Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 10:40 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default BK on Book to Ben

PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS!

As Kelly would say here as Option 1 and Option 2 are covered, Ian resets, Ben follows scramble drill rules and they make a TD pass out of BC's perfect coverage

Credit to the OL for giving Book like 5 seconds and Book for knowing the play so well and Ben for realizing that Book was on the Move and running with him.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-16-2020, 10:52 PM

Plays like this, and the two passes to Davis against Clemson show where Book is making big improvements. Heís maneuvering in the pocket with eyes downfield, looking to pass instead of putting his head down and running.

When you look at his record, what he does in the run game and his lack of turnovers, heís probably the bet qb weíve had under BK. Funny considering all the flack he gets (me included) but heís grown on me this year.

Regardless, the qb coaching needs to get better. The position has held this program back for the last 4 years.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:04 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Plays like this, and the two passes to Davis against Clemson show where Book is making big improvements. Heís maneuvering in the pocket with eyes downfield, looking to pass instead of putting his head down and running.

When you look at his record, what he does in the run game and his lack of turnovers, heís probably the bet qb weíve had under BK. Funny considering all the flack he gets (me included) but heís grown on me this year.

Regardless, the qb coaching needs to get better. The position has held this program back for the last 4 years.
He is night and day from earlier in the year. Seems like the light bulb has gone off and he is playing at an elite level now
Old 11-19-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
He is night and day from earlier in the year. Seems like the light bulb has gone off and he is playing at an elite level now
He's playing at a better level. Still not sure if I'd call it elite when I see him double pump obvious throws...questioning whether he should make it or not. I'm still not confident he misses open guys or appropriate reads like he has for so often, either. Nonetheless, however, I do think he's playing better.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:50 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
He's playing at a better level. Still not sure if I'd call it elite when I see him double pump obvious throws...questioning whether he should make it or not. I'm still not confident he misses open guys or appropriate reads like he has for so often, either. Nonetheless, however, I do think he's playing better.
Totally agree on the appropriate reads comment. I thought it was funny last week even the tv announcer pointed out a mis read. ND was in the red zone sends in the play and also puts Mayer into the game. Mayer ended up being wide open on the play a easy TD but Ian missed it. This time it didnít matter because Ian throw the ball to Ben and he made a great catch for a TD. But against a good defense we canít miss those open opportunities.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Totally agree on the appropriate reads comment. I thought it was funny last week even the tv announcer pointed out a mis read. ND was in the red zone sends in the play and also puts Mayer into the game. Mayer ended up being wide open on the play a easy TD but Ian missed it. This time it didnít matter because Ian throw the ball to Ben and he made a great catch for a TD. But against a good defense we canít miss those open opportunities.
Yeah, that was one of the specific plays I was thinking about. The other was in the comeback drive against Clemson when we were backed up to our goalline almost. He's rolling out with his receiver towards the boundary - should've been a quick obvious throw, but he double pumps it second guessing himself and almost runs out of room for the receiver to catch the ball into the sideline. I was like, dude, what're you thinking? There are no other receiving possibilities based on the way you're moving AND he's wide open...
Old 11-19-2020, 05:56 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Yeah, that was one of the specific plays I was thinking about. The other was in the comeback drive against Clemson when we were backed up to our goalline almost. He's rolling out with his receiver towards the boundary - should've been a quick obvious throw, but he double pumps it second guessing himself and almost runs out of room for the receiver to catch the ball into the sideline. I was like, dude, what're you thinking? There are no other receiving possibilities based on the way you're moving AND he's wide open...
Also missed McKinley on a drag pattern on 1st down inside the 5 yard line on the game tying drive against Clemson. I feel like his size impedes him from seeing over lineman that are 5 or 6 inches taller than Ian. His movement in the pocket with his eyes downfield was one of the keys to that big win though.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I'd agree that there is room to improve on making reads. He's not progressed there quite as much as he has with pocket presence (which is turning into an elite attribute) or short-medium area accuracy (which is returning as an elite attribute). And, of course, there is still room to improve with passing down the field but at least he's taking shots there now.
I would say that any QB is missing open receivers every game and, thankfully, he's nothing near Trubisky-level deficiency there (which pains me to type as a Bears fan). He has a good idea of where to look at the snap and generally moves through his progressions quickly/decisively. When he scrambles, he's maybe 50/50 with some great reads/throws and missing parts of the field.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:02 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
Totally agree on the appropriate reads comment. I thought it was funny last week even the tv announcer pointed out a mis read. ND was in the red zone sends in the play and also puts Mayer into the game. Mayer ended up being wide open on the play a easy TD but Ian missed it. This time it didn’t matter because Ian throw the ball to Ben and he made a great catch for a TD. But against a good defense we can’t miss those open opportunities.
I'm not sure he "missed" Mayer. Yes, he was wide open, but so was Skowronek. If Ben is his primary read and he gets the look he wants, then sees him break open, why would he look anywhere else?

It looks bad when Mayer is jumping with his hand up, but if that is a secondary read and the primary read is also a wide open TD, you can't fault Book for that. If he throws it more to the corner like he should have, Ben catches it uncontested for an easy TD.

That said, there are plenty of times where you see a wide open WR in the line of sight of Book and he just doesn't pull the trigger. Those have to be fixed.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:09 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
I'm not sure he "missed" Mayer. Yes, he was wide open, but so was Skowronek. If Ben is his primary read and he gets the look he wants, then sees him break open, why would he look anywhere else?

It looks bad when Mayer is jumping with his hand up, but if that is a secondary read and the primary read is also a wide open TD, you can't fault Book for that. If he throws it more to the corner like he should have, Ben catches it uncontested for an easy TD.

That said, there are plenty of times where you see a wide open WR in the line of sight of Book and he just doesn't pull the trigger. Those have to be fixed.
They playing the game again tonight....watch. Ben was not wide open. And I didn’t think Ben was the primary but could be wrong. I have it taped but working tonight I’ll have to watch it again.