Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Domer Domain All American

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 PM

Old 04-07-2019, 09:08 PM

Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 AM

Big growth and improvements for Cody Simon over the last year

Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 AM

Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 AM

Old 04-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Noticed that 4 * WR A.J. Henning has 100% of six 247 crystal balls picking ND. (including Steve Wiltfong)

Is Henning a realistic pick-up for the IRish?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Noticed that 4 * WR A.J. Henning has 100% of six 247 crystal balls picking ND. (including Steve Wiltfong)

Is Henning a realistic pick-up for the IRish?
Very realistic
Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 PM

So where do things stand as of today for ND

QB (1)

CT QB Drew Pyne (ND Verbal ^): done and a very good pickup. I think he can 'improve' his ranking. Invited to the Elite 11 and may get a later invite to an All America game.

RB (1-2)

VA RB Chris Tyree (Offer): ND is in the top group and can win this. He is already scheduled to return and likely to decide this summer. Must win for ND
MA RB Kalel Mullings (Offer): ND is pretty much out and it is their choice, expect Stanford
OH RB Michael Drennen II (Offer): ND is in it with OSU. He seems to really like some SEC teams and speaks very highly of them but continues to mention OSU and ND. Also keeps visiting.
NY RB Tirek Murphy (Offer): ND probably leads. He is taking his time and will take several more visits including in the fall. Should Tyree commit to ND this summer it will be interesting to see if he speeds things up to grab the second spot. He and his mom retweet anything to do with him and ND.
OH RB DeaMonte Trayanum (Offer): ND has made up ground but he is probably OSU's to lose still. Definitely a nice player.
OH RB Jutahn McClain (Offer): This is likely the guy the staff goes after quickly if Tyree goes elsewhere. He is a solid player and really likes ND.
LA RB Kyle Edwards (Offer): I believe he would be Irish if his academics were in full order. He is looking to visit again.

WR (3)

MO WR Jordan Johnson (ND Verbal): Huge pick up and momentum builder for ND
CA WR Jalen McMillan (Offer): He is visiting this week. ND will get a feel if they are in it or not.
IL WR AJ Henning (Offer): Hard to read right now. ND is in it but he is really enjoying the recruiting process now. He could decide anytime.
TX WR Troy Omeire (Offer): Will visit this summer but a very hard pull from the south. Will commit this summer.
FL WR Michael Redding III (Offer): I believe ND leads right now. He was planning to commit this summer but might now take his time.
TX WR William Nixon (Offer): ND is a player but he probably stays south. Taking his time with the process.
NE WR Xavier Watts (Offer): Very nice player. He visits this week but will be a tough pull from Coach Frost at Nebraska. ND really likes him though.

TE (2)

KY TE Michael Mayer (ND Verbal): Great duo like Wright and Kmet
NJ TE Kevin Baumann (ND Verbal): Great duo like Wright and Kmet

OL (3-4)

AZ OL Tosh Baker (Offer): I believe ND leads right now and they should win this. He will likely commit this summer. ND needs a true LT and he is one
CO OL Andrew Gentry (Offer): ND did great on his OV and put themselves in great position. He will take a mission for 2 years then comeback so he is really a 2022 guy. BYU will be the comfortable choice for now.
IL OL Peter Skoronski (Offer): I could see ND or NW and he could commit at anytime. Will be interesting to see if he waits for gameday experiences.
MA OL Zak Zinter (Offer): ND is in the top group but I don't think they are pushing super hard right now.
CO OL Reece Atteberry (Offer): ND or OSU most likely and he should announce this summer. Solid swing player.
VA OL Jimmy Christ (Offer): ND in the top group and should land him IMO. Perfect RT to pair with Baker. May announce this spring

Side note, ND will likely push for 4 OL now that Luke Jones is transferring. Jonah Monheim is a new offer and he visited recently. Taking a ton of visits so that will take a little bit of time to sort out. Also, Zinter may be more of a take now or at least pushed for more.

DL (4-5)

CO DL Aidan Keanaaina (ND Verbal): Great pick up for ND. Has reshaped his body some and continues to train hard. Look forward to seeing his Sr. year.
GERM DL Alexander Ehrensberger (ND Verbal ^): Would have loved to see him test in Amsterdam when 247 was there but no luck. Will be a wait and see but potential appears to be very high.
IL DL Rylie Mills (Offer): He will take a couple more visits to other schools. ND leads and should win this. Would be a big get. Announces this spring/summer.
HI DL Jordan Botelho (Offer): OV this June and it is huge. If they can get him to come back for a gameday it would be ideal. Could be a monster at WDE...
MI DL Braiden McGregor (Offer): I think ND has done a great job and was way ahead of other schools in evaluating him but distance seems like it will factor. I think he goes to Michigan. Announces this spring/summer.
CA DL Ben Yurosek (Offer): Really like this kid personally. No decision timeline has been given. If he wants to play DL and not TE then I think ND is the top team right now. May decide this summer.
IN DL Deontae Craig (Offer): ND and OSU are the favorites. ND is taking their time with him and hopefully both sides continue to let this roll into the season. Nice back up option IMO.
MA DL Cameron Large (Offer): Similar to Yurosek, what position does he prefer TE or DL. He has major offers at both. ND is in it and will be up to them to push.
MD DL Mitchell Melton (Offer): Solid player. Seems to favor OSU and Michigan. Not sure how high on the board he is right now. ND in it for now. Announcing this summer and ND will need an OV to matter

LB (1)

NJ LB Cody Simon (Offer): The only true LB ND is recruiting. His improvement has been great over the last year. Bigger, faster, stronger. Would be a great pickup. ND in the top group with PSU, UVA, and VT.

CB (2-3)

CA CB Clark Phillips III (Offer): ND is right where they need to be. He may decide this summer. ND is doing fantastic recruiting him.
LA CB Eric Reed Jr. (Offer): I don't think he will visit and likely stays south.
MO CB Dontae Manning (Offer): Essentially blew off ND to visit Oklahoma. If he gets to campus soon then ok otherwise moving on...
TX CB Jalen Kimber (Offer): Fantastic visit last weekend. ND is very much in the top group. His comments were powerful, lets see in a couple weeks. He will narrow soon and likely decide this summer.
TX CB Ryan Watts (Offer): Very similar to Kimber. ND hit everything that they needed to on his visit. Mom and dad are on board. He commits this summer and if he leaves the south it is for ND.
KY CB Landen Bartleson (Offer): ND is likely his top team and can win him over if they push. Very solid player and could announce anytime. Again I don't know if ND is pushing super hard with Kimber, Watts, and Phillips really liking ND right now. He would be a nice option though.

S (2)

TX S Chris Thompson, Jr. (Offer): Until he actually steps on campus it is hard to see anything happening here but there is contact.
CA S Lathan Ransom (Offer): He keeps an eye on ND and has said all the right things plus the visit. He should narrow things down again and take OVs. ND in good position right now.
NJ S Jordan Morant (Offer): If he visits then ND will have a shot but right now looks Big 10 bound.
AL S Kristian Story (Offer): Quietly ND is doing great with him and would be a huge pickup. OV this spring/summer.
TX S Darius Snow (Offer): Not sure he is actually a safety. OV is scheduled for mid fall and that is good for both sides.
DC S Mordecai McDaniel (Offer): He does little to no interviews. Great size and speed combo. Hoping he attends the Opening regional in DC. He just put ND in his top 5 and could announce anytime realistically. I think ND has a great shot.
TX S Christian Gonzalez (Offer): A more behind the scenes recruitment here. He has performed really well at camps. Hopefully he will visit this spring/summer.
VA S Elijah Gaines (Offer): It has been quiet on this front but if ND pushed I think they would have a great shot.
FL S Lovie Jenkins (Offer): ND very much in it and he is trying to set up a visit. Not sure how hard ND is pushing but he feels the love. Good position to be in and will likely take some time to decide.

ATH (?)

NY ATH Cullen Coleman (Offer): ND is in a top group right now. Interesting that he is being recruited at RB. He is probably the best player available/athlete guy that you just get on campus and figure it out later. I'd expect a top group released sometime this summer.

Overall, the level of talent that has visited campus has been fantastic for ND. The recruit reactions have been exactly what ND needs too. You cannot help if another school is a dream school or if distance truly matters to a kid but ND is now in the discussion even for those types of players. They are right where they need to be at every position right now. It finally feels like ND has a program and not just flashing every couple of years because you hit a good recruiting class every couple years. A quality season and finishing this recruiting class would help solidify a true program. It appears several players will enroll early again. I think several dominoes will fall late spring/early summer.

Last edited by Big23Head; 04-11-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

This looks like it could be a Top 5 class!
Great job with the updates, Big, so appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
This looks like it could be a Top 5 class!
Great job with the updates, Big, so appreciate it!
Awesome job with the updates! Thank you

I cant see a top 5 class. Im thinking 8 to 10 is best case for us. Maybe next year top 5
Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think it's trending towards a Top 10 class. Obviously, a lot can change, not only with how players are ranked, but also how ND sits with some guys and other guys who might not even be on the radar yet. This is the first class in at least a couple of years that I can remember where guys aren't jumping on board early on. That'll change quickly as more officials happen this spring and summer, but with only 6 guys committed, this class is has a ton of potential to be great.

Here are the players that I think ND lands. I have the 2020 class as a 23-man class. I know that it's been reported that it'll be a smaller class this year, but I feel like we say that every year. I think there could be some more attrition this summer and next year which will allow ND to add 22-24 guys in the 2020 class.

QB: Pyne
RB: Tyree, Murphy
WR: Johnson, Henning, Redding
TE: Bauman, Mayer
OL: Baker, Christ, Skoronski, Zinter
DL: Keanaaina, Ehrensberger, Mills, Yurosek, Craig
LB: Simon
CB: Phillips, Kimber, Watts
S: McDaniel, Gaines

Again, rankings will change, so these numbers won't hold, but if ND landed this class - very realistic IMO - they would finish with 285.47 points on 247. Here is where that point total would have put ND the last three years in terms of overall class ranking:

2019: 4th
2018: 7th
2017: 8th

So, ND would be comfortably in the Top 10 with this class. And, again, I think this is a very realistic class, as ND would land some big fish (Tyree, Baker, Mills, Phillips, Kimber), but lose out on some others (McMillan, McGregor, Ransom, Story).

ND is in a good spot right now as it stands. We'll see how things continue to develop, but you've got to love where things stand right now in terms of recruiting the offensive skill positions (which everyone knew was lacking after the Clemson game). To have landed a legitimate Top 50 WR (Johnson) and two of the best TEs in the country (Bauman and Mayer), along with having great shots to land a Top 50 RB (Tyree) and another Top 100/120 WR (Henning), ND is in great shape.

I think defensive recruiting is up in the air. I don't love where ND stands in terms of DL recruiting - I think Mills commits soon, but I don't see ND beating out Michigan for McGregror. I don't love a DL class with DEs of Ehrensberger, Yurosek, and Craig. They can all develop into good players, but those guys don't match up skill-wise to Nana or Foskey. However, because of the success recruiting DEs last year, it's not a bad thing to take some developmental guys with good potential. Secondary recruiting is interesting because Phillips, Kimber, and Watts have all had great visits recently and ND is in good shape with all three. That would be a tremendous haul, but I think it is definitely possible. I really don't know about safety - I haven't heard much on Gaines recently, but he comes from a program that ND is familiar with and I think he will eventually end up Irish. I like where ND stands with Ransom and Story, but I get an OSU vibe from Ransom and Story is an Alabama kid who Alabama really wants, so I am a little pessimistic.

All in all, as of April 8, 2019, ND is in a good position to land a Top 10 class with elite talent at the offensive skill positions and along the OL. That is exactly what ND needed in this class. ND still really needs to land 2-3 difference makers in the secondary for this to be a great class, IMO.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 PM

Just an FYI, should be UW

Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I think defensive recruiting is up in the air. I don't love where ND stands in terms of DL recruiting - I think Mills commits soon, but I don't see ND beating out Michigan for McGregror. I don't love a DL class with DEs of Ehrensberger, Yurosek, and Craig. They can all develop into good players, but those guys don't match up skill-wise to Nana or Foskey. However, because of the success recruiting DEs last year, it's not a bad thing to take some developmental guys with good potential. Secondary recruiting is interesting because Phillips, Kimber, and Watts have all had great visits recently and ND is in good shape with all three. That would be a tremendous haul, but I think it is definitely possible. I really don't know about safety - I haven't heard much on Gaines recently, but he comes from a program that ND is familiar with and I think he will eventually end up Irish. I like where ND stands with Ransom and Story, but I get an OSU vibe from Ransom and Story is an Alabama kid who Alabama really wants, so I am a little pessimistic.
As of now, I think ND does better than you think at safety. They are where they need to be and now they need to win the battles. It is a must. As I said above, they are close to having a true program. Elliott and Gilman balling out again this year will go a long way. Lyght/Joseph combo seems to really have it figured out as well. Jordan Johnson helped a lot and Chris Tyree would too. Talent attracts talent.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM

Another big week for visitors. Watts, McMillan, and Botelho are definite takes. Botelho is an OV

Unofficial visit, [4/10]:

NE WR Xavier Watts (Offer)

Unofficial visit, [4/13]:

CA WR Jalen McMillan (Offer)
HI LB Jordan Botelho (Offer)
MA OL Zak Zinter (Offer)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I see Wiltfong just cb'd Chris Tyree to the Irish
Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
ND in great position right. Get through his OU visit this weekend and it could be essentially over
Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Old 04-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Sounds like an ND/OU battle, with Alabama hanging around.

OU already has a commitment from a 5-star RB (Jase McClellan), and they are the favorites to land another 5-star RB (Kendall Milton). Not sure where that puts Tyree on their board, but he will be in Norman this weekend for a big recruiting weekend.

Tyree is supposed to commit this summer - June. Hopefully ND can hold on. He's a true difference maker.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Sounds like an ND/OU battle, with Alabama hanging around.

OU already has a commitment from a 5-star RB (Jase McClellan), and they are the favorites to land another 5-star RB (Kendall Milton). Not sure where that puts Tyree on their board, but he will be in Norman this weekend for a big recruiting weekend.

Tyree is supposed to commit this summer - June. Hopefully ND can hold on. He's a true difference maker.
Id predict ND on his June visit. Mark it down.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Id predict ND on his June visit. Mark it down.
That would be AWESOME!
Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Guessing the University of Duke is out.

Great updates big! I came back to read you and lis updates.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 AM

This was essentially expected

Old 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM

April Class Prediction:

QB - Pyne
RB - Tyree, Murphy
WR - Johnson, Redding, Watts (still feeling out the Henning/McMillan recruitments)
TE - Mayer, Bauman
OL - Baker, Christ, Skoronski (if they have room for 4, than Zinter as well)
Drop - Botelho
SDE - Large (Want to put McGregor, but we know how this stuff usually plays out, I already have likely too many 4/5 stars on this list as is)
DT - Keanaaina, Mills
LB - Simon
CB - Phillips, Kimber, Bartleson (Watts still very much in play)
S - Ransom
ATH - Coleman