Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,847
Default Name to Keep an Eye On - Menís Hoops

William Jeffress, currently a 2021 recruit - ranked top 50 in the country. Looks to be reclassifying to the 2020 class. Very talented basketball player and maybe more talented in the classroom.

Will take officials after the season. Notre Dame, Pitt, Stanford and Baylor look to be the biggest players. Would be a huge recruiting win if Brey and co can pull it off. Best part, he will graduate at age 17.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
William Jeffress, currently a 2021 recruit - ranked top 50 in the country. Looks to be reclassifying to the 2020 class. Very talented basketball player and maybe more talented in the classroom.

Will take officials after the season. Notre Dame, Pitt, Stanford and Baylor look to be the biggest players. Would be a huge recruiting win if Brey and co can pull it off. Best part, he will graduate at age 17.

Eh... Sure it would be nice and exactly the type of player they need, but Brey doesn’t win these kind of recruiting battles. I’m not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Eh... Sure it would be nice and exactly the type of player they need, but Brey doesnít win these kind of recruiting battles. Iím not holding my breath.
I mean he has won very similar profiles in the past. This isn't a one and done type of kid. I am not even sure how heavily they are pursuing, as it is still kinda early for him. Just like there have been whiffs the past two cycles, Brey has also had a lot of hits of this caliber.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2020, 11:19 PM
cavic cavic is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 116
Default

Name to keep an eye on - JOHN BEILEIN.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 AM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
I mean he has won very similar profiles in the past. This isn't a one and done type of kid. I am not even sure how heavily they are pursuing, as it is still kinda early for him. Just like there have been whiffs the past two cycles, Brey has also had a lot of hits of this caliber.


Brey has only brought in 3 top 50 kids in his 21 years of recruiting. One was in his backyard and the other two transferred. He has also only brought in 16 top 100 players.

The only players similar in style of game and talent to Jeffress that Brey has brought in are Bieschied and Harvey and neither one stayed.

I'm not totally bashing Brey's recruiting. He has done a good job finding below the radar guys and making them very good players in his system, but when it comes to guys the caliber of Jeffress, he doesn't land them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 AM
D Fence's Avatar
D Fence D Fence is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
Name to keep an eye on - JOHN BEILEIN.
Agree with those facts...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Synoptico Synoptico is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
Name to keep an eye on - JOHN BEILEIN.
I just cant see that happening.
__________________
Please consider supporting Make A Wish and my fundraising goal.
http://site.wish.org/site/TR/Friends...pwtf1qqgjf0nn1

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2020, 07:24 PM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Brey has only brought in 3 top 50 kids in his 21 years of recruiting. One was in his backyard and the other two transferred. He has also only brought in 16 top 100 players.

The only players similar in style of game and talent to Jeffress that Brey has brought in are Bieschied and Harvey and neither one stayed.

I'm not totally bashing Brey's recruiting. He has done a good job finding below the radar guys and making them very good players in his system, but when it comes to guys the caliber of Jeffress, he doesn't land them.
Agree to disagree a little bit here. He traditionally lands at least 1 top 100 guy per cycle. For me, it just semantics when it's a top 50 vs. top 100 or whatever metric you want to have it be. You also don't find many guys like Jeffress with the basketball/academic profile as strong as his. Does that mean ND lands him? Absolutely not. It might even be harder to land him with him reclassifying. Less time to build a relationship. Plus, to be fair to his ranking, 247 sports has not updated his profile to 2020 yet while Rivals has. He is number 75 in the Rivals top 100 for the 2020 class.


Going back to back to 2003, these are guys that are right around that top 100 or better. A few of the guys that were a tad over were still heavily recruited players. My main point here is a profile fit is a profile fit. I don't care if the guy is ranked 50 or 120 cuz in reality I don't see a huge difference - especially in Brey's system. My biggest thing is I don't believe all of these guys he brings in are really that below the radar. Top 150 HS basketball recruits are still very good and highly recruited. He doesn't do a good job at landing the one and dones, that is essentially it.

2003: Falls
2004: Kurz
2005: Zeller, Ayers, McAlarney
2006: Harangody, Jackson
2010: Grant, Atkins
2011: Connaughton
2012: Biedscheid, Auguste
2013: Jackson, Beachem, Vasturia
2014: Geben, Colson
2015: Ryan, Pflueger
2016: Gibbs, Mooney
2017: Harvey
2018: Laszewski, Carmody, Hubb, Goodwin, Ryan (if you want to count him now)

I do think we are closer to agreeing than are discussion portrays though.


FWIW, ND had an assistant coach in to see him last night

Last edited by LasVegasIrish; 02-19-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Agree to disagree a little bit here. He traditionally lands at least 1 top 100 guy per cycle. For me, it just semantics when it's a top 50 vs. top 100 or whatever metric you want to have it be. You also don't find many guys like Jeffress with the basketball/academic profile as strong as his. Does that mean ND lands him? Absolutely not. It might even be harder to land him with him reclassifying. Less time to build a relationship. Plus, to be fair to his ranking, 247 sports has not updated his profile to 2020 yet while Rivals has. He is number 75 in the Rivals top 100 for the 2020 class.


Going back to back to 2003, these are guys that are right around that top 100 or better. A few of the guys that were a tad over were still heavily recruited players. My main point here is a profile fit is a profile fit. I don't care if the guy is ranked 50 or 120 cuz in reality I don't see a huge difference - especially in Brey's system. My biggest thing is I don't believe all of these guys he brings in are really that below the radar. Top 150 HS basketball recruits are still very good and highly recruited. He doesn't do a good job at landing the one and dones, that is essentially it.

2003: Falls
2004: Kurz
2005: Zeller, Ayers, McAlarney
2006: Harangody, Jackson
2010: Grant, Atkins
2011: Connaughton
2012: Biedscheid, Auguste
2013: Jackson, Beachem, Vasturia
2014: Geben, Colson
2015: Ryan, Pflueger
2016: Gibbs, Mooney
2017: Harvey
2018: Laszewski, Carmody, Hubb, Goodwin, Ryan (if you want to count him now)

I do think we are closer to agreeing than are discussion portrays though.


FWIW, ND had an assistant coach in to see him last night


Lol. We will agree to disagree about Jeffress. Part of his profile is that he is a very athletic highly rated 6 -6 wing player that can slash to the basket and has a great mid range game. Harvey and Biedshied fit that profile coming out of high school. Nobody else on that list fits that profile. So, no Brey does not land this type of player often.

You are right though Brey has a clear profile (which he needs to do some tweeking to IMO) that he wants and goes after, and in many cases for Brey's profile it doesn't matter if they are 120 or 50. I will give you he hits a top 150 player just about every year., But, lets be real there can be a huge difference between a player ranked 43 and a player ranked 82 and a player ranked 130.

He has hit on a good amount of Lower profile and under the radar guys. Cooley, Nash, Hillesland, Abromaitis, Farrell, and Carter

Can Brey develop the talent he gets and have good to decent teams? Yes. Does he need to pull in a more talented and better athletes to have better teams? Absolutely!

Last edited by Domers23; 02-19-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 AM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Lol. We will agree to disagree about Jeffress. Part of his profile is that he is a very athletic highly rated 6 -6 wing player that can slash to the basket and has a great mid range game. Harvey and Biedshied fit that profile coming out of high school. Nobody else on that list fits that profile. So, no Brey does not land this type of player often.

You are right though Brey has a clear profile (which he needs to do some tweeking to IMO) that he wants and goes after, and in many cases for Brey's profile it doesn't matter if they are 120 or 50. I will give you he hits a top 150 player just about every year., But, lets be real there can be a huge difference between a player ranked 43 and a player ranked 82 and a player ranked 130.

He has hit on a good amount of Lower profile and under the radar guys. Cooley, Nash, Hillesland, Abromaitis, Farrell, and Carter

Can Brey develop the talent he gets and have good to decent teams? Yes. Does he need to pull in a more talented and better athletes to have better teams? Absolutely!
Considering he has to play a tough ACC schedule every year, Brey has done a decent job considering the talent level. ND will never be a 1-and-done school but even Puke has adopted it and sullied their academic reputation under the "great" Coach K.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2020, 01:56 AM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Considering he has to play a tough ACC schedule every year, Brey has done a decent job considering the talent level. ND will never be a 1-and-done school but even Puke has adopted it and sullied their academic reputation under the "great" Coach K.
Haha. I never said I wanted ND to be a one and done school. I don't want that, but they can put together programs similar to Virginia and Villinova. Brey is a decent coach, but he can do better.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2020, 02:38 AM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Lol. We will agree to disagree about Jeffress. Part of his profile is that he is a very athletic highly rated 6 -6 wing player that can slash to the basket and has a great mid range game. Harvey and Biedshied fit that profile coming out of high school. Nobody else on that list fits that profile. So, no Brey does not land this type of player often.

You are right though Brey has a clear profile (which he needs to do some tweeking to IMO) that he wants and goes after, and in many cases for Brey's profile it doesn't matter if they are 120 or 50. I will give you he hits a top 150 player just about every year., But, lets be real there can be a huge difference between a player ranked 43 and a player ranked 82 and a player ranked 130.

He has hit on a good amount of Lower profile and under the radar guys. Cooley, Nash, Hillesland, Abromaitis, Farrell, and Carter

Can Brey develop the talent he gets and have good to decent teams? Yes. Does he need to pull in a more talented and better athletes to have better teams? Absolutely!
But a profile also includes who is recruiting the kid. Does ND do well when they are battling the likes of UNC, Duke etc? No. This kid is considering in state schools Pitt and Penn State, Stanford, Baylor and Notre Dame. I think thatís an important anecdote.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
Agree with those facts...
What facts? Heís a great college coach, but thereís nothing to indicate he has any interest in coming to ND.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:16 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Haha. I never said I wanted ND to be a one and done school. I don't want that, but they can put together programs similar to Virginia and Villinova. Brey is a decent coach, but he can do better.
They might not be able to put together the consistency of either of those two programs, but they should have a better overall record than they do the past 3 years. Ever since Bonzie Colson got hurt and was lost for the yr in 2017/2018 itís been all downhill.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM
LasVegasIrish's Avatar
LasVegasIrish LasVegasIrish is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 5,847
Default

Released a top 10:

Baylor, Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Virginia, Notre Dame, Villanova
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Last Updated: May 26, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.