Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves
Default Nix Will Be Back

Saw a write up recapping ND's awards show. Had a quote basically saying that this year was the beginning for him, and that he's going to try and follow Manti's lead in getting a handful of awards nationally next year.

Just figured I'd pass that along for those of us who were nervous looking ahead. We've got another year with Big Lou.

We are ND.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HXTNDFYxWps

Here's the video.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

He had said a few weeks back that one of his goals was to be an All-American as well.

Other than the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi, are there any other awards a DT would win?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
He had said a few weeks back that one of his goals was to be an All-American as well.

Other than the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi, are there any other awards a DT would win?
Heisman....?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Domer Domain All American

Wow. This is awesome to hear. His return is the difference between a top 3 team next year v. top 10. His position is that important, and he's that good. Big Lou better be back next year.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Nix may be a mountain of a man physically, but he is still a little kid in many ways, i really felt he was not the type, not ready to leave so early ----happy but not surprised--

aloha's
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

You are all speaking way tooo soon. Nix is filing paperwork with the NFL!!! Does not mean he is leaving, but atleast taking a look. This would be HUGE loss for ND.

If Lou leaves, I will be bummed, yet understand his decision. He has to do what is best for him and his family. Especially, a mom that is trying to raise a large family on her own.

My biggest concern is that Kelly and crew have neglected the DL postion in this cycle. They have ONE true DL committed and one guy they will try to convert. That attempt has failed twice now. We tried with Heggie and other OL from Ohio who is now on medical redshirt.

Kelly has spent too many scholarships on DB's. Go look at how many DL teams like Alabama have on the team. We will be woefully thin next year. Kelly better get out there and find a couple guys this recruiting cycle. If Vanderdooes is not a lock, get someone else.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM

He is filing paperwork for the NFL draft (to get his grade). Pete Sampson feels he'll be back talking to a few people closer to the situation. Hopefully so. If he gets a 1st round grade (certainly possible), he'll have to at least considering leaving. He just seems like a super happy kid who loves college and ND. Think he'll be back.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Yes, this upcoming draft is seriously deep on the DL, specifically DT. Agree he will be back.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Eric Hansen said he would be shocked if lou left--his mother really wants him to graduate first--and she has alot of say so in the nix family--

aloha's
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesman View Post
You are all speaking way tooo soon. Nix is filing paperwork with the NFL!!! Does not mean he is leaving, but atleast taking a look. This would be HUGE loss for ND.

If Lou leaves, I will be bummed, yet understand his decision. He has to do what is best for him and his family. Especially, a mom that is trying to raise a large family on her own.

My biggest concern is that Kelly and crew have neglected the DL postion in this cycle. They have ONE true DL committed and one guy they will try to convert. That attempt has failed twice now. We tried with Heggie and other OL from Ohio who is now on medical redshirt.

Kelly has spent too many scholarships on DB's. Go look at how many DL teams like Alabama have on the team. We will be woefully thin next year. Kelly better get out there and find a couple guys this recruiting cycle. If Vanderdooes is not a lock, get someone else.
ND has 13 players listed as DL. Alabama has 17. I don't know how many are non-scholarship at Alabama, but the numbers aren't that different.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesman View Post

People were saying the complete opposite last year -- that Kelly had spent too much time focusing on the DL and that he needed to get more scholarship DBs on the roster.

"Woefully" thin? We lose Kap. That's it. Kona, Springman, Day, Jones, Okwara...all guys that can step in. We also have a TON of flexibility along the DL with guys like that.

Hasn't this staff done enough to earn our trust recruiting wise?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenboyer View Post
People were saying the complete opposite last year -- that Kelly had spent too much time focusing on the DL and that he needed to get more scholarship DBs on the roster.

"Woefully" thin? We lose Kap. That's it. Kona, Springman, Day, Jones, Okwara...all guys that can step in. We also have a TON of flexibility along the DL with guys like that.

Next year it will be the linebackers...
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:

Wherever we have had a shortage Kelly goes after it with over kill. After this year's haul of linebackers, defensive backs and offensive linemen, there is not a gaping hole anywhere to be seen.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
If he gets a 1st round grade (certainly possible),
Not a chance he's first round this year...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

All true but we have not recruited anyone like Nix to replace Nix. However, it seems that the staff is all about flexibility/versatility along the Dline. I however would love a big NT type like Nix. But to each his own. The staff has earned my trust certainly for now!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Not a chance he's first round this year...
There is def a chance. Come on. The League loves Dlinemen! Though I will concede the depth this year at Dline is impressive...

Btw, FWIW, Kiper claimed in a chat that Theo could be drafted in the 3rd round. Don't see it myself but interesting info regardless...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

With big Lou back next year, we are looking like another Championship contender, he is a huge part of the puzzle.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish42 View Post
There is def a chance. Come on. The League loves Dlinemen! Though I will concede the depth this year at Dline is impressive...

Btw, FWIW, Kiper claimed in a chat that Theo could be drafted in the 3rd round. Don't see it myself but interesting info regardless...
As much as I love Lou, there is no chance he gets a first round grade. Next year? Absolutely...
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
As much as I love Lou, there is no chance he gets a first round grade. Next year? Absolutely...
He is a true 3-4 nt with great size and ability......which is fairly uncommon straight outta college and is becoming more and more desirable for the NFL....there is definitely a good chance he gets a first round grade
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGuy View Post
He is a true 3-4 nt with great size and ability......which is fairly uncommon straight outta college and is becoming more and more desirable for the NFL....there is definitely a good chance he gets a first round grade
I read everything and I have seen nothing that puts him anywhere near the first. I know you guys love him but... Next year he will be.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I read everything and I have seen nothing that puts him anywhere near the first. I know you guys love him but... Next year he will be.
Aren't you the one who said no chance Harrison Smith goes in the first something rounds?

C'mon ... You had to know that was coming!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Actually, if Nix does his job against Bama's All-American OLine, I believe he will be a 1st rd pick. If, on the other hand, he gets handled ... No way he goes in the 1st couple of rounds.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaIrishFanChuck View Post
Aren't you the one who said no chance Harrison Smith goes in the first something rounds?

C'mon ... You had to know that was coming!
He's not saying that Nix isn't necessarily a 1st round talent.... but there are a lot of guys out there at NT who could keep him out of the first round this year...

Thanks Rocketsan22
Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

If the guy gets a first round grade, he should go. No reason to stay and risk all that money. We'll be ok.