View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp160 View Post
I'm of the opinion that EC should be overhauled. It no longer does what it needs to do.
As an example, take a look at the political map of CA or WA State. It's a couple blue dots surrounded by red. The entire state of Washington deals with whatever laws or politicians Seattle wants voted in. The east side of the state is in open revolt over some of the stuff that's been voted in lately.
A solution might be to break the electoral college down even further. Perhaps an electoral vote awarded by county? There would probably have to be a way to weight large counties vs small counties, but it might encourage more people to vote AND it would force candidates to have to account for less populated areas. Think how you'd feel if you were a Republican in CA or a Democrat in Idaho. It would seem like your vote doesn't count for ****. The country is devolving into a urban vs rural debate in my opinion, and that has to be accounted for somehow.
I agree with your premise quite a bit actually. Heck, Californians are so fed up with it that they are trying to petition a separate state because the entire state (which is very large) is run by the major cities on the west coast of the state. A republican in California will never have their voice heard.

I do think having all EC votes of a particular state go one direction is out-dated. For example, California is probably 90% Democrat, 10% Republican... so maybe their EC votes should reflect that. Obviously, the same is very true for every state, but California is one of the most one-sided states in the country with a MASSIVE population. California is the main reason why the EC still needs to exist... otherwise they would determine everything for the entire country.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!