looked fluid and explosive in his route running and is very deserving a ratings bump as a result of his performance. Wilson is currently a high three-star with an 89 rating but sure looked like a four-star prospect in our eyes.

Top Five Defense

LB Jordan Botelho — No one played with more aggression or intensity than the four-star linebacker from Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis. Any time Botelho has made it to the mainland for a camp, he has put on a show and left a big impression on position coaches. Botelho was terrific in the drills, moving at a different pace than his counterparts, and then had a strong performance in the chase-down reps against running backs. He committed to Notre Dame earlier this spring and said he doesn’t think he’ll take any other official visits. He also landed an invite to The Opening Finals following the camp.

DB Dejuan Butler- The Antioch (Calif.) cornerback is a bit of a quiet, unassuming guy when he plays. But one particular receiver, a highly ranked one in fact, wouldn’t shut up and kept challenging Butler. Butler answered the challenge each and every time, with three consecutive reps and three consecutive breakups. We hadn’t seen Butler since last spring at The Opening Bay when he was a sophomore- he doesn’t play 7v7, but he was excellent on Saturday, showing his quickness and physicality at the line, ability to avoid biting on double moves, quick hands and ball skills. UCLA and Cal are doing well for him right now, and Notre Dame is keeping a close eye on him as well.

DB Lathan Ransom — The four-star safety from Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic was tremendous in coverage, showing his fluidity in space and ability to react to receivers. He was smooth in his backpedal, didn’t bite on double moves and jumped a number of passes. Ransom has very good ball skills and great instincts, making him a versatile defensive back that could fill a variety of roles in a secondary although he projects best as a down-hill safety who plays with his hair on fire. He has taken official visits to Oklahoma and LSU, and plans to take trips to Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas before making a late-summer college commitment. He also landed an invite to The Opening Finals following the camp.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-13-2019 at 06:20 AM.