Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Whoís the big play guy?

Looking at our last 3 good years we always had a guy who could take it 50+ at any moment.

15- Procise, Adams, Fuller
17- Adams, Dexter, BW
18- Dex...

We have potential candidates to replace Love, Coney, Bars/Mustipher, Maybe Tillery.

I just donít see the guys on the roster. The fast receiver Lenzy I read moved to corner? I donít see any burners who can take it the distance, none of the backs are that fast.

The guy weíve seen stuff from in Young is fast but not breakaway fast, Austin isnít a burner, and i wonder if any of the freshman were so fast why didnít they see any action when that was a weak spot?

Take away all the big runs Dexter had and how many did we have? I also wonder how many games we win if he didnít come back after the 4.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to irishndfan2

I think young will step up. He didnt play much cause of the guys ahead of him... it's tough coming off the bench cold... I think when hes more involved next year hell be able to get in the groove and make more plays...

Man I wish ESB stuck around this year and stepherson didnt screw up... we missed that deep speed threat...
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Looking at our last 3 good years we always had a guy who could take it 50+ at any moment.

17- Adams, Dexter, BW
18- Dex...

We have potential candidates to replace Love, Coney, Bars/Mustipher, Maybe Tillery.

I just donít see the guys on the roster. The fast receiver Lenzy I read moved to corner? I donít see any burners who can take it the distance, none of the backs are that fast.

The guy weíve seen stuff from in Young is fast but not breakaway fast, Austin isnít a burner, and i wonder if any of the freshman were so fast why didnít they see any action when that was a weak spot?

Take away all the big runs Dexter had and how many did we have? I also wonder how many games we win if he didnít come back after the 4.
Lenzy didnt move to corner. So...Lenzy Keys and Young and Austin
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
If they were so fast why couldnít they see the field this year? And the other guys are fast but theyíre not in Will Fullerís class of speed. Iím not sure Austin takes a screen 80, and I know Young isnít taking that screen he took against Wake all that way against a Clemson or Georgia.

Yeah not sure on that Lenzy thing, a poster on this board said that.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishndfan2 View Post
Man I wish ESB stuck around this year and stepherson didnt screw up... we missed that deep speed threat...
And now I'm depressed. Guy was going to be a superstar...
Old 01-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
A beat writer from a premium site reported that the staff is seriously considering moving him to corner. Yes, he is incredibly fast, but he also has terrible hands (according to the same beat writer who talked to the staff).

I am just going off what was reported - I'd imagine he'd get looks at both WR and CB this spring. Hopefully KR as well - I'd prefer him back there instead of Finke and Armstrong.

FWIW, he was first team all state at CB his senior year of HS.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishndfan2 View Post
I think young will step up. He didnt play much cause of the guys ahead of him... it's tough coming off the bench cold... I think when hes more involved next year hell be able to get in the groove and make more plays...

No school has even sniffed Stepherson, YOu would think some renegade program would take him on.

Look for Lawrence Keys III to explode on the scene along with Michael Young and Kevin Austin. All 3 with speed to burn!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
No school has even sniffed Stepherson, YOu would think some renegade program would take him on.

Look for Lawrence Keys III to explode on the scene along with Michael Young and Kevin Austin. All 3 with speed to burn!
I mentioned all the names you listed but I question if they are really speed guys or just considered fast on our team cause we lack speed at receiver.

All guys from a quick google search run 4.6-4.7, thatís a far cry from our previous big play guys who were all around 4.4.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post

He's been in jail a couple of times since he left ND, not sure anyone could actually pursue him.

Keys, Young, Austin, Claypool (if he mentally decides to use to freak athleticism)

Last edited by Big23Head; 01-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:

17- Adams, Dexter, BW
18- Dex...

Armstrong can be a big play guy at RB. As for WR, probably depends who comes out of the bunch of Austin, Lenzy, Young and Keys. All of those guys have break away speed.

If Kyren Williams or KAR see the field as freshman they are other guys that could be in that mold.

Best guesses for next year would be the group of Armstrong, Austin and Young.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
If they were so fast why couldnít they see the field this year? And the other guys are fast but theyíre not in Will Fullerís class of speed. Iím not sure Austin takes a screen 80, and I know Young isnít taking that screen he took against Wake all that way against a Clemson or Georgia.

Speed doesn't always translate to readiness. Could the coaches maybe have done a better job getting a few of those guy at least some snaps? Probably...but they weren't gonna be regulars. Austin definitely has the speed to be a true deep threat.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
If they were so fast why couldn’t they see the field this year? And the other guys are fast but they’re not in Will Fuller’s class of speed. I’m not sure Austin takes a screen 80, and I know Young isn’t taking that screen he took against Wake all that way against a Clemson or Georgia.

Tate and Fuller didnt do much as freshman. Doesnt mean much. They had 3 upper classman above them. Let them develop. Biggest jump is between freshman and sophomore seasons. They weren't early enrollees either I dont believe
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Armstrong can be a big play guy at RB. As for WR, probably depends who comes out of the bunch of Austin, Lenzy, Young and Keys. All of those guys have break away speed.

If Kyren Williams or KAR see the field as freshman they are other guys that could be in that mold.

Best guesses for next year would be the group of Armstrong, Austin and Young.
Armstrong is too small. He would get destroyed by an elite defense. When #11 from Clemson held him with one hand and stripped the ball with the other that was embarrassing. He got knocked around easily against Michigan early in the year also. Heís nowhere close to Dex, Adams, or Procise.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Jafar is a solid 6' 1" and 218 lb.

He is not small.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
Armstrong is too small. He would get destroyed by an elite defense. When #11 from Clemson held him with one hand and stripped the ball with the other that was embarrassing. He got knocked around easily against Michigan early in the year also. Heís nowhere close to Dex, Adams, or Procise.
Armstrong is in no way small, and was a redshirt freshman learning a new position. Also, small has nothing to do with speed. Heís not to their level yet, and will never have the same natural ability as Dexter. However, he should become a very good college back, and was dynamic at times this year as well, especially early prior to his knee infection.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Armstrong is in no way small, and was a redshirt freshman learning a new position. Also, small has nothing to do with speed. Heís not to their level yet, and will never have the same natural ability as Dexter. However, he should become a very good college back, and was dynamic at times this year as well, especially early prior to his knee infection.
Agreed. And the fact he is a receiving threat for screens and HB wheel routes is a huge bonus.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
Jafar is a solid 6' 1" and 218 lb.

He is not small.
Wow, have you actually measured and weighed him yourself?

He plays small if those measurements are accurate.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
He needs to hit the weight room. It was obvious he was a WR playing RB. That works against scrubs, not against elite teams.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
He needs to hit the weight room. It was obvious he was a WR playing RB. That works against scrubs, not against elite teams.
Wow. I never knew you were so knowledgeable. I can't believe I have missed that ALL this time.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

The one thing no one has answered is when our potential big play guys are going to get their 40 time from 4.6-4.7 to 4.4.

Offseason with Balis will be key for next season.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:45 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
The one thing no one has answered is when our potential big play guys are going to get their 40 time from 4.6-4.7 to 4.4.

Offseason with Balis will be key for next season.
Is this a joke? Forty times arenít cut from 4.7 to 4.4 with an offseason workout program.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Is this a joke? Forty times aren’t cut from 4.7 to 4.4 with an offseason workout program.
Well then I’m surprised everyone is so optimistic these guys are going to be homerun threats like our past guys. Hint: they didn’t run 4.6-4.7.

Guys can easily shave a tenth off a 40 in an offseason, especially freshman who haven’t started squatting heavy.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

You donít just acquire 4.4 speed by squatting heavy. That kind of speed is mostly God-given.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
You donít just acquire 4.4 speed by squatting heavy. That kind of speed is mostly God-given.
So youíve made my point.... thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Austin is going to be a stud. However, I think Kmet will have the biggest jump in production.