Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 11-09-2019, 01:28 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Absolutely correct. We have secured a commitment from a top back and lead for another. It hurts to admit it but he and Lyght were our worst recruiters. Todd is my second favorite player of all time, but has got to get some high 4 and five star guys in.
Yup it's clear that running back and corner have consistently been the worst recruited the last handful of years. Denson was replaced and taylor has immediately upgraded the talent. Sadly it's time for TL to go as well and hopefully a new guy can upgrade the corners as well.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Yup it's clear that running back and corner have consistently been the worst recruited the last handful of years. Denson was replaced and taylor has immediately upgraded the talent. Sadly it's time for TL to go as well and hopefully a new guy can upgrade the corners as well.
I believe Lyght will be gone at the end of this year. Probably good for both parties. Certainly need a couple of these committed CBs to actually pan out.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Whats the latest on Henderson? Anything else happening
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Whats the latest on Henderson? Anything else happening
Good question. Not entirely sure what he is waiting on. He may just want a moment toward the end of the season to make his announcement. He is an EE and is qualified for ND.

ND is talking to other players as well but not anything big right now. I would suspect any new names visit for the banquet if they truly pursue anyone.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Good question. Not entirely sure what he is waiting on. He may just want a moment toward the end of the season to make his announcement. He is an EE and is qualified for ND.

ND is talking to other players as well but not anything big right now. I would suspect any new names visit for the banquet if they truly pursue anyone.
But you're still expecting us to land Henderson?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

Wonder if they are saving the spots for whoever takes over for tL if he isnt around

Old 11-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
But you're still expecting us to land Henderson?
As of today yes.

If they do part ways with Lyght as most anticipate then they need to find a Lance Taylor type hire that is a solid coach and recruits really well. Right now they are bringing in Lewis WR/DB, Bartleson RB/DB, Offord DB, and potentially Henderson WR/DB. I listed their primary/longer term position first. Lewis has the measurables and looks like a really solid player. He looks like he could be a nice find. Bartleson has the measurables too but limited DB time. Offord is raw but has excellent physical attributes. Henderson has the measurables although his junior film was terrible in my opinion. Curious to see his senior year. The ND staff would have a lot of clay to work with. Is that clay Love/Onwualu type or Jon Jones/Studstill. So far I would say Bill Rees and Co. have been trending toward finding the Love/Onwualu types and ND needs it to happen.

Last edited by Big23Head; 11-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Why is Lyght leaving? Just can't stand South Bend weather?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Nothing is confirmed, just speculation that both sides will part ways.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
His family actually lives in California and his son is a freshman on the Mater Dei football team. From NDs side, he isn't lighting the world on fire with recruiting and on the field has been ok to solid.

Last edited by Big23Head; 11-11-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
His family actually lives in California and his son is a freshman on the Mater Dei football team. From NDs side, he isn't lighting the world on fire with recruiting and on the field has been ok to solid.
I mentioned before that some of the recruiting stuff may come from a difference of opinions within the staff on which and what type of DB's ND recruits. I don't get it myself since I would prefer to cast a wider net with recruiting and not eliminating kids due to certain qualities or lack thereof. A larger recruiting pool lends itself for a higher hit rate for top talent. Long/tall DB are alright, but if they lack instinct it can be a wash. A shorter kid who has good hips and plays the position naturally can be just as or maybe more effective.

As far as results on the field, we lost Love who was excellent, and is hard to replace. Trying to remember who else we had since Lyght has been here, Cole Luke maybe?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Wonder how good his son is/will be...Would probably be considered an upset if Lyght’s son doesn’t end up at ND. Always nice to get Mater Dei kids as well.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Wonder how good his son is/will be...Would probably be considered an upset if Lyght’s son doesn’t end up at ND. Always nice to get Mater Dei kids as well.
He is currently on the freshman team. Listed at 6'2 and a WR/DE. Position likely changes because that is a weird combo.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
He is currently on the freshman team. Listed at 6'2 and a WR/DE. Position likely changes because that is a weird combo.
Wasn't Greg Little a WR/DE in high school? I thought there was a fairly high profile WR/DE recruit that ND pursued in the last 15 years
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I’ve seen some DE/WR combos in HS. Usually guys that are on the thinner side and need some of that weight gain at the college level.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
As of today yes.

If they do part ways with Lyght as most anticipate then they need to find a Lance Taylor type hire that is a solid coach and recruits really well. Right now they are bringing in Lewis WR/DB, Bartleson RB/DB, Offord DB, and potentially Henderson WR/DB. I listed their primary/longer term position first. Lewis has the measurables and looks like a really solid player. He looks like he could be a nice find. Bartleson has the measurables too but limited DB time. Offord is raw but has excellent physical attributes. Henderson has the measurables although his junior film was terrible in my opinion. Curious to see his senior year. The ND staff would have a lot of clay to work with. Is that clay Love/Onwualu type or Jon Jones/Studstill. So far I would say Bill Rees and Co. have been trending toward finding the Love/Onwualu types and ND needs it to happen.
Are his senior highlights out yet. Ive read hes a real good athlete although raw
Old 11-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Are his senior highlights out yet. Ive read hes a real good athlete although raw
They just came out. I 100% see a WR, personally. His speed is interesting. Huge stride but eats up ground like crazy.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

He reminds me of Lee Becton.... looks slooow, but somehow moves farther than everyone in the same amount of time.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
They just came out. I 100% see a WR, personally. His speed is interesting. Huge stride but eats up ground like crazy.

Floyd had long strides like that, he'd be a nice add somewhere between DaVaris Daniels and Mike Floyd is who he reminds me of.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Floyd had long strides like that, he'd be a nice add somewhere between DaVaris Daniels and Mike Floyd is who he reminds me of.
He’s being recruited as a DB but I agree. Also Washington just offered so that may change things.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
So... He’s Chase Claypool... 🤣🤣🤣
Old 11-17-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
He’s being recruited as a DB but I agree. Also Washington just offered so that may change things.
I think he might get wherever as a DB and turn into a Joe Wilkins where te head coach is like, your playing offense young man.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrasco View Post
All the current running backs will not even sniff an NFL roster. It is unacceptable for ND to be so lacking at the RB position. If you want to argue they are reliable backups I can agree with that. Put any of them against a Bama-type defense and they would get absolutely destroyed. Jones is too slow, Armstrong is too small without enough quickness to make up for it, and Smith is just plain average.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the RB room needs an upgrade. Tyree is an amazing start to hopefully continuous upgrades. I am with Big here though, I wouldn't classify Armstrong as too small. He runs a bit upright which might make him seem that way, but size isn't the issue for him - it is staying on the field and continuing to learn the position as a converted WR.

Armstrong is the one guy (maybe C'bo) that I feel can still become an above average to great college starting running back.

No one is really arguing about guys like Jones, Smith, etc. likely not being NFL talents, but at the same time, not all good college players are. But yes, what you said is my main point. All of these guys, imo, would be considered solid/reliable backups that can put up good stats in the proper role - which they all have at times.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the RB room needs an upgrade. Tyree is an amazing start to hopefully continuous upgrades. I am with Big here though, I wouldn't classify Armstrong as too small. He runs a bit upright which might make him seem that way, but size isn't the issue for him - it is staying on the field and continuing to learn the position as a converted WR.

Armstrong is the one guy (maybe C'bo) that I feel can still become an above average to great college starting running back.

No one is really arguing about guys like Jones, Smith, etc. likely not being NFL talents, but at the same time, not all good college players are. But yes, what you said is my main point. All of these guys, imo, would be considered solid/reliable backups that can put up good stats in the proper role - which they all have at times.
Armstrong is the most frustrating player to watch this year. I remember in the preseason, a lot of media members predicted he'd have a 1,000-yard (total yards) season, and I didn't think that was far-fetched at all. But that injury really killed him - he has not looked good at all since he came back. It seems like he has no wiggle and his speed is down. That's a hard injury to overcome for a RB. Hopefully he can put it together next year, but he's a complete unknown and somebody that the coaches should not bank on.

Tony Jones has had a good year, but he's also been bitten by the injury bug. I have no idea whether he'll stay or go. He's not an NFL guy, probably, but he may still want to give it a shot. Would like to see C'Bo and Jahmir get more carries these last few games. Not highly recruited guys, but it seems like they are true RBs.

Tyree can't get here soon enough.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Armstrong is the most frustrating player to watch this year. I remember in the preseason, a lot of media members predicted he'd have a 1,000-yard (total yards) season, and I didn't think that was far-fetched at all. But that injury really killed him - he has not looked good at all since he came back. It seems like he has no wiggle and his speed is down. That's a hard injury to overcome for a RB. Hopefully he can put it together next year, but he's a complete unknown and somebody that the coaches should not bank on.

Tony Jones has had a good year, but he's also been bitten by the injury bug. I have no idea whether he'll stay or go. He's not an NFL guy, probably, but he may still want to give it a shot. Would like to see C'Bo and Jahmir get more carries these last few games. Not highly recruited guys, but it seems like they are true RBs.

Tyree can't get here soon enough.
Armstrong has a track background and it always seems that those football players are more injury prone for whatever reason.
Now if they say a RB has track speed (like Tyree) that's another story. He is the goods and should start from Day 1.