Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default BK says Kizer not ready

Notre Dame HC @CoachBrianKelly: DeShone Kizer should still be in college. Needs more time to grow on & off field. He isn't complete yet.

Said it on radio. What ya'll think.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post
Notre Dame HC @CoachBrianKelly: DeShone Kizer should still be in college. Needs more time to grow on & off field. He isn't complete yet.

I think he's shown that he knows nothing about quarterbacks...
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The eND View Post

I think it's a little too late to say that, and why would you say that now?

I hope this isn't his subconscious saying that we need Kizer because Wimbush isn't ready. Everybody and their mother knew by the time we played Nevada that Kizer and Zaire were gone. Wimbush should have been the back up last year--not Malik.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Old 04-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Even though the remark is totally self-serving , and Kelly has been very disappointed since he made him captain as a sad ploy to keep him here-- nonetheless there probably is some truth to that view....

Unfortunately Kelly wasn't sure he was ready to start for ND last year and his lack of confidence in Kizer clearly played a big part in his decision to move on to other coaching....

Kelly RECRUITS some very good talent at QB no doubt ---but there also is little doubt he has MISHANDLED NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEM!!

aloha
Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Even though the remark is totally self-serving , and Kelly has been very disappointed since he made him captain as a sad ploy to keep him here-- nonetheless there probably is some truth to that view....

Unfortunately Kelly wasn't sure he was ready to start for ND last year and his lack of confidence in Kizer clearly played a big part in his decision to move on to other coaching....

Kelly RECRUITS some very good talent at QB no doubt ---but there also is little doubt he has MISHANDLED NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEM!!

aloha
I thought Kizer was Kelly's guy all along last season. He just had to do the dog and pony show with Malik.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
I think he's shown that he knows nothing about quarterbacks...
I don't know about that. Kelly seems to like tall, pocket Qb's that have some mobility. If he misses on that guy then his back up plan is an athlete with an arm. You can trace this back to Bubba and Golson.

You're not gonna find many coaches that churn out stud qb's year after year. Saban's qb's aren't crushing it in the NFL and neither is urban's.

Golson didn't finally "get it" under Jimbo Fisher. Kiel couldn't stave off mid major talent at UC, and Crist was Crist. Barnett has left Bama looking for a place he can compete, and malik is apparently looking for a place with little competition.

Kelly has done alright with quarterbacks. Sure winds up breaking them in the end but he holds his own with those other guys.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU

I mean, he's right. I don't know how you could watch him last season and think he's ready for the NFL. That said, I don't think anyone in the NFL thinks he's ready either, so that wouldn't prevent him from going high in the draft.

I don't know how you approach that if you're Kelly, because that comment comes off like he's attacking Kizer for leaving. But if you're Kelly, you also want to be honest with NFL teams, because they'll come to value your honesty when evaluating ND players and that could help out kids in future classes.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Alabama for example is a team built around defense and lineman generally----

ND under BK is built around the QB and Kelly has had some good ones but how many times are QBs pulled for the guy behind them.....how many times are QBs put back under duress.....

Rees for Golson --Golson for Rees---Hendrix for Rees --Kiel just moved to the side----Zaire for Golson- Golson for Zaire --Kizer for Zaire--Zaire for Kizer .....and back and forth ad naseum.

When the HEART of your offensive philosophy is rooted to QB production and yet there is so often uncertainty and lack of commitment to "the guy", an uncertainty that can last an entire season, that is simply not the way to run the QB position IMO.

aloha

Last edited by hawaiiirish; 04-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Not that I'm what you would call a BK fan but I believe he's right in this instance. I think Kizer needed some more "seasoning" but hey, it's his life not mine.

If I had to count the number of players that should have stayed in college one more year over time on my fingers, I would need around thirty more hands than I have.

Good luck to DK.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Kizer should not have come back. Kelly would have ruined him. Kizer got the heck away from Kelly as soon as he could.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Kelly is probably right but I also don't know what he gains from saying this. Kelly would benefit from being able to tell recruits he got Kizer drafted in the first round but I guess he's trying to get ahead of any backlash about Kizer not being successful.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Alabama for example is a team built around defense and lineman generally----

ND under BK is built around the QB and Kelly has had some good ones but how many times are QBs pulled for the guy behind them.....how many times are QBs put back under duress.....

Rees for Golson --Golson for Rees---Hendrix for Rees --Kiel just moved to the side----Zaire for Golson- Golson for Zaire --Kizer for Zaire--Zaire for Kizer .....and back and forth ad naseum.

When the HEART of your offensive philosophy is rooted to QB production and yet there is so often uncertainty and lack of commitment to "the guy", an uncertainty that can last an entire season, that is simply not the way to run the QB position IMO.

aloha
I kinda disagree with all of this ^.

Alabama is built around whatever they want. They just have more talent then anyone and can bully them.

How many good quarterbacks have Kelly had? The ones that left didn't turn out any better. I blame BK for putting too much on them at times but that's about it. I'm all for benching a kid who's not playing well. No one should get too comfortable. Quite often it helps get the head back into it if they have a moment to get a different perspective.

Back to Kizer. I hate how these kids get praised during the season then the closer they get to the draft they become bums. I watch how these 5 star can't miss QB's out of high school are WR's and TE's in the NFL's eyes by the time they are seniors in college.

It's funny how the NBA will trade their whole roster for an unfinished prospect and NFL trade down instead of taking an All American.

Hearing conflicting reports about Wimbush and wonder if that has anything to do with BK's comments.

Last edited by davislove; 04-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davislove View Post
Back to Kizer. I hate how these kids get praised during the season then the closer they get to the draft they become bums. I watch how these 5 star can't miss QB's out of high school are WR's and TE's in the NFL's eyes by the time they are seniors in college.

It's funny how the NBA will trade their whole roster for an unfinished prospect and NFL trade down instead of taking an All American.
Look at Deshaun Watson. He could not have done much more to be successful in his career at Clemson and he's getting knocked left and right while people are hyping up something called Mitch Trubisky who couldn't beat out noted luminaries at the QB position for UNC.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Who cares what Kelly says, anyone with half a brain can see that boy is not ready for the NFL.....

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfschellcrna View Post
Who cares what Kelly says, anyone with half a brain can see that boy is not ready for the NFL.....
Whether or not he is ready doesn't really have any bearing on these comments. Kelly has nothing to gain from saying it, and it can really only hurt him. Cardale Jones was even less ready than Kizer and Urban didn't rip him to the media. It makes Kelly look petty and bad.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Typical Kelly trash. I dont care if its true you dont say this publicly. "Hes the most talented QB I've ever coached at ND and I cant wait for him to develop and mature on the NFL level" is also true and more suitable to say publicly for a guy projected to go in the 1st round notwithstanding your bullshit program, development and coaching. Hes going first round on natural ability alone.

And hes a redshirt junior. If hee not ready its because you are an awful coach.

Last edited by PJackson'sDred15; 04-04-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I agree with the last sentiments----no matter what the merit is , saying that publically just before the draft is kind of so " on the nose " nasty its comical.

aloha
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...raft/99490970/

Ive had a number of conversations with GMs and coaches about DeShone, and my personal feeling is he has the biggest upside of all the quarterbacks, Kelly said. I dont know that hes prepared to come in and win a Super Bowl for you (immediately). Some may feel as though maybe one of the other quarterbacks are, I dont know that firsthand. But I think in time, he has the biggest upside of all the three quarterbacks.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Junior

A couple of things.

1. He wants the best for Kizer. He wants him to get into a system that will allow him to mature.

2. 9/10 drafted QB's are not NFL ready and need 1 or 2 years to get used to speed, work on fundamentals, etc.

3. Kelly wants NFL to respect ND and how it transitions players to NFL.

I agree that 2 years of good coaching will get Kizer to be at least respectable QB. He needs to work on accuracy and speed of game. He has "pocket presence" but sometimes needs collapses in decisions making when the pocket collapses. The NFL is so much faster that he needs time to recalibrate.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

What Bk is trying to do is get Dk in a better position to win. If DK gets drafted top 10, he will be a draft bust cause those teams are bad. not to say he won't bust anyway, but the probability of him being a bust is higher. DK has a lot to work on as do all these qb's. But if he gets in a better situation where he can sit for a couple of years, he will be better for it. That is really what he is trying to say.

Another thing, when did speaking the truth become a bad thing? I see a lot of people make a big deal out of him saying that. I guess if he went 13-1 it wouldn't be a problem?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I remember Carroll doing the same thing to Mark Sanchez when he left early. Just comes off as petty to me-I don't see what you gain by doing this.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDUB View Post
I remember Carroll doing the same thing to Mark Sanchez when he left early. Just comes off as petty to me-I don't see what you gain by doing this.
look how he turned out..............

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfschellcrna View Post
Exactly. It's petulant and immature from a coach who pretends to know more than anyone else. No reason to. Comment now this close to the draft? He continues to exhibit the attitude and personality of the coach I wish had moved on by now.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:47 PM

I think everyone is reading too much into this. I don't think he is setting up Kizer to not go to a dumpster fire like the Browns.

Everyone knows none of these guys are ready but that won't stop them from getting drafted high. Sure he shouldn't have said it or should have atleast said it a different way. He was just speaking his mind and we all know Kelly has no filter.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM

Why is everyone getting on Kelly when there was a thread not too long ago where everyone was basically agreeing with him?

To those people wondering why he's saying that now. Perhaps because the radio host asked him and he gave an honest answer