Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 AM
Domer Dude Domer Dude is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,441
Default

ND is going to surprise this year.

Who's stat's are these?

Comp, ATT, %, Yards, Yards/ATT, TD, INT, Rating

141, 260, 54.2, 2010, 7.7, 10, 9, 124.9

Wimbush will blow this cat out of the water with total offense and productivity
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #52  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:37 AM
AlabamaDuck AlabamaDuck is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Posts: 1,906
Default QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
That doesnít make sense. You canít take out high % pass plays, you takeout the QB. Sampson has said heís still struggling with the same issues, which has me very concerned.
I don`t think you read your post. You give up the QB for a soft Pass? Why not spread the receiver out another 10 yards and let Wimbush throw a hard ball. Or led Wimbush throw the soft pass and complete 50%
Wimbush is the best that we have and our only chance to get in the play-off.
Most of the really good QBs weren't very good until their 3rd and 4th year.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:25 PM
goirish83's Avatar
goirish83 goirish83 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDuck View Post
Most of the really good QBs weren't very good until their 3rd and 4th year.
That's not really the case under kelly though right? Kizer was better his first year starting vs his second, golsons best year was as a freshman. Rees is the only one who showed any sort of improvement.

It's been well reported that wimbush is still missing the entire net in target drills, that's a problem. If wimbush isnt significantly better throwing the football this season I dont see how we can get to 10 wins. 10 happened last year in part because the o line and Adam's along with wimbushs running ability covered up the lack of a pass game, with the o line and rb's seemingly taking a step back this season I dont think we get the benefit of that cover
__________________

Last edited by goirish83; 08-16-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM
ColinKSU's Avatar
ColinKSU ColinKSU is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,319
Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU
Default

I expect Wimbush to continue to be what he is: a running QB that is such a great athlete that he can beat lesser teams with his feet, but can't do anything against a team with equal or superior athletes because he can't throw the football with accuracy.
__________________
Trying my best to care less and less about sports.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Franco's Avatar
Franco Franco is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,284
Send a message via AIM to Franco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
But every head coach yells. I mean, sh|t, using that logic how does Nick churn out NC caliber QBs every year?

There's something else he's doing that is crushing the mentality of the stars he still somehow manages to recruit.

For the life of me i can't figure out why great QB prospects wanna play for him. Weis, sure, he could coach and develop QBs...
That's fair...I honestly don't know
__________________
"Disaster strikes in the form of number 23"
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
But every head coach yells. I mean, sh|t, using that logic how does Nick churn out NC caliber QBs every year?

There's something else he's doing that is crushing the mentality of the stars he still somehow manages to recruit.

For the life of me i can't figure out why great QB prospects wanna play for him. Weis, sure, he could coach and develop QBs...
Most Bama QBs are just game managers. TT might be the only real NFL talent heíll put out.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:57 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDuck View Post
I don`t think you read your post. You give up the QB for a soft Pass? Why not spread the receiver out another 10 yards and let Wimbush throw a hard ball. Or led Wimbush throw the soft pass and complete 50%
Wimbush is the best that we have and our only chance to get in the play-off.
Most of the really good QBs weren't very good until their 3rd and 4th year.
If a QB canít throw a friggin Bubble Screen, then he shouldnít be out there.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM
97domer's Avatar
97domer 97domer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 607
Default

What's funny is, living here in Michigan, all the Meatchicken fans believe Wimbush is going to be all-world. He is the key to this season. I'm actually excited to see what he can do out there. I've found some way to remove all anxiety, pessimism, and negativity about the Irish over the past few years and just enjoy the season as it unfolds.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:17 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
I expect Wimbush to continue to be what he is: a running QB that is such a great athlete that he can beat lesser teams with his feet, but can't do anything against a team with equal or superior athletes because he can't throw the football with accuracy.
Here's another wrinkle to throw into this discussion... Wimbush and Adams were "great" last year, right? How much of that was simple the O-Line? When I rewatched game film, the holes were literally big enough to drive two semis through them. ANYBODY would've appeared to be a Heisman candidate running behind that line. Do we expect the same this year? If not, do we think Wimbush is agile enough to be as productive on the ground as last year?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Frankus Frankus is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,239
Default

Read my South Bend Tribune today (August 18th). You can read it online if you're an "Insider". They reported that yesterday Wimbush threw an interception during the goal line period, had two TD passes and one knocked away by the defender. During the 11 x 11 scrimmage session, Wimbush had one interception to a linebacker and then a safety dropped a sure interception on a late throw. He had a long reception by Finke. During the 7 on 7 session, Wimbush threw two TD passes.

Last edited by Frankus; 08-16-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Read my South Bend Tribune today (August 18th). You can read it online if you're an "Insider". They reported that yesterday Wimbush threw an interception during the goal line period, had two TD passes and one knocked away by the defender. During the 11 x 11 scrimmage session, Wimbush had one interception to a linebacker and then a safety dropped a sure interception on a late throw. He had a long reception by Finke. During the 7 on 7 session, Wimbush threw two TD passes.
Sounds like 50/50 to me. Right where heís always been.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Most Bama QBs are just game managers. TT might be the only real NFL talent heíll put out.
But we aren't discussing college talent translating into NFL success. We are discussing college talent being developed while in school....progressing from freshman to upperclassman....

Saban can expect his QBs to get better as they slowly learn the system, experience time with it, and absorb the tutelage behind QB development.

We expect (and get) the opposite.
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Read my South Bend Tribune today (August 18th). You can read it online if you're an "Insider". They reported that yesterday Wimbush threw an interception during the goal line period, had two TD passes and one knocked away by the defender. During the 11 x 11 scrimmage session, Wimbush had one interception to a linebacker and then a safety dropped a sure interception on a late throw. He had a long reception by Finke. During the 7 on 7 session, Wimbush threw two TD passes.
..and that's against our defense....
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is online now
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Here's another wrinkle to throw into this discussion... Wimbush and Adams were "great" last year, right? How much of that was simple the O-Line? When I rewatched game film, the holes were literally big enough to drive two semis through them. ANYBODY would've appeared to be a Heisman candidate running behind that line. Do we expect the same this year? If not, do we think Wimbush is agile enough to be as productive on the ground as last year?
Yeah, there is a reason Adams wasn't drafted. Maybe he wasn't really that good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 PM
The eND The eND is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Great state of ... New York?
Posts: 359
Default

I kinda think we are going to be more in that 9-3 to 8-4 range this year.

Ian Book I believe is the guy. Wimbush might be all-around more athletic but that doesn't mean he translates into a great game quarterback.

If we can't run the ball like we did last year Wimbush can't play. End of story.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:58 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
I kinda think we are going to be more in that 9-3 to 8-4 range this year.
Here's my prediction for the season based on what's been discussed in this thread:

Michigan - Loss
Ball State - Win
Vanderbilt - Win
Wake Forest - Loss
Stanford - Loss
Virginia Tech - Loss
Pitt - Win
Navy - Win
Northwestern - Loss
Florida State - Win
Syracuse - Win
USC - Loss

So, I guess, like Wimbush's passing %, we go 6-6. Wake Forest was a tough one for me, but they looked good as a program last year and Dave Clawson is a good coach. I'm worried he'll jump up and bite us. Fuente is a great coach at Virginia Tech, as well. I just don't see us winning shootouts. I'm assuming FSU is going to struggle.

For the "I told you so" homers, this is just an objective prediction. I hope we go undefeated, but I just can't see it right now. If we do, there is no egg on my face because I am not emotionally involved in my prediction. Just trying to do my best to call it like I see it. So, in summary, I don't want to hear any 4 year old retorts...unless it's a substantive response about why you actually think we'll win or lose games specific games.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Here's my prediction for the season based on what's been discussed in this thread:

Michigan - Loss
Ball State - Win
Vanderbilt - Win
Wake Forest - Loss
Stanford - Loss
Virginia Tech - Loss
Pitt - Win
Navy - Win
Northwestern - Loss
Florida State - Win
Syracuse - Win
USC - Loss

So, I guess, like Wimbush's passing %, we go 6-6. Wake Forest was a tough one for me, but they looked good as a program last year and Dave Clawson is a good coach. I'm worried he'll jump up and bite us. Fuente is a great coach at Virginia Tech, as well. I just don't see us winning shootouts. I'm assuming FSU is going to struggle.

For the "I told you so" homers, this is just an objective prediction. I hope we go undefeated, but I just can't see it right now. If we do, there is no egg on my face because I am not emotionally involved in my prediction. Just trying to do my best to call it like I see it. So, in summary, I don't want to hear any 4 year old retorts...unless it's a substantive response about why you actually think we'll win or lose games specific games.
Iíd say thatís a worse case scenario. I think 7-8 wins is probably more likely, ceiling at 9 wins. I think the Defense will keep them in most games, but substandard QB play will not beat any of the quality teams on this schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
..and that's against our defense....
Which is a very good Defense, not surprised you would glare over that.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
But we aren't discussing college talent translating into NFL success. We are discussing college talent being developed while in school....progressing from freshman to upperclassman....

Saban can expect his QBs to get better as they slowly learn the system, experience time with it, and absorb the tutelage behind QB development.

We expect (and get) the opposite.
Calling them NC caliber is huge misnomer. They arenít NC caliber on any other team. They donít necessarily progress either, look what happened to Hurts.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM
ndomer4's Avatar
ndomer4 ndomer4 is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 4,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Which is a very good Defense, not surprised you would glare over that.
Yeah I was gonna say, our defense might be the best one he sees all season.

Make no mistake about it, the defense will be the driving force of this team.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Franco's Avatar
Franco Franco is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,284
Send a message via AIM to Franco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Here's another wrinkle to throw into this discussion... Wimbush and Adams were "great" last year, right? How much of that was simple the O-Line? When I rewatched game film, the holes were literally big enough to drive two semis through them. ANYBODY would've appeared to be a Heisman candidate running behind that line. Do we expect the same this year? If not, do we think Wimbush is agile enough to be as productive on the ground as last year?
Yup, I've actually always said this, but I didn't think Adams was THAT good. He definitely had breakaway speed that Williams doesn't have, but he was VERY slow to get up to speed and absolutely needed those huge holes

Whenever we faced a team that had a defense quick enough to close those holes fast, he didn't do much (i.e. Miami, Stanford, and LSU)
__________________
"Disaster strikes in the form of number 23"
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Franco's Avatar
Franco Franco is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,284
Send a message via AIM to Franco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Yeah I was gonna say, our defense might be the best one he sees all season.

Make no mistake about it, the defense will be the driving force of this team.
Not so sure about that

Michigan and Stanford are definitely better, and you can argue some other teams are just as good
__________________
"Disaster strikes in the form of number 23"
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Frankus Frankus is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 3,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Yeah, there is a reason Adams wasn't drafted. Maybe he wasn't really that good.
If you're going to have a slow developing running game, you should have an extraordinarily quick back who has tremendous feet and first step acceleration. Adams didn't, which is why against the quicker teams he was shut down. The closest ND has had to what they need in the Kelly era is Riddick, who's a 3rd down back in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Which is a very good Defense, not surprised you would glare over that.
Haha can't wait to see how you feel about our defense after game 1....
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 3,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Haha can't wait to see how you feel about our defense after game 1....
You’re such a ****. The Defense was very good last season and returns 8 or 9 starters. God, you are miserable.

Last edited by SpeedsterX; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 AM. Reason: NO NAME CALLING!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Last Updated: September 23, 2018

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.