Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Notre Dame removes Columbus

https://www.kxan.com/news/latest/not...rld/1713625092
Old 01-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I'm glad you brought that up. Father Jenkins continues to lose my support (not that he or the university cares).

The murals are gorgeous, perhaps offensive to some, but are historic in nature and a depiction of evangelization in the new world. While not factually correct, they do have a place in history and in the history of this university.

I don't agree with a lot of the teachings in the catechism but we must not allow the heritage of Our Lady's Catholic University be altered.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurorish View Post
I'm glad you brought that up. Father Jenkins continues to lose my support (not that he or the university cares).

The murals are gorgeous, perhaps offensive to some, but are historic in nature and a depiction of evangelization in the new world. While not factually correct, they do have a place in history and in the history of this university.

I don't agree with a lot of the teachings in the catechism but we must not allow the heritage of Our Lady's Catholic University be altered.
Wait....what?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurorish View Post
I agree. if you agree or disagree about Columbus it was a part of American history and should be noted in history.

if people are so offended by this and any other paintings or statues at ND why go there, I guess their not to proud to accept a ND degree.

for all ND fans you better get up to ND while you can and see all the paintings and statues before they are all torn down.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I understand history and the way perspective changes over time, so I hear what you're saying.

At the same time, in Texas, they are taking Confederate statues and moving them to a museum rather than having them stand open on the campus grounds.

Personally, I can understand why in 2019 some people would have a problem with art works celebrating something offensive to a particular group of people.

Over time, standards change, maybe especially in college environments.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:36 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I agree. if you agree or disagree about Columbus it was a part of American history and should be noted in history.

if people are so offended by this and any other paintings or statues at ND why go there, I guess their not to proud to accept a ND degree.

for all ND fans you better get up to ND while you can and see all the paintings and statues before they are all torn down.
That's funny. The Columbus painting has nothing to do with my degree nor my father's degree.

Please explain how some administrator's decision to errantly depict Columbus has to do with my degree and why I and other Domers should be proud of it?

History is history but attempting to indoctrinate falsehoods by obstructing people rectifying those falsehoods with non-sensical rambling is laughable.

The painting is history.

Last edited by Domer Dude; 01-22-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
That's funny. The Columbus painting has nothing to do with my degree nor my father's degree.

Please explain how some administrator's decision to errantly depict Columbus has to do with my degree and why I and other Domers should be proud of it?

History is history but attempting to indoctrinate falsehoods by obstructing people rectifying those falsehoods with non-sensical rambling is laughable.

The painting is history.
I just think its amusing that they are so offended by the paintings but still had no problem attending the university, I guess the paintings weren't that offensive when it came right down to it.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I just think its amusing that they are so offended by the paintings but still had no problem attending the university, I guess the paintings weren't that offensive when it came right down to it.
Just wait until they want all the religious iconography covered up or tore down because it's too Christian. These are slippery slopes that are being created more and more everyday.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I went to ND and while I was there I never even saw or knew of the paintings. It wasn't until I started going back to campus years later that I saw and learned about them. I don't really care for the paintings at all. I won't ever get bent out of shape about whatever happens to the paintings. To me, those paintings don't really reflect Notre Dame. They may have a lot to do with the Knights of Columbus, but I don't think they have much to do with the University.
As a Catholic, I could become unhappy if more and more the Church in America turns its back on the Knights, but I don't care if paintings of Columbus in the Administration building at Notre Dame are viewable or not.

Maybe they could find a way to move those paintings to the Knights of Columbus Hall on campus at ND rather than display them in the Ad building(?). They've probably already thought of that I suppose, and it probably isn't feasible.