Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 11-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
ND couldn't go wrong with landing either Edwards, Cardwell or Estime any one of them would be an awesome get imo.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Can anyone provide a cliff notes version of this?
Old 11-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Can anyone provide a cliff notes version of this?
I listened to it - it was good, but not a whole lot of new information. But here is what I took from it:

1. Philip Riley decommitted because of negative recruiting. Loy wouldn't explicitly say what it was or who was negative recruiting, but reading between the lines, it seemed like USC coaches were in his ear and spreading misinformation about Notre Dame's culture - campus life, religious aspects, diversity, etc. But ND was able to keep the dialogue going, even after he decommitted, and got him to visit ND on his own dime when the football team was not on campus (think it was the Pitt game). The campus visit really changed things and he was all ND after that.

2. Josh Bryan apparently wanted to commit in August, but ND didn't offer him. They were not going to offer him, but that changed about a month ago. Once he got the offer, he wanted to commit immediately.

3. The Donovan Edwards' recruitment is trending favorably for ND, but Loy is not ready to say ND is leading or going to win this recruitment. Edwards wanted to commit to OSU back in the summer, but OSU already had 2 RBs, so they basically turned him away. Loy mentioned ND, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Georgia as the serious players. He thinks OU lands Camar Wheaton, so that eliminates them. He also thinks Edwards will stay closer to home, so Georgia is likely not going to land him. So, it will come down to ND/Michigan. ND was basically out due to going all in for Shipley, but things have slowly turned around. It sounds like conversations really picked up before the Clemson game, and the staff actually talked to him the day of the game and the next day. So, moving in a positive direction, but long way to go.

4. Caleb Johnson will flip to ND, barring something unexpected.

5. David Abiarra will not end up in the class.

6. Positive things happening with OU commit Kelvin Gilliam. It sounds like the ND staff thinks they are going to land him, but the OU staff feels good about keeping him. Loy says there is a "lot of smoke about an eventually flip to ND."

7. Loy said the staff only wanted 3 WRs in the class - it sounds like that is something Del wanted. But, he made it clear that ND was not going to land Thornton because of how much he loved Oregon. Loy did say that the ND staff has contacted Thornton and Clemson commit Beaux Collins, but says don't expect anything to come from that. He wouldn't even say if there is a dialogue - just that ND reached out.

8. Loy thinks ND could end up with 25 commits. He thinks it will end up being one of BK's best classes.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Tneun89 - that is a great summary! I didn't think he was that positive on Caleb, only that the staff will be on a zoom call with him today that will likely be the last reachout. Either he flips or he doesn't.

I finally broke down and watched Edwards' highlights. Wow, that kid is electric. I can't believe how he is not a 5*, but regardless of the final ranking, he definitely 5* talent.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:59 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
Tneun89 - that is a great summary! I didn't think he was that positive on Caleb, only that the staff will be on a zoom call with him today that will likely be the last reachout. Either he flips or he doesn't.

I finally broke down and watched Edwards' highlights. Wow, that kid is electric. I can't believe how he is not a 5*, but regardless of the final ranking, he definitely 5* talent.
That’s definitely fair to say about Johnson. I was just putting his comments together with a recent run of crystal balls to ND, including from an Auburn beat writer and Steve Wilfong (National Recruiting Director for 247). So, just combining those two things, but you’re right in that he didn’t say he expected a flip on the podcast. FWIW, I think they recorded the podcast prior to all the crystal balls coming in, so things may have changed. I know he was having a zoom call tonight, so something could come down soon.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:45 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Well, it looks like he flipped in another thread, so it doesn't matter now! Great pick up for the Irish
Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM

Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
https://www.si.com/college/notredame...1-jojo-johnson
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Do we really need another CB? Especially, one that seems like an experiment but whose also really fast. I guess we’re taking 25+ somehow this year.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKellyTheMan View Post
Do we really need another CB? Especially, one that seems like an experiment but whose also really fast. I guess we’re taking 25+ somehow this year.
Barnes and Riley's best college positions might be safety. Walters might grow into a rover. They're getting versatile players. Also, maybe they don't think they will land Ceyair Wright
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think there were some comments about Riley being a better fit at S because he likes to hit and he put on some weight, but I read somewhere else that he is a great lockdown type of corner and really good in bump and run. I bet this new offer is more because we are doubtful about Wright. Wright was supposed to set up a visit in Dec but maybe he was dragging his feet on doing so. Just a guess on my part. Agree about Walter's and Barnes maybe being better at S and Rover.
Old Today, 03:49 AM

Mickens wanted him at Cincinnati and things worked out to get him at ND now. Looks physically solid, has speed, played great this year. Let’s see what happens

I’m not sure Walters can get the weight up enough for Rover. It will interesting to watch.
Old Today, 04:37 AM

It will be interesting to see how many ND takes this cycle. I think it will be 25 at least. Star rankings this year will have an * because not all played and little to no camps. I’m intrigued to see how NDs coaches evaluations turn out for this year. The staffs evaluations have been very good to great in recent years. Mickens has a great track record. Lea excellent. Etc... The DL is my biggest question right now. If they land one more then that reduces, but ND should definitely trust Lea/Elston

Last edited by Big23Head; Today at 04:40 AM.