Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Domer Domain All American

Default Improved Versatility

I felt like our offense was effective but static last year.

Meaning mostly we were going to line up, give it to Josh Adams and pound you.

All systems new were all systems basic

No surprise, once it came to November the book was out.

Yes we lose a lot of that firm foundation, but what comes in its place is the ability to change plans and be versatile.

The other team is going too feel it to. They have no film that will show them a Jafar Armstrong or how we're going to feature different players. Players make plays.

I'm really looking forward to this because I think we have a lot of good players that needed an opportunity like this season provides.

Your Thoughts?

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

The offense has been, in my opinion, stagnant and without imagination for a few years.
Without imagination there will be no versatility.
Without talent, there will be no ability to execute versatility.
ND has talent; they have players who can make plays.
They just need play callers who call the right plays.
...and a QB who can complete a 5 yard touch pass...
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Maybe he'll find it this year, but has Brian Kelly ever had a balanced offense that had a top running and passing game at ND? I'm talking about keeping defenses off balance and being consistent moving the chains from game to game and making the key 3rd down play or red zone when you need it. He's always had a lot of 3rd and long situations, which is not the path towards consistency.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Maybe he'll find it this year, but has Brian Kelly ever had a balanced offense that had a top running and passing game at ND? I'm talking about keeping defenses off balance and being consistent moving the chains from game to game and making the key 3rd down play or red zone when you need it. He's always had a lot of 3rd and long situations, which is not the path towards consistency.
Short answer not really. His best years record wise come when he has his best defenses. The year with Kizer and Fuller was probably the closest but that year we had a BVG defense that gave up a lot of what we scored.

I'm excited because I think we have enough defense to let the offense take a step back and be a bit harder for an opponent to prepare for. There is no star, but I think a lot of these pieces fit together real well.

Jones gives you the power runner that Adams became.
Claypool/ Boykin give you size
Jafar gives you a 3rd down back.
Keys/Lenzy give you speed
Davis gives you cutbacks

Up front I concede the losses but I think we'll like Eichenberg

If the defense can let that group get its footing we could really hit a stride by mid season. But I just hope Michigan as the first test isn't to early.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I'm very high on Jafar Armstrong. Big, fast, elusive, athletic and extremely hard working. Hoping to see the quick pitch like we did to Procise. that play worked over 90% of the time.

One problem that really perturbed me was how Winbush failed to keep the ball on the read option in the latter games such as Stanford. It was wide open for him, just like it was against Boston College.

Really going to be excited to see the defense this year. Looking for more turnovers, and 3 and outs.

Offensive line is going to be a big time strength once again.

I don't like starting against Michigan, but if we are going to play them the first game might be the best time. They aren't proven in their offensive thinking. Very good quarterback for them, but he may be under a ton of pressure on opening night under the lights.

If we win this game this should be a great year.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaIrish View Post
I'm very high on Jafar Armstrong. Big, fast, elusive, athletic and extremely hard working. Hoping to see the quick pitch like we did to Procise. that play worked over 90% of the time.

One problem that really perturbed me was how Winbush failed to keep the ball on the read option in the latter games such as Stanford. It was wide open for him, just like it was against Boston College.

Really going to be excited to see the defense this year. Looking for more turnovers, and 3 and outs.

I don't like starting against Michigan, but if we are going to play them the first game might be the best time. They aren't proven in their offensive thinking. Very good quarterback for them, but he may be under a ton of pressure on opening night under the lights.

Really like this team. Think its versatile with a good defense. Like you my only concern is having Michigan this early

Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I'

I thought both Wimbush and Adams looked tired by the end of the year. There was an interesting article today in the South Bend Tribune about Ballis in year 2 of his S&C program. Hopefully, the gains made between '16-'17 will increase in '18 and the team will be even better conditioned and resilient.

As for Michigan, they have to very fast wide outs, but all the UM/Harbaugh coached games I've watched they've looked like his Stanford teams which ran the ball a lot and moved the chains with short passes to tight ends.

Last edited by Frankus; 08-19-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

Agree, Okie. Think Armstrong is going to emerge into a stud back.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

I remember in the past with Golson ND wasn't actually running many true read options. It looked like one, but in reality the it was called whether or not the QB would pull the ball or hand it to the RB, which is why it looks like the QB is missing the read all the time. I'm not sure how true that is, but I remember it being a talking point in the past.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Wimbush was hurt in the Wake Forest game on that run to the goalline. I know he didn't miss any time but that shot effected how much he was keeping the ball.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
I remember in the past with Golson ND wasn't actually running many true read options. It looked like one, but in reality the it was called whether or not the QB would pull the ball or hand it to the RB, which is why it looks like the QB is missing the read all the time. I'm not sure how true that is, but I remember it being a talking point in the past.
True, Golson didn't do much reading, but Wimbush does. Like Faith said he was playing hurt. I see the big difference this year is that Kelly is not afraid to run him as he has more then adequate back ups. this is one major reason I expect to have a great season. We can withstand some injuries and keep on truckin.