Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
I guess Iíll volunteer for the printed/verbal beating, but I think ND could win a championship now.
Clemson trounced ND by 27. Ouch.
Clemson trounced Alabama by 28.
Purdue manhandled Ohio State.
Crazy things happen in any one game.
ND has a solid group of excellent players and good depth everywhere (okay, maybe not at runners my back).
It is still a combination of players, coaches, injuries to ND and injuries to opponents, a play here or there.
Of course the odds are not in NDís favor to win a championship this coming year. The odds are small. But I believe that, given the players, coaches, and changes that have occurred in the program, ND could indeed win over all.
Small odds, but not impossible odds.

The defense is getting there, much closer than years past. That has to continue.

The offense is still a ways away. Clemson and Bama are loaded everywhere on that side of the ball as well as OU and OSU. Clemson had a 5* QB throwing to nothing but high 4-5* WRs and Renfro. Finke is our Renfro, but was arguably our deep threat all season, that's not a good thing no offense to Finke.

In the end BK has to adjust the offense. Our high end TE have been largely forgotten since Eifert and Niklas left, which is a shame.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
The defense is getting there, much closer than years past. That has to continue.

The offense is still a ways away. Clemson and Bama are loaded everywhere on that side of the ball as well as OU and OSU. Clemson had a 5* QB throwing to nothing but high 4-5* WRs and Renfro. Finke is our Renfro, but was arguably our deep threat all season, that's not a good thing no offense to Finke.

In the end BK has to adjust the offense. Our high end TE have been largely forgotten since Eifert and Niklas left, which is a shame.
Agreed. Need a dynamic offense. SPEEEEED. We will never have an elite defense anymore. Impossible with the current system and trends. The major programs will have to come way back to the pack. We need to start with recruiting and playing QBs with arms strong enough to throw deep and accuracy in seams and in the middle of the field. I am so sick of the "dual threat" QB system under BK. I have said it before, but I think our success lies with a pro style offense. The diversity of opponents we face yearly I believe can be nullified by the pro style defense. On defense.... we need more speed and size in the safety position. Just my take.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDomer View Post
Agreed. Need a dynamic offense. SPEEEEED. We will never have an elite defense anymore. Impossible with the current system and trends. The major programs will have to come way back to the pack. We need to start with recruiting and playing QBs with arms strong enough to throw deep and accuracy in seams and in the middle of the field. I am so sick of the "dual threat" QB system under BK. I have said it before, but I think our success lies with a pro style offense. The diversity of opponents we face yearly I believe can be nullified by the pro style defense. On defense.... we need more speed and size in the safety position. Just my take.
Well, youíll be happy to know that Kyle Hamilton, a borderline 5 star with offers from Clemson, Georgia and Ohio State, is signed and set to enroll this summer. This a season after Houston Griffith and Derrick Allen, two Top 100 recruits, signed with ND.

By the way, safety play was actually really good this season. Terry Joseph did a great job getting the most out of Elliot and Gilman, who was rated one of the Top 50 players in college football this season by PFF. He also had the best overall grade among safeties.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Well, youíll be happy to know that Kyle Hamilton, a borderline 5 star with offers from Clemson, Georgia and Ohio State, is signed and set to enroll this summer. This a season after Houston Griffith and Derrick Allen, two Top 100 recruits, signed with ND.

By the way, safety play was actually really good this season. Terry Joseph did a great job getting the most out of Elliot and Gilman, who was rated one of the Top 50 players in college football this season by PFF. He also had the best overall grade among safeties.
Hamilton is going to be VERY good.

Arent both Allen (LB) and Griffith (CB) no longer considered safeties on the team?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
Hamilton is going to be VERY good.

Arent both Allen (LB) and Griffith (CB) no longer considered safeties on the team?
Griffith is still a safety and right now the starting nickel (by default). With the departure of Love and the injury to Vaughn, I could see him getting looks at CB this spring, but his best position is safety. He will be one of the backup safeties this season, and I’m hoping he gets some legitimate playing time there. It’s a talented position group (who would have said that 3 years ago) and I think there should be more of a rotation to get the best athletes on the field.

It’s hard to know with Allen - there is a rumor about a potential position switch. I would actually like him at LB. ND needs speed and athleticism at that position. He was reportedly out of shape last summer which is why he took a redshirt and appeared in no games, not even on special teams. Hopefully a full offseason with Balis gets him where he needs to be.

My comments were more about how safety recruiting has been really really good the last two cycles. The other safety commit in this class, Litchfield Ajavon, is in the Rivals 100.

I think Griffith and Hamilton will be rotational guys this season, then starters in 2020. Sign me up for that duo.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Griffith is still a safety and right now the starting nickel (by default). With the departure of Love and the injury to Vaughn, I could see him getting looks at CB this spring, but his best position is safety. He will be one of the backup safeties this season, and Iím hoping he gets some legitimate playing time there. Itís a talented position group (who would have said that 3 years ago) and I think there should be more of a rotation to get the best athletes on the field.

Itís hard to know with Allen - there is a rumor about a potential position switch. I would actually like him at LB. ND needs speed and athleticism at that position. He was reportedly out of shape last summer which is why he took a redshirt and appeared in no games, not even on special teams. Hopefully a full offseason with Balis gets him where he needs to be.

My comments were more about how safety recruiting has been really really good the last two cycles. The other safety commit in this class, Litchfield Ajavon, is in the Rivals 100.

I think Griffith and Hamilton will be rotational guys this season, then starters in 2020. Sign me up for that duo.
Very much agree