Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default ND Stadium Music, Part II

Hearing "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys to start the game is AWESOME. Pretty much think that opponents need to hear this song every time they come into ND stadium because they are going to get the sh*t kicked out of em' by the Irish. Need to play that one a helluva lot more as well as more music (not from the 1980s and 1990s) of this sort. Swear I heard a collective groan from the stadium when Crazy Train started. Funniest part of the game.

Last edited by williamson143; 10-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU

I groaned when I heard Saliva. What goober spins the records there?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Dunno, but I almost head-butted the family dog when I heard "I'm Shipping Up to Boston". Song was meant to be played in Ntre Dame stadium.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson143 View Post
Dunno, but I almost head-butted the family dog when I heard "I'm Shipping Up to Boston". Song was meant to be played in Notre Dame stadium.
It's awesome! The instrumental should be Rockne Stadium's theme song!

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I noticed a clear, positive crowd reaction when "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" came on.

And it'll shock you, but I also heard the same reaction when "ALLLLLL ABOOOOOAAARRDDD!" blasted. They only played it once (from what I heard on the telecast) and once again, people had a positive reaction and the crowd noise definitely got louder when it played.

I'm all for letting them work out the kinks to get something that works. "Enter Sandman" only comes on at Va. Tech during the opening, and on huge third-down plays (and that's IF they play it a second time). "Jump Around" comes on in Madison during the third quarter of every game. If ND finds a couple songs that work, and only plays them in big moments or at the same time every game, I'm all for it.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenboyer View Post
I noticed a clear, positive crowd reaction when "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" came on.

And it'll shock you, but I also heard the same reaction when "ALLLLLL ABOOOOOAAARRDDD!" blasted. They only played it once (from what I heard on the telecast) and once again, people had a positive reaction and the crowd noise definitely got louder when it played.

I'm all for letting them work out the kinks to get something that works. "Enter Sandman" only comes on at Va. Tech during the opening, and on huge third-down plays (and that's IF they play it a second time). "Jump Around" comes on in Madison during the third quarter of every game. If ND finds a couple songs that work, and only plays them in big moments or at the same time every game, I'm all for it.
Give them a season or two., They'll figure out the right songs to play, and after awhile, some will become tradition. In a few years, we'll look back and laugh at Crazy Train!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Did I hear AC/DC?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Did I hear AC/DC?
I believe I heard Thunderstruck played, yes.

I really like "Shipping Up to Boston" to start, and "Crazy Train" for big third downs (very, very sporadically). But I would LOVE to hear the bells from "Hell's Bells" on big third downs as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Name a rock song that has been played in a stadium and it was played yesterday. I get the idea they are just sampling a bunch of songs and seeing what works (at least I hope). It's almost too much of a variety. I think I heard, Thunderstruck, TNT, Hells Bells, Crazy Train, Song #2, Enter Sandman, Chicago Bulls entrance music, Welcome to the Jungle, a Saliva song, and another 4 or 5 songs. Not saying this is good or bad, just that I hope that are just sampling to figure out what works where and we'll get some continuity out of it.

Shipping up to Boston is phenomenal though and I love that as the opening and 2nd half kickoff song. Perfect song for ND.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

michigan's song to pump up the crowd is usually lose yourself by eminem
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Big fan of the "Drop-Kicks", but not so much for a game. I'm not big on rock music and other "new" **** during a game. When does it become border line trashy? I like Kelly as a new Coach, but not sure I'm liking all his "changes" or proposed changes (if he even has anything to do with the music mess)

GO.....IRISH!

Last edited by Finegan; 10-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Name a rock song that has been played in a stadium and it was played yesterday. I get the idea they are just sampling a bunch of songs and seeing what works (at least I hope). It's almost too much of a variety. I think I heard, Thunderstruck, TNT, Hells Bells, Crazy Train, Song #2, Enter Sandman, Chicago Bulls entrance music, Welcome to the Jungle, a Saliva song, and another 4 or 5 songs. Not saying this is good or bad, just that I hope that are just sampling to figure out what works where and we'll get some continuity out of it.

Shipping up to Boston is phenomenal though and I love that as the opening and 2nd half kickoff song. Perfect song for ND.
Nice summary here. Did you take notes? Ha ha. I meant to remember all the songs I heard, but probably would have left some out when reporting back...you nailed it here.

When Crazy Train came on, it was almost as if it was an 'inside joke' to everyone in the stadium, a chuckle, and on with getting pumped up.

To critique the music...some was 'too loud and distorted' but most was just the right volume and fidelity. The students really seemed to love it. As did I.

P.S. Not being Catholic, I was surprised by Hells Bells, I assumed it would be taboo. I don't think Southern Methodist would play Hells Bells, lol.

Last edited by MantyIrish; 10-30-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Did I hear AC/DC?
All we need to play is AC/DC.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

I didn't know the name of the song, but Shipping up to Boston was the *perfect* song for ND stadium. It gets you pumped up, it's certainly Irish-sounding, and it's clean.

My uncle-in-law is "boycotting" ND now because of CBK and he can't stand the changes they are making. That to me is proof that the changes are *working* because he's the kind of guy who goes to a game, sits quietly, and would probably yell at other fans who were standing up and cheering in front of him. Stay home pops, the house that Rockne built needs life and energy, the players will feed off that.

Todd
Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

How long until disabled associations start protesting the use of a song about a guy trying to find his missing prosthetic?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrhodes View Post
I didn't know the name of the song, but Shipping up to Boston was the *perfect* song for ND stadium. It gets you pumped up, it's certainly Irish-sounding, and it's clean.

My uncle-in-law is "boycotting" ND now because of CBK and he can't stand the changes they are making. That to me is proof that the changes are *working* because he's the kind of guy who goes to a game, sits quietly, and would probably yell at other fans who were standing up and cheering in front of him. Stay home pops, the house that Rockne built needs life and energy, the players will feed off that.

Todd
That's just one more ticket available for the rest of us who scream every 3rd down...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant

Hell's bells is not a good song for ND stadium. Come on.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTennant View Post
Hell's bells is not a good song for ND stadium. Come on.
Probably better than "Highway to Hell" though. LOL.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantyIrish View Post
Probably better than "Highway to Hell" though. LOL.
Dub it so it says I'm on the highway to purgatory. We're all doing time in purgatory anyway right?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I, too, was at the game yesterday. When they played "Jump Around", I was surprised that they let it play long enough for everyone to hear "I'll serve your *** like John McEnroe / If your girl steps up I'm smackin' the ho" .
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson143 View Post
Hearing "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys to start the game is AWESOME. Pretty much think that opponents need to hear this song every time they come into ND stadium because they are going to get the sh*t kicked out of em' by the Irish. Need to play that one a helluva lot more as well as more music (not from the 1980s and 1990s) of this sort. Swear I heard a collective groan from the stadium when Crazy Train started. Funniest part of the game.
i like the song, but the lyrics are kinda strange for a game in south bend indiana...

if this does become a kickoff staple, maybe we could just use the instrumental version or possibly get the band to sing it as "shipping up to south bend" or something...?

shipping up to boston is just odd, imo...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
All we need to play is AC/DC.
I love you man...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket31 View Post
i like the song, but the lyrics are kinda strange for a game in south bend indiana...

if this does become a kickoff staple, maybe we could just use the instrumental version or possibly get the band to sing it as "shipping up to south bend" or something...?

shipping up to boston is just odd, imo...
That's thinking about it wayyyyyy too much.

Seriously. Just let the song play. If it gets the student section and the rest of the fans fired up, I don't care if the name of the song is "I'm Shipping Up to Iceland."
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Whoever is spinning there needs to find out about this new technique called...a fade out. Good gravy, it's sound like my mom bustin into my room every time play starts again.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I think the "Shipping off to Boston" is a perfect song for ND to use. It's gotta kind of a hardcore riff that most people know, or have heard somewhere before before. Remember, each song is only played about 10-30 seconds, so you need something that can get you energized with a noticeable hook or guitar riff. The banjos play perfectly into the Fighting Irish theme, and I bet it gets the guys pumped that are ready to run down on the kickoff or return. This is also why Crazy Train is a good song to play, even though it is old. The first 30 seconds gets you going. Unfortunately, it was just a bit overdone on their first try. Also, AC/DC's Thunderstruck has the same kind of hook. Within the first 5 sconds of that, you know what's coming, and people like to shout it! Also, on UND, the most recent Irish Connection showing Teo and a few others while they were playing Jump Around, and you could see that they were feeding off of the music. People may complain, but I am sure the music helps get everyone pumped and gets the juices flowing. Of course, as long as you don't play the same thing every time.