Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Cool Burrow Complete QB

I don't remember in my life watching a more complete QB than Joe Burrow. Not just being able to accurately throw it downfield but his ability to run fast enough to escape pressure, sidestep in the pocket, vision to cut, and just pure moxie to beat the opposing team across the line. He's just the right amount of cocky for me. Loved his cigar moment.

Reminds me of Tommy the GUN Rees.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Domer Domain All American

Accuracy and ability to navigate the pocket are elite. People want to give Joe Brady all the credit but that right there is all Burrow. Kid must have worked his butt off in the off-season.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Amazing to compare his 2018 stats to his 2019 stats:

219 for 379 (57.8%), 2894 yards, 7.6 yards/attempt, 16 TD, 5 INT, 133.2 RTG

402 for 527 (76.3%), 5671 yards, 10.8 yards/attempt, 60 TD, 6 INT, 202.0 RTG
Old 01-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I shouldnít crap on this guy. Heís seems genuine and has been very elite. But I have my doubts based on passed qbís in similar situations who have miserably at the next level. Russell, Leinart, Barkley, Sanchez, etc. Also, he tends to throw a ton of jump ball style passes and lets his bigger more athletic wife receivers go get it. BUT, not everyone can do that so maybe he has a chance. His accuracy does seem off the charts. He has definitely earned that #1 pick and a lot of money to go with it!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Amazing to compare his 2018 stats to his 2019 stats:

219 for 379 (57.8%), 2894 yards, 7.6 yards/attempt, 16 TD, 5 INT, 133.2 RTG

402 for 527 (76.3%), 5671 yards, 10.8 yards/attempt, 60 TD, 6 INT, 202.0 RTG
Not sure where you dug those stats up. Do you have Carson Palmer stats from his junior to senior year? Just wondering how close they are
Old 01-14-2020, 03:55 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Not sure where you dug those stats up. Do you have Carson Palmer stats from his junior to senior year? Just wondering how close they are
Not really close.

Palmer went from at 124 Jr rating to a 149.1 as a senior. 13 TD to 30. 12 INT to 10. 58.6% to 63.2.

I know that was a different era, but that doesn't scream #1 pick to me.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Should have included the link:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-burrow-1.html
Old 01-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

I hope the Bengals can build some type of OL. A few months ago there was no way I wouldnít draft Young #1, no I think youíve got to take Burrow.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

And I hate saying that bc I like Andy Dalton a lot and I donít think heís to blame for the Bengalsí issues. However, Burrow looks like an elite QB, and thatís not something you can pass over.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Burrow

The announcers kept talking about coaches kept passing up the two star QB. Most coaches had him pegged as a LB or DE.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDuck View Post
The announcers kept talking about coaches kept passing up the two star QB. Most coaches had him pegged as a LB or DE.
I donít know what service theyíre referencing, but he was a solid 3* borderline 4*
Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
I donít know what service theyíre referencing, but he was a solid 3* borderline 4*
Herbstreit said he was a 2-star recruit yesterday which was completely false. Not sure where that narrative came from.

247 Composite: 4-star, #280 overall, #8 dual QB

247: 4-star, #210 overall, #7 dual QB

Rivals: 3-star, #24 dual QB

ESPN: 4-star, #298 overall, #9 dual QB

Still, it's not like he was a can't-miss prospect or a huge recruit. His Power 5 offers were: Boston College, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, NC State, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia. It makes it even more impressive what he did this year - he deserves credit for his improvement, but Joe Brady also deserves a ton of credit as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:50 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Yep, composit 247 had him as a four star. He was no slouch coming out of HS, though he wasn't as ballyhooed as some of OSU's other QB's.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Joe Burrow's final season statline:

402-for-527 (76.3%), 5,671 passing yds, 60 TDs, 6 INTs, 4 rush TDs.

- Record 60 passing TDs
- Record 65 total TDs
- 2nd-best completion percentage ever
- 3rd most passing yards ever
- Over 6,000 total yards
- Beat 7 top-10 teams
- Heisman
- National Title

Insane.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
Joe Burrow's final season statline:

402-for-527 (76.3%), 5,671 passing yds, 60 TDs, 6 INTs, 4 rush TDs.

- Record 60 passing TDs
- Record 65 total TDs
- 2nd-best completion percentage ever
- 3rd most passing yards ever
- Over 6,000 total yards
- Beat 7 top-10 teams
- Heisman
- National Title

Insane.
That's nothing. You should have seen the stats I used to put up on NCAA football.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Herbstreit said he was a 2-star recruit yesterday which was completely false. Not sure where that narrative came from.

247 Composite: 4-star, #280 overall, #8 dual QB

247: 4-star, #210 overall, #7 dual QB

Rivals: 3-star, #24 dual QB

ESPN: 4-star, #298 overall, #9 dual QB

Still, it's not like he was a can't-miss prospect or a huge recruit. His Power 5 offers were: Boston College, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, NC State, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia. It makes it even more impressive what he did this year - he deserves credit for his improvement, but Joe Brady also deserves a ton of credit as well.
In no way does it diminish what he did this year. You wouldnít expect this kind of production from any college QB, ever.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 PM
Domer Domain All American

But he was seen as a game-manager last year at best. It is funny how drastic the change has been this year for him.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
But he was seen as a game-manager last year at best. It is funny how drastic the change has been this year for him.
Itís remarkable, my point is you canít really expect any QB to make a comparable jump next year. There will certainly be guys that raise their level of play substantially, but Burrow had the best statistical passing season of any QB in the history of CF.

Whatís crazy is he almost went to Cincy bc of his ties to Luke Fickell. How different would this season have been if he hadnít been at LSU?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:51 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
Could what the New OC did for Burrow correlate to what Rees can do with Book next year?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:05 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Could what the New OC did for Burrow correlate to what Rees can do with Book next year?
Book has a low ceiling imo
Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Two different sets of players, coaches, schemes, etc. I am speculating, but the time put in by Burrows with the QB/OC and the system for teaching it helped a lot in the off season. Rees doesn't have that methodology for teaching/coaching a system and scheme, yet. This is why I think it's a bit of a mistake for his career not branching out and learning from other coaches and systems more.

I didn't watch Burrow last season, and saw him a few times this year. I was impressed by his poise though, never appears to be out of control or in over his head. Calm, cool, and collected with a cockiness vibe. That's not Book like it or not. Burrows flows well in the pocket and will hold the ball til the last second and get it to a WR, so good vision in his offense too. One play in particular really stood out to me and really made me long for this in our QB. It was a short pass over the middle for a TD. Burrow stayed right in the pocket, and could clearly see the WR that he wanted over the OL. His pass had a downward trajectory over the line that only his WR could get. When was the last time ND had a tall QB who could do that, Kizer maybe and before him Clausen? Lastly Burrow has a deep ball that will keep defenses honest, and has really good WR's to throw to.

Oops, one more thing. I know LSU has really good talent and we need to step up our recruiting obviously. But you could tell this team was battle tested against good teams all season long with their schedule. I'm not saying we need to load up with heavyweights every week. However our scheduling has been seriously lacking for some time. I know SC is so-so, but they play us tough like an archrival should. Iron sharpens iron, and good competition really makes the team better.

Last edited by jessemoore97; 01-16-2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
To that extent? No. TBH, Bookís overall numbers are pretty damn good. What he needs to make the most improvement in is pocket awareness. He canít fall back into the habit from earlier this yr where heís constantly shuffling his feet around in the pocket and getting flustered if his first read isnít open.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Two different sets of players, coaches, schemes, etc. I am speculating, but the time put in by Burrows with the QB/OC and the system for teaching it helped a lot in the off season. Rees doesn't have that methodology for teaching/coaching a system and scheme, yet. This is why I think it's a bit of a mistake for his career not branching out and learning from other coaches and systems more.

I didn't watch Burrow last season, and saw him a few times this year. I was impressed by his poise though, never appears to be out of control or in over his head. Calm, cool, and collected with a cockiness vibe. That's not Book like it or not. Burrows flows well in the pocket and will hold the ball til the last second and get it to a WR, so good vision in his offense too. One play in particular really stood out to me and really made me long for this in our QB. It was a short pass over the middle for a TD. Burrow stayed right in the pocket, and could clearly see the WR that he wanted over the OL. His pass had a downward trajectory over the line that only his WR could get. When was the last time ND had a tall QB who could do that, Kizer maybe and before him Clausen? Lastly Burrow has a deep ball that will keep defenses honest, and has really good WR's to throw to.

Oops, one more thing. I know LSU has really good talent and we need to step up our recruiting obviously. But you could tell this team was battle tested against good teams all season long with their schedule. I'm not saying we need to load up with heavyweights every week. However our scheduling has been seriously lacking for some time. I know SC is so-so, but they play us tough like an archrival should. Iron sharpens iron, and good competition really makes the team better.
Yeah, why canít ND recruit like LSU?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

Iím partially joking. OBJ is a dikhead
Old 01-16-2020, 04:40 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
To that extent? No. TBH, Book’s overall numbers are pretty damn good. What he needs to make the most improvement in is pocket awareness. He can’t fall back into the habit from earlier this yr where he’s constantly shuffling his feet around in the pocket and getting flustered if his first read isn’t open.
I'm not sure I'd call them "pretty damn good". They're OK, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

63rd in completion %.
35th in yards.
52nd in yards per attempt.
6th in TD.
26th in INT.
24th in rating.

I know every offense is a little different, but Book had a number of TD "passes" this year that were glorified handoffs, so it all balances out.

He comes in above average, but there is still a big hill to climb to get to where ND needs him to be.

Can he make that jump in his 3rd year? I guess we will find out, not too many guys get to start for 3 seasons, so he should have all of the experience he needs to be great next year.

As an FYI, the 4 playoff QB's this year were rate 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 8th in QB rating. Last year they were 1st, 2nd, 12th and 17th. 2018 was 1st, 8th, 20th and 60th (Kelly Bryant, who Dabo later benched and who was blown out in the playoff.) That's the bar, minimum top 20, but top 10 is more likely..

Last edited by corysold; 01-16-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
I'm not sure I'd call them "pretty damn good". They're OK, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

63rd in completion %.
35th in yards.
52nd in yards per attempt.
6th in TD.
26th in INT.
24th in rating.

I know every offense is a little different, but Book had a number of TD "passes" this year that were glorified handoffs, so it all balances out.

He comes in above average, but there is still a big hill to climb to get to where ND needs him to be.

Can he make that jump in his 3rd year? I guess we will find out, not too many guys get to start for 3 seasons, so he should have all of the experience he needs to be great next year.

As an FYI, the 4 playoff QB's this year were rate 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 8th in QB rating. Last year they were 1st, 2nd, 12th and 17th. 2018 was 1st, 8th, 20th and 60th (Kelly Bryant, who Dabo later benched and who was blown out in the playoff.) That's the bar, minimum top 20, but top 10 is more likely..
At the very highest level, 35 TDs/7 Ints is pretty damn good. Obviously, not all TDs are created =. He wasnít very good vs UGA and sucked vs Michigan. He needs to play better vs better competition and that starts with staying poised in the pocket