Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default In 31 years, this is the least excited I have been...

In 31 years of fandom... this is the least excited I have been at seasonís start. Perhaps itís the realization we will never be an Alabama or a Clemson... and maybe thatís a good thing...

Who knows...

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
In 31 years of fandom... this is the least excited I have been at seasonís start. Perhaps itís the realization we will never be an Alabama or a Clemson... and maybe thatís a good thing...

Who knows...
That's strange. We are 22 and 4 in the last two years. We're closer to the elite now than we have been in the last 25 years. We have a very good team returning
Old 08-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
That's strange. We are 22 and 4 in the last two years. We're closer to the elite now than we have been in the last 25 years. We have a very good team returning
Iíll believe it if we can beat Georgia. I would have some hope if we could compete in a BCS game. Whatís our closest game? 34-20 vs OSU? That score is also not indicative of how that game went.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I've been counting down the days since last season - checking various ND websites multiple times a day for any scrap of info on the team. We finally have real football games to watch and talk about - I am absolutely pumped.

I think there just hasn't been a lot of buzz about ND leading up to the season. The team has been pretty much set since the Spring - when the depth chart was released this week, I felt like most people reacted with a shrug. It's not because it's not a potentially great team, but it's because we have known who all of the major players are since the Spring Game. Outside of Kyle Hamilton, I can't think of any great revelations about an unknown player as a result of August camp. We know the guys who will carry this team, and we've known who they are for 8 months.

ND has been consistently a very good team the last two years - 22-4 is pretty remarkable considering the 4-8 record in 2016 and the generally mediocre seasons before that. I think BK has the program in the best place it's been since Holtz - the team has great athletes, recruiting is in a good spot, player development is really good, facilities are starting to catch up to the major CFP contenders... it's a good time to be a Notre Dame fan.

I have noticed that there is a lack of hype about ND this year, whether from the national media, ND beat writers, or ND fans. I think most predict ND to finish 9-3 or 10-2, with pretty much everyone saying that we can't beat Georgia. It says a lot about the state of the program that there isn't a ton of excitement about a potential 10-win team. I would have done anything for consistent 10-win seasons a decade ago. Now, it's expected. This could potentially be 4 out of the last 5 seasons of at least 10 wins. When is the last time that happened? As I said, this program is in the best place it's been in the last 25 years.

Everyone said that ND would go 9-3 last year. Couldn't possibly beat Michigan. Couldn't seriously contend for the CFP. Who would have known that Ian Book would have emerged as a Top 10 QB nationally, or that ND would have it's best defense since 2012. That's the great thing about college football - it is completely unpredictable and you really don't know what you'll get from one week to the next. I am pumped for the season to finally start and see if ND can take that next step and get closer to the Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State and be consistent contenders for the CFP. I am more pumped that there are real football games being played for the next 3 months. Go Irish.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Most people believe ND has no chance at Georgia and 11 - 1 without a conference title game leaves them out of the playoff picture. I think they can get in at 11 - 1 with a close loss but the committee was clear with OSU last year. A blow out loss will make it almost impossible to get in. I do love the fact that so many people are counting ND out because of the 3 big away games. They definitely have the talent to beat UM and Stanford. Can they hang with the Dawgs?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:07 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

I was going to post something to this regard. Since the time Iíve joined Domerdomain, I canít remember this site being so dead leading up to an opening game. Maybe thatís part of the problem. Maybe itís the expectation of 10 wins or the lack of a big opening first game? Maybe not playing on a Saturday has wore off some of its luster. Iím not exactly sure. I guess I would venture out to say that Ian Book being a steady Eddy doesnít help. Nothing to gripe about. His potential looks tapped. And with that Clemson game showing where he had limited potential to take us to the next level, some fans feel that it doesn't matter if we win 10 or not. We arenít beating Clemson or Bama. Itís like going to the prom with the girl who asked you out. Sure sheís pretty but itís not your number 1. Talking about Book, makes me think of the elite playmakers we have compared to these other teams. Sure we have a speedster in Lenzy or power in Austin, but itís not a 5 star talent like Juedy, Ross or Higgins.
That said, we are going to be very good and I for one, am very excited. Sure we have some unknowns in Armstrong, DTís and linebackers. But thatís whatís exciting to me. To see if these youngsters can come in and take us to the next level.

On a side note, Iím predicting us to beat Georgia. Going on record now. Iíll take the underdog role. Because right now, not a single pundit and most of our fans think we are losing that game. Iíve seen us against Georgia and Iíve seen us against Clemson. I think BK and team are slowly figuring it out.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:06 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Rocketsan....I think part of it is just getting older....

Once the season starts the emotional equivalent of muscle memory will kick in and so will the excitement. At least that's what my wife tells me

aloha's
Old 08-31-2019, 01:14 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Save it for your shrink.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Iím always excited for ND football! Canít wait to strap it up
And get it on!

However, I can understand the muted enthusiasm with our record in bus and big bowl games. I donít think anyone thinks we can even be respectable against Georgia. Until we beat someone in the SEC on a big national stage we just wonít earn any respect. I expect a 10-2 season and a decent bowl game. I am still jacked for the season though.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:58 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Save it for your shrink.
What a strange response.

Now to the topic at hand, Iíve felt similarly and I donít think it has anything to do with ND ďnever being able to compete with bama or ClemsonĒ because I think thatís ridiculous. If no one but Clemson or bama fans cared about college football the sport would be over. But I too, have been on the boards a lot less than in past years. I was trying to figure out why, and I genuinely have no idea, because I think this years team may be better than last years even if they lose 2/3 games.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:58 AM
Domer Domain All American

i'm anxious as always especially with a fun pass rush(a sack is great when you're not getting sacked) and new receivers I've been waiting to see how fast Braden Lenzy is for 2 years.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 08-31-2019, 01:18 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
What a strange response.

Now to the topic at hand, I’ve felt similarly and I don’t think it has anything to do with ND “never being able to compete with bama or Clemson” because I think that’s ridiculous. If no one but Clemson or bama fans cared about college football the sport would be over. But I too, have been on the boards a lot less than in past years. I was trying to figure out why, and I genuinely have no idea, because I think this years team may be better than last years even if they lose 2/3 games.
Maybe it’s the same reason as me, I just don’t see the rationale in being so emotionally invested in something I have absolutely no control over.

I was so sure ND would beat Clemson or atleast compete. I was so mad after that game and couldn’t believe I let a football game I had no control over ruin my entire next day or two. Won’t happen to me again.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Youíre just getting older Chiro. More important sh** out there than football, especially with the game continually getting watered down. But, itís still fun to follow nonetheless...
Old 08-31-2019, 04:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Who knows...
FWIW I didn't know when our first game was this year until I just noticed the banner a few minutes ago.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:30 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Oh no I am very excited for the season to start. I believe we are deep with talent and this should be a fun team to watch. Weíve came a long way now letís enjoy!
Old 08-31-2019, 04:49 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Maybe itís the same reason as me, I just donít see the rationale in being so emotionally invested in something I have absolutely no control over.

I was so sure ND would beat Clemson or atleast compete. I was so mad after that game and couldnít believe I let a football game I had no control over ruin my entire next day or two. Wonít happen to me again.
See that is a very rational, adult response. Me? I will most certainly still let ND ruin my fall even though, at this point in time, I'm not particularly excited. Come tomorrow, I'll probably be bitching to my girlfriend that college football should NEVER be played on Mondays, but as of now, meh..
Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

This thread just took the fun out the season. Anyway let's just wait and see.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-01-2019, 03:47 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Some of the reason may be positive....over the last , god knows 10 seasons...we have always had the argument among the positive thinkers vs the negative thinkers. Those threads with some posters seeing the corner turned , the big season coming soon, vs some posters convinced that coach Weis or Kelly was incompetent and would be exposed and fired any moment....those threads are gone , those arguments are over for the time being.....

The good part of that is that we have a consensus , we are a pretty good team , with a pretty good coach and staff , that plays some offense and some defense....we don't expect a losing season and a new coach ...in fact we all get it that there isn't that much out there for us , no Meyer or Saban just waiting to bring us back.

So the vigorous debates about the state of the program have faded and with that unfortunately some of the passion as well.

The difficult part is that we all seem to realize we had our year last season , sure we have a good shot at 10 wins again....that wont surprise any of us.. but we all seem to also realize we are short 6 or 7 five star players on our roster needed to sustain what we did last season and to expect the playoffs regularly.

Its confusing Ö..:- if we lose to Georgia and Michigan go 10 and 2 and lay an egg in our bowl game for 10/3 #16 final rank....that isn't going to help much, its not bad, but still..... If we go 6/6 , which seems unlikely, that would at least punch up the emotions, but nobody needs that.

What we really need is to upset Georgia make another strong run at the playoffs and end the season with a big win.

How will it all play out? That's why we play the games!

I have a hunch this season may surprise us more then we expect.

aloha's
Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

It's a GAME! Can't believe our long time poster from the Nation of always optimistic and happy people brought this negative Karma days before the start of the season??!! Rocket, go to Tim Horton's grab a coffee and a doughnut, buy some Labatt Classic for the game and kick back and relax!
GO IRISH!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I think part of it might be the way the schedule starts out. A now ho hum Monday night game, then a bye, then two boring games before we hit our first exciting game.

I'm always super excited for the start of the season, but I was ready Saturday and I am pissed that I made plans to do something next Saturday other than watch ND...
Old 09-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Iím excited for the season.
Not excited to be starting on a Monday night.
For once I have confidence that ND will be the teams it is supposed to beat. Havenít felt that way until last year.
The great unknown is whether they will beat a team when ND is the underdog.
When they can do that, either on the road or on a neutral field, I think enthusiasm will skyRocket across the Board.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:14 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Who knows...
We are pre-season top 10 and you start whining this year?

Enjoy it while it lasts. College football will become like the NFL in the next ten years. I do not know what the hell I am going to look forward to then.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Iím excited for the season.
Not excited to be starting on a Monday night.
For once I have confidence that ND will be the teams it is supposed to beat. Havenít felt that way until last year.
The great unknown is whether they will beat a team when ND is the underdog.
When they can do that, either on the road or on a neutral field, I think enthusiasm will skyRocket across the Board.
I take it back.
The BK doubts have resurfaced.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I take it back.
The BK doubts have resurfaced.
Lol agree shivering with flashbacks over here. Maybe halftime adjustments will be made and we'll win 42-21 but I'm not so sure
Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Closer, but still a long ways away. Sad thing is, ND could care less. They're happy being 2nd tier.