Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
You are spot on about the PC aspect. Obama won't say anything about the terror links but will throw out his gun control BS. If this AH was investigated in the past for the stuff that is being discussed now, and who knows what more will come up, HIS administration failed to do something about revoking his gun rights etc and having this AH under surveillance. But he'll blame the gun, the store owner, the manufacturer, the NRA, and the second ammendment for what happened
This doesn't make a lick of sense. Do you want people who have been investigated for radical islamic links to have their rights to buy guns revoked or not?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
they should treat guns like cars. registration, testing to get a license etc. but whenever that is proposed the right wing nut jobs go bat sheot crazy "obama is taking our guns"
The difference, of course, being that operating a vehicle is a privilege, not a right enshrined in the Constitution by the founders, which explicitly "shall not be infringed." So important was the right to keep and bear arms in the eyes of the founders, that they placed it below only Freedom of Expression on a list consisting of eight other very significant rights of citizenship.

Despite all of the regulation of motor vehicles, cars kill roughly 3 times the number of people guns do each year. Among those items more deadly than "assault" weapons are knives, fists, hammers and lightning.

Finally, why do "wingnuts" go "bat sheot" crazy over Obama taking our guns:
- From today's Washington Post: "Assault Weapons Must Be Banned" http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ed_130866.html
- From The New Republic last fall: "Its Time To Ban Guns. Yes, All of Them" https://newrepublic.com/article/1254...-guns-yes-them
Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
they should treat guns like cars. registration, testing to get a license etc. but whenever that is proposed the right wing nut jobs go bat sheot crazy "obama is taking our guns"
As mentioned before if we want to have thread about gun rights, we'll make one. I think this one being about terrorism and Islamic extremism is fine without adding another iron to the fire. Matter of fact I will go ahead and start one now.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
they should treat guns like cars. registration, testing to get a license etc.
License at age 16?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

While we're at it the same should stipulations should be applied in regards to the first amendment...
Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
they should treat guns like cars. registration, testing to get a license etc.
Wait a sec...you mean it's not??? Serious question from Canada...
Old 06-15-2016, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

I don't understand why major corporations have to issue declarations of "standing with Orlando." Isn't that obvious? Who isn't standing with the victims in Orlando? ISIS? Imams? Seems kind of grandstandish to publicly make this statement in the midst of statements. Maybe send help instead like Chick-Fil-A did...

Old 06-15-2016, 04:52 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
I don't understand why major corporations have to issue declarations of "standing with Orlando." Isn't that obvious? Who isn't standing with the victims in Orlando? ISIS? Imams? Seems kind of grandstandish to publicly make this statement in the midst of statements. Maybe send help instead like Chick-Fil-A did...
Tragedy brings the best out in the good people in the world, but it also brings out every opportunist. Whether it is political agenda or just wanting to make sure that everyone remembers them in a positive light. Grandstanding is exactly what it is, look at us look at us we care. That is the hallmark of American culture these days, a place where Kardashian is a role model that girls look up to.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
License at age 16?
There is no minimum age to use a long gun. And as a minor you can possess and hold a hunting license as a minor.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:22 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Wait a sec...you mean it's not??? Serious question from Canada...
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57...b0e4fe5143fd4d

Nope
Old 06-15-2016, 06:19 AM
Domer Domain Junior

For one thing, the term "assault weapon" gets tossed around way too often because most people equate the term with an automatic rifle/machine gun. An AR-15 style, in this case a Sig Sauer, is not a machine gun. It is a semi-automatic weapon that will fire once every time you pull the trigger. You could pull the trigger one time, stand there, hold it in place for an hour and it would still only fire that one time.

According to the 1994 assault weapons, an assault weapon is defined as having three of the following characteristics: A detachable magazine and any two of these; A pistol grip, a collapsible stock, a flash suppressor,a mount for a bayonet or a grenade launcher. When you get right down to it, if you were to mount a flash suppressor to a 9mm semi-auto pistol, presto! You have an assault weapon. Detachable magazine, flash suppressor and pistol grip.

Gun control wouldn't have stopped the bombing of the marine barracks in Beirut, the bombing of the USS Cole, the WTC bombing, 9/11, The Boston Marathon attack and it didn't stop the Paris rape spree or Charlie Hebdo. That's just off the top of my head. An Islamic extremist and yes, they do exist, is completely happy to concoct a bomb and blow themselves up along with a dozen innocent people or more.

Also, it is foolhardy to try and claim that Islamic extremism doesn't exist. Are all Muslims terrorists? Of course not. The KKK considers themselves to be a Christian organization but does that mean all Christians are KKK members? Of course not but at least they distinguish themselves with their silly get ups, although not as often as in the past.

Islamic radicalism/fundamentalism is incompatible with western society. It's not just a religion, it is a legal and political system and not all Muslims worship the same. That's no different from Christianity, which has numerous sub-sects and belief sets. If it wasn't so hypocritical, the way the term right wing extremist is tossed around so casually while suggesting someone could be an Islamic extremist/jihadist is taboo would almost be funny, particularly among certain politicians.

This SOB had been on the terror watch list until the Feds decided "Nothing to see here" and took him off. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the screening process involved calling him up and saying "Are you a terrorist? No? Okey-dokey, bye." If he was still on it, he wouldn't have been able to buy these guns legally. He might have been able to still obtain them but he wouldn't pass a background check.

It is absolutely inexcusable that in this day and age, with all the surveillance, multiple federal acronym agencies involved and all the technology that something like this happens. On top of that, politicians kiss these Middle Eastern countries' backsides, provide aid, support to them and still chastise people here for being homophobic, while many of those same countries have laws that either outlaw homosexuality or make it punishable by death.

I don't care if only one out of every thousand Muslims is an extremist, that's 1,500,000 or so too many.

End rant, that is all. Sorry for getting long winded but this topic makes my blood boil.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Convert View Post
This SOB had been on the terror watch list until the Feds decided "Nothing to see here" and took him off. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the screening process involved calling him up and saying "Are you a terrorist? No? Okey-dokey, bye." If he was still on it, he wouldn't have been able to buy these guns legally. He might have been able to still obtain them but he wouldn't pass a background check.

It is absolutely inexcusable that in this day and age, with all the surveillance, multiple federal acronym agencies involved and all the technology that something like this happens.
He was never on any terror list permanently and while he was interviewed by the feds, they decided in their wisdom he did not meet the threshold required to stay on the terror watch list (despite is looking like he clearly should have been on it - shooting incident excluded). Even if he was on a list he would have been able to purchase all of the guns he bought legally and do what he did. A bill to block people on this list was proposed by GW Bush, taken up again by Obama but ultimately shot down by the limp dick congressmen who fear a ****ing gun lobby more than they do care about actually doing something that is logical and fair.

There are 42,000+ people on the no fly list in the US!! You simply cannot put that many people under constant surveillance and lowering the threshold for this will make it even more difficult. However maybe, just maybe it would be a good idea to stop them legally buying guns. Yes they can still obtain weapons if their heart does desire but wouldn't it be a start to stop actually helping them?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
License at age 16?
im from NW PA in 6th grade we had hunter safety class and shot 22's.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
Chick-Fil-A DID send help. But they also grandstanded afterwards. See, everybody thinks we hate gays etc. but look at us. I read an article on it. Just do it and keep your mouth shut.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:35 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
There is no minimum age to use a long gun. And as a minor you can possess and hold a hunting license as a minor.
Each state has its own laws regarding (1) hunting, and (2) owning/purchasing/possessing firearms.

http://gothunts.com/hunting-age-requirements/

http://smartgunlaws.org/category/sta...-possess-guns/

A 10 year-old cannot legally own/purchase/possess a gun in any state, but can hunt in almost every state.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

I didn't think I could dislike BLM even more, but I was wrong

Old 06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge9pHidD8sc
It is what it is and really no surprise IMO.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:14 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
It is what it is and really no surprise IMO.
It actually is a surprise, seriously this is horrible.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:55 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

The left is confused right now. Two protected classes went at it and the narrative is tough for them. Personally I would have zero issues with someone putting a boot to the face of the **** that was involved in that speech.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
To me it's not, never let a good tragedy go to waste to use it as a platform to draw attention to your cause. In a way it's kind of the same as what DJ commented about all the companies and corporations, look at me look at me, I support this now buy my stuff.

If you follow all the stuff going on with the progressive left on college campuses, BLM, etc it's all really disturbing stuff. But it's a whole other topic deserving of another thread also, and I don't want to be the starter of that one lol!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I don't think it is a surprise to be honest. BLM jumped the shark a long, long time ago and being tone deaf is their 'way' to get the movement 'noticed'. In reality it defeats their purpose.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko View Post
I don't think it is a surprise to be honest. BLM jumped the shark a long, long time ago and being tone deaf is their 'way' to get the movement 'noticed'. In reality it defeats their purpose.
Mizzou screwed itself so badly, they've got a record low # of applicants and had to layoff multiple employees. I'm not sure how the school recovers anytime soon, if at all.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickman54 View Post
The left is confused right now. Two protected classes went at it and the narrative is tough for them. Personally I would have zero issues with someone putting a boot to the face of the **** that was involved in that speech.
Or a hot skewer under her finger nails

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
im from NW PA in 6th grade we had hunter safety class and shot 22's.
From Philly...did my undergrad in Western PA. Many of my buddies got their first gun on their 12th or 13th birthday. That was the norm.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:

This country is doomed.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose