Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 02:19 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Who Exceeded your Expectations

With all the awards coming out I love seeing how many Irish players are underrated or forgotten. On the national level a guy I never hear being talked about is Teívon Coney. He might be the most complete linebacker in the playoffs yet Iíve seen no mention of him for awards or AA honours.

I usually do a surprise player thread every year to see who exceeded everyoneís personal expectations.

Category- Exceeded expectations: Jalen Elliot. This was a guy who I thought was the weak link on a defense a year ago that was fairly good. He didnít make a ton of plays and was generally underwhelming. I thought he might get replaced and there was even talk of Loce moving to safety.

Turns out he is one of the most consistent players on a team that almost never gives up big plays. He tackles well in the open field, made tons of plays on the ball and never stood out for bad reasons. Itís tough to find guys who stand out for bad reasons because this defense is so fundamentally sound and disciplined.

Honorable mention: Mack and him fixing the drops, and he finally showed some athleticism all the recruiting sites were talking about. Gilman would be obvious but I didnít really have any expectations he could exceed.

Category- Failed to meet: Daelin Hayes. I always thought of Kareem and Okwara as the better players but I saw Hayes as a 1B and interchangable. To me there was a noticeable drop off when he entered the game, I think he regressed and Ade progressed.

Honorable mention: Javon McKinley, expected him to breakout and atleast be serviceable and itís year 3 or 4 and I never saw him touch the field.

Extra category: guys you feel are underutilized.

Offence: Finke, the guys catches everything yet he gets so few targets.

Defense: Coleman, easily the third best cover corner and arguably better than love. The freshman arenít ready, utilize your experienced players.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Frankly from Finke to Coleman.....from Boynkin to Tillery

EVERYONE HAS OUTPACED MY EXPECTATIONS.

Color me impressed with the entire squad

aloha
Old 12-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Finke, Book, Okwara, Kareem, Hinish, Bilal, Armstrong, Williams
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Alohi Gilman.

When we got him, I thought it was a waste of a spot.

My bad.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Okwara - I thought he'd be good based on reports from spring and fall camp, but I did not expect him to be the best pure pass rusher on the team and one who developed into a potential early departure for the NFL.

Gilman - It seemed like the staff was always high on him, but media reports made it seem like he was just a guy. He improved the back end of our defense by miles.

Elliot - He couldn't tackle last year or make any plays on the ball - he got benched in the bowl game and I thought he'd lose his starting spot. Really impressed by him this season.

Williams - The talent was always there but he never seemed to fully understand the playbook. He developed into an all around back and became a household name nationally. Without him, ND doesn't go 12-0.

Finke - The media always seemed to be glowing about him based on practice reports, but for whatever reason that never happened when it counted. He became a weapon this season.

Boykin - I was very wrong - I thought he was overrated as a recruit and I thought his performance against LSU would be a one-off game. He really thrived once Book became the starter.

Guys who I expected more from:

Kraemer and Hainsey - Really the OL as a whole.

Kmet - Probably not his fault because he doesn't get enough opportunities, but I thought he'd make some game changing plays.

Bilal - I think he is the weakest link on an otherwise great defense.

Newsome - Just too inconsistent - I thought he would be one of the top punters nationally.

Hayes - I actually think he has had a better season than most give him credit for, but I thought he'd make a lot more plays behind the line of scrimmage than he has.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Okwara - I thought he'd be good based on reports from spring and fall camp, but I did not expect him to be the best pure pass rusher on the team and one who developed into a potential early departure for the NFL.

Gilman - It seemed like the staff was always high on him, but media reports made it seem like he was just a guy. He improved the back end of our defense by miles.

Elliot - He couldn't tackle last year or make any plays on the ball - he got benched in the bowl game and I thought he'd lose his starting spot. Really impressed by him this season.

Williams - The talent was always there but he never seemed to fully understand the playbook. He developed into an all around back and became a household name nationally. Without him, ND doesn't go 12-0.

Finke - The media always seemed to be glowing about him based on practice reports, but for whatever reason that never happened when it counted. He became a weapon this season.

Boykin - I was very wrong - I thought he was overrated as a recruit and I thought his performance against LSU would be a one-off game. He really thrived once Book became the starter.

Guys who I expected more from:

Kraemer and Hainsey - Really the OL as a whole.

Kmet - Probably not his fault because he doesn't get enough opportunities, but I thought he'd make some game changing plays.

Bilal - I think he is the weakest link on an otherwise great defense. Dont disagree, yet he still surpassed my expectations

Newsome - Just too inconsistent - I thought he would be one of the top punters nationally.

Hayes - I actually think he has had a better season than most give him credit for, but I thought he'd make a lot more plays behind the line of scrimmage than he has. I think he had a solid year, just that Julian had a breakout year.
just my 2 cents

Old 12-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Gilman, Finke, Book, Love and Kareem.

All studs.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default The five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Gilman, Finke, Book, Love and Kareem.

All studs.
These are mine also.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:32 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

If I had to pick one, it would be Book. Nobody really knows how a guy will respond to being thee guy, and not just a guy coming off the bench.

We all know the pressures that come with being ND's full-time QB. I had horrible visions of the pick-6 thrown at the worst time to lose a big game, or not being able to keep calm under intense pressure and making game-changing mistakes. Overall, he stepped in and did - obviously - a magnificent job.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:14 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Tyler......
Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Finke....I really like this guys grit....I love to see walk ons succeed. It opens some many doors for potential players out there that might be second guessing their abilities....
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 12-08-2018, 04:16 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgandonor View Post
Finke....I really like this guys grit....I love to see walk ons succeed. It opens some many doors for potential players out there that might be second guessing their abilities....
You know what I found weird was after watching his high school tape I wondered how this guy didnít get any D1 offers? I mean sure he didnít have ND measurables but for a MAC school or something not to offer him they had to be blind or stupid.

He went to a descent school and from what I remember it was a long return touchdown after another long return touchdown then a few reception tds mixed in with more long return touchdowns. Unless he was dead set on walking on and playing for ND, I think tons of schools missed out.

I wasnít watching at the time but Iíve seen videos of that Getherall kid, if that doesnít prove size means nothing in college than I donít know what would.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:27 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
You know what I found weird was after watching his high school tape I wondered how this guy didnít get any D1 offers? I mean sure he didnít have ND measurables but for a MAC school or something not to offer him they had to be blind or stupid.

He went to a descent school and from what I remember it was a long return touchdown after another long return touchdown then a few reception tds mixed in with more long return touchdowns. Unless he was dead set on walking on and playing for ND, I think tons of schools missed out.

I wasnít watching at the time but Iíve seen videos of that Getherall kid, if that doesnít prove size means nothing in college than I donít know what would.
I cannot answer the recruiting question regarding Finke, but we have Malik Zaire to thank for him coming to the attention of the coaching staff when he arrived at Notre Dame.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Book
Boykin
Gilman
Coleman
Old 12-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Guys who exceeded my expectations:

Ian Book, I think he has been much better than anyone thought he would be.

Mack: His play improved noticeably when Book became the starter.

Armstrong: Didnít really have any expectations of him coming into the season, but he has impressed.

Coleman and Elliot in the secondary: These 2 have really stepped up their game.

Clark Lea: I was hoping he could maintain what Elko started, but he has taken that defense and made it better. An argument can be made that losing Elko has turned into a positive for ND.

I was hoping to see something, anything from McKinley this year, so yeah, heís been disappointing.

Under utilized: Cole Kmet, I think he could be a bigger weapon than he has been so far. Perhaps his presence has been the motivating factor in Mackís improved play?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Kelly. He allowed Dexter to be the best running back he has ever had
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Book
Boykin
Gilman
Coleman
Anyone else feel Boykin was under utilized?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Not really because he was blanketed. He opened up things for other people and was a very good blocker

Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
I do. I was looking for 70 catches and a thousand yards from him. I think the other receivers didnít help him get that double coverage off of him at times.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I do. I was looking for 70 catches and a thousand yards from him. I think the other receivers didnít help him get that double coverage off of him at times.
Our entire team is so well balanced that I cannot say people were underutilized. When you have the likes of Boykin, Claypool, Mack, Kmet, Weisher, Wright, etc for large receivers who do rob to pay Miles. Miles made a bunch of highlight real plays this year when his number came. He'll get his chance come draft time. Still has two more chances to show his worth.