Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I can't argue with your sentiment but this is a new year. There's all types of stats demonstrating how the Cubs have dominated this year. They have been on a record pace for wins this year. This is the first time in my life where every game I expect them win. And when they don't, I'm asking what happened. Trust me, as a Cubs fan, this year feels very different then any year since 1984....
After a month and a half?? We are only a quarter of the way through the season.

Given the Cubs history you shouldn't take anything for granted. Perfect example 1984....

Hey, which is worse? Popping off on a website, or stealing a scooter? - PursuitAce

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDomer View Post
Take that right cross Joey Bats. Hilarious. You got plunked and punked!
Really? The way I see it the Rangers looked like punks and cowards. Cowards wait until the last at bat of the last game of the season. My respect is raised for Bautista. He delivered an expected good hard slide well within the unwritten rules of baseball then took a totally unexpected, unblocked, direct punch from Odor and didn't even get knocked down. Odor isn't going to deliver a cleaner, harder punch than that (save for a totally blind sucker punch). The fact he elevated the situation so quickly and yet couldn't even knock Bautista down is going to lose a lot a lot of respect from players on other teams. He will be known as the hot head that can't back it up. Other teams will be looking for an opportunity to injure him.

Hey, which is worse? Popping off on a website, or stealing a scooter? - PursuitAce
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket's Revenge View Post
Really? The way I see it the Rangers looked like punks and cowards. Cowards wait until the last at bat of the last game of the season. My respect is raised for Bautista. He delivered an expected good hard slide well within the unwritten rules of baseball then took a totally unexpected, unblocked, direct punch from Odor and didn't even get knocked down. Odor isn't going to deliver a cleaner, harder punch than that (save for a totally blind sucker punch). The fact he elevated the situation so quickly and yet couldn't even knock Bautista down is going to lose a lot a lot of respect from players on other teams. He will be known as the hot head that can't back it up. Other teams will be looking for an opportunity to injure him.
Not to mention when Bautista's teammates finally made it to the field, guess who was literally the furthest player away? There is a great still shot of the mob in right field and Odor is on the far side of the pile, protected by about every Ranger possible. Donaldson almost got there bit 3 of Odor's teammates tackled him before he could get him
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
You are hilarious RR. Timing and situation to plunk him was perfect. You are in the minority. The unwritten rules of baseball were exercised perfectly. The slide was hard and and I have no problem with it. The punch came before Drake could get one off on his own. Beautiful and as what another poster noted, his press conference after couldn't have been better unless he was wearing a skirt, cuz he looked like a little broken bitch. Agree to disagree brother.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
After a month and a half?? We are only a quarter of the way through the season.

Given the Cubs history you shouldn't take anything for granted. Perfect example 1984....
Never EVER in my life have I expected the Cubs to win games. So take that however you see fit. I'm allowed to be an optimist. I'm a Cubs fan. This year does have a different feel. The Cubs used to be swing and miss hitters. Go big after some power hitting home run hitter and forget all about the farm system. They did that 30 plus years. These guys are young. They bring excitement. What would you have us Cubs fans do, sit and gloat?

As for the plunking...it was a little weak but well deserved. If it happened early then you'll have guys on both teams missing excess games. What would be the point of that. It's done. It should be over with. But, something tells me with Bautista it won't be. He had a great hard slide. Just like the old days. But he got just what he deserved when you slide that late(over the bag) and at a guys leg. He knew what was going to happen. He should had been ready for a fight, but he thought this was going to be just another baseball brawl of hugging and grabbing.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Never EVER in my life have I expected the Cubs to win games. So take that however you see fit. I'm allowed to be an optimist. I'm a Cubs fan. This year does have a different feel. The Cubs used to be swing and miss hitters. Go big after some power hitting home run hitter and forget all about the farm system. They did that 30 plus years. These guys are young. They bring excitement. What would you have us Cubs fans do, sit and gloat?

As for the plunking...it was a little weak but well deserved. If it happened early then you'll have guys on both teams missing excess games. What would be the point of that. It's done. It should be over with. But, something tells me with Bautista it won't be. He had a great hard slide. Just like the old days. But he got just what he deserved when you slide that late(over the bag) and at a guys leg. He knew what was going to happen. He should had been ready for a fight, but he thought this was going to be just another baseball brawl of hugging and grabbing.
Or another bat flip, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram moment. It was and he was on the wrong side of it this time.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Suspensions came down yesterday and I have to admit, they seemed a little pro-Toronto. I'm ok with this of course, but a little surprising that Bautista only got 1 game (which according to some of MLB's best reporters he's going to appeal and actually has a legitimate shot to get out of) and Donaldson and Pillar were not suspended.

On the flipside, how the hell did Jeff Bannister not get any games???? He has replaced the jackass in KC as my least favorite person in baseball
Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

So, what are everyone's thoughts now that we're about halfway home? Here are a few I have....

1) That Cleveland pitching staff is ridiculous. If they ever got a healthy Brantley and added one big bopper, that would be my World Series favorite

2) Despite their recent struggles, the Cubs are still the best team in the NL. Giants are right there though. No offense or the Mets would be my pick over the Nats

3) I still think my Jays are the best team in the AL. I think the Orioles are going to fade and I could probably pitch for the Red Sox right now. The Rangers are very good, but I firmly believe the Jays are peaking now and going to go on a big roll

Thoughts????
Old 07-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Really? Not 1 bite? I know there's guys on here that know and love baseball......c'mon, give me something
Old 07-14-2016, 08:56 PM

Sorry CI, I didn't even notice. NL: I still gotta go with my Cubs. Land a bullpen guy and get Fowler/Soler healthy and they are really tough to beat.

As for the Indians. I agree with your assessment. Red Sox need another good starter and they are set.

Halfway Point MVPs: Trout/Bryant
Cy Young: Salazar/Kershaw
Old 07-15-2016, 01:01 AM

The Dodger pitching staff is getting healthy. They will earn the Wild Card and go to the WS.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:36 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
The Dodger pitching staff is getting healthy. They will earn the Wild Card and go to the WS.
Never put $ on Kershaw in the playoffs. In the playoffs Bumgarner owns Kershaw and it's not even a little close.

Kershaw postseason stats: 64.2 IP, 52 Hits, 33 runs, 23 walks, 77Ks 4.59 ERA, 2-6 record

Bumgarner postseason stats: 88.1 IP, 63 Hits, 21 runs, 15 walks, 77 Ks, 2.14 ERA, 7-3, 1 Save in a Game 7 on the road. Not to mention winning three World Series.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Domer Domain Junior

My only hope in the 2nd half is the Yankees become sellers and trade Miller for some top echelon prospects, trade Chapman and Beltran too, although the returns on them will be no where close to what they could get for Miller. If they can't get what they want for Miller then keep him, he's a bargain at his salary. Yanks are gearing up for some big spending in a couple years although Cashman denies it.

My halfway winners:

AL MVP Donaldson
NL MVP Bryant
CY Sale and Kershaw
Old 07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Sorry CI, like Vegas said, I didn't see your post.

As for Cleveland. I think they falter down the road and sell a couple of pitchers off. Frankly, I've never thought they were that great. Each guy has a losing record with mid to high 3 E.R.A's. Now all of them are playing to their talent. Just not positive that they'll keep that up. I hope my Cubs stay away.

The Cubs will be fine once Fowler comes back. He's the cog. I still think Soler is going to get his crap together. But really, it's all about bullpen and can they get Miiler or Chapman for cheap. I'm not sure they can.
I'm not sure they can beat the Mets in the playoffs. It's in heir heads now and the Cubs strike out way to much against good pitching. The Royals made them work. The Cubs just whiff.

I don't see the Orioles fading. I see that race going down to the last day with a playoff game between the Jays.

The Giants are the team to beat in my eyes. They've done it before. Hey have the best post game pitcher in Baumgardner and they always get timely hitting. Their pitching's coming around. They'll be a force as always.

The Rangers are an interesting team. Tons of offense. Hey have Jurickson on the bench who was taking until Odor came back. Hamilton I would assume comes back. If Prince gets hot for a month, watch out! Obviously, their pitching is a concern. As always...

Mars have a great one two in pitching just as they do in hitting. But as Strasburg, Sherzer, Harper, and Murphey go. So do the Nats.

Dodgers I'm just not a fan of. Something always seems missing or disfunctional.

The Cards will make a run with the Pirates but they'll fall short.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlinger View Post
My halfway winners:

AL MVP Donaldson
NL MVP Bryant
CY Sale and Kershaw
Agre with all but, surprisingly, Donaldson. I'd go with Altuve now... In September it'll be Donaldson again, but right now...
Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Never put $ on Kershaw in the playoffs. In the playoffs Bumgarner owns Kershaw and it's not even a little close.

Kershaw postseason stats: 64.2 IP, 52 Hits, 33 runs, 23 walks, 77Ks 4.59 ERA, 2-6 record

Bumgarner postseason stats: 88.1 IP, 63 Hits, 21 runs, 15 walks, 77 Ks, 2.14 ERA, 7-3, 1 Save in a Game 7 on the road. Not to mention winning three World Series.
All true. But Kershaw is due. We have a manager now who knows what he is doing. He's due and the Giants are due for a fall.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
All true. But Kershaw is due. We have a manager now who knows what he is doing. He's due and the Giants are due for a fall.
Kershaw = Peyton manning

Bumgarner = Tom Brady.

I'll go Bumgarner over Kershaw 10/10 when it comes to the post season.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Now THAT was an amazing last day of the MLB regular season.

Managed to score a ticket from a buddy for the wildcard game on Tuesday - no idea who's going to pitch for the Jays but should be a hell of a game.

I think it's going to wind up Cubs-Sox, but I wouldn't want to play the Jays if they can get past the O's
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Liriano......
Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM

My halfway point MVPs should both win MVP IMO. Trout and Bryant.

As for Cy young it's gotta be between Lester/Hendricks in the NL, and I would give it to Britton in the AL.

Managers of the Year: Maddon and Farrell

ROY: Gary Sanchez and Corey Seager
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

The Rangers are an interesting team. Tons of offense. Hey have Jurickson on the bench who was taking until Odor came back. Hamilton I would assume comes back. If Prince gets hot for a month, watch out! Obviously, their pitching is a concern. As always...
I'll match Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish against any team's top two pitchers in the playoffs. The bullpen is decent, not spectacular. The offense is pretty good. Josh Hamilton will never play another game, period. Not for the Rangers, not for anyone. He. is. done.

The Rangers win tons of close games. They'll get blown out in one game, then win two close games.

I'm a Rangers fan. Not overly confident of their playoff chances, but they could certainly get to and even win the World Series.

If they play Toronto, that will be a really fun series to watch. Odor vs Bautista...the punch heard round the world!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I'll match Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish against any team's top two pitchers in the playoffs. The bullpen is decent, not spectacular. The offense is pretty good. Josh Hamilton will never play another game, period. Not for the Rangers, not for anyone. He. is. done.

The Rangers win tons of close games. They'll get blown out in one game, then win two close games.

I'm a Rangers fan. Not overly confident of their playoff chances, but they could certainly get to and even win the World Series.

If they play Toronto, that will be a really fun series to watch. Odor vs Bautista...the punch heard round the world!

I was thinking Darvish would need a whole year to return to form. He's been decent at times but has shown some rust also. I like Hamels but he's getting long in the tooth.

As the Cubs have shown, you need more then just two reliable starters(Arrieta and Lester last year) in the playoffs. One gets beat and you have to hope that your third can come up with a win. Puts a lot of pressure on the number two to win game two.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Let's go Blue Jays!!!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Was at the game last night....Needless to say, work SUCKED today. Gonna watch the whole damn thing on PVR tonight! That was one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever been to. We gave you the Bat Flip. Now the Bat Drop. Up next, the Revenge Punch???
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianIrish View Post
Was at the game last night....Needless to say, work SUCKED today. Gonna watch the whole damn thing on PVR tonight! That was one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever been to. We gave you the Bat Flip. Now the Bat Drop. Up next, the Revenge Punch???
What's going on with your Blue Jay fans throwing stuff on the field? This isn't a hat trick, you know?