Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Is unlimited overtimes fair to the kids in college football?

Watching LSU-aTm in the 5th freaking overtime, seeing several kids injured in the 5th OT, just have to wonder if this is ok for amateur kids...

The NFL wonít play this much extra football and theyíre paid to do this stuff.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-25-2018, 05:11 AM
Domer Domain Junior

...6th overtime now...
Old 11-25-2018, 05:18 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I have a son who is a student at A&M.
We are loving every minute of this game.
Fair or not it IS exciting.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:20 AM
Domer Domain All American

18 year olds are considered adults actually, they will be fine. They will remember this the rest of their lives.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Thatís cool.
Glad everyone is having a great time.

But donít tell me the NCAA gives a **** about CTE when this is going on...
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Change the rules. First team gets ball and can only muster a field goal, the other team has to get a TD or lose. Or if first team gets TD and PAT, second team has to go for two if they get TD. Should limit OT to one possession apiece for 99% of games.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Thatís cool.
Glad everyone is having a great time.

But donít tell me the NCAA gives a **** about CTE when this is going on...
Please don't act like these kids are victims. Nobody is making them go to college for free to play football.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I really want to know what reality you are all living in where the bar for the right thing to do is whether or not people are having fun....
Old 11-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Itís mind-boggling that humans still give humans little credit to endurance, stamina, etc
When weíre pushed, you can get the greatest out of us.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I really want to know what reality you are all living in where the bar for the right thing to do is whether or not people are having fun....
When no one is getting hurt, yes, that is a pretty good barometer. Stop treating them like victims. The victim mentality in this country is already "too damn high."

@jesse, I disagree. Majority of the country hates the NFL overtime rules and loves the current college rules for overtime. Whenever you have rules that prevent tie games, something like this will happen eventually. Look at all the chances this game could have ended before the 7th OT, the chances of all that happening is slim to none, but play enough games and it will eventually happen.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
When no one is getting hurt, yes, that is a pretty good barometer. Stop treating them like victims. The victim mentality in this country is already "too damn high."

@jesse, I disagree. Majority of the country hates the NFL overtime rules and loves the current college rules for overtime. Whenever you have rules that prevent tie games, something like this will happen eventually. Look at all the chances this game could have ended before the 7th OT, the chances of all that happening is slim to none, but play enough games and it will eventually happen.
You have got to be over 60 with a comment like that. Do you tell kids with a bone sticking out of their arm to just go rub some dirt on it? You have ZERO idea what is going in on these kids scrambled-egg brains so please don't tell me "no one is getting hurt."

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it. "
Knute Rockne

Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Chris View Post
You have got to be over 60 with a comment like that. Do you tell kids with a bone sticking out of their arm to just go rub some dirt on it? You have ZERO idea what is going in on these kids scrambled-egg brains so please don't tell me "no one is getting hurt."
Actually, I'm 28 and a police officer, I know all about injuries, both physical and mental. So, I can say with confidence, they are not victims here. I deal with the real ****. You never did articulate how they are getting "hurt" either (physically or mentally).
Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm 28 and a police officer, I know all about injuries, both physical and mental. So, I can say with confidence, they are not victims here. I deal with the real ****. You never did articulate how they are getting "hurt" either (physically or mentally).
You dont think football players get hurt in each game? Have you read the studies on CTE and linemen in particular? Now we can all say they signed up for this and no they arent victims but dont tell me that none of them are getting hurt
Old 11-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

If you are going to eliminate 7 OT games for too much play, you need to eliminate the hurry up offense as well then.

LSU faced 90 defensive plays vs A&M.

ND had 2 games where they played more than 90 snaps. 95 vs. Ball St. and 92 vs. Wake Forest.

Wake Forest had 4 games where they ran more than 90 snaps and two where they ran 104+.

So if you are against that much OT, you should be against snapping the ball before 20 on the play clock as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:45 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Maybe we should just bring back the "tie" after 3-4 OT's?

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
You dont think football players get hurt in each game? Have you read the studies on CTE and linemen in particular? Now we can all say they signed up for this and no they arent victims but dont tell me that none of them are getting hurt
I get tired of the CTE issue. And yes i know quite a bit about it and wrote policy about it for my department. I also played Jr High-College. I know zero guys with CTE or suspicions of it. Every player does not have it, the actual numbers will never be known.

If we want to change the OT great. The players who are playing that long and tired could be hurt a number of ways. Heck why not let the kickers do a full fledged shoot out like hockey but require just three guys on the field the snapper, holder, and kicker no one else. Itll put more emphasis on ST and those positions.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
No more risk than playing a pick up game. I guess we should outlaw that too.
The victim mentality is going out of control in America, it's like people wake up in the morning and say to themselves: "how can I be a professional victim today?" or "How can I put another group of people in the victim category?"
Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Watching LSU-aTm in the 5th freaking overtime, seeing several kids injured in the 5th OT, just have to wonder if this is ok for amateur kids...

The NFL wonít play this much extra football and theyíre paid to do this stuff.
Seriously....? It's bad enough we are allowing fair catches on kickoffs to get to the 25. Now you're thinking we should water this down more... Football is a gladiator sport and it should stay that way. You get injured. It's what you signed up for. I still disagree with the way targeting penalties are administered. If the QB gets killed, the OLine should be penalized. If a receiver gets killed, the QB should be penalized. The defense is simply doing its job. If you don't want to risk the injuries, don't play. We have soccer for that... This weak d*ck sh*t is getting old... People need to grow a pair.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
No more risk than playing a pick up game. I guess we should outlaw that too.
The victim mentality is going out of control in America, it's like people wake up in the morning and say to themselves: "how can I be a professional victim today?" or "How can I put another group of people in the victim category?"
I wish we had "Like" buttons on this forum. It's a fairly simple code adjustment to add it these days. I would heart this one.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Aww 28. Youíre in the prime of your life so I understand your perspective, but your thinking is outdated. The studies in brain trauma are abundant and real. You said in another post on this thread that itís ďno more risk than playing a pick-up gameĒ. That discounts all the practice you have throughout the week banging heads and getting slammed around.
And they are getting hurt both mentally and physically. Iím not asking for a ban on football but this aww schucks heís fine attitude is bullsh!t.

Knute Rockne

Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Aww 28. Youíre in the prime of your life so I understand your perspective, but your thinking is outdated. The studies in brain trauma are abundant and real. You said in another post on this thread that itís ďno more risk than playing a pick-up gameĒ. That discounts all the practice you have throughout the week banging heads and getting slammed around.
And they are getting hurt both mentally and physically. Iím not asking for a ban on football but this aww schucks heís fine attitude is bullsh!t.
I agree with your point, but how is 90+ plays is 7 OT any different than 90+ plays in regulation? 7 OT is probably actually better as there are fewer plays run under conditions of prior play fatigue.

I just don't see OT as any different than hurry up offense. If you are against one, you are against the other and I'm not sure how you take hurry up out of football.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
I agree with your point, but how is 90+ plays is 7 OT any different than 90+ plays in regulation? 7 OT is probably actually better as there are fewer plays run under conditions of prior play fatigue.

I just don't see OT as any different than hurry up offense. If you are against one, you are against the other and I'm not sure how you take hurry up out of football.
The most obvious issue I have with unlimited overtimes is the time factor involved. Now you're going longer than probably any games these kids have ever played in their lives. Not only do you have physical fatigue, but not you're combatting mental fatigue. Techniques and fundamentals get sloppy, and then somebody goes and gets hurt.
Rarely ever happens that someone gets hurt and I'm glad to say that's the truth, but I think that with what we know today it is irresponsible. We've also only scraped the surface on the unseen cumulative effects of hit after hit after hit on a kid's brain.

Knute Rockne

Old 11-30-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The most obvious issue I have with unlimited overtimes is the time factor involved. Now you're going longer than probably any games these kids have ever played in their lives. Not only do you have physical fatigue, but not you're combatting mental fatigue. Techniques and fundamentals get sloppy, and then somebody goes and gets hurt.
Rarely ever happens that someone gets hurt and I'm glad to say that's the truth, but I think that with what we know today it is irresponsible. We've also only scraped the surface on the unseen cumulative effects of hit after hit after hit on a kid's brain.
Then they should quit football. Jaylon Smith never played in 7OT and almost had a career ending injury. The point is the injuries are rare, but they are part of the game, just like any other sport. Sure, there are unknown brain issues, but that was an issue before 7OT was a thing and removing it will not make it any better. 7OT is as dangerous to the football player as the next game because more football gives the player more chances of injuries. The longer I walk, the more chances I have of injury.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Screw the studies on brain trauma. At this point, players are aware. Now, they have a choice. Play or donít play, knowing the full extent of the risks. They donít have to llay. They can accept their sh*tty lives or they can choose to play, make millions, and create a better life for thier kids. Either way, its a choice. They should be accountable to both the benfits AND risks of playing. Atop making everything so gay.