Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Guns

I know. I know. A very hot topic. But Iím not trying to start a crap storm here. But as I read peopleís thoughts on the web, I ran across something I thought was interesting.

I know we have quite a few cops on this board-speedster, ND Hoosier, Officer Tim(I believe is one). But as a civilian to a cop, would you rather have less people with guns in our society than more? Would it make your job easier? Honest question here. It kinda ties in with the gun issue today. It also probably tugs at your personal beliefs on guns. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I know. I know. A very hot topic. But Iím not trying to start a crap storm here. But as I read peopleís thoughts on the web, I ran across something I thought was interesting.

I know we have quite a few cops on this board-speedster, ND Hoosier, Officer Tim(I believe is one). But as a civilian to a cop, would you rather have less people with guns in our society than more? Would it make your job easier? Honest question here. It kinda ties in with the gun issue today. It also probably tugs at your personal beliefs on guns. Thoughts?
Guns are a tool. I can't fear the tool, but I can fear the person known or unknown who wields it. Guns aren't the problem, people and human nature is. I've seen people killed in all manners over my career. The method didn't matter so much as a person made a decision that ended in the taking of another person's life.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Guns are a tool. I can't fear the tool, but I can fear the person known or unknown who wields it.
Tools has specific uses. Are guns being used properly? I guess one could say fertilizer is a tool or refrigerant. There are limits on how much you can buy or you have to a certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Guns aren't the problem, people and human nature is. I've seen people killed in all manners over my career. The method didn't matter so much as a person made a decision that ended in the taking of another person's life.
That's so true, but guns make it easier to take lives. As an officer, if you get called to a domestic disturbance, wouldn't you like to know if there a 20 assault rifles in the home?

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
Tools has specific uses. Are guns being used properly? I guess one could say fertilizer is a tool or refrigerant. There are limits on how much you can buy or you have to a certification.

That's so true, but guns make it easier to take lives. As an officer, if you get called to a domestic disturbance, wouldn't you like to know if there a 20 assault rifles in the home?
Fertilizer nor any other tools/objects are granted a specific right to ownership in the Constitution.

Our dispatchers are trained to ask about firearms or weapons in a home on domestic disturbances or any disturbance for that matter. The answer we receive may or may not be correct. Most homes have hammers, knives, blunt objects, and a potential combatant may use personal weapons, lingo for any part of their body. Statistically speaking any one of these weapons kill more people in any given year than "assault" rifles do per FBI crime statistics. As a officer though, my probability of getting killed by a firearm is higher due to a multitude of factors compared to John Q. Public. Every call we go to is a gun call....ours. There have been too many officers who've died by their own service weapon over the years.

Generally speaking over the course of my career, I never know what I'm getting into on a given call, there's always more unknowns and that'll never change. The people I've dealt with who cause problems with firearms by an overwhelming percentage are people who obtained them illegally and weren't the card carrying members of the NRA or other likeminded individuals. On top of that it's also been my experience watching continued repeat offenders and felons walk in and out of firearm charges without much consequence. There are tons of laws on the books that are extremely strict and clear in sentencing for firearm offenders.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Ugh. Uranium one and now this, Jessie your a good dude but stop using right wing sites like breitbart as your source. Guns kill more period https://www.snopes.com/four-times-mo...fles-any-kind/
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2009-2013.xls
Old 02-23-2018, 03:18 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Interesting.
According to this site there are only about 10 murders by poisoning per year and 5 by explosives. Far fewer than I would have imagined.

Thank you jessemoore97 for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Thank you 2Dokes for keeping the discussion lively and for using references.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Interesting.
According to this site there are only about 10 murders by poisoning per year and 5 by explosives. Far fewer than I would have imagined.

It is interesting. Also interesting that 7 people died due to poisoning of Tylenol and the government along with the manufacture took immediate measures to make sure it never happened again. The person who did it probably had mental health issues too, that didn’t stop them from preventing future attacks. Don’t think they spent time sending thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Ugh. Uranium one and now this, Jessie your a good dude but stop using right wing sites like breitbart as your source. Guns kill more period https://www.snopes.com/four-times-mo...fles-any-kind/
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2009-2013.xls
Jim do you understand reading comprehension? Davislove specifically asked me as an officer if I wanted to know if there were 20 assault rifles in a house I'm responding to. I addressed him. According to your own sources my point still stands, and thank you for providing those statistics to illuminate my point so concisely.

I have no political sources like Breitbart, Fox News, or whoever you claim. Because of my job we review these law enforcement statistics from Federal, State, and local agencies so we know what's going on and pursue measures to effectively train and respond to the data we pour over.

THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY in what i said! BTW on a side note, since I'm sure it will be brought up from your Snopes article and the MISC/unknown firearms. Our reports that track these statistics keep track of FOUR types of firearms: revolvers, semi-auto handguns, shotguns, rifles. It is a simple box we check for whatever weapon type was used or displayed during a reported incident, no politics involved and hasn't changed in going on 20 years of my career. Note again rifle do not denote "assault" type, hunting: single action, bolt action, semi-auto, black powder, air soft. Part of the reason we don't break down rifles like we do handguns I suspect is because the statistical break down of occurrence and variance is an extremely small sample size. Again nothing conspiratorial about it.

Last edited by jessemoore97; 02-23-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Interesting.

Lol and how many of those poisoning murders were overt? No one murders with poison anymore because they know its easy to catch and trace. People who poison are trying to kill someone without getting caught. A far cry from some millennial crybaby dip$hit who wants to solve the failures of his upbringing by killing the normal kids he went to school with...

If youre a psycho who feels compelled to murder as many peers as possible in a murderous rampage, youll use the deadliest tool you can get your hands on--a 7.62 AR-15. Taking that weapon away isnt going to leave the psycho in a conundum, shrugging away his/her issues with no recourse. Theyll simply murder with alternate weapons. A handgun. A knife. A homemade explosive made with easily accessible ingredients from a recipe easily found online. Ask China.

Whatever they can acquire...and not necessarily legally since you might be shocked to learn that people hell bent on breaking our laws dont follow laws regarding firearms.

Anyone wanna talk about banning knives in China since thats the weapon of choice when killing dozens of kids in a nation where its hard to acquire an AR-15? Its happened a half dozen times in the last decade there but i guess that wouldn't support the narrative that an assault rifle ban would magically cure lunatics who want to commit murder.

Oh and lets also not forget that an assault rifle ban wouldn't include semiautomatic AR-15s since they arent assault rifles by definition without the stock.

We have a problem with these copycat school shootings because our troubled kids want to be remembered as remarkable in an age where you have to do something truly terrifying to make the IG feed....

They see the headlines school shootings garner. They kill at schools because our dip$hit media jerks itself off to every instance and reassures every troubled kid with access to a gun that that is how they can cement their legacy when they feel like they have nothing else to offer.

Our society..and our parenting...and what we've become is fu(king embarrassing.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose

Last edited by echo88; 02-23-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

So if a school shooting happens the news shouldn't cover it? If all these shootings happen with AR-15s why wouldn't you just ban AR-15s?
Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
So if a school shooting happens the news shouldn't cover it? If all these shootings happen with AR-15s why wouldn't you just ban AR-15s?
Because really, they'll just use the next best thing available, whatever that is.

Ban one thing, they'll move on the next. Ban that, then move on to the next.

Let's also make laws to take away driver's licenses from repeat-offender drunk drivers, because, you know, that works so well. Maybe make them take breath tests to start their cars, or even take away their cars. I'd be willing to bet we all know of situations where someone with a drinking problem defeated all of these measures. Of course intent is different in the cases of mass shootings and drunk driving manslaughter, but laws will be broken by people who simply choose to ignore them. Bad people make bad choices over and over, regardless of the laws. We need laws, and we need enforcement of the laws. Taking away AR-15's will not stop this problem.
Maybe we should see what we are doing as a culture that we weren't doing 30 years ago, or maybe things we aren't doing as a culture that we were doing 30 years ago.
As terrible as these shootings are, taking away AR-15's will simply not stop this from happening. Once AR-15's are taken away, these individuals will just bring a backpack full of handguns, with multiple cartridges, each holding 11 or 15 bullets.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Lol and how many of those poisoning murders were overt? No one murders with poison anymore because they know its easy to catch and trace. People who poison are trying to kill someone without getting caught. A far cry from some millennial crybaby dip$hit who wants to solve the failures of his upbringing by killing the normal kids he went to school with...

If youre a psycho who feels compelled to murder as many peers as possible in a murderous rampage, youll use the deadliest tool you can get your hands on--a 7.62 AR-15. Taking that weapon away isnt going to leave the psycho in a conundum, shrugging away his/her issues with no recourse. Theyll simply murder with alternate weapons. A handgun. A knife. A homemade explosive made with easily accessible ingredients from a recipe easily found online. Ask China.

Whatever they can acquire...and not necessarily legally since you might be shocked to learn that people hell bent on breaking our laws dont follow laws regarding firearms.

Anyone wanna talk about banning knives in China since thats the weapon of choice when killing dozens of kids in a nation where its hard to acquire an AR-15? Its happened a half dozen times in the last decade there but i guess that wouldn't support the narrative that an assault rifle ban would magically cure lunatics who want to commit murder.

Oh and lets also not forget that an assault rifle ban wouldn't include semiautomatic AR-15s since they arent assault rifles by definition without the stock.

We have a problem with these copycat school shootings because our troubled kids want to be remembered as remarkable in an age where you have to do something truly terrifying to make the IG feed....

They see the headlines school shootings garner. They kill at schools because our dip$hit media jerks itself off to every instance and reassures every troubled kid with access to a gun that that is how they can cement their legacy when they feel like they have nothing else to offer.

A half dozen times in the last decade? Isn't that a lot better than what the USA has no like two dozen school shootings in less than 2 months? lmao.

Can't even remember the last time we had a school shooting in Canada, I think our province has one in our history.

The stats don't lie though, the US is the only country with such lax gun laws so feel free to dispute the stats.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

It's a moot point at the end of the day because it's a billion dollar or whatever industry and money talks.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Iíve never owned a gun...but Iím not anti-gun.

I just donít understand how someone can walk into a store or show and walk out with an AR-15. It seems too easy.

I donít understand why it canít be a little harder and tracked better.

Iím willing to listen.

Also, I am a teacher...and arming teachers is not the answer. Do you have any idea how crazy some teachers are? But thatís a whole different topic.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I'm pro-2A and I wouldn't mind seeing some changes. I don't mind a 3 day waiting period on AR sales, better background checks, background checks at gun shows, etc. Hell, I order my guns online and it takes at least 3 days for them to arrive anyway. (for those of you who have never done this, it has to be sent to an FFL and I go through all of the standard paperwork, background checks before it is handed over to me). Just wanted to clear up the myths behind 'you can buy xyz gun online and have it shipped to you' B.S.

Increasing the minimum age to purchase an AR is not a bad idea, either. With gun ownership comes great responsibility and an 18 year old kid really isn't mature enough to handle that, in my opinion. In my state (not sure if this is a national thing or not), you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

The majority of people who purchase guns legally aren't the ones you have to worry about, though (see Detroit and Chicago). I don't think gun violence would be as bad as it is today if we actually enforced the laws we currently have. People are more willing to give 2nd and 3rd chances or shorten sentences due to prison overcrowding (another topic for another day).

Gun safety courses wouldn't be a bad idea, either...but then you get into the whole "stepping on the 2nd amendment" thing.

I've owned countless guns over the years and I'm in the process of building an AR for the first time. None of them have seen the light of day outside of a trip to the shooting range.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I think his point was Cyanide and substances that can be released on the masses are not something you can pick up at Walmart. I'm old enough to remember the Tylenol scare. Action was taken immediately, no was said "now is not the time to talk about it".

Quote:
Traffic signals don't stop intersection accidents....but it helps. There would be a lot more accidents without them. The goal is to slow it down. it's getting out of hand.

Quote:
Some of these may not have been hell benters. They were having a rough period and had an assault rifle handy. Put one and one together. Sometimes things just don't mix. Like drinking and driving.

Quote:
Mass knife killings aren't an issue in America, guns are. Unless your name is John Rambo, I don't see how you kill a bunch of people with a knife. I'm not for teachers carrying guns, but I'm all for them keeping a 9 iron by their desk. I'll take a golf club over a knife any day. Americans today are too lazy to use a knife.

Quote:
I'm for stronger gun laws and restrictions, not necessarily banning guns.

Quote:

And that's why things need to change, we're dumber as a nation.

Also, we live in a nation where some folks just want to shoot people. You have those weirdo's that go off into the woods to train in hopes they have to fight the government. LOL.

Hell, last summer they had to come out and say "please don't shoot at the hurricanes". When you have to say that, you need to take another look at your gun laws.

To me, if you get up in the morning and strap on a gun and don't have a job that requires you to do so, That's someone you need to watch the way you watch Abdul Raheem with a backpack.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
A half dozen times in the last decade? Isn't that a lot better than what the USA has no like two dozen school shootings in less than 2 months? lmao.

Can't even remember the last time we had a school shooting in Canada, I think our province has one in our history.

The stats don't lie though, the US is the only country with such lax gun laws so feel free to dispute the stats.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

It's a moot point at the end of the day because it's a billion dollar or whatever industry and money talks.
I always wondered why nations with stronger guns laws don't have the as many mentally ill people as we have going on shooting sprees?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcubby View Post
Iíve never owned a gun...but Iím not anti-gun.

I just donít understand how someone can walk into a store or show and walk out with an AR-15. It seems too easy.

I donít understand why it canít be a little harder and tracked better.

Iím willing to listen.

Also, I am a teacher...and arming teachers is not the answer. Do you have any idea how crazy some teachers are? But thatís a whole different topic.
I would question a teacher that is willing to carry a gun and a kid and maybe his own student. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen anyway.

A lot of these gun folks romanticize themselves as John McClane from die hard. But when the bullets start flying they more likely to shoot their own foot, or be like the armed officer at that school and haul a$$ the other way. Leave the gun toting to the pros.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Good civility guys.

I wrote this before on a friends page. But I tend to believe Americans inherently believe itís their right to own guns. Where as, other countries believe you have to earn that right.

Also, read Germany has quite a few guns per person with lower gun deaths. They do have stricter gun laws. As have some pointed out, age limit to buy is 25. Before purchasing they have to have to go through psychiatric test. If hey get caught with a DUI they lose their gun or have to go back through the psychiatric test again.

Thanks for the input Jessie. Iím still curious on other law enforcement answers. Would you feel safer with less guns or restrictions to these guns.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdntDrvr View Post
I'm pro-2A and I wouldn't mind seeing some changes. I don't mind a 3 day waiting period on AR sales, better background checks, background checks at gun shows, etc. Hell, I order my guns online and it takes at least 3 days for them to arrive anyway. (for those of you who have never done this, it has to be sent to an FFL and I go through all of the standard paperwork, background checks before it is handed over to me). Just wanted to clear up the myths behind 'you can buy xyz gun online and have it shipped to you' B.S.
I agree, making some changes to go along with the times is not a bad thing.

Quote:
The majority of people who purchase guns legally aren't the ones you have to worry about, though (see Detroit and Chicago). I don't think gun violence would be as bad as it is today if we actually enforced the laws we currently have. People are more willing to give 2nd and 3rd chances or shorten sentences due to prison overcrowding (another topic for another day).
I was in Chicago recently working and when you don't hear sirens, it feels strange. That said, people who live in cities with a lot of gun violence want stronger laws. The folks living in gated communities who only have to worry about their daughters OD'ing on oxy act as though they need guns for protection. I don't get that.

I can go on message boards and see guys taking pictures of their multitude of guns. Someone please tell me why a gun with buttload of guns is someone I should not be concerned about? Please.

Quote:
Gun safety courses wouldn't be a bad idea, either...but then you get into the whole "stepping on the 2nd amendment" thing.

I've owned countless guns over the years and I'm in the process of building an AR for the first time. None of them have seen the light of day outside of a trip to the shooting range.
I think it's time to take another look at the 2nd amendment.

When America was just a few colonies surrounded by wilderness and we didn't know what was gonna come out of them, of course we needed people packing. And does the 2-A apply to children? We don't want 12 year olds exercising their 2-A rights on the playground correct? We have a lot of adults that act like 12 year olds.

I also feel the second Amendment has been bastardized and taken out of context over the years the way some people think freedom of speech is being able to say anything without consequence or not knowing the difference between anti-PC and being an a$$hole.

In the not so distant future someone is going to rob a bank and try to use the constitution as a defense. His rights as an American is life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Money brings him joy.

That's who we are today.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Good civility guys.

I wrote this before on a friends page. But I tend to believe Americans inherently believe it’s their right to own guns. Where as, other countries believe you have to earn that right.

Also, read Germany has quite a few guns per person with lower gun deaths. They do have stricter gun laws. As have some pointed out, age limit to buy is 25. Before purchasing they have to have to go through psychiatric test. If hey get caught with a DUI they lose their gun or have to go back through the psychiatric test again.

Thanks for the input Jessie. I’m still curious on other law enforcement answers. Would you feel safer with less guns or restrictions to these guns.
I don't have much to say on this topic LOL.

I have to leave soon so someone else can get a word in.

It may just be semantics but inherently means someone was born with a belief. I don't think Americans came out of the womb loving guns. I have family members that live in the country, hunt and have a gun rack on their pick ups. That's their way of life.

To be fair I also feel that more republican would be open to gun laws if they didn't feel like they were always attacked for their beliefs. I get that.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
I agree, making some changes to go along with the times is not a bad thing.

I was in Chicago recently working and when you don't hear sirens, it feels strange. That said, people who live in cities with a lot of gun violence want stronger laws. The folks living in gated communities who only have to worry about their daughters OD'ing on oxy act as though they need guns for protection. I don't get that.

I can go on message boards and see guys taking pictures of their multitude of guns. Someone please tell me why a gun with buttload of guns is someone I should not be concerned about? Please.

I think it's time to take another look at the 2nd amendment.

When America was just a few colonies surrounded by wilderness and we didn't know what was gonna come out of them, of course we needed people packing. And does the 2-A apply to children? We don't want 12 year olds exercising their 2-A rights on the playground correct? We have a lot of adults that act like 12 year olds.

I also feel the second Amendment has been bastardized and taken out of context over the years the way some people think freedom of speech is being able to say anything without consequence or not knowing the difference between anti-PC and being an a$$hole.

In the not so distant future someone is going to rob a bank and try to use the constitution as a defense. His rights as an American is life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Money brings him joy.

That's who we are today.

Some people just like to collect them as a hobby. Sure, some may be preppers or gov't conspiracy theorist...but I just enjoy the different types/styles/calibers, etc. I don't have a buttload of guns, but I would if I could and you would have absolutely nothing to fear from me.

And no, we don't need to revisit the 2nd Amendment
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Some people just like to collect them as a hobby. Sure, some may be preppers or gov't conspiracy theorist...but I just enjoy the different types/styles/calibers, etc. I don't have a buttload of guns, but I would if I could and you would have absolutely nothing to fear from me.

Kudos to you for being a law abiding citizen but you are an outlier unfortunately. There's needs to be stricter background checks meaning training, tests and mental health assessments before you can buy one. No one needs an ar-15 either unless your going to war.

Go look at the stats I posted and try to argue those.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:

There have been five or six in history... I was on campus for the Concordia University incident. Not fun. I abandoned my football career the next day.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Kudos to you for being a law abiding citizen but you are an outlier unfortunately. There's needs to be stricter background checks meaning training, tests and mental health assessments before you can buy one. No one needs an ar-15 either unless your going to war.

Go look at the stats I posted and try to argue those.
No one needs a Porsche unless they're taking it to a track, either...

I'm not going to argue stats as my rights are outlined in the constitution and current law. Don't like it, change them.

I agree with more strict background checks, I have no issue with that at all. I have no issue with training, but that will ruffle the feathers of quite a few people. Mental health assessments are touchy as well. I mean, if you've been confined to a mental health facility I know you can't get a concealed carry permit...not sure about purchasing a gun, though.

People that want to commit crimes with a firearm will find a way to acquire it whether you have all of these things in place or not...but I think it's a good start. Upholding the laws that are currently on the books and stricter sentences for gun violence would help just as much, if not more.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Thatís life, people have to ruin it for everyone else. Have to take shoes off at airports wait in long lines at airports, canít drink after certain time, etc.
Closed Thread