Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Other ND Sports

Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Name to Keep an Eye On - Menís Hoops

William Jeffress, currently a 2021 recruit - ranked top 50 in the country. Looks to be reclassifying to the 2020 class. Very talented basketball player and maybe more talented in the classroom.

Will take officials after the season. Notre Dame, Pitt, Stanford and Baylor look to be the biggest players. Would be a huge recruiting win if Brey and co can pull it off. Best part, he will graduate at age 17.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
William Jeffress, currently a 2021 recruit - ranked top 50 in the country. Looks to be reclassifying to the 2020 class. Very talented basketball player and maybe more talented in the classroom.

Will take officials after the season. Notre Dame, Pitt, Stanford and Baylor look to be the biggest players. Would be a huge recruiting win if Brey and co can pull it off. Best part, he will graduate at age 17.

Eh... Sure it would be nice and exactly the type of player they need, but Brey doesn’t win these kind of recruiting battles. I’m not holding my breath.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Eh... Sure it would be nice and exactly the type of player they need, but Brey doesnít win these kind of recruiting battles. Iím not holding my breath.
I mean he has won very similar profiles in the past. This isn't a one and done type of kid. I am not even sure how heavily they are pursuing, as it is still kinda early for him. Just like there have been whiffs the past two cycles, Brey has also had a lot of hits of this caliber.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:19 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Name to keep an eye on - JOHN BEILEIN.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
I mean he has won very similar profiles in the past. This isn't a one and done type of kid. I am not even sure how heavily they are pursuing, as it is still kinda early for him. Just like there have been whiffs the past two cycles, Brey has also had a lot of hits of this caliber.

Brey has only brought in 3 top 50 kids in his 21 years of recruiting. One was in his backyard and the other two transferred. He has also only brought in 16 top 100 players.

The only players similar in style of game and talent to Jeffress that Brey has brought in are Bieschied and Harvey and neither one stayed.

I'm not totally bashing Brey's recruiting. He has done a good job finding below the radar guys and making them very good players in his system, but when it comes to guys the caliber of Jeffress, he doesn't land them.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
Agree with those facts...
Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
I just cant see that happening.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Brey has only brought in 3 top 50 kids in his 21 years of recruiting. One was in his backyard and the other two transferred. He has also only brought in 16 top 100 players.

The only players similar in style of game and talent to Jeffress that Brey has brought in are Bieschied and Harvey and neither one stayed.

I'm not totally bashing Brey's recruiting. He has done a good job finding below the radar guys and making them very good players in his system, but when it comes to guys the caliber of Jeffress, he doesn't land them.
Agree to disagree a little bit here. He traditionally lands at least 1 top 100 guy per cycle. For me, it just semantics when it's a top 50 vs. top 100 or whatever metric you want to have it be. You also don't find many guys like Jeffress with the basketball/academic profile as strong as his. Does that mean ND lands him? Absolutely not. It might even be harder to land him with him reclassifying. Less time to build a relationship. Plus, to be fair to his ranking, 247 sports has not updated his profile to 2020 yet while Rivals has. He is number 75 in the Rivals top 100 for the 2020 class.

Going back to back to 2003, these are guys that are right around that top 100 or better. A few of the guys that were a tad over were still heavily recruited players. My main point here is a profile fit is a profile fit. I don't care if the guy is ranked 50 or 120 cuz in reality I don't see a huge difference - especially in Brey's system. My biggest thing is I don't believe all of these guys he brings in are really that below the radar. Top 150 HS basketball recruits are still very good and highly recruited. He doesn't do a good job at landing the one and dones, that is essentially it.

2003: Falls
2004: Kurz
2005: Zeller, Ayers, McAlarney
2006: Harangody, Jackson
2010: Grant, Atkins
2011: Connaughton
2012: Biedscheid, Auguste
2013: Jackson, Beachem, Vasturia
2014: Geben, Colson
2015: Ryan, Pflueger
2016: Gibbs, Mooney
2017: Harvey
2018: Laszewski, Carmody, Hubb, Goodwin, Ryan (if you want to count him now)

I do think we are closer to agreeing than are discussion portrays though.

FWIW, ND had an assistant coach in to see him last night

Last edited by LasVegasIrish; 02-19-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Agree to disagree a little bit here. He traditionally lands at least 1 top 100 guy per cycle. For me, it just semantics when it's a top 50 vs. top 100 or whatever metric you want to have it be. You also don't find many guys like Jeffress with the basketball/academic profile as strong as his. Does that mean ND lands him? Absolutely not. It might even be harder to land him with him reclassifying. Less time to build a relationship. Plus, to be fair to his ranking, 247 sports has not updated his profile to 2020 yet while Rivals has. He is number 75 in the Rivals top 100 for the 2020 class.

Going back to back to 2003, these are guys that are right around that top 100 or better. A few of the guys that were a tad over were still heavily recruited players. My main point here is a profile fit is a profile fit. I don't care if the guy is ranked 50 or 120 cuz in reality I don't see a huge difference - especially in Brey's system. My biggest thing is I don't believe all of these guys he brings in are really that below the radar. Top 150 HS basketball recruits are still very good and highly recruited. He doesn't do a good job at landing the one and dones, that is essentially it.

2003: Falls
2004: Kurz
2005: Zeller, Ayers, McAlarney
2006: Harangody, Jackson
2010: Grant, Atkins
2011: Connaughton
2012: Biedscheid, Auguste
2013: Jackson, Beachem, Vasturia
2014: Geben, Colson
2015: Ryan, Pflueger
2016: Gibbs, Mooney
2017: Harvey
2018: Laszewski, Carmody, Hubb, Goodwin, Ryan (if you want to count him now)

I do think we are closer to agreeing than are discussion portrays though.

FWIW, ND had an assistant coach in to see him last night

Lol. We will agree to disagree about Jeffress. Part of his profile is that he is a very athletic highly rated 6 -6 wing player that can slash to the basket and has a great mid range game. Harvey and Biedshied fit that profile coming out of high school. Nobody else on that list fits that profile. So, no Brey does not land this type of player often.

You are right though Brey has a clear profile (which he needs to do some tweeking to IMO) that he wants and goes after, and in many cases for Brey's profile it doesn't matter if they are 120 or 50. I will give you he hits a top 150 player just about every year., But, lets be real there can be a huge difference between a player ranked 43 and a player ranked 82 and a player ranked 130.

He has hit on a good amount of Lower profile and under the radar guys. Cooley, Nash, Hillesland, Abromaitis, Farrell, and Carter

Can Brey develop the talent he gets and have good to decent teams? Yes. Does he need to pull in a more talented and better athletes to have better teams? Absolutely!

Last edited by Domers23; 02-19-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Lol. We will agree to disagree about Jeffress. Part of his profile is that he is a very athletic highly rated 6 -6 wing player that can slash to the basket and has a great mid range game. Harvey and Biedshied fit that profile coming out of high school. Nobody else on that list fits that profile. So, no Brey does not land this type of player often.

You are right though Brey has a clear profile (which he needs to do some tweeking to IMO) that he wants and goes after, and in many cases for Brey's profile it doesn't matter if they are 120 or 50. I will give you he hits a top 150 player just about every year., But, lets be real there can be a huge difference between a player ranked 43 and a player ranked 82 and a player ranked 130.

He has hit on a good amount of Lower profile and under the radar guys. Cooley, Nash, Hillesland, Abromaitis, Farrell, and Carter

Can Brey develop the talent he gets and have good to decent teams? Yes. Does he need to pull in a more talented and better athletes to have better teams? Absolutely!
Considering he has to play a tough ACC schedule every year, Brey has done a decent job considering the talent level. ND will never be a 1-and-done school but even Puke has adopted it and sullied their academic reputation under the "great" Coach K.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:56 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Considering he has to play a tough ACC schedule every year, Brey has done a decent job considering the talent level. ND will never be a 1-and-done school but even Puke has adopted it and sullied their academic reputation under the "great" Coach K.
Haha. I never said I wanted ND to be a one and done school. I don't want that, but they can put together programs similar to Virginia and Villinova. Brey is a decent coach, but he can do better.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:

But a profile also includes who is recruiting the kid. Does ND do well when they are battling the likes of UNC, Duke etc? No. This kid is considering in state schools Pitt and Penn State, Stanford, Baylor and Notre Dame. I think thatís an important anecdote.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
Agree with those facts...
What facts? Heís a great college coach, but thereís nothing to indicate he has any interest in coming to ND.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Haha. I never said I wanted ND to be a one and done school. I don't want that, but they can put together programs similar to Virginia and Villinova. Brey is a decent coach, but he can do better.
They might not be able to put together the consistency of either of those two programs, but they should have a better overall record than they do the past 3 years. Ever since Bonzie Colson got hurt and was lost for the yr in 2017/2018 itís been all downhill.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM

Released a top 10:

Baylor, Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Virginia, Notre Dame, Villanova