Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 01-19-2020, 07:31 PM
Domer Domain All American

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-24-2020, 11:26 PM

Old 01-25-2020, 12:23 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Full court press on Cameron Martinez now that it is unlikely Bartleson will be accepted?

Hopefully it is overblown and not true. What a terrible waste of an opportunity for him if the allegations are true.

Last edited by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN; 01-25-2020 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:29 PM

Today is NSD but ND is done for the year. Moving ahead to 2021. I'll be watching the final rankings. ND has a smaller class but it is quality. Definitely on the right trend, they need to land a 2-3 more guys per class to hit the next level.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:55 PM

Last edited by Big23Head; 02-05-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I did not listen to the recruiting pod cast with Kelly and Polian.

My question is why they are telling folks how they recruit? One would think that you would keep as much information as possible confidential.

For example, here are some of the things that have come out in the last year or so:

1) ND ignoring Florida and focusing on Georgia instead
2) Waiting to make offers until they can time a forty yard dash time themselves
3) Recruiting taller WRs instead of shorter CBs to play CB in college

Is there any reason to detail your recruiting strategy/"secrets" to the world?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

My question is why they are telling folks how they recruit? One would think that you would keep as much information as possible confidential.

For example, here are some of the things that have come out in the last year or so:

There are no secrets in this regard. Everybody in college football knows what the other guy is doing. Everyone talks. Everyone shares info. The only thing that matters is whether you're better at it than the other guy. Football is a much more open book than you would believe. It's actually kind of nice in that regard.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:

If you actually listen to it, youíll see itís nothing like you think it is. Way more broad. They arenít out there hashing out ND secrets to the public.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
If you actually listen to it, youíll see itís nothing like you think it is. Way more broad. They arenít out there hashing out ND secrets to the public.
It wasn't just the podcast I was referring to. There have been various pieces of information regarding both recruiting and S&C that have been communicated publically which I think would be better left private to try to retain a competitive advantage.

Even the talk about being able to recruit Top 5 if they had a private jet falls into this area.

Just go get the jet but do not give interviews about it. No reason to have another school get the notion that they also need a private jet, cancelling out some of the advantage.

Kelly talks about how ND has been out in front from a nutritional perspective so that other schools have poached four members of their nutritional staff.

If you do not give interviews about it, then maybe other schools do not start nosing around to see what they can learn from ND and who they can hire away.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
It wasn't just the podcast I was referring to. There have been various pieces of information regarding both recruiting and S&C that have been communicated publically which I think would be better left private to try to retain a competitive advantage.

Even the talk about being able to recruit Top 5 if they had a private jet falls into this area.

Just go get the jet but do not give interviews about it. No reason to have another school get the notion that they also need a private jet, cancelling out some of the advantage.

Kelly talks about how ND has been out in front from a nutritional perspective so that other schools have poached four members of their nutritional staff.

If you do not give interviews about it, then maybe other schools do not start nosing around to see what they can learn from ND and who they can hire away.
Itís a matter of philosophy.
If you are out there giving talks and details about what you are doing and what your research shows you are viewed as an authority. People always want to be around innovators. While you are giving away ďtrade secretsĒ and possibly having people get poached, the specific community you are reaching views you as the Ďgo-toí source. Prestige, more people wanting to come work for you and do research for you, even potentially at lower dollar amounts.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

If you're a subscriber to The Athletic, Pete Sampson had a good article related to this over the summer.

https://theathletic.com/1078039/2019...eting-playoff/

Basically, Notre Dame and Clemson sat down at Notre Dame last March and shared ideas regarding recruiting evaluations, travel and logistics, summer camps, early enrollees, and transfers. It sounds like the meeting was between Dave Peloquin (Director of Player Personnel), Aaryn Kearney (Coordinator of recruiting Operations), and Ron Powlus (Associate AD) and their "Clemson counterparts."

Interesting and surprising read - I figured all of these schools worked in secrecy about everything, but it sounds like ND and Clemson shared quite a bit of info during the visit.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Iíve been privy to some of these things and have friends who are involved. Itís refreshing to see how collegial these guys typically are. Now, I wonder how much of that contributes to some of the inbreeding that recycles failed coaches, at times. How many times do you see failed coaches get hired again and fail yet again...? It always baffles me.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
If you're a subscriber to The Athletic, Pete Sampson had a good article related to this over the summer.

https://theathletic.com/1078039/2019...eting-playoff/

Basically, Notre Dame and Clemson sat down at Notre Dame last March and shared ideas regarding recruiting evaluations, travel and logistics, summer camps, early enrollees, and transfers. It sounds like the meeting was between Dave Peloquin (Director of Player Personnel), Aaryn Kearney (Coordinator of recruiting Operations), and Ron Powlus (Associate AD) and their "Clemson counterparts."

Interesting and surprising read - I figured all of these schools worked in secrecy about everything, but it sounds like ND and Clemson shared quite a bit of info during the visit.
I never really understood why you would sit down with your competition and tell them how you recruit players, just seems strange to me.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I never really understood why you would sit down with your competition and tell them how you recruit players, just seems strange to me.
Very surprising to read. But hey, if Clemson wants to share some of their recruiting secrets with ND, then I'm all for it.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:56 PM

I think there is a lot a chatter behind the scenes and sharing of info. It is hard not to do with social media and the ease of communication these days. Other schools openly talk about these things too. I also think part of NDs thought process is a very straight forward and up front approach.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:05 PM

FWIW, my final thoughts on the 2020 class. This is an excellent class and very close to where ND needs to be but now the class size must be 22-24 with excellence. ND needs to land at least one top guy at each position group. Losing Bartleson hurts from a numbers perspective, so hopefully he isn't the one 3 star DB that would have excelled on the field.

The average player rating for this class is .9140 after removing LS Alex Peitsch. That is perfect and right where ND needs to be for a year in year out top 8, playoff seeking team. Now they just need to do it with 22-24 players in the class. I think Pryor and Skowronek were excellent additions to this class. Pryor gives you a veteran that played against high level competition. I think NDs scheme will fit him better and I trust Clark Lea. Skowronek produced with ok QB play at NW and not a ton of other weapons around him. He should absolutely be able to help ND this year.

Last edited by Big23Head; 02-08-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
FWIW, my final thoughts on the 2020 class. This is an excellent class and very close to where ND needs to be but now the class size must be 22-24 with excellence. ND needs to land at least one top guy at each position group. Losing Bartleson hurts from a numbers perspective, so hopefully he isn't the one 3 star DB that would have excelled on the field.

The average player rating for this class is .9140 after removing LS Alex Peitsch. That is perfect and right where ND needs to be for a year in year out top 8, playoff seeking team. Now they just need to do it with 22-24 players in the class. I think Prior and Skowronek were excellent additions to this class. Pryor gives you a veteran that played against high level competition. I think NDs scheme will fit him better and I trust Clark Lea. Skowronek produced with ok QB play at NW and not a ton of other weapons around him. He should absolutely be able to help ND this year.
Well said Big, and hard to disagree with your thoughts. Kelly's classes average at almost exactly 22 recruits per class with a few outliers. Outside of that, pretty much everything class has been 21-24 kids. If he can continue what he did this year, but like you said continue his average, things will continue to point up.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:15 PM

Potentially adding another grad transfer to this class

Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Any more on the scoop? CB hopefully?
Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
Any more on the scoop? CB hopefully?
Former Stanford RB Trevor Speights
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Does this say anything about our current RB situation?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Former Stanford RB Trevor Speights
Did Trevor play in 2019? Was he injured?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain 19 View Post
Does this say anything about our current RB situation?
There is some buzz that one of the current RBs may be injured. Also, discussion that Armstrong may be more of a WR role this year.

Quote:
Did Trevor play in 2019? Was he injured?
Did not play in 2019, believed to be an injury and have 2 years left to play.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 AM

don't get to excited over the 40 who knows though,, he did out run some angles.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 02-18-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:10 PM