Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Agree or Disagree

Coaches Talk Anonymously About Notre Dame for 2017
By Athlon Sports, 8/2/17, 9:00 AM EDT
Coaches dish on Notre Dame for 2017.

It's not easy getting college football coaches to honestly comment on another coach, player or team. Most coaches don't want to give opposing teams billboard material, which is why there is a lot of coach speak or overused cliches used throughout the offseason or regular season.

In order to get an accurate assessment of teams heading into 2017, Athlon asked coaches around the nation to talk anonymously about their opponents.

Note: These scouting reports come directly from coaching staffs and do not necessarily reflect the views of Athlon's editorial staff.

COACHES ANONYMOUSLY SCOUT NOTRE DAME FOR 2017

ďYouíll have a lot of first-year hires coaching to save their bossí job." .

"Offensively itís Brian Kellyís show, but thereís a lot of debate if thatís the right move going forward."

"When theyíre good Kelly has a staff that blends with him well. When he struggles, the staff is not on the same page. The players donít play with confidence, and he gets frustrated. You could see that disconnect with their defense especially."

"If Kelly and Chip Long can get along well and Chip can understand itís still Brianís offense and understand he will come in at the last minute and change the game plans up to fit his style, it could work. Youíre a co-OC at best there."

"Mike Elko is a great hire for them. Just blow up the 4-3 (Brian) VanGorder ran and show new looks in Week 1."

"We havenít seen Notre Dame dominate recruiting like some think they still should, but this was a good football team in bad situations last season. Theyíve been changing their message up on the recruiting trail to compensate."

"The fallout from 2017 is now youíre installing new schemes on both sides and asking the kid (Brandon Wimbush) to be a first-year savior."

"Thereís talent all over this team on offense, look at a player like Alize Mack."

"Things got stale last season. From the outside it looked a lot like a NFL attitude on their sideline for the last couple seasons. That canít work with 18-year-olds. Their systems broke down, but theyíre not broken.Ē
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Domer Domain All American

It sounds about right. There was problems with the coaching staff last year, that much was obvious. I don't think this will be chip longs offense. BK said as much in the spring. Some of it will but Kelly is not going away.

FaithInIrishForever--March 21, 2017
Old 08-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

they could have just read DD for the same quotes

how often do we talk about Elko as a good hire

how often we like chip long but constantly wonder and debate if Kelly can really delegate enough of the offense

how often do we talk about the talent on offense including mack

how often do we worry that coaching chemistry and competence cost us before and may very well still even with new hires

It is what it is

One thing ND is NOT after last season is an ENIGMA

Anyone keeping an eye on this program knows what is potentially good and what our issues are not much subtlety to our situation

aloha
Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

"We haven’t seen Notre Dame dominate recruiting like some think they still should..."

I agree, and still think they should be top 10 at least every year, but would prefer top 1-5

Last edited by case29; 08-05-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: they should get at least get top 5
Old 08-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by case29 View Post
"We havenít seen Notre Dame dominate recruiting like some think they still should..."

I agree, and still think they should be top 10 at least every year, but would prefer top 1-5
ND has not consistently brought in top 5 classes in years. I don't understand the original quote. Why does anyone feel ND should still dominate in recruiting?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
ND has not consistently brought in top 5 classes in years. I don't understand the original quote. Why does anyone feel ND should still dominate in recruiting?
Because they are the biggest name in college football. They would dominate if they could get a big name coach here. But that has always been a problem.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
Since this was college football coaches talking, I would presume "some" in the context of the quote meant other college football coaches. Maybe some college football coaches think ND still has a lot to offer and should be recruiting better.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Since this was college football coaches talking, I would presume "some" in the context of the quote meant other college football coaches. Maybe some college football coaches think ND still has a lot to offer and should be recruiting better.
I understand where the original poster said the info came from and my question was mostly rhetorical. There is no reason to think ND should DOMINATE recruiting in 21st century college football. Given the restrictions ND has in place they will never be able to recruit the way Bama and Ohio St are now, how USC did before them, and Miami, Fla before them, etc.

For anyone especially a coach to say they should dominate recruiting simply because of their name is pretty stupid.