Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:07 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,705
Default What we've learned- Pitt

1. Mayer is exciting, Skowronek has a role.
2. Book will always prefer 4-5 wide where he can run/short pass.
3. Book needed to see man to man defense, still struggles with zone.
4. Lenzy is still hurt. Needs to just sit out and heal.
5. Defense is very good with MTA back
6. Foskey has a very bright future.
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:16 PM
ndomer4's Avatar
ndomer4 ndomer4 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 5,255
Default

1- This defence is good enough to win the national title.
2- Mayer is our best receiving threat.
3- Bauer>White.
4- Clarke Lea will be a head coach soon.
5- Our vaunted o line yet again disappeared vs a solid run defense.
6- Book was better but still missed on high throws and did not get the ball to wide open receivers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:19 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
1. Mayer is exciting, Skowronek has a role.
2. Book will always prefer 4-5 wide where he can run/short pass.
3. Book needed to see man to man defense, still struggles with zone.
4. Lenzy is still hurt. Needs to just sit out and heal.
5. Defense is very good with MTA back
6. Foskey has a very bright future.
I missed this whole game. First time since 86 Iíve missed a game. Looks like I didnít miss much.
Anyways, I agree about Lenzy. I would think playing GT next would be a great time to do that.
Faith, is there a way we could focus on our run game with Mayer and then introduce our wideouts? It seems like that might be the way ND needs to go.
Without watching but reading posts, it still seems like ND is missing a true wideout still. I think using our running-backs and Mayer can open them up? What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:26 PM
Kid Gloves's Avatar
Kid Gloves Kid Gloves is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,434
Default

Defense is solid. Probably not a championship caliber defense, but very solid.

Our offensive line still looks to me like they underperform for how much talent and experience they have.

Book is still bad. Canít throw the ball downfield. 3 of his TDS were not good throw and got lucky the defenders simply couldnít see the ball and/or made terrible plays on the ball. He also missed some wide open throws that would have been big plays.

Mayer is a beast and is the real deal. So are Owusu and Hamilton.

Our receivers still donít get much separation and we donít have much downfield speed with Lenzy hurt and Austin now out for the year.

We need to expunge the delayed halfback toss. That play is horrible and will get our running backs killed.
__________________
"Response? Yeah, I have a response. Uh....What?!?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:30 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,830
Default

Pittís qb was atrocious... We missed three or four INTs and I didnít even watch past four minutes left in the third... I think our line did just fine against a stout run defense like Pitt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2020, 01:04 AM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 367
Default

1. Mayer has a very bright future.
2. WR can not get any separation
3. Oline I thought played okay. Itís tough to run the ball when the defense puts every in the box. Teams are not afraid of our passing and will constantly stack the box until we can pass.
4. Glad to see MTA is fully back.
5. Our kick off coverage needs to contain the return man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2020, 01:25 AM
WeaverIrish's Avatar
WeaverIrish WeaverIrish is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 1,293
Default

Defense is very good
Lea should be the next ND head coach
Offense has weapons but who know if it will produce game to game
Book actually made some decent passes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2020, 02:15 AM
Rattlesnake's Avatar
Rattlesnake Rattlesnake is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
1- This defence is good enough to win the national title.
2- Mayer is our best receiving threat.
3- Bauer>White.
4- Clarke Lea will be a head coach soon.
5- Our vaunted o line yet again disappeared vs a solid run defense.
6- Book was better but still missed on high throws and did not get the ball to wide open receivers.
In regards to 4 - who would you rather lose, Kelly or Lea?

I am so bummed we are gonna lose him.. wish he could just be our HC now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2020, 02:24 AM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,324
Default

I knew already, but then I watched OSU game and ND has minimal speed at the WR position. Those OSU receivers were flying breaking their routes. ND should grab a full back and run power I with this team, oline is game I am sure.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Rattlesnake's Avatar
Rattlesnake Rattlesnake is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
I knew already, but then I watched OSU game and ND has minimal speed at the WR position. Those OSU receivers were flying breaking their routes. ND should grab a full back and run power I with this team, oline is game I am sure.
We basically have for 4 games. Avg of 175 passing yards per game means we are a kyren squad.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2020, 03:46 AM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
In regards to 4 - who would you rather lose, Kelly or Lea?

I am so bummed we are gonna lose him.. wish he could just be our HC now.
I think heís proven enough to be named Kellyís successor. However, the Vandy job is almost certain to be open, have to think thatís where heíll be next year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-25-2020, 03:55 AM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
I think heís proven enough to be named Kellyís successor. However, the Vandy job is almost certain to be open, have to think thatís where heíll be next year.
If thatís all heís got, it is best to wait a few years if ND gives him the coach in waiting guarantee. Vandy is and always will be a dead end job.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2020, 05:51 AM
Domers23 Domers23 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
If thatís all heís got, it is best to wait a few years if ND gives him the coach in waiting guarantee. Vandy is and always will be a dead end job.
Nooooo! I love Clark Lea as an outstanding defensive coordinator, but The head coach at Notre Dame needs to have significant And successful college head coaching experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2020, 01:11 PM
nd2000 nd2000 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

Our offensive line still looks to me like they underperform for how much talent and experience they have.
The problem is that we donít have any game breakers and a QB that is a threat to take the top off a defense consistently. If we did, this OL would look dominant. All five of these guys will be playing on Sundays.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2020, 03:15 PM
ndmike88's Avatar
ndmike88 ndmike88 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee
Posts: 1,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
In regards to 4 - who would you rather lose, Kelly or Lea?

I am so bummed we are gonna lose him.. wish he could just be our HC now.
Is this a trick question? Kelly has shown everyone time and time again that he can't compete with the big boys. Lea knows ND's system and deserves a shot as ND's head coach.
__________________
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
1. Mayer is exciting, Skowronek has a role.
2. Book will always prefer 4-5 wide where he can run/short pass.
3. Book needed to see man to man defense, still struggles with zone.
4. Lenzy is still hurt. Needs to just sit out and heal.
5. Defense is very good with MTA back
6. Foskey has a very bright future.
Agree, Faith that I think we will see Skowronek play a very significant role going forward now that he is fully healthy. He was a very good player at Northwestern.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM
ndomer4's Avatar
ndomer4 ndomer4 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 5,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Is this a trick question? Kelly has shown everyone time and time again that he can't compete with the big boys. Lea knows ND's system and deserves a shot as ND's head coach.
He should be made the head coach in waiting, Iíve never had so much fun watching a Notre Dame defense. Always disciplined and fundamentally sound.

I agree head coaching experience would be great, however Iíd be willing to let Lea learn on the job given how great his defences will be. I still like Fleck, but we have so many years committed to BK itís a moot point.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2020, 04:15 PM
tneun89's Avatar
tneun89 tneun89 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,078
Default

Some need to realize that Pitt has a really good defense. Coming into the game, Pitt had the #1 rushing defense in the country, allowing 61.5 yards/game. ND ran for nearly double that, despite Pitt loading the box and selling out to stop the run, and all the lost yardage in garbage time in the fourth quarter with NDís second-string OL and fourth-string RB. Pitt entered the game #8 in the country giving up 274.7 yards/game. ND finished with 434 yards, despite the starters only playing three quarters.

I agree there is more work to be done at WR, but how could you watch the game and come away with complaints about Book? He had over 300 yards passing, 3 TDs and no INTs in three quarters. He has minimal talent to work with at WR, which will be a problem on Nov. 7th. But he made some really nice throws, including 6 over 20 yards. His TDs were not simply luck - he threw the ball where his wide receivers could make a play. Todd Blackledge made a comment during the broadcast about NDís WRs not getting separation, making Book throw into tight windows. He did that. The only TD that was borderline was Mayerís because he should have thrown it earlier. Book also had 40 yards rushing (which includes lost yardage due to sacks). He was a true weapon and made some great runs, especially on third down. ND was 11-18 on third down against one of the better third down defenses in the country (#14 in the country at 29.5%). That doesnít happen by accident.

If the ND defense isnít a championship defense, I donít know what is. Pitt is atrocious offensively, but they still scored 55, 21, 23, 29, 30, and 19 in their first 6 games. ND held them to 3 points, and Pitt went scoreless on their last 11 drives. They gained 162 total yards. 162. Look at Louisville. A week after ND held them to 7 points and 233 yards, they scored 48 points and had 569 total yards against FSU.

I donít think ND is an elite team because of the WR position. But yesterday, they looked like a Top 10 team and borderline Top 5. ND beat a solid Pitt team by 42. Clemson beat Syracuse by 26, OSU beat Nebraska by 35, Alabama beat Tennessee by 31. Elite teams dominate and ND did that yesterday. Do it again next week against Georgia Tech and they have a fighting chance against Clemson.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-25-2020, 04:46 PM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Some need to realize that Pitt has a really good defense. Coming into the game, Pitt had the #1 rushing defense in the country, allowing 61.5 yards/game. ND ran for nearly double that, despite Pitt loading the box and selling out to stop the run, and all the lost yardage in garbage time in the fourth quarter with NDís second-string OL and fourth-string RB. Pitt entered the game #8 in the country giving up 274.7 yards/game. ND finished with 434 yards, despite the starters only playing three quarters.

I agree there is more work to be done at WR, but how could you watch the game and come away with complaints about Book? He had over 300 yards passing, 3 TDs and no INTs in three quarters. He has minimal talent to work with at WR, which will be a problem on Nov. 7th. But he made some really nice throws, including 6 over 20 yards. His TDs were not simply luck - he threw the ball where his wide receivers could make a play. Todd Blackledge made a comment during the broadcast about NDís WRs not getting separation, making Book throw into tight windows. He did that. The only TD that was borderline was Mayerís because he should have thrown it earlier. Book also had 40 yards rushing (which includes lost yardage due to sacks). He was a true weapon and made some great runs, especially on third down. ND was 11-18 on third down against one of the better third down defenses in the country (#14 in the country at 29.5%). That doesnít happen by accident.

If the ND defense isnít a championship defense, I donít know what is. Pitt is atrocious offensively, but they still scored 55, 21, 23, 29, 30, and 19 in their first 6 games. ND held them to 3 points, and Pitt went scoreless on their last 11 drives. They gained 162 total yards. 162. Look at Louisville. A week after ND held them to 7 points and 233 yards, they scored 48 points and had 569 total yards against FSU.

I donít think ND is an elite team because of the WR position. But yesterday, they looked like a Top 10 team and borderline Top 5. ND beat a solid Pitt team by 42. Clemson beat Syracuse by 26, OSU beat Nebraska by 35, Alabama beat Tennessee by 31. Elite teams dominate and ND did that yesterday. Do it again next week against Georgia Tech and they have a fighting chance against Clemson.
I agree.

Book won't get a ton of credit just because he doesn't really fit the Trevor Lawrence mold. but 300 yards and 3 Tds with 0 interceptions against a good defense will always speak for itself.

Yesterday was a team victory. ND forced turnovers helping the offense with short fields, got a punt block TD. played complimentary football


ND will need to play complimentary football going forward. We will need to win the turnover battle like we did yesterday, possess the ball 40 minutes to 20 minutes.

A QB never wins a game on his own. It takes the team.
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Kid Gloves's Avatar
Kid Gloves Kid Gloves is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2000 View Post
The problem is that we donít have any game breakers and a QB that is a threat to take the top off a defense consistently. If we did, this OL would look dominant. All five of these guys will be playing on Sundays.
I do agree that having no quality speedy receivers along with a QB that canít throw it farther than 20 yards hampers the running game. But again, this all goes back to my main issue and that is coaching. BK doesnít develop QBs
__________________
"Response? Yeah, I have a response. Uh....What?!?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 PM
hawaiiirish hawaiiirish is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11,072
Default

I dont really think Book has some outstanding hidden potential thats just not been developed by the coaches....he is IMO likely playing at his best potential given his natural talent....he misses claypool no doubt...he does scramble well and makes some key 3rd downs...he is what he is....i dont think some degree of higher quality coaching would produce an elite QB out of Ian.

Defense does reflect first class coaching and recruiting....

Mayer looks like he could play in the NFL next sunday....we need to see more of him and im sure we will....

aloha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
Nooooo! I love Clark Lea as an outstanding defensive coordinator, but The head coach at Notre Dame needs to have significant And successful college head coaching experience.
Lincoln Riley proves thatís not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:51 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2000 View Post
The problem is that we donít have any game breakers and a QB that is a threat to take the top off a defense consistently. If we did, this OL would look dominant. All five of these guys will be playing on Sundays.
I disagree if youíre saying they donít have game breakers in general. Kyren Williams is definitely a game breaker. If youíre referring to WR, Iíd agree with that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:53 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Some need to realize that Pitt has a really good defense. Coming into the game, Pitt had the #1 rushing defense in the country, allowing 61.5 yards/game. ND ran for nearly double that, despite Pitt loading the box and selling out to stop the run, and all the lost yardage in garbage time in the fourth quarter with NDís second-string OL and fourth-string RB. Pitt entered the game #8 in the country giving up 274.7 yards/game. ND finished with 434 yards, despite the starters only playing three quarters.

I agree there is more work to be done at WR, but how could you watch the game and come away with complaints about Book? He had over 300 yards passing, 3 TDs and no INTs in three quarters. He has minimal talent to work with at WR, which will be a problem on Nov. 7th. But he made some really nice throws, including 6 over 20 yards. His TDs were not simply luck - he threw the ball where his wide receivers could make a play. Todd Blackledge made a comment during the broadcast about NDís WRs not getting separation, making Book throw into tight windows. He did that. The only TD that was borderline was Mayerís because he should have thrown it earlier. Book also had 40 yards rushing (which includes lost yardage due to sacks). He was a true weapon and made some great runs, especially on third down. ND was 11-18 on third down against one of the better third down defenses in the country (#14 in the country at 29.5%). That doesnít happen by accident.

If the ND defense isnít a championship defense, I donít know what is. Pitt is atrocious offensively, but they still scored 55, 21, 23, 29, 30, and 19 in their first 6 games. ND held them to 3 points, and Pitt went scoreless on their last 11 drives. They gained 162 total yards. 162. Look at Louisville. A week after ND held them to 7 points and 233 yards, they scored 48 points and had 569 total yards against FSU.

I donít think ND is an elite team because of the WR position. But yesterday, they looked like a Top 10 team and borderline Top 5. ND beat a solid Pitt team by 42. Clemson beat Syracuse by 26, OSU beat Nebraska by 35, Alabama beat Tennessee by 31. Elite teams dominate and ND did that yesterday. Do it again next week against Georgia Tech and they have a fighting chance against Clemson.
Iíd also say, Pittís atrocious offense put their Defense in terrible positions all game. That said, this is the same team that played Miami close just last week. That includes their dreadful QB.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-26-2020, 05:57 AM
nd2000 nd2000 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
I disagree if youíre saying they donít have game breakers in general. Kyren Williams is definitely a game breaker. If youíre referring to WR, Iíd agree with that.
Yes, you need guys who can stretch the field to open things up for the running game. Right now defenses donít respect our vertical passing game for obvious reasons, which allows them to cheat more to stop our run. No opponent game plans for ND and is worried about Ian Book. They are all out to stop our run game.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Last Updated: November 23, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.