Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Book has got to play better than that

There is no way we're going to win a playoff game with Book playing like that. Our defense is good, but we'll be facing a very good offense and great QB's. If Book doesn't play great it will be one and out.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-25-2018, 04:39 AM
Domer Domain Junior

True, but letís step back & examine how this team got to this point as well as who stepped up this season & all the changes thatíve come about. We are sitting undefeated & thereís a lot of work needed. A playoff loss is not a disaster, imo (unless a blowout )

Iím extremely excited about the next couple seasons & state of the program
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Book's 2 runs were clutch as hell.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Domer Domain Junior

IMO he had one really bad play, the INT. Otherwise he made very clutch plays when we needed them on those tough runs for first downs. I have no qualms with his performance tonight, moreso the play calls but that's my usual issue.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
IMO he had one really bad play, the INT. Otherwise he made very clutch plays when we needed them on those tough runs for first downs. I have no qualms with his performance tonight, moreso the play calls but that's my usual issue.
The miss to Finke was huge, too - but I have no issue overall with his play tonight.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:52 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Yeah. Book was bad worst game. Overthrew wide open receivers and was awful with placement on out routes. That will not cut it against Bama. He looked bad tonight. Overall the team looked bad. We are fortunate to move move on but may be a 4 seed now as 5hey already threw it out there at game end. Gotta be better than that
Old 11-25-2018, 04:52 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We will have lots of time to get healthy and work out kinks.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
The miss to Finke was huge, too - but I have no issue overall with his play tonight.
I don't know if there's still some residual issues with his injury or not. He wasn't throwing great at times, quite a few on his back foot and not stepping into the throw and letting it rip if you know what I mean. It wasn't all because of SC pressure either.

Now he's got a month plus of prep and healing to get better hopefully.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

He definitely missed some throws. The one to Finke for the TD was terrible. But he made clutch throws too so I give him credit. He won. Thatís all that matters. Now we have 5 weeks to prepare for Clemson.

So happy right now!!!!!

Go Irish!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Missed throws happen. What I do have a problem with was that throw at the end there and his game control in the first quarter. We needed him to get a few first downs and keep the defense off the field for a few mins. Thankfully, he eventually settled in. He also gets confused at times with blitzes still. But got better with that at the end of the game too.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Domer Domain All American

One play where I think Book showed his toughness and smart is when he was scrambling on like 3rd and 12. He was running for the first down, and saw the corner coming to tackle him. He had the presence of mind to setup his legs to get leverage so that he can take the hit but still gain forward momentum for the first down
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

The o line sucks. Really. Everyone knows how to beat us and they do it every week. We have elevated defenses all year.

We canít run at all to make a short and 3rd down (or 4th down) or short and goal.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I believe Book just wasn't use to being pressured like that. He did have too many overthrows as well as underthrows but give USC credit for keeping the heat on.

The OL's blocking was not up to recent standards either passing or running, that played a part. Also, USC was stacking the line against the inside runs a good part of the game, I was yelling at the TV to spread them out some and use the pass to set up the run.

On top of that, USC is still a talented team and this was basically their Super Bowl. They were playing with fire/energy and it showed. Knocking a hated rival out at home would have capped off what had to be a disappointing season for them.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

that 3rd and 12 when he ran was the turning point in the game...

and on we went.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

It's not Book. The O line needs to step up. ND needs to be able to run the ball consistently.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Convert View Post
I believe Book just wasn't use to being pressured like that. He did have too many overthrows as well as underthrows but give USC credit for keeping the heat on.

The OL's blocking was not up to recent standards either passing or running, that played a part. Also, USC was stacking the line against the inside runs a good part of the game, I was yelling at the TV to spread them out some and use the pass to set up the run.

On top of that, USC is still a talented team and this was basically their Super Bowl. They were playing with fire/energy and it showed. Knocking a hated rival out at home would have capped off what had to be a disappointing season for them.
Agreed.. they were playing for bowl eligibility, too.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
Agreed.. they were playing for bowl eligibility, too.
Yep. One thing lost in all this is ND successfully knocked them out of that too. I think I heard it would only be the second or third time they haven't been bowl eligible in the last twenty years.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Now that iím sober, iíll come back to this

ďBook needs to get betterĒ
True. Heís a college player who was not the starter going into the season. He also had an additional game off due to a rib injury. Iíd venture to say that most forums say the same thing about their QB, but I donít want to generically dump him into this category & make him average. With the madness lf the QB position vs the talent we were bringing in, itís nice to see Book performing the way he is. His completion rate is amazing. Putting him in a playcalls that match his style of throwing is the key. As long as he progresses in this & pushes himself for more accuracy on slightly deeper routes & can raise the percentage of completions on deeper routes, iím ok with knowing heíll be that much better next season. If he progresses ovee the next month & comes out looking great in the CFP, even better.

I donít think itís a matter of knowing he needs to get better. The real topic is, how much better can he get? Itís obvious that he can pick up a good amount of yards on his feet & slice defís apart with short throws. Itís also obvious that the young man is a true warrior on the field with tuffness & grit.

What is his ceiling? Thatís what I want to know. What are the WRís going to do in THEIR progression to help him? When will ND start utilizing TEís again? What will the O-line look like in a month? What will they look like next season?

Iím pretty optimistic
Old 11-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Domer Domain All American

From what I saw, he was running for his life most of the night. He finally got some time to step up and into throws and that's when he looked his best. The middle of the pocket got pushed back a lot and he had nowhere to step up and throw. Then he panicked a few times and bailed too early, anticipating a hit because he had already dropped back for 4 seconds.
If our O line gets pushed around by Clemson or Bama then that will effect us badly. U$C has some legit athletes on their D line, but they're also missing their best pass rusher. Clemson and Bama will make us wish we were playing the Condoms again. And yes I am saying Bama because I am fully expecting the playoff committee to drop us to #4 in two weeks should Ohio St. go out and beat Northwestern by 40!!

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it. "
Knute Rockne

Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Chris View Post
From what I saw, he was running for his life most of the night. He finally got some time to step up and into throws and that's when he looked his best. The middle of the pocket got pushed back a lot and he had nowhere to step up and throw. Then he panicked a few times and bailed too early, anticipating a hit because he had already dropped back for 4 seconds.
If our O line gets pushed around by Clemson or Bama then that will effect us badly. U$C has some legit athletes on their D line, but they're also missing their best pass rusher. Clemson and Bama will make us wish we were playing the Condoms again. And yes I am saying Bama because I am fully expecting the playoff committee to drop us to #4 in two weeks should Ohio St. go out and beat Northwestern by 40!!
USC was pressuring Book because they were blitzing a linebacker and a safety a lot, which is why the adjustment to throwing the ball to the running backs was key. They gambled and we took too long to adjust. We should have burned them way earlier.

It will be interesting to see, if Clemson/Bama rush 4, how our OL will do. The strategy would be for their cornerbacks to sit on the short routes and make Book beat them deep.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Domer Domain Junior

While not an ideal game, it is nice to see them win a "clunker" game with book.

My hope is that they were spent after Cuse and now have time to rest, prepare and get focused again.

This point of the seasom (look at LSU, WSU Mich), a win is a win.