Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Convert View Post
I believe it really got started when Junior Seau committed suicide five, six years ago and then a bunch of former players started coming out of the woodwork. The issue is, you can't really be diagnosed until after you die so your brain can be removed and examined, at least that was the case. I don't know if that's changed.

I'm in the camp that believes that if you're going to play as physical a sport as football then you should know there are physical risks involved. I mean, there are limits to how safe you can make the game unless you eliminate contact altogether and essentially turn it into flag football.

Helmets have been redesigned multiple times to try to limit neurological damage but you simply can't keep the brain from sloshing around in your head because it's surrounded by fluid.
Agreed. I've actually been trying to get protocols/policy established with my agency to protect officers who've been exposed to concussions specifically. I felt that current practices or a lack thereof were putting the officers, department, and city at increased risk, though my concern was focused more so on the officers. Right now its being discussed and drawn up to go city wide for all municipal departments, not my intent, and we'll see how much of my original proposal sees the light of day.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Jack View Post
Just pointing out the difference in cultures. They play soccer, we play football. We are a tougher people. I get that football can't be good for your brain. But neither is boxing, mma, hockey, racing, etc and no one is forced to play.
disrespectfully disagree it has to do with objectifiable measure of toughness
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
Wanted to ask about why you bring up soccer. I have never been a fan of the sport and to tell you the truth don't even know the rules really. Of course there are collisions in that sport but not on every play.
Probably bc it's a sport for pvssies. And "collisions" are hardly prevalent, most of the time it's these wusses barely getting touched and collapsing to the ground like they had a stroke. I respect the conditioning and hand eye coordination it takes to play, but the sport itself has no integrity.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Probably bc it's a sport for pvssies. And "collisions" are hardly prevalent, most of the time it's these wusses barely getting touched and collapsing to the ground like they had a stroke. I respect the conditioning and hand eye coordination it takes to play, but the sport itself has no integrity.
You have some anger issues.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
You're unbelievable
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
It's called "selling a call" and every sport has its flavor of it....

They aren't being pu$$ies. They're giving their team an advantage, a widely acceptable and expected course of action in soccer.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
It's called "selling a call" and every sport has its flavor of it....

They aren't being pu$$ies. They're giving their team an advantage, a widely acceptable and expected course of action in soccer.
He's clearly never even watched a soccer game. It isn't rugby, but corner kicks or set pieces at a high level aren't exactly the ballet.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Dude you're a caricature of the old man shaking his fist at a cloud, the only difference is you graduated high school in 2006. Anyone you disagree with is a "fvcking" "pvssy" or a "b1tch." The last one is my favorite because although you've posted on this site thousands of times you aren't bright enough to realize "bitch" isn't censored.

Believe it or not, all soccer players aren't bitches and not all people who disagree with you on how ND is currently run are "pvssies." Honestly you whine more about who you think should be banned from a message board than any self respecting man should, but again your name on this site is bragging about your high school graduating class, so what could I have reasonably expected to happen.

We can all agree that we want Notre Dame to win and we should be able to have different ideas on how that can best happen without resorting to sounding like a bunch of bickering children. Quit with the bullcrap, dick swinging macismo, it's not doing anyone any good.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
A majority of football players have CTE?
Yes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...6Lf?li=BBnb7Kz
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
They get paid family-changing, even legacy building, millions for this. I'm not batting an eye about it, because there are plenty of people who would give up their brains for millions if it means giving a better life to their kids and grandkids. We pay for this and they receive the benefit in the form of millions. They aren't getting the slightest sympathy from me.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

WoW, that is a crazy %

The way Football is played today won't be around much longer
Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
They get paid family-changing, even legacy building, millions for this. I'm not batting an eye about it, because there are plenty of people who would give up their brains for millions if it means giving a better life to their kids and grandkids. We pay for this and they receive the benefit in the form of millions. They aren't getting the slightest sympathy from me.
Exactly. There are tons of kids who will happily forfeit their sanity/physical capabilities later in life for a shot at glory right now.

And it will be this way for a very long time....
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
I feel bad for the 48 out of 53 college players they studied and the 3 of 14 hs. 3 out of 14 may seem small but really need a bigger sample size to make a clear judgment. I think these studies help for future decision making. If a player and their parents know the clear risks and still choose to pursue then so be it. Fact is no one really knew about this until recently. So yeah I kinda feel bad for some of the NFL players like Jim McMahon.

Either way I think 15 years down the line when we look at the NDs and Stanfords of the world, their success will be corralled with this issue imo.
And parents that don't want their kids to play football and choose other sports are not pussies like small minded people like to say, they are smart and care about their kids future. It would be awesome for my future son to have a cfb scholarship, but unless he is kicking not going to happen.

Last edited by Jim2Dokes; 07-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
I feel bad for the 48 out of 53 college players they studied and the 3 of 14 hs. 3 out of 14 may seem small but really need a bigger sample size to make a clear judgment. I think these studies help for future decision making. If a player and their parents know the clear risks and still choose to pursue then so be it. Fact is no one really knew about this until recently. So yeah I kinda feel bad for some of the NFL players like Jim McMahon.

Either way I think 15 years down the line when we look at the NDs and Stanfords of the world, their success will be corralled with this issue imo.
And parents that don't want their kids to play football and choose other sports are not pussies like small minded people like to say, they are smart and care about their kids future. It would be awesome for my future son to have a cfb scholarship, but unless he is kicking not going to happen.
At least if you attend ND or Stanford, you'll have an education as a safety net when your brain goes to mush. Personally, I doubt CTE is myuch of an issue if your final football days are in college. I think the NFL is where the hurt really gets put on the brain...
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

How many people get bad backs, knees, feet, shoulders, etc. from working blue collar jobs? Heck I've got a heel spur from being on my feet so much and a bad wrist from repetitive motion. And im still young. White collar jobs give you heart attacks, high blood pressure and ulcers.

It's called life. Most jobs have risks. I'm not feeling sorry for these guys.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
While I agree with you, one study suggested 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in financial difficulty within 2 years of retirement. So most of them aren't taking advantage of the millions they are making.

But that is a different issue.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
While I agree with you, one study suggested 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in financial difficulty within 2 years of retirement. So most of them aren't taking advantage of the millions they are making.

That's because they don't go to college to play school. I like how Ohio State devotes a day of the week to real life lessons on how to conduct yourself, your finances, etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post

The good news is that people are getting smarter...this generation of players isn't as "bling bling" as the 80s-2000s were. Kids are getting smarter with their money and the major sporting leagues are starting to have an orientation and that includes money management

edit: just want to get ahead of this inevitable rebuttal but please don't point to one player or a Superstar and say "well, THIS player buys up all this, blah blah"
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
At face value the numbers are eye opening. However there are a number of factors and variables that I would like to see broken down and put in context. I'd like to know more background of the test subjects like age and cause of death, quality of life post football, and other things to help fill in the picture.

Personally I worry about dementia and Alzhimers, not because I played through college. There is a family history with my great grandfather and grandfather, neither of whom played that I'm aware of. My father is in his early 60s and it's something I am preparing myself for when he gets into his 70-80s when it previously manifested in the family. He barely played in HS. Now if I get dementia or Alzhimers and they try to point out that it's because of football, someone needs to stand up and point out that family history has been present in my case. CTE from contact sports alone cannot be decided as the exclusive reason I got the affliction.

Like I said there are other background factors that may be at work in various cases. Mine is just one example.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
How many people get bad backs, knees, feet, shoulders, etc. from working blue collar jobs? Heck I've got a heel spur from being on my feet so much and a bad wrist from repetitive motion. And im still young. White collar jobs give you heart attacks, high blood pressure and ulcers.

It's called life. Most jobs have risks. I'm not feeling sorry for these guys.
Bad backs are different than losing your mind. Dementia sucks and no one looks forward to it, it there were a job that said if you do this job you have a 90% chance of dementia, would you do it? White collar jobs don't give you heart attacks btw, people that sit all day, eat McDonald's and don't work out get heart attacks. Of course genetics can have something to do with it to but that's beside the point.

Quote:
That's because they don't go to college to play school. I like how Ohio State devotes a day of the week to real life lessons on how to conduct yourself, your finances, etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
Bad backs are different than losing your mind. Dementia sucks and no one looks forward to it, it there were a job that said if you do this job you have a 90% chance of dementia, would you do it? White collar jobs don't give you heart attacks btw, people that sit all day, eat McDonald's and don't work out get heart attacks. Of course genetics can have something to do with it to but that's beside the point.

Researchers don't know how common it is. The one study in Boston was only on ex players who were having problems before death. I find it hard to believe that 90 percent of the 1985 bears or 1977 cowboys have dementia. Now the steroid steelers of the 1970s are a different case. They have had countless deaths due to their team doctors giving them enough steroids to choke a horse. But even those teams(what's left) aren't experiencing that kind of dementia rate. 90 percent? Good grief.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Researchers don't know how common it is. The one study in Boston was only on ex players who were having problems before death. I find it hard to believe that 90 percent of the 1985 bears or 1977 cowboys have dementia. Now the steroid steelers of the 1970s are a different case. They have had countless deaths due to their team doctors giving them enough steroids to choke a horse. But even those teams(what's left) aren't experiencing that kind of dementia rate. 90 percent? Good grief.
That's one of the other issues I have with the study, all the subjects in it are known to be FB players. Is there a double blind study where they look at examples from a cross section of the populace? I mean it's pretty one sided in its scope and conclusions from the tidbit of info we are given. Just a lot of questions left out there.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
You mean like how to get free tattoos and sell your memorabilia? And then lie about it?

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I haven't even read DD for months, but one of my favorite things to do when I do is read just the first page and last page of a long thread and the ponder how the narrative changed.

So mediocrity causes dementia? I don't want to read all of the pages in between, can someone summarize?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkers View Post
I haven't even read DD for months, but one of my favorite things to do when I do is read just the first page and last page of a long thread and the ponder how the narrative changed.

So mediocrity causes dementia? I don't want to read all of the pages in between, can someone summarize?
I think you hit the nail on the head! But I can't remember...