Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2020, 04:30 AM
SpeedsterX's Avatar
SpeedsterX SpeedsterX is offline
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Golden Dome
Posts: 10,331
Default Playing Clemson again..

We should have won by more. We left a LOT of points in the red zone. I truly feel we can beat them again handily IF we played the same guys. Problem is, they are going to be playing 3 NFL caliber starters that were "sick" on defense (which I don't personally think it's the difference maker) but then they are playing Trevor "California" Lawrence.

We all know he's the real deal. He can m move, he's experienced, accurate as anyone I have ever seen, and plays smart. I have seen players in my lifetime that actually takes over games and he's is absolutely one.

I am just hoping we keep it close if we play them in the ACC Championship Game and we can still get in the playoffs if we lose. Thoughts?
__________________

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Moderator

Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 11-16-2020, 04:56 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
We should have won by more. We left a LOT of points in the red zone. I truly feel we can beat them again handily IF we played the same guys. Problem is, they are going to be playing 3 NFL caliber starters that were "sick" on defense (which I don't personally think it's the difference maker) but then they are playing Trevor "California" Lawrence.

We all know he's the real deal. He can m move, he's experienced, accurate as anyone I have ever seen, and plays smart. I have seen players in my lifetime that actually takes over games and he's is absolutely one.

I am just hoping we keep it close if we play them in the ACC Championship Game and we can still get in the playoffs if we lose. Thoughts?
I find it hard to believe Trevor's going that much over 400 yards against us. I don't think we'll score 47 again but we should not need too. Its hard to believe as well 6-0 would be better then 11-1 but these are different times so who knows?
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2020, 05:31 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,018
Default

It'll be a challenge for sure. I think the plan still has to be controlling Etienne which really takes a big weapon out of their offense. Even with their starters on D back we should be able to move the ball, but like you said we have to get better in the RZ.

One other factor that cannot be overlooked, confidence. Our guys beat them and now believe they can compete with the best. That's a huge factor for our team knowing that they did it once, and with plenty of mistakes that they can clean up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2020, 06:08 AM
drakan drakan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
I find it hard to believe Trevor's going that much over 400 yards against us. I don't think we'll score 47 again but we should not need too. Its hard to believe as well 6-0 would be better then 11-1 but these are different times so who knows?
TL wouldn't have made the rookie mistakes that Uiagalelei made that led to turnovers and he wouldn't have taken as many sacks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2020, 08:52 AM
hawaiiirish hawaiiirish is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11,095
Default

It was very difficult to win one at home against Clemson,,,,the odds of us beating them twice is not high IMO...

2 things,,,first lets see if we can beat a pretty good carolina team

second speedster is right as long as we dont fold ... dont give a miami collapse performance.....if we play strong and make it a close entertaining game we can still get to the post season,,,then maybe i would like our chances better against them in the third time.....would be so odd to play a team three times i guess its unlikely for some unclear reason.

aloha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2020, 12:50 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,953
Default

Quite frankly, BC was right there with us if their receivers didnít drop balls for no reason...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2020, 01:56 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,962
Default

Everyone I hear from thinks Trevor will be the difference. I donít believe that for a second. Maybe he doesnít take a sack at the end. But DJ played just as good as anyone. And Trevor isnít making some of those throws he did running opposite side throwing a dart across his body. A pure seed. So it balances out. What will hurt and is there 3-4 defensive starters being out. Yes, the backups were 5 stars. But they were freshmen or inexperienced. Letís not forget ND didnít score for 59 mins against that defense. Add those starters back and those young guys who just got experience. Tough sledding for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2020, 02:03 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,634
Default

1) Irish won a game that either team could have won. But the Irish played well and finally won a big game and that should be a positive factor for them in a re-match.

2) Clemson will have at least some of their missing players back but odds are that both teams will have some other players who do not play due to injury or Covid.

3) By now, Clemson will have already dissected Lea's defensive game plan that shut Clemson's run game down so the game of rock, paper, scissors will advance a few cycles. Likewise, same for ND O vs Clemson D.

4) Whatever advantage ND had from playing at home will be gone.

5) I'm guessing that Clemson has a 65/35 chance of winning

6) At the end of the day, ND will probably need to win the turnover battle to win.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Synoptico Synoptico is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Quite frankly, BC was right there with us if their receivers didnít drop balls for no reason...
BC was right there with clemson too
__________________
Please consider supporting Make A Wish and my fundraising goal.
http://site.wish.org/site/TR/Friends...pwtf1qqgjf0nn1

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Island Domer's Avatar
Island Domer Island Domer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Out In The Blue Pacific
Posts: 2,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
BC was right there with clemson too
They had to come from behind to win at the end.
__________________
Better 50 enemies outside my house than 1 within.

Irish Saying
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 18,063
Default

We need a couple key stops on D, the run the sh!t out of the ball on them. Win.

Youíre welcome.
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2020, 10:18 PM
NYGoldenDomer NYGoldenDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 235
Default

I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing Clemson again. Well, watching them play Clemson again...you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2020, 11:18 PM
so_cal_irish's Avatar
so_cal_irish so_cal_irish is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los angeles, CA
Posts: 265
Default

Anyone else concerned about these ACC refs calling an ACC championship with us in it as 1 year members? Weíve been getting hosed the last couple weeks and could definitely see it happening again if were to make it to this game.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2020, 12:04 AM
NYGoldenDomer NYGoldenDomer is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_cal_irish View Post
Anyone else concerned about these ACC refs calling an ACC championship with us in it as 1 year members? Weíve been getting hosed the last couple weeks and could definitely see it happening again if were to make it to this game.
That's a good point.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2020, 12:34 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Quite frankly, BC was right there with us if their receivers didn’t drop balls for no reason...
And they were right there with Clemson the whole game but couldn't score in the second half. And that was against a TL led Clemson.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-17-2020, 01:41 AM
ndfanatic78 ndfanatic78 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
And they were right there with Clemson the whole game but couldn't score in the second half. And that was against a TL led Clemson.
TL was out for the BC game too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 AM
SpeedsterX's Avatar
SpeedsterX SpeedsterX is offline
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Golden Dome
Posts: 10,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
I find it hard to believe Trevor's going that much over 400 yards against us. I don't think we'll score 47 again but we should not need too. Its hard to believe as well 6-0 would be better then 11-1 but these are different times so who knows?
It's not how many yards he passes for, it's how many touch downs he passes for. We'll se if we can pressure him into mistakes. All I have seen from him is he doesn't make too many mistakes.
__________________

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u werenít in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Moderator

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfanatic78 View Post
TL was out for the BC game too.
Was he? I watched some of it and swear that I remember him playing. Oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-18-2020, 01:26 PM
cavic cavic is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Everyone I hear from thinks Trevor will be the difference. I donít believe that for a second. Maybe he doesnít take a sack at the end. But DJ played just as good as anyone. And Trevor isnít making some of those throws he did running opposite side throwing a dart across his body. A pure seed. So it balances out. What will hurt and is there 3-4 defensive starters being out. Yes, the backups were 5 stars. But they were freshmen or inexperienced. Letís not forget ND didnít score for 59 mins against that defense. Add those starters back and those young guys who just got experience. Tough sledding for sure.
Have to disagree with you here. If you go back to last years playoff game vs OSU with Clemson trailing 16-0 it was Lawrence who turned the game around and he did it with 2 long runs. OSU was containing Etiene and the passing game so Lawrence changed the momentum with his legs. He is a better runner than given credit for.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-18-2020, 03:07 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavic View Post
Have to disagree with you here. If you go back to last years playoff game vs OSU with Clemson trailing 16-0 it was Lawrence who turned the game around and he did it with 2 long runs. OSU was containing Etiene and the passing game so Lawrence changed the momentum with his legs. He is a better runner than given credit for.
DJ was also not on the squad. They now have two legitimate number one picks at qb at Clemson. I do agree that QB is a huge difference maker and a running QB can spark a big play. But from everything Iíve read and heard, ND was prepared for QB runs. I think they would had been prepared for Lawrence too. DJ did NOT hurt them in anyway against the Irish. He did pretty much everything Lawrence would/could do beside run here and there. But he picked up those runs by being able to pass for more yards. Again, that game could had went either way. Adding Lawrence just because he can run for 25 yards here and there isnít going to win a game. Getting three or four starters back on defense will.
Iíll always take 3-4 guys over 1 any day of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-18-2020, 03:19 PM
ND_JACK ND_JACK is online now
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
Was he? I watched some of it and swear that I remember him playing. Oh well.
Third party input....TL did not play!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-19-2020, 12:01 AM
Jersey Irish's Avatar
Jersey Irish Jersey Irish is online now
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mine Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 4,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_cal_irish View Post
Anyone else concerned about these ACC refs calling an ACC championship with us in it as 1 year members? Weíve been getting hosed the last couple weeks and could definitely see it happening again if were to make it to this game.
Noticed that too. Some very iffy calls in BC game
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 AM
Green Goblin's Avatar
Green Goblin Green Goblin is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,873
Default

Yeah, I’ve had this strange feeling that if we play them again...we’re going to beat them even more soundly.

I also have this weird feeling that we end up playing Miami in the title game and not Clemson.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Last Updated: January 20, 2021

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.