Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
I look forward to an exciting season

Wimbush is a bright kid thats obvious if you listen to him at all....sometimes teams can overwhelm BKs offense and defense irrespective of the QB,,,, the Miami game was much like that Arizona state game a couple years back,,,,both games away,,,, and both teams had our number from the opening bell...

Brandon was warn down physically , that seems to happen to our ENTIRE team all too often in the last quarter of the season.....we play better in the bowl after the rest but last few games are always difficult for us , and that's at most positions.

I see ABSOLUTELY no reason not to be optimistic about Wimbush.....the BEST dual threat we ever had in my view and that 800 plus yards rushing testifies to that.....his redzone play was terrific.....

Only time will tell if he can take that big Step Up in this his second year starting,,,, but expecting failure , expecting Book by game 3 , seems a bit knee jerk,,,,

Hopefully he plays well and the team wins a bunch of games

aloha
Thank you, Hawaii, for being the voice of reason on the board. You are absolutely right about Wimbush. He's bright, focused and has the arm and legs to lead ND to the playoffs and make all these "naysayer" ND fans eat crow.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Thank you, Hawaii, for being the voice of reason on the board. You are absolutely right about Wimbush. He's bright, focused and has the arm and legs to lead ND to the playoffs and make all these "naysayer" ND fans eat crow.
Historically, on a scale of 1-10, Hawaiiís optimism has been a 30... No crow will be eaten, but I will be incredibly frustrated when folks come back to this board to meltdown after their expectations arenít met. Just be cautiously optimistic is all Iím gonna say.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
The issue is Kelly's qb haven't improved in the past from year to year. That's my biggest concern, maybe chip long will change that but as of now I cant believe it until I see it. And he'll be able to prove himself right off the bat against michigan, we'll learn very quickly if things are different
Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
The issue is Kelly's qb haven't improved in the past from year to year. That's my biggest concern, maybe chip long will change that but as of now I cant believe it until I see it. And he'll be able to prove himself right off the bat against michigan, we'll learn very quickly if things are different
Totally agree with this. Our QBís not only donít improve, they seem to regress under BK. If BW makes a big jump this year it will be the first QB to do so at ND under BK. Since this has never happened as of yet, I think it is perfectly fair to be guarded with overly optimistic predictions.

Iím going to be more in the 8-9 win camp with losses in maybe 3-4 of our 5 toughest games. I think we lose to Mich and USC. I also think it is very possible for us to lose 2 of the Stan, VT, and FSU games. Itís just kind of been our MO in big games. I hope it changes and would be really nice to see progress.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
10-3 with a Bowl Win and a Top 15 finish

Wins over Michigan and Florida State

Losses to Stanford, Virginia Tech, and USC

Brandon Wimbush completes 58% of his passes and throws for 20 TDs

Jafar Armstrong leads the team in rushing yards

Alize Mack has 5 TDs and bolts for the NFL

Braden Lenzy has 2 kick return TDs

Jerry Tillery leads the team in sacks with 5.5

Troy Pride has 2 pick-sixes

Sam Mustipher, Te'von Coney, and Julian Love are named All Americans (first, second, or third team)
I like a lot of what you say here.
However, losing to Stanford + VaTech + USC would mean ND would have lost 3 of its final 7 games. I think that would drop them to at best a ranking of 22-25. That would place them in a mediocre bowl and even with a win I don't see how they finish in the final top 15.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
However, losing to Stanford + VaTech + USC would mean ND would have lost 3 of its final 7 games. I think that would drop them to at best a ranking of 22-25. That would place them in a mediocre bowl and even with a win I don't see how they finish in the final top 15.
That makes sense. I was more just going off of last year, when ND was 9-3 in the regular season and still got a January 1 bowl game because of their overall resume. Although, they probably would not have as many good wins this season, I still think they'd have three really good wins potentially - Michigan, Florida State, and Northwestern. I think Northwestern will be ranked when ND plays them, so that would be a quality road win. I still think a 10-win ND team likely finishes the season in the Top 15, even if those are the three losses, because their bowl opponent would likely be another Top 25 team.

I also think ND has a better team than Virginia Tech and USC. I'm not sure about Stanford because I think their offense is going to be ridiculous with Bryce Love back and those WRs who gave ND fits last season. But I am more going off BK's history.

I can't pick ND on the road at night in Blacksburg. I don't think it will be like Miami, but I think it'll be another road game where ND starts slow and has to try to come back from down two scores.

ND hasn't won their last game of the regular season since 2012. Even though I don't think USC will be great this year, I don't trust ND in November, especially after the ridiculous travel schedule the last 5 games of the year.

BK is 2-6 against Stanford. No more needs to be said.

Last edited by tneun89; 07-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
That makes sense. I was more just going off of last year, when ND was 9-3 in the regular season and still got a January 1 bowl game because of their overall resume. Although, they probably would not have as many good wins this season, I still think they'd have three really good wins potentially - Michigan, Florida State, and Northwestern. I think Northwestern will be ranked when ND plays them, so that would be a quality road win. I still think a 10-win ND team likely finishes the season in the Top 15, even if those are the three losses, because their bowl opponent would likely be another Top 25 team.

I also think ND has a better team than Virginia Tech and USC. I'm not sure about Stanford because I think their offense is going to be ridiculous with Bryce Love back and those WRs who gave ND fits last season. But I am more going off BK's history.

I can't pick ND on the road at night in Blacksburg. I don't think it will be like Miami, but I think it'll be another road game where ND starts slow and has to try to come back from down two scores.

ND hasn't won their last game of the regular season since 2012. Even though I don't think USC will be great this year, I don't trust ND in November, especially after the ridiculous travel schedule the last 5 games of the year.

BK is 2-6 against Stanford. No more needs to be said.
Agree, November is brutal travel wise and after watching the November collapse last season I'm not real optimistic they'll get through that unscathed. But the bottom line is even if they avoid a loss from a lesser team I just dont see them being better then 2-3 against the big 5 on the schedule. Getting 2 out of 3 from michigan Stanford and vt will be crucial.

* in saying that though I think Michigan will prove to be one of the better if not the best team on the slate this season so if they come out and beat them I think my expectations would certainly improve

Last edited by goirish83; 07-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
With higher than average expectations and what is expected to be a really good defense, could an 8-4 or 9-3 season spell the end for BK?

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it. "
Knute Rockne

Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Chris View Post
With higher than average expectations and what is expected to be a really good defense, could an 8-4 or 9-3 season spell the end for BK?
Find that extremely unlikely, nothing outside of a repeat of 4-8 will spell his end imo. I think kelly is here for the foreseeable future. If the powers that be are ok with 8/9 win averages throughout his entire tenure then they arent all of the sudden going to let him go after another 8 or 9 win year this year
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Lol 10-2 at worst? That's bold I'll give you that. Notre dame hasn't had back to back double digit win seasons since 92-93. This team was 9-3 last year and although the defense should stay pretty strong the o will more then likely take a step back unless wimbush is a totally different passer. I think it'll be 10-2 at best 8-4 at worst so I'm thinking split the difference and go 9-3.
Man...stop and think about that for a moment...I mean really stop and think about it. I hadn't. That's unacceptable for one of the premier programs in the nation that recruit well enough for 10 wins.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLAHOMAIRISHFAN View Post
Man...stop and think about that for a moment...I mean really stop and think about it. I hadn't. That's unacceptable for one of the premier programs in the nation that recruit well enough for 10 wins.
Agree shows how poor the coaching hires have been since Holtz. And I say that understanding that the sport is extremely different in many ways then it was in the early 90's. Still completely unacceptable
Old 08-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

1. Jafar Armstrong will lead the team in rushing. I just think Tony Jones is the least dynamic starting RB at ND in a long, long time. This offense needs a gamebreaker and Jafar brings that.

2. Ian Book finishes the season as QB1. I dont think Wimbush finishes the season out as QB1. Either from injury or performance. I think Book steps in some point and keeps the job.

3. Tevon Coney leads the nation in tackles. I expect a huge season from Coney.

4. The offensive line struggles. I think people assume the oline will be fine, but I am not so confident that this group will be as solid as most think after losing two studs and one of the best oline coaches in the nation.

5. The secondary has its best season since 2002. Finally, a deep and talented group that possibly exceeds the greatest group of my generation.

6. Alize Mack gets passed on the depth chart. Not sure this is a bold prediction. Maybe more of an inevitability.

7. Kevin Austin becomes Mike Floyd 2.0. He will surprise early and start by seasons end. He will force his way onto the field with his size and route running.

8. Kevin Stepherson returns. Lol. Just kidding.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackson'sDred15 View Post
1. Jafar Armstrong will lead the team in rushing. I just think Tony Jones is the least dynamic starting RB at ND in a long, long time. This offense needs a gamebreaker and Jafar brings that.

2. Ian Book finishes the season as QB1. I dont think Wimbush finishes the season out as QB1. Either from injury or performance. I think Book steps in some point and keeps the job.

3. Tevon Coney leads the nation in tackles. I expect a huge season from Coney.

4. The offensive line struggles. I think people assume the oline will be fine, but I am not so confident that this group will be as solid as most think after losing two studs and one of the best oline coaches in the nation.

5. The secondary has its best season since 2002. Finally, a deep and talented group that possibly exceeds the greatest group of my generation.

6. Alize Mack gets passed on the depth chart. Not sure this is a bold prediction. Maybe more of an inevitability.

7. Kevin Austin becomes Mike Floyd 2.0. He will surprise early and start by seasons end. He will force his way onto the field with his size and route running.

8. Kevin Stepherson returns. Lol. Just kidding.
Agree with these except I think Kevin Austin might be Randy Moss 2.0. I also 'claimed' Bauer as my pick for the best freshman in the class way back. I think he's an all American next year but I expect him to get in games and really bang some heads this year. Also Coleman will be an all American.

I think this freshman class will be special.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

A lot of good stuff on Bauer. I wonder if it makes sense to eventually have Tranquill go back to Rover at some point this season and start Bauer with Coney at ILB. Talk about two big LBs that can fly. Never liked Bilal that much, and I think Coney Tranquil and Bauer are the three best.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
A lot of good stuff on Bauer. I wonder if it makes sense to eventually have Tranquill go back to Rover at some point this season and start Bauer with Coney at ILB. Talk about two big LBs that can fly. Never liked Bilal that much, and I think Coney Tranquil and Bauer are the three best.
Yeah Bilal has been one of if not the biggest disappointments for me in the last few years. Guys never lived up to potential.

I do like that idea though, word out of camp is we will see Simon play some too.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default QB

Quote:
Lol 10-2 at worst? That's bold I'll give you that. Notre dame hasn't had back to back double digit win seasons since 92-93. This team was 9-3 last year and although the defense should stay pretty strong the o will more then likely take a step back unless wimbush is a totally different passer. I think it'll be 10-2 at best 8-4 at worst so I'm thinking split the difference and go 9-3.
You laugh at my Bold 10-2 prediction and then go with a 9-3.

Our weak spot last year was a CB and a Safety. Both have been corrected. No weak spots on defense. LBs and TEs are very good.

Our Offense will be about the same over all. The O Line was strong on the left but this year they will not be as strong on the left side but will be stronger across the line.

We will miss Williams and a worry about WRs.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Don't be surprised if Simon ends up starting at rover very soon.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Armstrong is an intriguing rb prospect, he's big, strong, fast, athletic, just a lot to like about him. would not be surprised to see him turn in to another cj prosise. agree about tony jones, BK always seems to talk him up but then he falls way short of that when he gets into games.