Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Hawaii's take on the sping game

IAN BOOK..… just looked terrific in my view....accurate, so quick a read and release....and clearly more MUSTARD on his throws than last year, the perfect QB for an up tempo attack....VERY PLEASED with how Ian looks, and pretty confident we can win 10 games with a healthy Ian...

Brian Kelly....Happy Relaxed and Confident,,,,team usually reflects their coach, the ANXST and CONFUSION that was so telling early in Kellys tenure seems to have evaporated,,,Kelly seems to have a great handle on his team, his staff and the program generally....

Lots of speed on the defense,,,,lots of talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball.....

Jafar looks bigger and better,,,could be a great year for him...

On the negative....Phil is really a "work in progress" this season NEEDS a HEALTHY BOOK to win big ...Punting was sketchy,,,,that should and needs to get better,,,,

But overall ,,, I really like the look of this team....lots of good players graduated but thats CFB.... A HOST OF TALENTED RECIEVERS WRs TEs and out of the backfield.....An up tempo attack being run by IAN could SCORE LOTS OF POINTS.

Color me optimistic about our prospects to win LOTS OF GAMES....

Aloha

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
IAN BOOK..… just looked terrific in my view....accurate, so quick a read and release....and clearly more MUSTARD on his throws than last year, the perfect QB for an up tempo attack....VERY PLEASED with how Ian looks, and pretty confident we can win 10 games with a healthy Ian...

Brian Kelly....Happy Relaxed and Confident,,,,team usually reflects their coach, the ANXST and CONFUSION that was so telling early in Kellys tenure seems to have evaporated,,,Kelly seems to have a great handle on his team, his staff and the program generally....

Lots of speed on the defense,,,,lots of talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball.....

Jafar looks bigger and better,,,could be a great year for him...

On the negative....Phil is really a "work in progress" this season NEEDS a HEALTHY BOOK to win big ...Punting was sketchy,,,,that should and needs to get better,,,,

But overall ,,, I really like the look of this team....lots of good players graduated but thats CFB.... A HOST OF TALENTED RECIEVERS WRs TEs and out of the backfield.....An up tempo attack being run by IAN could SCORE LOTS OF POINTS.

Color me optimistic about our prospects to win LOTS OF GAMES....

Aloha
I concur. I think Phil, and before him Wimbush and before him Zaire and Before him Crist needed the running part of QB play to be successful. Book and before him Golson and before him Rees can rely on completions to move the team.

The part of the team that has me the most excited is the defensive ends. Kelly and Lea are going to take more chances this year. They are going to play the corners up tighter so that the ends have a second more to rush the QB.

That said our running game has the chance to be the most diverse since Kelly's been here. The power of Jones Jr and Jahmir Smith with the all around play of Jafar, the toughness of C'Bo and the cutting ability of Kryen.

So the season looks promising and the level of the promise depends on really the corners linebackers, DT's and wide receivers. If you get elite receiver play we could touch 40 points per game, with passable linebacker play and above average corner play I think staying around that 20-22 points allowed per game is possible.

With sacks and hurries we should force turnovers. Hopefully we force more turnovers than we give up big plays. If we are a positive turnover ratio team and avoid the "big play" on defense we should be knocking on the door again.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Agree with Hawaii. Book looked decisive with the ball. Jafar looked like a lead back should.
The d-line is very good and the LBs run in space well no matter who was playing.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Well, ND won...

I thought the offense looked pretty good and the defense was okay but there will be some growing pains with a lot of solid, experienced players being replaced by relative newbies. I think the offense will carry this team to some degree until the new starters on defense grow into their roles.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Upside——Offense under Book and D line
Downside—To early to tell, but it would appear- Jurkovic, Linebackers, Special teams (again)

Too much virtue is gonna hurt you!!

Clarity
The moment when you realize the preseason polls were wrong. Again.

ASBC!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

From the small sample size I watched—-a quarter—Armstrong should be the lead back. Worry still about his upward running style but whatever, lots of guys have had success running that way.

Punting is atrocious

Phil Jurkovic looks lost or something. Either to much playbook, not enough reps, or not understanding a defense. Something is missing.

We should be using the TE more than we have. KMet(I believe is a monster waiting for BK to unleash him.

Not completely sold on the wr’s as some are.

A little worried about the linebackers also.

D-line could be the best in the nation if we had two more dt studs.

Book will have to carry this team to victories next season.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
From the small sample size I watched—-a quarter—Armstrong should be the lead back. Worry still about his upward running style but whatever, lots of guys have had success running that way.

Punting is atrocious

Phil Jurkovic looks lost or something. Either to much playbook, not enough reps, or not understanding a defense. Something is missing.

We should be using the TE more than we have. KMet(I believe is a monster waiting for BK to unleash him.

Not completely sold on the wr’s as some are.

A little worried about the linebackers also.

D-line could be the best in the nation if we had two more dt studs.

Book will have to carry this team to victories next season.
Everything I've heard suggests Phil did very little with the ND offense last year, he mostly ran the scout team. So this is really his first action with the ND offense, so it shouldn't be too surprising that he's overwhelmed.

With Wimbush and Book last year, I doubt there were many snaps to go around to a 3rd QB.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Everything I've heard suggests Phil did very little with the ND offense last year, he mostly ran the scout team. So this is really his first action with the ND offense, so it shouldn't be too surprising that he's overwhelmed.

With Wimbush and Book last year, I doubt there were many snaps to go around to a 3rd QB.
I get this. But are guys not taking practice reps in one on one drills? Scout team has still him still getting reps. I know live is different, but I guess I just expect guys to be ready or prepared better by their second or third season.

As a side note, I really got to take in a college practice sometime. I need to see what teams go over from practice to practice.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I get this. But are guys not taking practice reps in one on one drills? Scout team has still him still getting reps. I know live is different, but I guess I just expect guys to be ready or prepared better by their second or third season.

As a side note, I really got to take in a college practice sometime. I need to see what teams go over from practice to practice.
Live is totally different and it's also a different playbook.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be further ahead, especially when you see what guys like Lawrence and Tua have done as Freshman.

However, I think they were expected to be at least backups as Freshman, so they probably were thrust into different roles than Jurk.

I was hoping Phil could push Book to start, he has tools Book doesn't, but clearly that isn't going to be the case. So in that regard, it's disappointing, but I don't think it spells doom for the rest of his career.