Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Open Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Tenacious_ND's Avatar
Tenacious_ND Tenacious_ND is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
When did illegal immigrants become "undocumented immigrants"?
I think it was right about the time corporations realized they could get super cheap labor. Those AT&T fiber lines aren't going to install themselves.
__________________
Bless this immunity!

Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #27  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 AM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
I think it was right about the time corporations realized they could get super cheap labor. Those AT&T fiber lines aren't going to install themselves.
Pretty sure itís when Democrats learned that being apologists for illegals doesnít poll well, so they had to rebrand them for more sympathy. But, hey, maybe their position isnít such a bad idea. If we donít believe in borders, maybe we should go take over a cool place like Bora Bora or the Bahamas. I mean with no borders, Iím sure people wonít care where I stick my flag, build a house, and enjoy my life, right? Especially if I work with an entire battalion of US soldiers to claim luxury areas across the globe. No borders!!! Partaaay!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Tenacious_ND's Avatar
Tenacious_ND Tenacious_ND is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Pretty sure itís when Democrats learned that being apologists for illegals doesnít poll well, so they had to rebrand them for more sympathy. But, hey, maybe their position isnít such a bad idea. If we donít believe in borders, maybe we should go take over a cool place like Bora Bora or the Bahamas. I mean with no borders, Iím sure people wonít care where I stick my flag, build a house, and enjoy my life, right? Especially if I work with an entire battalion of US soldiers to claim luxury areas across the globe. No borders!!! Partaaay!!!
I have no problem with them. I say slap them with an EIN at the border pull taxes from them and let them build our infrastructure. We already let china take over the product department.
__________________
Bless this immunity!

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-17-2020, 02:30 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
I have no problem with them. I say slap them with an EIN at the border pull taxes from them and let them build our infrastructure. We already let china take over the product department.
Not a bad idea if they didn't ship all their money back south. I guess we could slap a tax on that, too. Part of the problem is that you can't force them to work, so if you give them and EIN and allow them in, they get all the constitutional rights that afford them our social programs. And, I think that the way the economy is running now, I think the idea works, but what happens when the economy goes in the tank and they're taking jobs from those who were here first? That's kind of the point of legal immigration - to measure how many folks the country can handle economically. If you let everyone in, you may over-saturate.

My pet peeve is when people say that the illegals "do the jobs no one wants." If you don't have a job, you don't have the luxury of sticking your nose in the air and saying you don't want the job. Get your butt off the couch, move, or do whatever and get a job... I don't care if you want it or not. We shouldn't be paying you if there is something available, regardless how crappy it is.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-17-2020, 02:46 PM
ckp160 ckp160 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
My pet peeve is when people say that the illegals "do the jobs no one wants." If you don't have a job, you don't have the luxury of sticking your nose in the air and saying you don't want the job. Get your butt off the couch, move, or do whatever and get a job... I don't care if you want it or not. We shouldn't be paying you if there is something available, regardless how crappy it is
I get what you're saying here, but it's not that simple. I'll give you a personal example. I got laid off for about 6 weeks. When I got laid off, I filed for unemployment. Here in WA State, they go based off your last couple of quarters of earnings for how much you'll make. Like most people with a decent job..... well FORMER decent job..... I maxed out how much I could get. Sounds great, but it's not all that much. You have to apply for 3 jobs a week. There are some rules about that. One of them is that you do NOT have to take any job that pays less than what you made before. It's also kind of weird because there were a million jobs for $15 bucks an hour to drive a forklift in a warehouse, but I would've made LESS money working than if I continued to collect unemployment and look for a job.

The whole experience was an eye-opener about how they could improve the system. Fortunately, my situation was a short term one, and I knew that from the beginning. It was just a matter of time before I was going to get called back. I gained a ton of empathy for people who work hard and lsoe their jobs. It's a miserable experience.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp160 View Post
I get what you're saying here, but it's not that simple. I'll give you a personal example. I got laid off for about 6 weeks. When I got laid off, I filed for unemployment. Here in WA State, they go based off your last couple of quarters of earnings for how much you'll make. Like most people with a decent job..... well FORMER decent job..... I maxed out how much I could get. Sounds great, but it's not all that much. You have to apply for 3 jobs a week. There are some rules about that. One of them is that you do NOT have to take any job that pays less than what you made before. It's also kind of weird because there were a million jobs for $15 bucks an hour to drive a forklift in a warehouse, but I would've made LESS money working than if I continued to collect unemployment and look for a job.

The whole experience was an eye-opener about how they could improve the system. Fortunately, my situation was a short term one, and I knew that from the beginning. It was just a matter of time before I was going to get called back. I gained a ton of empathy for people who work hard and lsoe their jobs. It's a miserable experience.
I see what you're saying, and I had bankruptcy clients that were like that. So, I guess I'm not really talking about that situation. I'm talking more about the folks who permanently sit on their as$es.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 PM
GunSlinger GunSlinger is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,178
Default

The next major terror attack in this country will originate from people who entered this country by illegal means through our southern boarder, and it won't be people of Central or South American descent. It's that simple...but hey let's let everybody in because they're just poor people looking for a better life. I'm all for LEGAL Immigration though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM
Tenacious_ND's Avatar
Tenacious_ND Tenacious_ND is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlinger View Post
The next major terror attack in this country will originate from people who entered this country by illegal means through our southern boarder, and it won't be people of Central or South American descent. It's that simple...but hey let's let everybody in because they're just poor people looking for a better life. I'm all for LEGAL Immigration though.
check the stats, I'm pretty sure Homegrown terrorism is more of a threat.
__________________
Bless this immunity!

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Soko Soko is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
check the stats, I'm pretty sure Homegrown terrorism is more of a threat.
You should define that better. White, domestic, homegrown terrorists.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 PM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko View Post
You should define that better. White, domestic, homegrown terrorists.
Are you saying the majority of US terrorism fits that demographic?

I would like the definition of terrorism defined better. Who's definition?

I've charged people with terrorism before. Prior to and until it was changed post 9-11, Iowa had a terrorism law on the books. We usually applied it to shooting incidents. If a person(s) shot up a neighborhood and multiple properties were struck by gunfire, no one was hurt, and there was no clear indicator of an intended victim, terrorism was applied. The law was amended after 9-11, and now we have a different charge for the above example.

How is terrorism applied. For instance, had he lived, would the Vegas shooter be charged terrorism? I have yet to hear any motivation in the case. Which strikes me as very odd that it pretty much dropped off the map. Wonder why?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Kelly Gruene Kelly Gruene is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko View Post
You should define that better. White, domestic, homegrown terrorists.
Bernie bros?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/u...rs-nevada.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...rters-n1137836

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ter-democrats/

Tonight's debate will be "must see" tv.
Bloomberg will be attacked by Sanders and Warren, and he will do some attacking of his own.
And at the end of the stage, there will be Amy all alone, saying, "What about me?"
Whether you agree or disagree with these candidates, the entertainment value alone will be high.

Last edited by Kelly Gruene; 02-19-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default



Antifa terrorists...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Kelly Gruene Kelly Gruene is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Tonight's debate will be "must see" tv.
Bloomberg will be attacked by Sanders and Warren, and he will do some attacking of his own.
And at the end of the stage, there will be Amy all alone, saying, "What about me?"
Whether you agree or disagree with these candidates, the entertainment value alone will be high.

The debate did NOT disappoint.
And after today, a man who has never been a member of the democratic party, a man who espouses "democratic socialism" but has a strong history of embracing communist leaders and ideas, will take a commanding lead to be the party's nominee for President of the United States. I thought they may have to have a brokered convention in Milwaukee, but once Biden and Buttigieg fall by the wayside on Super Tuesday, Sanders will likely have enough delegates to win the nomination outright.
Bloomberg had an awful debate. He is going to have to do better in upcoming debates if he wants to beat Bernie. I thought Bloomberg's spending on commercials would be enough, but I'm beginning to doubt that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ember-n1139811

Here's a little ditty from the Communist Party USA website: https://www.cpusa.org/article/how-to...he-left-march/
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 PM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
The debate did NOT disappoint.
And after today, a man who has never been a member of the democratic party, a man who espouses "democratic socialism" but has a strong history of embracing communist leaders and ideas, will take a commanding lead to be the party's nominee for President of the United States. I thought they may have to have a brokered convention in Milwaukee, but once Biden and Buttigieg fall by the wayside on Super Tuesday, Sanders will likely have enough delegates to win the nomination outright.
Bloomberg had an awful debate. He is going to have to do better in upcoming debates if he wants to beat Bernie. I thought Bloomberg's spending on commercials would be enough, but I'm beginning to doubt that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ember-n1139811

Here's a little ditty from the Communist Party USA website: https://www.cpusa.org/article/how-to...he-left-march/
Socialists...Milwaukee...I feel a Wayne's World reference coming on strong.

In all seriousness though, even if Bernie wins the delegates state by state he is far from a shoe in for the nomination. Remember the D party that is trying to dismantle the Electoral College in favor of simple majority democracy, has built into their party superdelegates who are beholden to no one and can choose whoever THEY want overruling the will if their own denocratic process. Hypocrits much, I think so.. I have little doubt that these bastions of the D party will find a way to keep Bernie out yet again when the time comes helping to further drive stake into the party.

Its funny how people fail to see how that party is scared of their own talking points and had to enact rules allowing them to maintain control over the mob rule majority. Allowing elections in even the most corrupt places is always acceptable. Its not democracy that needs to be controlled, all that matters is who counts the votes...paraphrasing Stalin.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Socialists...Milwaukee...I feel a Wayne's World reference coming on strong.

In all seriousness though, even if Bernie wins the delegates state by state he is far from a shoe in for the nomination. Remember the D party that is trying to dismantle the Electoral College in favor of simple majority democracy, has built into their party superdelegates who are beholden to no one and can choose whoever THEY want overruling the will if their own denocratic process. Hypocrits much, I think so.. I have little doubt that these bastions of the D party will find a way to keep Bernie out yet again when the time comes helping to further drive stake into the party.

Its funny how people fail to see how that party is scared of their own talking points and had to enact rules allowing them to maintain control over the mob rule majority. Allowing elections in even the most corrupt places is always acceptable. Its not democracy that needs to be controlled, all that matters is who counts the votes...paraphrasing Stalin.
They got rid of superdelegates I thought...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:12 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
They got rid of superdelegates I thought...
Only on first ballet. So unless someone wins outright on first ballet, they come into play
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:29 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Only on first ballet. So unless someone wins outright on first ballet, they come into play
Rock and a hard place for the Dems... If Sanders wins, the moderates stay home or go to Trump. If they steal it from Sanders, his people stay home... Either way, not a good option in an election that will be a nailbiter.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-24-2020, 03:01 AM
Kelly Gruene Kelly Gruene is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Only on first ballet. So unless someone wins outright on first ballet, they come into play
If a candidate gets 1991 delegates on the first ballot, he/she wins the nomination. Delegates are pretty much pledged to a candidate on the first ballot. If no one has 1991 delegates, the gloves come off, the back room horse trading starts, and the super delegates come into play.
So, if Sanders has 1991 delegates committed to him before Milwaukee, he will absolutely be the nominee.
https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_N...nvention,_2020
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-05-2020, 04:07 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,445
Default

Feel relieved Biden is pulling away. Iíll still likely vote Trump, but I can live with Biden winning, assuming he doesnít botch the VP. Safest bet would be Harris or Kloubachar.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:24 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Feel relieved Biden is pulling away. Iíll still likely vote Trump, but I can live with Biden winning, assuming he doesnít botch the VP. Safest bet would be Harris or Kloubachar.
Anybody but Kaine as VP... Jesus... If that guy wasn't straight out of Batman as a villain...and idiotic. A gift from God would be Biden taking Tulsi. I love Tulsi, but Dems HATTTEEEE her... I could see him doing something boneheaded like that.

Whatever VP pick is gonna have to deal with Nicki Haley who is going to eat them alive. She's a professional version of Trump. Can't wait to see Trump's plan play out where Pence has been put in the no-win coronavirus situation, "fails," and is replaced by Haley.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-06-2020, 01:07 AM
Kelly Gruene Kelly Gruene is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Feel relieved Biden is pulling away. I’ll still likely vote Trump, but I can live with Biden winning, assuming he doesn’t botch the VP. Safest bet would be Harris or Kloubachar.
I can’t see him picking Harris. Too many dems hate her record of prosecuting minorities. Klobuchar is too white.
I suspect he’ll pick a woman from Michigan or Pennsylvania or Ohio if he is indeed the nominee. Don’t know enough about politicians in those areas but he needs to carry those states if he wants to beat Trump.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Last Updated: March 27, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.