8. LSU
9. Clemson
10. Notre Dame
11. Miami
12. Oklahoma
13. Georgia
14. Wisconsin
15. Texas
when's the last time Oregon had this good of a class? USC is #4/#8 and they haven't even played a game.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
when's the last time Oregon had this good of a class? USC is #4/#8 and they haven't even played a game.
Oregon has been recruiting really well under Cristobal. They finished #11 last cycle, but signed 3 5-stars. They finished #7 in 2019. But besides that, they never finished in the Top 10 going back to 2010. Even in the best days under Chip Kelly, they were consistently in the bottom half of the Top 20 and sometimes outside of the Top 20.

USC is a major surprise because Clay Helton is still there and nothing has changed - he's still on the hot seat. It's amazing that they finished #64 (247) in the country last year with only 2 4-star recruits. And now they are Top 5-ish. But it's a typical USC class where it is very talented at the skill positions, but not in the trenches. The highest OL/DL commit is ranked #178 (DT) and that is the only recruit inside the Top 300. They only have one other 4-star OL/DL (OT). The rest are all 3-stars. ND has taken control of the rivalry under BK because they are so much better in the trenches.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Domer Domain All American

USC is definitely a surprise and purely based on good recruiters, not necessarily good coaches. They do have a couple of good coaches too though.

ND needs to close with Dont'e Thornton, TMA, and find another CB. Then see how the year goes and swing for the fences for a couple of guys at the very end.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
USC is definitely a surprise and purely based on good recruiters, not necessarily good coaches. They do have a couple of good coaches too though.

ND needs to close with Dont'e Thornton, TMA, and find another CB. Then see how the year goes and swing for the fences for a couple of guys at the very end.
Landing Donte Thornton would be a swing for the fence and would be a Huge get. Landing him would be a big surprise, not something that is expected.

Landing TMA, Johnson and Kia is the more realistic finish
Old 10-03-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Landing Donte Thornton would be a swing for the fence and would be a Huge get. Landing him would be a big surprise, not something that is expected.

Landing TMA, Johnson and Kia is the more realistic finish
Thornton is a longer shot compared to the others you mentioned but the type ND needs to land to turn the corner. A true long shot IMO is Wright given the difference in circumstances with their recruitments. They need to find a way to close.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

And that is a recipe for disaster for USC. Ask Weis about that. Got to recruit the trenches.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I would like to know why the staff can't sell Edwards on committing.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
I would like to know why the staff can't sell Edwards on committing.
Other than Michigan, apparently his top schools are Georgia, Oklahoma, and Michigan State.
Maybe he doesn’t want the academic load ND would present compared to those. Maybe he’s hesitant to go to a school where religion is so prevalent.
Maybe South Bend doesn’t hold his interest.
Maybe he has had a bad interaction with coaches or ND players.
So many possible reasons. Like all recruits, he’s just a kid. He probably doesn’t know what he wants, but has found more things he knows he doesn’t want at ND compared to those other schools.

We’d all love to see him at ND. I don’t blame the coaching staff if he chooses to go somewhere else. It sounds like they made him a priority but he has other interests.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:04 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Other than Michigan, apparently his top schools are Georgia, Oklahoma, and Michigan State.
Maybe he doesn’t want the academic load ND would present compared to those. Maybe he’s hesitant to go to a school where religion is so prevalent.
Maybe South Bend doesn’t hold his interest.
Maybe he has had a bad interaction with coaches or ND players.
So many possible reasons. Like all recruits, he’s just a kid. He probably doesn’t know what he wants, but has found more things he knows he doesn’t want at ND compared to those other schools.

We’d all love to see him at ND. I don’t blame the coaching staff if he chooses to go somewhere else. It sounds like they made him a priority but he has other interests.
ND showed up very late to the show, basically ignoring all other RB recruits except for Shipley and didn’t show any real interest in Edwards until Shipley went with Clemson. It’s totally on the coaching staff for putting all their eggs in one basket. It’s great that he hasn’t totally eliminated the Irish and I hope they pull of the coup but they were very late to the party and probably is a big reason why they don’t appear to have much of a chance.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:00 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfanatic78 View Post
ND showed up very late to the show, basically ignoring all other RB recruits except for Shipley and didn’t show any real interest in Edwards until Shipley went with Clemson. It’s totally on the coaching staff for putting all their eggs in one basket. It’s great that he hasn’t totally eliminated the Irish and I hope they pull of the coup but they were very late to the party and probably is a big reason why they don’t appear to have much of a chance.
I clearly am not a recruitnik.
I suspect the staff took the path they thought would most likely land the player they wanted most. If it had worked everyone would have been singing their praises. It didn’t work and critics get to have their say. Fair enough.
I don’t sit in the recruiting meetings or know anything about the kids involved.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:36 PM

Last edited by Big23Head; 10-15-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:41 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
It's a weird recruitment for sure. He seemed ready to flip to OU a few months ago, but then he didn't - possibly because OU wasn't ready to take his commitment yet. Then Texas offered, and he had major interest in them. But over the last few months, his most likely landing spot seemed to be SMU. But if you look at his Twitter, he has been very pro-ND lately. When schools sent out formal offers, he retweeted his OU offer, but not his ND offer - very strange. So, this is a major change.

One ND recruiting insider said that there was basically no chance he ends up at ND. ND got Will Schweitzer to seemingly take that spot. But now it looks like he might stick. I really like Abiara - he has great talent and is the type of DL ND needs to land. So, I don't care if he was about to flip or was waivering - if he ends up in ND's class, that's a huge win. And it would be a huge loss if he does end up decommitting.
Positive update regarding David Abiara. It sounds like the ND staff expects Abiara to stick and end up in the class. Big turnaround from a few months ago when he seemed 100% ready to decommit. Great news for ND - I really like Abiara and think he will be one of the best players in the class. Great get for Elston and the DL.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 AM

Expect Oregon.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:05 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Not much left in this class. The 2 Hawaiian kids and Johnson are the only realsitic options left?
Old 10-19-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Positive update regarding David Abiara. It sounds like the ND staff expects Abiara to stick and end up in the class. Big turnaround from a few months ago when he seemed 100% ready to decommit. Great news for ND - I really like Abiara and think he will be one of the best players in the class. Great get for Elston and the DL.
Great to hear. Hope he sticks also. Reports have been stellar about his talent. He has an Alabama offer. Enough said.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:11 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Not much left in this class. The 2 Hawaiian kids and Johnson are the only realsitic options left?
I think it's Titus at Safety and Ceyair Wright at CB. There was a positive update about Ceyair last week, but if I had to bet money, I think he'll stay out west - USC or Stanford. I think if Johnson was going to flip, it would have happened already - he will likely stick with Northwestern. It sounds like they're evaluating a Pitt 3-star CB commit from Georgia - Khalil Anderson - but no offer yet.

The Hawaiian LB - Kahanu Kia - will make a decision soon (November-ish). I think he is a Utah legacy. ND has had great success in Hawaii and those guys seem to always outplay their ranking, but I just don't see it with him.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM

In some way ND is after another CB and S. Preferred are Wright and Titus, but if they go elsewhere ND will still be on the hunt for those positions. Kia is a guy they really seem to like, so that is a trust the staff move. The obviously sees a player in Kia, but it doesn't hurt that he is teammates with 2022 LB Tevarua Tafiti.

Last edited by Big23Head; 10-20-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
In some way ND is after another CB and S. Preferred are Wright and Titus, but if they go elsewhere ND will still be on the hunt for those positions. Kia is a guy they really seem to like, so that is a trust the staff move. The obviously sees a player in Kia, but it doesn't hurt that he is teammates with 2022 LB Tevarua Tafiti.
Surprised we couldn't flip Johnson
Old 10-21-2020, 01:12 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I agree that it is not a bad move to take an Hawaiian player (or two) to keep the pipeline open even if Kia might be a little of a reach. Also, given that Roby Toma is coaching WRs at Kia's high school (Punahou), Toma might have helped identify that Kia is a better player than his ranking. Finally, Kia might also help with getting Titus this year as well as Tevarua Tafiti next year.

Last edited by jbrown_9999; 10-21-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Old 10-26-2020, 03:38 PM

I saw last week that ND made Donovan Edwards final 7, are we still a long shot?
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I saw last week that ND made Donovan Edwards final 7, are we still a long shot?
I think ND has no shot. I think only 3 of them really have any shot at the moment.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 PM

S Matthew Langlois committed to LSU, so that ended quickly.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:53 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Wondering how Donovan Edwards feels about joining Michigan after another terrible Wolverine's loss!
Old 11-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
S Matthew Langlois committed to LSU, so that ended quickly.
Does Pelini make it to year 2? Getting justifiably roasted especially with LSU as the road favorite and blown out! I'd stay on the kid until he signs...entirely possible LSU could be the 1st NC winner to follow up with a losing season. GO IRISH!